Forum Settings
Forums

Is Sex a necessity for Psychological Well-being?

New
Sep 17, 2014 7:50 PM

Sep 2013
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 17, 2014 7:54 PM

Jul 2014
Studies show that both men’s and women’s sense of sexual well-being significantly correlate with their general life satisfaction and physiological function.

So yes.
Sep 17, 2014 7:54 PM

Jan 2009
there are people who are called asexuals that do not desire sex

if you feel you are deprive of sex and you badly need it then go for a paid service if you cannot socialize and get sex in a normal way
Sep 17, 2014 7:55 PM

Jan 2013
j0x said:

if you feel you are deprive of sex and you badly need it then go for a paid service if you cannot socialize and get sex in a normal way

I personally don't believe in this.

Chemical imbalance can lead to a weak sex drive, but all human beings seek to procreate.
Sep 17, 2014 8:01 PM

Oct 2012
not for everybody. i mean, some people just dont like sex and sex makes them sad bc or medical problems of past experiences or whatever and theyre just happy doing other stuff. idk. ive had periods of time where im having tons of sex and ive had periods of time where im having no sex and felt no different. i mean is the reason you want to have sex bc you just think sex sounds really great or bc the world says you should be having sex? if its the second one dont even worry about it the world doesnt know what you need.
Sep 17, 2014 8:06 PM

Oct 2012
Subjective.
Sep 17, 2014 8:07 PM

Feb 2008
It would probably manifest in another way, that's generally how things like that work. While sex would calm you and give you that sense of relaxation in the moment, as soon as that moment is over everything would be back to how it was. You'd have to be having the feeling of orgasm 24/7 to quell anything else, and that's just addiction, you could use anything else to get the same reaction - alcohol, drugs, etc.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
VudisSep 19, 2014 1:42 PM
Anime figure reviews:

Jul 2014
All the sex in the world won't fix underlying insecurities. If you can't stand being alone with yourself, it's something that needs to be addressed.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
VudisSep 19, 2014 1:42 PM

Jan 2009
imagine the suffering (if there is any) of the catholic priests that abstain from sex too and how about the nuns?

SolviteSekai said:
j0x said:

Chemical imbalance can lead to a weak sex drive, but all human beings seek to procreate.

its the wonders of evolution i guess

Apr 2014
Your insecurity about being a virgin would disappear, but your insecurity about being loved would not.

Having sex won't cure you.
Sep 17, 2014 8:08 PM

Nov 2008
Nope, not at all.

Sep 17, 2014 8:09 PM

Mar 2011
Theaterofhope said:
Thinking thoughts like these

Yep, that link pretty much sums me up. I last had sex a decade ago, and it was with a clinically insane person who tried practicing wicca to get pregnant. That's not the reason they were insane, just a weird fact about them.

I do feel unwanted, and that fact in no way helps me find a significant other in any way imaginable. It's a tragic, spiraling issue that occupies my mind for at least an hour every single day.

So to answer OP's question, yes, it definitely affects one's psychological well-being. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, I know this from living it.
Sep 17, 2014 8:09 PM

Jan 2013
sex probably affects serotonin and dopamine levels, and can function as exercise, so yes it would probably affect depression.
Sep 17, 2014 8:10 PM

Jan 2009
causeez said:
Your insecurity about being a virgin would disappear, but your insecurity about being loved would not.

Having sex won't cure you.

agreed
Sep 17, 2014 8:10 PM

Aug 2014
If you want something, you're going to feel pretty awful if you don't get it. That goes for anything.
Sep 17, 2014 8:12 PM

Sep 2013
I guess I can't get a solid answer because issact in a similar boat says it does negatively affect you. Everyone who had sex says it doesn't.

Where is the greener grass???
sigh
Sep 17, 2014 8:18 PM

Oct 2011
SolviteSekai said:
j0x said:

That is actually a huge load of bullshit. I'm active withing the LGBTQ community, and I can assure you that asexuality is definitely a thing. I've met many asexual folks in my life, and they are certainly very real, and don't just "have a weak sex drive".
Time waits for no one...

DrunkenBlowfish said:
Ho-oh, I'd imagine its like a Skittles flavored turkey.

Sep 17, 2014 8:19 PM

Aug 2014
Theaterofhope said:
I guess I can't get a solid answer because issact in a similar boat says it does negatively affect you. Everyone who had sex says it doesn't.

