Forum Settings
Forums

Malaysia airliner crashes in east Ukraine near Russia border

New
Jul 17, 2014 9:33 AM

May 2011
"A Malaysian airliner reportedly with 295 people on board has crashed in Ukraine near the Russian border, on a flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.

Malaysia Airlines said it had lost contact with Flight MH17 from Amsterdam. The last known position was over Ukraine, it said in a tweet.

...A defence expert has told the BBC that shooting down a plane at 10,000m (9.7 miles) would have required a long- range surface-to-air missile - possibly guided by radar.

That suggests it is unlikely it could have been downed by a portable air defence missile, or Manpad, which has a much shorter range."

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28354856
I don't understand. What reason could anyone have for shooting down a passenger plane? Those poor people. I'm feeling ill looking at my Twitter feed right now because this is just ridiculous. R.I.P.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 17, 2014 9:39 AM

May 2014
I assume that this is a cover story to stop people realizing Adolf Hitler and his army of Nazi Alien's from Mars took the lost flight MH370 and summoned Cthulhu to teleport them forward in time on to Ukraine in an attempt to gain revenge over the Russians and destroy Putin's attempt of world domination.
I've been here way too long...
Jul 17, 2014 9:40 AM

Nov 2008
Well it was in the middle of a warzone, the risk of being shot down is almost certain in a warzone. One of those porta SAMs done pegged it down.

Jul 17, 2014 9:40 AM

Jun 2009

I know which airline I won't be flying with in the near future...

This is actually pretty sad.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2014 9:52 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Hoppy said:
Well it was in the middle of a warzone, the risk of being shot down is almost certain in a warzone. One of those porta SAMs done pegged it down.

Wasn't a jet shot down near that area yesterday?

If so, the captain of the Malaysian Plane should have taken a different route to avoid any danger.

Jul 17, 2014 10:07 AM

Jun 2009
SweetKotomi said:
Hoppy said:

If so, the captain of the Malaysian Plane should have taken a different route to avoid any danger.

You're talking about a nation that employ the help of hoodoo priest to find missing plane via coconut and bamboo binocular... And you think they have logic?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2014 10:24 AM

Sep 2008
SweetKotomi said:
Hoppy said:

The Ukrainian government has said it's safe to fly over 5000 m because the rebels don't have the means to shoot down planes at such altitude. Now they're contradicting their words and blame rebels for shooting the plane which was flying at over 10000 m. It's not up to pilot to just change routes on a whim, they fly where they've been directed to.

Also, the plane crashed in the zone controlled by the rebels and the Ukrainian military couldn't have possibly gotten to the crash site, let alone confirming the exact cause of the crash but they announced the plane was shot down by rebels just some 30 minutes after the crash.

So IF (and that's one huge "IF") the plane was indeed shot, it should be pretty clear who did that. Especially since they have a history of shooting down passenger planes (in 2001).
Jul 17, 2014 10:32 AM

Sep 2007
Supposedly shot down by a Buk SAM system while the aircraft was at 33k ft altitude. Strelkov also tweeted that they had shot down a AN-26 then later deleted it...
Jul 17, 2014 10:40 AM

Sep 2008
Wasabi said:
Supposedly shot down by a Buk SAM system while the aircraft was at 33k altitude. Strelkov also tweeted that they had shot down a AN-26 then later deleted it...

Yeah, the Ukrainian vice-minister of foreign affs was interviewed by a Russian TV channel right now and claimed some peasants from a nearby village were able to identify that Buk SAM system which was brought from Russia specially to shoot down this aircraft (no kidding about the peasants part). Unfortunately, the peasants didn't have cameras or other means to take pictures of the aforementioned system so he couldn't present any more evidence of its existence.

And yeah, AN-26 was indeed shot earlier today, but that was at 3000 m altitude and nobody actually denied that.
Jul 17, 2014 10:52 AM

Mar 2014
Malaysia gets all the bad luck with planes these days it seems . . .

It's really tragic.

Atleast we know for sure what happened this time.
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Jul 17, 2014 11:18 AM

Sep 2008
StardustNyako said:

Atleast we know for sure what happened this time.

