Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Nov 20, 2011 10:24 PM

Sep 2011
Woah... wtf... wtf.. WTF!!! I was in such denial throughout this whole episode. Ahhh I am so sad and so curious how this is going to end. K brb watching the last episode! D=
Nov 25, 2011 2:16 AM

Oct 2011
I was sure that episode 8 was all dreams. I wasn't as quick or smart as the rest of you. So when I watched this episode....aw....it hit hard :'(
Dec 30, 2011 10:53 AM

Jun 2009
So the first dream in ep. 8 wasn't a dream... I thought that second dream was reality not the first. Well done. And the whole Yuuki disappearing should've convinced people who still weren't sure if Yuuki is dead.
Jan 23, 2012 10:28 PM

Aug 2011
"What would you do if I died?"...
mfw i realized what was going on
Jun 10, 2012 3:10 PM

Jul 2009
What a load of shit. This was suppose to be the perfect anime that portrays the emotions/situations of the aftermath of an earthquake. And now they're going so far to add in some psychosis shit. Fuck that. Should've kept it plain and simple. This just went from a 9 -> possibly a 7. And I highly doubt that last episode will up for it.

Sigh, I really enjoyed that grandpa scene (the one who lost his grandchildren) and the numerous scenes of Mari and Yuuki. But ugh. This now just feels like a House episode. And they better explain how Yuuki died cause all I've seen were signs of fatigue and maybe a mild fever, but it shouldn't be anything that can kill a healthy child who - according to Mirai - never been to the hospital for any serious illnesses. So, logically it just doesn't make sense.
KurogashiJun 10, 2012 3:37 PM
Jun 23, 2012 3:02 PM

Jul 2011
imredjimmy said:
I was sure that episode 8 was all dreams. I wasn't as quick or smart as the rest of you. So when I watched this episode....aw....it hit hard :'(

I just happen to read discussion from episode 9. Totally spoiled. :/

It's weird... usually I notice this stuff. o.o

I was so happy when he was playing with the other kids afterwards too. ><
Jul 7, 2012 12:11 AM
Jul 2018
I was mainly thrown off by Yuuki's death because of, again, this supposedly being a fictionalized take on a realistic disaster. Y'know, most series based in reality don't have too many ghost kids.

I just want to know how this ends now. That was probably the big reveal, but I gotta see what's next.
Aug 31, 2012 11:47 PM

Jan 2012
Oh my, I would have been more shocked if the people in the episode 9 discussion weren't assholes and spoiled his death. I actually thought that he was alive this entire time :(
Oct 28, 2012 9:03 AM

May 2012
Damn so he really did die :'( that explains why Mirai rushed out with his back but he was still holding it on his back... Really sad :( I do wonder what the cause would have been!

Still a great episode but such a sad ending :(
Nov 26, 2012 2:01 PM

Jul 2012
theblur said:
"What would you do if I died?"...
mfw i realized what was going on

+1

D':
Jan 9, 2013 8:58 PM

Aug 2012
Kurogashi said:
What a load of shit. This was suppose to be the perfect anime that portrays the emotions/situations of the aftermath of an earthquake. And now they're going so far to add in some psychosis shit. Fuck that. Should've kept it plain and simple. This just went from a 9 -> possibly a 7. And I highly doubt that last episode will up for it.

Agreed..I feel like they totally strayed from the premise by jerking the viewer around for the last three episodes..and i get that it is realistic that people would be suffering psychologically, but I just think they took that too far and spent way too much time trying to make us second guess ourselves just to build up for the dramatic moment.

Maybe I just really didn't want Yuuki to die, but at this point I dont even care how it ends..I won't be remembering this as a realistic portrayal of the aftermath of an earthquake, rather it'll be "that earthquake anime that went away from its premise to be all psychological(almost supernatural) and take advantage of the viewers emotions.
Feb 9, 2013 8:34 PM

May 2012
Shit. Yuuki is dead... was really surprised about that..
Feb 11, 2013 2:27 PM

Sep 2011
So it's been finally 'revealed'. Though as a lot of people I also expected it ever since the hospital episode.
I think it was stretched out too long, especially in this episode since the disappearing and reappearing got too cheesy. I enjoyed the classroom and other emotional scenes though.
Wonder how this will all end. I don't really want to see Mirai breaking down even more now. Mari might also probably appear with the bag and the present either in an epilogue scene or not long after Mirai reunites with her parents.
May 15, 2013 11:29 PM

Dec 2012
Can't say I'm surprised that Mirai was hallucinating about Yuuki but it's still sad to lose him.
Jun 2, 2013 2:20 PM

Apr 2013
i shed a tear when he said he was dead, i knew he was but just him saying it. :')
Jul 4, 2013 10:30 AM
Jul 2009
for the people who said we spoiled it in the other ep discussions.. it was so bloody obvious @_@ Why else would they even add the scene where her brother died if it didn't really happen?
Kurogashi said:
What a load of shit. This was suppose to be the perfect anime that portrays the emotions/situations of the aftermath of an earthquake. And now they're going so far to add in some psychosis shit. Fuck that. Should've kept it plain and simple. This just went from a 9 -> possibly a 7. And I highly doubt that last episode will up for it..
UserDeletedJul 4, 2013 10:36 AM
Aug 7, 2013 7:56 AM

Oct 2011
rlayer said:
I was mainly thrown off by Yuuki's death because of, again, this supposedly being a fictionalized take on a realistic disaster. Y'know, most series based in reality don't have too many ghost kids.

