Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 3, 2012 4:12 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Yumekichi11 said:
It's not just the outfit but her dress up with her make up that preoccupies me the most. For example most captains did not have marks or make up that much from that comparing I can deduct Quartz has a lot to hide of her past, which suggests once again IT BEING SHITTY. Basically.

It's always possible, yes. Historically makeup was often used to cover up scars, particularly from the ravages of smallpox. Still, it also was simply fashionable, from Europe to East Asia many people painted their faces white because of fashion.

Personally, I'm going to go with a combination of fashion statement and functional (it contains stuff that works with her outfit that can camouflage her).

Yumekichi11 said:
I even went further and I think the Emperor and Queen might not be OK with each other.
Wouldn't be the first time a royal couple opposed each other ;)
Jul 4, 2012 11:08 AM

Apr 2010
Enjoyed this show a lot more than I thought I would.
Jul 4, 2012 12:27 PM

Mar 2011
That was a hella fun enjoyable ride.

I for one look forward to a film and second series if it did well enough (which if a film got a green light, presumable at least 12 episodes isn't too much a gamble for the suits)
Jul 4, 2012 9:49 PM

Apr 2010
Very surprised by this anime, though the arcs in the middle were pretty weak, in the end it was pretty good.

8/10, movie pls
Jul 4, 2012 11:00 PM

Jan 2011
Go figure the best episode would be the last. I wish the majority of the season had this much "pirate" like activity going on! Boo!

Marika pirate space suit was legit as all hell!

Looking forward to the movie as long as it continues the story. Always hard to believe 24+ ep long shows are followed for 6+ months!!!

7 or 8/10 undecided. Last couple of episodes made up a lot of ground.
Jul 5, 2012 3:22 AM

Apr 2008
I actually enjoyed this series quite a bit, the last several episodes got quite a bit serious.

Also Solkiskey... your sig is AWESOME!
Leader of Whiteout Scans
Current project: ReLIFE
Jul 5, 2012 3:37 AM

Jan 2011
The second part of this show got so, so good.
I'm looking forward to the movie and perhaps a S2.
I'll give it 9/10, this show was very entertaining.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jul 5, 2012 9:13 AM

Jan 2011
wow speed typing with 2 hands, and 2 feet... so 3 super high-tech and ahead of its time ships are destroyed due to one princess's play time

overall, i enjoyed the series too, it as likable characters, smooth animations, cheerful atmosphere (did anybody die?) and gives us hope that our future in space will be positively birght :)
Jul 5, 2012 12:30 PM

May 2011
This anime turned out to be very enjoyable with some really nice characters. This was a nice way to end the arc and I thought this last battle was well done even though the 3 Grand Crosses were all taken down pretty easily. Just shows you how good Marika has become.

That ninja pirate is seriously cool. And damnn Coorie was balling out all over the place. So finally Ironbeard is officially revealed to be Marika's dad, and oooh Gruier knew what was going on the entire time.

Can't wait to see the movie.
Jul 6, 2012 2:59 PM

Jun 2008
Wow three technologically advanced prototype spaceships destroyed in a few minutes. That's a hell of a lot of billions that someone is throwing down the train.

Marika kept her most sexy appearance for the last episode with that tight space pirate suit.

And this show managed to solve the eternal conflict of Ninjas vs Pirates. Why not simply have Ninja-Pirates!!! Genius i tell you.

About the show in general:
It had some enjoyable moments and created a decent last few episodes but a little to late. What can i say, a show with it's good moments but tons of problems as well. Trying to go into complicated things at times or trying to show a political aspect without managing to give a good image of it while wasting time showing school girls playing around like it was K-ON or something but then also show some action events. It was a little all over the place to be honest, like the creators never knew what they wanted to do.
Even the character building was mediocre despite wasting so much episodes.