Not really. The Ukrainian rebel forces are afraid to come close to crash site as they would make an easy target for the army, so the remains of the plane could be raided by marauders and there's a chance we'll never learn the truth.
Jul 17, 2014 11:24 AM
Mar 2012
Somehow came across this twitter account. I obviously don't know what most of the content says, but the pictures speak for themselves. https://twitter.com/NOVORUSSIA2015

Probably going to further ignite the international conflict.
Jul 17, 2014 11:28 AM

Sep 2008
Also, some sources report now that the actual target could've been Russian Air Force One (Putin's personal aircraft). Both planes were following the same route and passing the same points with a difference of 20 minutes, although that was closer to Ukrainian-Polish border and they went into diferent directions shortly afterwards.

edit: yep, that's what the link Karpman posted says as well
Jul 17, 2014 11:36 AM

Nov 2008
Karpman said:
Somehow came across this twitter account. I obviously don't know what most of the content says, but the pictures speak for themselves. https://twitter.com/NOVORUSSIA2015

Probably going to further ignite the international conflict.

That plane was obliterated, heads are going to roll at Malaysia Airlines for sure, you don't fly in or near a war zone.

Jul 17, 2014 11:40 AM

Apr 2012
Just saw this on CNN. Rip

Jul 17, 2014 11:52 AM

Oct 2013
I have read about it a few hours ago. Sad shit...
Jul 17, 2014 12:28 PM

Sep 2011
Keep your "*Look at profile*" comments away from this thread. No one cares what country you're from.
Jul 17, 2014 1:18 PM

Apr 2013
Alright then, I'll use another approach similar to the one above and stay on topic.

1) this wasn't a crash, multiple sources point to the fact that the plane was indeed shot down https://twitter.com/NoahSneider/status/489845186345062400 *too many to quote/link*

2) russian rebels shot down an ukrainian fighter jet yesterday in the same area http://online.wsj.com/articles/ukraine-accuses-russia-of-shooting-down-fighter-jet-1405600196

3) no words needed for that .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5E8kDo2n6g

If this was indeed not a plane crash, then all facts seems to indicate that this was done, voluntarily or not, by russian forces.
Jul 17, 2014 1:27 PM

Apr 2012
This incident would be a great piece of propaganda.

Jul 17, 2014 1:48 PM

Jul 2011
Zeally said:
This incident would be a great piece of propaganda.

And I'm sure it will become just that. Too bad for the passengers, that's just horrible for them and their families/friends.
Jul 17, 2014 1:59 PM

Oct 2009
ban malaysia airliner
Jul 17, 2014 2:05 PM

Nov 2012
That's why kids shouldn't play with fireworks...

Seems like it's biggest disaster caused by retardness. I wonder how is feeling person which pressed the button.

Too much vodka.
Jul 17, 2014 2:26 PM

Apr 2008
This is really, really sad. The rebels control the area of the crash and that means they will probably find the black box first. This is bad on all levels.

EDIT: Recording of a conversation released by the Security Service of Ukraine:
ZatoichiJul 17, 2014 2:33 PM
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Jul 17, 2014 2:30 PM

May 2014
Hmm propaganda? Maybe.

It's always Malaysian airlines.... Coincidence? Maybe.
Jul 17, 2014 3:07 PM

Jun 2008
RandomChampion said:
ban malaysia airliner

First ever ban I support.
Jul 17, 2014 3:46 PM

Jun 2009

Saw a crash site video...

The dead bodies... They're so messed up some of them look fake... They legit look fake.

I urge you guys to not let your curiosity get ahead of you and seek videos and pictures of the crash site out... I sincerely mean it.
Jul 17, 2014 3:52 PM

Mar 2013
Looks and smells like a false flag event to me.

Jul 17, 2014 3:59 PM

Oct 2013
AirStyles said:

The dead bodies... They're so messed up some of them look fake... They legit look fake.

I urge you guys to not let your curiosity get ahead of you and seek videos and pictures of the crash site out... I sincerely mean it.

liveleak one is legit bruh
Jul 17, 2014 4:04 PM

Sep 2008
https://twitter.com/spainbuca/status/489813837013848065
Would like a proper translation of this by some Spanish speaker.
A Spanish air traffic manager working in Kiev airport apparently reports the plane was approached by two ukrainian military jets before disappearing from radars.
https://twitter.com/spainbuca/status/489835522849009664
And this as well. Again, would like a proper translation.

edit: browsed the guy's twitter a bit more... doesn't seem fake but rather... biased nonetheless. So I would take it with a grain of salt I guess, although it's still interesting what does he write.
seishi-samaJul 17, 2014 4:14 PM
Jul 17, 2014 4:06 PM

Sep 2013
well this sure is starting my day off great
wow
Jul 17, 2014 4:08 PM

Jun 2009
masochist-san said:
AirStyles said:

liveleak one is legit bruh

I know they're legit, I just never knew a human body can end up looking like that
Jul 17, 2014 4:15 PM
Apr 2014
So ww3?
"Chinese cartoons was a mistake"

Hayao Miyazaki
Jul 17, 2014 4:16 PM

Nov 2008
Rakaxo said:
So ww3?