Where is the greener grass???
sigh

Well, there really is no "correct" answer.
The only one who knows you is you.
Sep 17, 2014 8:21 PM

Jan 2013
ACTUALLY having sex for the first time is like opening the flood gates.

youll want it a lot more once youve had sex a few times.
Sep 17, 2014 8:21 PM
Nov 2008
not necessarily, but it can sure as heck help.
Sep 17, 2014 8:22 PM
Jun 2014
SolviteSekai said:

What's so good about sex, anyways?
Sep 17, 2014 8:24 PM
Nov 2008
Revelry said:
SolviteSekai said:

a lot of things, but what you're enjoying depends on if you're having regular old sex or 'passionate loving sex'.

eh, i think maitai and i discussed this on length in some thread a few months ago. cbf to do it again.
Sep 17, 2014 8:25 PM

Jan 2013
Revelry said:
SolviteSekai said:

i think the human subconcious just impulsively desires it.

dity said:
Revelry said:
a lot of things, but what you're enjoying depends on if you're having regular old sex or 'passionate loving sex'.

eh, i think maitai and i discussed this on length in some thread a few months ago. cbf to do it again.

>implying that passionate sex feels better than dirty anonymous sex.

it depends on the person.
Sep 17, 2014 8:25 PM

Sep 2013
Revelry said:
Um..Your banner sig thingy?

dity said:

I should have put a poll asking if it makes you at peace more psychologically. And add four options. If your a virgin or not + your opinion.

THEN I will see results
Sep 17, 2014 8:27 PM

Jan 2009
Theaterofhope said:

dity said:

I should have put a poll asking if it makes you at peace more psychologically. And add four options. If your a virgin or not + your opinion.

THEN I will see results

you do not need a poll in order to make a decision just do it already its just sex
Sep 17, 2014 8:27 PM

Jan 2013
Theaterofhope said:
Revelry said:
Um..Your banner sig thingy?

dity said:

THEN I will see results

This isnt even a question.

Anything that favorably alters your dopamine and serotonin levels is good for you psychologically.

Sex is a form of exercise and it gets your libido going which is good for your chemical balance.

There is no question here.
Sep 17, 2014 8:28 PM
Nov 2008
SolviteSekai said:
>implying that passionate sex feels better than dirty anonymous sex.

it depends on the person.
i never said one felt better than the other, just that i file different kinds of sex into those categories. you can have regular old sex with a partner you love, too.
Sep 17, 2014 8:35 PM

Jul 2012
That would depend on what you want out of relationships.
Sep 17, 2014 8:39 PM

Apr 2009
I really don't care about it at all

I've had it before, but I don't desire it and I personally think there are more important things to me
Sep 17, 2014 8:42 PM

Jun 2014
Nope, its just fun.
Sep 17, 2014 9:49 PM
Jul 2018
If I'm horny I fap. No need for a dick. Not sure how men survive with their sexual needs.
Sep 17, 2014 10:19 PM

Jan 2014
Sex might not be necessary for psychological well-being, but the company of other human beings may be.

After all, "It is not good for man to be alone." -God
Sep 17, 2014 10:27 PM

Apr 2012
Only if you crave it a lot. Ive not had sex yet too, but I am not that distressed about it. Its not that I do not desire it, Im not asexual, but I guess my sex drive is just really weak. My laziness, getting a woman to sleep with you, going trough maybe boring shit (boring conversations) or even having to start a relationship in order to do that, and circumstances like hardcore christian mother, which dont allow me to pick up some drunk chic in a club, those things are just way bigger than my sex drive. I'll just have sex when I move out and there is a easy way to have it, big deal. Who knows maybe by then I'll even be interested in relationships.

Also there are no futas in RL, lol.
Sep 17, 2014 10:27 PM

Nov 2012
If you want sex, yes.
Sep 17, 2014 10:34 PM

Jan 2012
No, no psychological disadvantages of not getting any...
...unless you choose to hate yourself over it.

Just go fap and get it out of your system.

Sex is not a necessity, but if you can't handle the horniness...
...your body doesn't care how you release it.