It's not a ghost, it is Mirai's mind working through the trauma.
Aug 30, 2013 9:49 AM

Mar 2011
The moment I saw him play football with the other kids I realized he had died. The fact that there was no interaction with him other than by his sister, reinforced this as well. Lastly, when you see Mari holding his backpack, then moments later he's wearing it on their truck ride, it's painfully obvious what was going on.
Mr. Wonsworth, you may NOT eat my scones!
Oct 14, 2013 5:10 AM
Aug 2011
Am I the only one who didn't realize? -_-
Oct 25, 2013 1:29 AM
May 2013
My answer for Yuuki from the beginning of the episode:

I wonder why this anime doesn't have psychological in it's genres .
Dec 16, 2013 3:51 PM

Oct 2008
I didn't think he had died until they got in the classroom, I was annoyed at him constantly being missing but I didn't think anything of it because I kept telling myself there's no way that he's dead. Thinking back the signs were obviously there but dying so abruptly was never once in my mind as being a possible option and with all they went through I never thought that he would of died like that. Very sad, this and the last ep had me tearing up a lot.
Mar 15, 2014 4:11 AM
Jul 2013
I was pretty optimistic about yuki. When he was in the hospital i honest to god.. thought that mari was dreaming and i wanted it to just be a dream. Yea nothing more then a bad dream so i ignored all the signs that hinted he was gone..but ..arg when mari was remembering what truly happened i lost it. cried. D': still wish it was noting more then a bad dream. Yuki NO! don't go.
Mar 17, 2014 8:20 PM

Jan 2013
Ahahahaha..
This show just gets worse and worse. So Yuuki is not even a hallucination, but a fuckin ghost!
*slow clap*
Completely bullshit way to force the drama. A disastrous episode.
O/5
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 19, 2014 4:46 PM

Feb 2010
Oh wow I love this series! How is this not super popular? This has been such an amazing show. One if the saddest I've ever seen. I cried a lot.
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Aug 4, 2014 12:47 AM

Apr 2014
I knew it was coming. Didn't mean I didn't cry.
Aug 13, 2014 9:59 PM

Aug 2012
And here I thought Mirai would find out about it through the phone call Mari made.
Aug 29, 2014 10:14 AM

Feb 2013
This confusion. What.

Sep 7, 2014 11:20 PM

Oct 2009
crackpot anime
Feb 1, 2015 8:27 AM

Jan 2010
aprildot said:
I&#039;m an optimistic person and believed after the episode where Yuki got sick, that he really was better. I ignored all the signs that he wasn&#039;t. I noticed after Ep9 that Mari had Yuki&#039;s backpack . Then when we see Yuki and his sister on the truck in this ep he has his backpack on. I was like "The director made a mistake and let that slide. Then Yuki started talking about death, and I was like please no. Then through out the episode I was still being optimistic and was hoping it was a dream, or something like that. But then BAM! The final confirmation and I was like NOOOOOOOOO! The whole time I felt miserable and just sad. It&#039;s amazing how the creators of this show are able to mess with the viewers emotions like this. This show rocks and I can&#039;t wait to see the final episode next week.

oh god same
i felt like it was so obvious but i was just being super oblivious until you guys pointed it out last episode imo
Mar 23, 2015 1:10 AM

Nov 2013
I saw it coming because some fuckers spoiled his death for me though I probably would have known eventually because the hints became more and more obvious as the episode went on.

Boy was it sad seeing Mirai oblivious to the fact that Yuuki was already dead. Itsuki just made it worse.

Why did Yuuki turn into an apparition at the very end? He seemed so human before then he suddenly became a ghost. I guess it was just Mirai's imagination.

Props to this anime for making me cry more than a couple times this episode.

Really good episode. My favorite so far though many seem to have negative opinions about this episode.

9/10

Aug 19, 2015 2:36 PM

Oct 2012
And here I thought they would just realize their parents were in the work so it's useless to return home when they were elsewhere at time of earthquake. What an unforgiving series :(

I realized he is dead the moment I saw him with the bag Mirai-chan left in the hospital.

parfaited said:
Well I didn't exactly get very emotional over this.
Maybe because it was painfully obvious from a few episodes ago since no one ever acknowledged Yuuki.

The same for me. I lack some real impact here. It wasn't here because it already was back in episode 8. Those who are saying they were dragging it for whole episode are probably right. Though I have to admitt I was already spoiled by last episode discussion, I guess I wouldn't realized by myself because I thought they just wanted to have drama but with glimmer of hope in the end. This was... I dunno... I am kinda ambivalent about this episode.
Mich666Aug 19, 2015 2:45 PM
Aug 22, 2015 7:13 PM

Jun 2014
my heart broke when Itsuki came back to the classroom the second time and Mirai said Yuuki disappeared again.
Sep 7, 2015 2:47 AM

Jan 2014
I'm dead too now ;-;
Sep 11, 2015 11:41 AM

Jul 2013
Kurogashi said:
What a load of shit. This was suppose to be the perfect anime that portrays the emotions/situations of the aftermath of an earthquake. And now they're going so far to add in some psychosis shit. Fuck that. Should've kept it plain and simple. This just went from a 9 -&gt; possibly a 7. And I highly doubt that last episode will up for it.