We won't have WWIII as long as that plane had no Americans aboard.

Jul 17, 2014 4:16 PM

Sep 2008
Hoppy said:
Rakaxo said:
So ww3?

It did have like, 28 of them.
Jul 17, 2014 4:17 PM

Sep 2007
ProRussian separatists in possession of black box. They intend to hand if off to Russia...
Jul 17, 2014 4:18 PM

Nov 2008
seishi-sama said:
Hoppy said:

It did have like, 28 of them.

Well fuck, my country is confirmed to collapse economically from fighting another war (and one we have no business fighting at all).

Jul 17, 2014 4:32 PM
Jul 2018
It's been a crazy morning so far.

I can only imagine how this lady felt:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/10282492/MH17-My-lucky-escape
Jul 17, 2014 4:57 PM

Jul 2009
Just some pointers to summarize the situation:
0. Strelkov (DNR MoD) does not have a social network account. He said that many times in the past. So any reports coming from him on VK, Facebook, or elsewhere have nothing to do with the real Strelkov. The only official source of information on behalf of the rebels is http://icorpus.ru
1. The plane was shot down at 33,000 feet (around 10 km) altitude.
2. Until today the rebels shot down Ukrainian military planes by using MANPADs.
3. The maximum range of a MANPAD (Strela) is around 4 km.
4. The only thing that could shoot down the Malasya plane would be either the mid-range SAM BUK-M1, or a long-range SAM S-300, all of which are in the possession of the Ukrainian military.
5. Yes, about a month ago the rebels reported that they had captured a BUK-M1. However the photos they posted was only of the loading vehicle. To operate BUK-M1 you need 2 additional support vehicles, which provide for navigation and target detection, as well as around 30 trained soldiers who know how to operate it. Without them the BUK-M1 is a useless piece of metal.
6. Along with the movement of Kiev's ATO forces in eastern Ukraine, plenty of Ukrainian BUKs have been put on high alert to repel any Russian aircraft violating Ukraine's airspace.
7. The Ukrainian military has a trackrecord for shooting down civilian aircraft. Back in 2001 they by mistake shot down a Russian airliner killing 70 civilians on board: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...r.html
8. Lastly, I find it unpleasantly convenient for this incident to have occurred around the same time Kiev's forces were forced to retreat as result of being cut off and hammered by Grads on pretty much all fronts.
Jul 17, 2014 5:01 PM

Jul 2013
I don't know what to believe these days. Conspiracists manage to turn everything into a government conspiracy, but likewise it seems governments tend to alter and omit information to save their own skin. Hopefully when the UN does an international investigation we will learn some things.

It's best just to let the professionals do their things. A bunch of nobodies on the internet using potentially false information are not really in a position to be trying to figure this out (especially considering how it is so easy to just spread rumors or create fake "evidence").

Tsundereppoi said:

0. Strelkov (DNR MoD) does not have a social network account. He said that many times in the past. So any reports coming from him on VK, Facebook, or elsewhere have nothing to do with the real Strelkov.
Sums up perfectly what I was saying before; it is incredibly easy to start up rumors and fake evidence on the internet.

On a different note, I like how Putin comes in and conveniently puts the blame on, wait for it, Russia's enemy. Bias, what bias?
MinagatachiJul 17, 2014 5:12 PM
Jul 17, 2014 5:21 PM

Apr 2013
Wasabi said:
ProRussian separatists in possession of black box. They intend to hand if off to Russia...
they better not.. shit will go down if they do.
Jul 17, 2014 5:23 PM

Jan 2013
uh said:
"A Malaysian airliner reportedly with 295 people on board has crashed in Ukraine near the Russian border, on a flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.

Malaysia Airlines said it had lost contact with Flight MH17 from Amsterdam. The last known position was over Ukraine, it said in a tweet.

...A defence expert has told the BBC that shooting down a plane at 10,000m (9.7 miles) would have required a long- range surface-to-air missile - possibly guided by radar.

That suggests it is unlikely it could have been downed by a portable air defence missile, or Manpad, which has a much shorter range."

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28354856
I don't understand. What reason could anyone have for shooting down a passenger plane? Those poor people. I'm feeling ill looking at my Twitter feed right now because this is just ridiculous. R.I.P.

As someone from a Military family of some Russian descent, I would like to clarify some things in the light of this tragedy.

Who and why the target was and why all this happened can be for any number of reasons. Targeting systems on advanced military missile hardware belonging to both the USA and the Russian Federation are capable of identifying incoming airplanes as Civilian, Military, and Country of Origin.