NyaaSep 17, 2014 10:39 PM
Sep 17, 2014 11:14 PM

Jan 2014
You don't need sex to live. It's the bastardization of it in the media that has all these teenagers so horny and lustful.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 17, 2014 11:17 PM

Oct 2012
no but thats just me though
RRRRRRRRRR
Sep 18, 2014 12:10 AM

Aug 2014
In my shitty opinion that no-one likes, sex isn't a necessity for anything.
Sep 18, 2014 12:14 AM

Oct 2011
Maybe it's not the no sex itself that is damaging but the obsession of thinking about sex.
Sep 18, 2014 1:30 AM

Mar 2014
I'm 17 and never had sex. Just fap. And that too rarely. I must be a hero
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Sep 18, 2014 1:58 AM

Jan 2013
Yes, it is! In fact, according to Maslow hierarchy of human needs, sex is actually among basic needs just like sleeping and eating.

Well, I wouldn't put things exactly this way since, unlike privation from food, you don't die in a matter of days If you don't have sex. But I totally agree that at some extent it is a basic need. Total abstinence on the long term would mess with your psyche.
Sep 18, 2014 3:01 AM

Jul 2014
No, of course it's not a necessity. There's many other ways to get serotonin...
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Sep 18, 2014 3:04 AM

Feb 2012
Rothion said:
Chocolate! Lots of CHOCOLATE!
Sep 18, 2014 5:11 AM

Sep 2013
Rothion said:

I didn't ask if it's a a 'plus' or relaxant like taking drugs to relieve your addiction (note I don't take drugs). I'm asking whether or not if there is a period of inactivity does it take a bad toll on you. And the only solution for that toll is...Anyway this thread is pathetic on my part. I should probably read about this instead of asking here
Sep 18, 2014 6:45 AM

Sep 2013
He misinterpreted it

Sex is mentioned at the bottom next to sleep and water but reading into the Wiki article it means 'human sexual instinct' should be a basic need while the actual sex should be at the third level of 'Love/Belonging'
Sep 18, 2014 6:50 AM

Jul 2014
Theaterofhope said:
He misinterpreted it

Sex is mentioned at the bottom next to sleep and water but reading into the Wiki article it means 'human sexual instinct' should be a basic need while the actual sex should be at the third level of 'Love/Belonging'

Agreed. It's important to differentiate between sex and sexual intimacy. You can have sex with anyone. Intimacy is a different story.
Sep 18, 2014 6:52 AM

Sep 2013
Aerodust said:
Theaterofhope said:
He misinterpreted it

That's why it's important to differentiate between sex and sexual intimacy. You can have sex with anyone. Intimacy is a different story.

Then you are agreeing with him that sex (which is just sex intimate or not) belongs at the bottom. I am confused.
Sep 18, 2014 7:02 AM

Jul 2014
Theaterofhope said:
Aerodust said:

That's why it's important to differentiate between sex and sexual intimacy. You can have sex with anyone. Intimacy is a different story.

Then you are agreeing with him that sex (which is just sex intimate or not) belongs at the bottom. I am confused.

You are correct. I misread the post. My bad.
Sep 18, 2014 7:40 AM

Dec 2013
Yes I believe it can affect you cognitively in a negative way. Though it depends on a number of things as to whether or not it does. If you place importance on sex to the point where you view yourself as inferior to others without it, then you'll definitely experience some depression and a need to have sex in order to feel "normal". At the same time even if you don't place direct importance on sex. Pent up sexual tension not released through sex or masturbation can have an affect on your thoughts.

You might start objectifying women more without realizing it. This said you could train your mind to be less susceptible to these thoughts along with ignoring them when they occur and carrying on with your day. It really boils down to how much you value sexual stimulation and the thoughts related to it. While an instinct it's not a necessity for psychological well being.
Sep 18, 2014 8:03 AM

Aug 2013
It's probably not, unless you've decided that your life revolves around sex, and in which case you should go get sum. It's just another physiological need to me, and there are plenty of other things in life that I value more that play a part in my psychological well-being, like self-actualization and having friends, safety, and so on.

I'm not going to lie, I have a high libido and an ocean of fetishes, so of course I think that sex is awesome, but it's not a major factor in my life. That would've been depressing.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Has anyone ever told you in real life that "You are enough"?

LenRea - Apr 30

43 by Eleben »»
22 seconds ago

» why are the nordic countries so happy? ( 1 2 )

deg - Mar 29

83 by LoveYourEyes »»
28 seconds ago

» I got a girlfriend recently and she gets really emotional when i pay for things for her. Why do you think that is?

TheBlockernator - 4 hours ago

12 by _Nette_ »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Bear or Man?

_Nette_ - 10 hours ago

15 by KitsuFrost »»
22 minutes ago

» How do you travel daily

ST63LTH - Yesterday

20 by Dachitosoru »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.