This^

I didn't see it coming tbh, just started realizing in this ep... and it's funny bc I'm also watching Gakkou Gurashi and it's the same thing so I ain't got that emocional. Don't know about the next ep but looks like they couldn't express Mirai's feels right... she was too 'aww men :(' for someone who just realized her brother was deas.
charlerwSep 11, 2015 11:57 AM
Sep 17, 2015 3:02 AM

Mar 2012
saka said:
TheTsunami said:
safe to say he had an intercranial hemmorhage or other more traumatic brain injury which eventually leads to death if untreated.

That's essentially what it says on the death certificate: cranial hemorrhage due to external injuries; respiratory failure

So that's what it said huh. Basically this shit wouldn't have happened if Mirai hadn't made him upset causing him to run off where the Tokyo tower would eventually fall >_>

Though I guess he was destined to die the moment they let him live through the first earthquake. Then they get you all attached to the kid, throw in a few more close calls and then finally kill him off near the end of their goal just for the feels. Kinda pisses me off to be honest since you just knew the poor kid wasn't gonna make it through the whole thing.
Avenger-senpaiSep 17, 2015 3:37 AM
Dec 13, 2015 5:37 AM

Apr 2009
R.I.P.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 26, 2015 1:31 AM

Jan 2015
Her brother died and she didn't even realize.....
Feb 1, 2016 8:25 AM
Feb 2015
I knew it, he was dead all this time and Mirai was just in denial
Feb 15, 2016 4:49 PM

Sep 2015
Valkyrie-Ryu said:
Wasabi said:
Hmmmm I don't think they handled Yuuki's death too well. They stretched it for too long and it was too obvious that he was gone by the end. Not to mention the whole creepy bgm at the end just killed the moment.
I think it was meant to be obvious because then you see how she handles the trauma. But I agree they stretched it too long.

Yeah that's what I thought... It was obvious as f*ck.
They should have took some notes from 'The Sixth Sense' to see how it can be done in an impeccable way.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 17, 2016 12:11 AM

Sep 2012
That sucks. She was so shocked that she hallucinated and believed Yuki was alive.
Mar 19, 2016 6:19 AM
May 2012
Oh my god, will you tell us how Yuuki fucking died! This sucks! Yuuki was awesome.
Apr 20, 2016 1:46 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Too predictable.
RanxomareNov 19, 2016 7:55 AM
Jun 2, 2016 4:31 AM

Mar 2016
finally Mirai realises, I am curious to see how she will handle it

kill me
Jan 25, 2017 9:41 AM

Apr 2016
when i saw yuuki have that bag i realize he was dead already . goddamit ninja .
"Mountains, beings, and nature's laws are bound by an arrangement, and within it, we live." -Mushishi Zoku Shou Suzu No Shizuku
Nov 23, 2017 3:14 AM

Nov 2012
Personally the plot twist caught me totally off guard! NO! D':
Dec 18, 2017 11:55 PM

May 2016
After finding out about Yuuki's cause of death, I remembered that he got hit on the head by rubble when he saved Mirai from falling debris near Tokyo Tower... He was dying that early on omg ;-; He should've looked for help wah

Mirai spent episodes in denial, creating a fake Yuuki and the whole thing wasn't a dream after all. I wasn't really sure but the possibility was very real and seeing that it was actually the case made me tear up a little.

Mar 21, 2018 8:12 PM

Sep 2013
I wish I hadn't read all the theories on these forums prior to watching this episode.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Mar 29, 2018 1:52 AM

May 2016
Damn it I had a hunch about his death but I was not sure ugh T-T feels bad man feels so bad.

R.I.P. Yuuki
Oct 7, 2018 5:58 PM

May 2010
Being 100% sure what's going on with Yuuki, this episode turned out to be mainly creepy. I still don't know what to think about this, probably a lot depends on whether they went with Yuuki's ghost (silly) or Mirai being in denial (believable, at least).

With that though, for now I'm not exactly pleased with how they handled this subject - Yuuki's death lacked some kind of impact, some scene which would hit me hard right into feels... Something's missing! My view on this might change after watching last episode, we'll see.
Mar 12, 2019 10:45 AM
Jan 2017
anyone can explain what happen here,, yuuki was dead but why he still with miraii its that ghost or only mirai halusination?
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

wakka9ca - Aug 7, 2009

144 by hafizo_kurosaki »»
Jan 25, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kashim - Sep 17, 2009

506 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 11:11 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UnknownFact - Sep 4, 2009

134 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:05 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

HawthorneKitty - Aug 27, 2009

180 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:12 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

porkypink - Aug 21, 2009

112 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 8:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.