This is often referred to as IFF, Identify, Friend or Foe. It is possible that the electronic transponder systems in MH17 displayed an incorrect nation code and any of the three possible perpetrators--West or East Ukraine, or Russia--could have fired in haste and in emergency.

If no friendly code is detected the defense system in the missile hardware goes into alert mode, and prompts the users to fire immediately upon entering range.

This has happened in the past, committed by various nations. Let us remember Flights MH17, KAL007, and IAF655--casualties of war. As well as a Royal Air Force Tornado GR4 & US Navy F/A-18C that were shot down by American Patriot Missile Systems during Operation Iraqi Freedom.

As for the two Ukrainian SU-25's that were shot down prior to the incident--Of the SU-25 line, SU-25B (commonly used by the Ukrainian army) are low flying aircraft that portable missile launchers such as Stingers or SA-18 Iglas could have easily pegged, given that the SU-25B lacked anti-missile systems such as jammers or flares.

I think perhaps the greatest thing to remember is that this is a tragedy, and I honestly hope that the world stop simply pointing figures and completely and utterly disrespecting those who had fallen and died.

Anything can happen in a warzone, particularly when you have a desperate Ukrainian President Poroshenko who is willing to do whatever he can to hold onto his regime. The same can be said of Assad's Authoritarian Syria.

Let us pray for the deaths and hope no more come of it.

That being said, pilots should plan accordingly and fly around the zone.
I stand with Freedom, no matter the cost, no matter the price.

Jul 17, 2014 5:57 PM

Jul 2013
so a device that is used for defense has.... damn.
Jul 17, 2014 6:26 PM

Jan 2009
SweetKotomi said:
Hoppy said:

Well on the one hand, they might have not realized the intensity of the danger they were in and apparently, they were even assured that flying in a height of 10k km would be safe.
On the other hand, airlines tend to save so much on fuel that each flight might barely manage it to their destination:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_starvation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=N9KfR4pGMxc#t=63,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K-rNRp-9dg
Last but not least, it seems still unbelievable that flying over a country in Europe could be as dangerous as flying over a crisis region in the near east. I don't care which side wins at the end of the conflict, however I wish that the conflict will be put to an end as soon as possible.
NoboruJul 29, 2014 8:20 AM
Jul 17, 2014 7:06 PM

Sep 2007
nucleon said:
The core evidence will be the black box and the wreckage itself, supporting evidence would be like videos of the plane falling, eye witnesses, satellite images from different countries, information supplied by the airlines and the ATC before the crash. Military radar & satellites.

US said it's shot down: US intelligence found a heat signature from "a massive event" and also had "information from intelligence assets" confirming the use of a surface-to-air missile system

- many of the deceased were AIDs researchers, activists and officials on their way to the International AIDs Conference in Melbourne
- 80 of the deceased were children

RIP

It does feel odd, both Ukraine and Malaysia Airlines have been top news recently, now they combined to have another.

RIP science
Jul 17, 2014 7:12 PM

Sep 2013
Pretty sure this was just an accident. The separatists prolly wanted to down an Ukrainian fighter jet and hit the plane instead. Military aircraft have lots of ways to distract and confuse guided missiles, so maybe the plane was just at the wrong place to the wrong time.

Or it was a false flag operation by Ukraine to blame it on Russia or the separatists. Though I think that's unlikely.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Jul 17, 2014 8:19 PM
May 2014
Interesting: PM Modi's flight was an hour behind on same route as MH17

Also:

At the time of the flight... there were astoundingly few other planes in flight in Ukraine.

(Source: http://www.firstpost.com/world/live-pm-modis-flight-was-an-hour-behind-on-same-route-as-mh17-1623115.html)

brandisJul 17, 2014 8:24 PM
Jul 17, 2014 8:25 PM

Nov 2008
brandis said:

Also:

At the time of the flight... there were astoundingly few other planes in flight in Ukraine.

(Source: http://www.firstpost.com/world/live-pm-modis-flight-was-an-hour-behind-on-same-route-as-mh17-1623115.html)

Incompetence all around, for the love of God, don't fly into known war zones, plan an alternate route, many pilots and other aviation staff responsible for planning the routes should be fired.

Jul 17, 2014 9:37 PM

Dec 2010
brandis said:

Also:

That image was taken AFTER the plane went down. In other words, everyone told their pilots to get the fuck out of Ukraine. I posted it a few posts above yours, but regardless, that image is certainly not from "the time of the flight"
Jul 17, 2014 10:11 PM

Oct 2013
RIP :(
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.