The major problem was that it the end it wasn't a good anime at anything. Not much interesting space action or adventures, political implications where swallow as hell and never had any intriguing political games. Technology and space stuff also weren't presented with exciting ways despite the show being good at noticing little details. Actually the most stronger aspect was the moe girls playing around but with all the other elements mixed in there you are better of watching some strictly schoolgirl anime that will give you a much sweeter and better dosage than this show.
Saying that this was a space opera or a political show or whatever some claim this is, is a big mistake. A show wasting so much time on schoolgirls and their sweet moments with very little events and conflicts occurring is hardly a space opera. It was just a mix of elements that never had a correct recipe for mixing them together but could still be decent enough for killing some time.
MonadJul 6, 2012 3:13 PM
Jul 13, 2012 7:31 AM

Aug 2010
Finally the buildup paid off, I really liked the battle. No Lost Child though, that's a 1 point deducted. 4/5.

Have to say I enjoyed this show a lot. I expected more action to be honest, but when I noticed that this was more of a space pirate girls slice if life, the cast provided me with enough enjoyment to keep watching. I'm looking forward to the movie! Solid 7/10.
Mogami-kunJul 13, 2012 7:37 AM
Jul 22, 2012 5:24 AM

Mar 2012
Hell yeah 10/10, loved this ending! also i enjoyed this entire series..
Aug 4, 2012 1:39 PM

Sep 2010
I was hoping for a more in-depth finale, but unfortunately the fight wasn't as impressive as I hoped it to be.

Anyway, it was an average episode of Mouretsu Pirates and a fairly good conclusion to a good season. And yes, with that I mean it is a bad conclusion if it there will be no sequel, and I doubt the movie can conclude it considering that there's so many source material waiting to be adapted. So I'm waiting for a second season, at least the sales weren't too bad (but not very great either).
Sep 6, 2012 3:37 AM

Sep 2012
This anime... plot full of holes, average animation, characters not that badass ( Except Marika ). So much defaults...

But.. Yeah. I loved it. I can't really understand why, but 10/10. Maximum enjoyment.
Sep 23, 2012 5:53 AM
Nov 2011
Yeah it was a bit cheesy, and while I enjoyed the ending a lot, I can't understand how the other more experienced pirates were so easily disturbed except for their to be an actual plot in the last arc. The characters were colorful and that's one of the great features of the anime I think, but I'm left wanting more at the end largely because of the slow pacing, even if it seems clear this is the ending of the 'series' so to speak. I gave it an 8
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Oct 14, 2012 12:28 PM
Sep 2012
Monad said:
Wow three technologically advanced prototype spaceships destroyed in a few minutes. That's a hell of a lot of billions that someone is throwing down the train.

Marika kept her most sexy appearance for the last episode with that tight space pirate suit.

And this show managed to solve the eternal conflict of Ninjas vs Pirates. Why not simply have Ninja-Pirates!!! Genius i tell you.

About the show in general:
It had some enjoyable moments and created a decent last few episodes but a little to late. What can i say, a show with it's good moments but tons of problems as well. Trying to go into complicated things at times or trying to show a political aspect without managing to give a good image of it while wasting time showing school girls playing around like it was K-ON or something but then also show some action events. It was a little all over the place to be honest, like the creators never knew what they wanted to do.
Even the character building was mediocre despite wasting so much episodes.

The major problem was that it the end it wasn't a good anime at anything. Not much interesting space action or adventures, political implications where swallow as hell and never had any intriguing political games. Technology and space stuff also weren't presented with exciting ways despite the show being good at noticing little details. Actually the most stronger aspect was the moe girls playing around but with all the other elements mixed in there you are better of watching some strictly schoolgirl anime that will give you a much sweeter and better dosage than this show.
Saying that this was a space opera or a political show or whatever some claim this is, is a big mistake. A show wasting so much time on schoolgirls and their sweet moments with very little events and conflicts occurring is hardly a space opera. It was just a mix of elements that never had a correct recipe for mixing them together but could still be decent enough for killing some time.

I think that's really the main problem. This show had no REAL clear focus. It was trying to be too many things to too many people all at once. It brought the whole thing down at its core. I still enjoyed it for what its worth, but if they had used less time on the slice-of-life high school episodes, and more time on actual pirating and the political intrigue I think this could've turned out awesome.

7 to 8/10

If they do have another season of this I hope it'll take a different direction that focuses more on pirating and the "lightheartedness" of it all, and leaves the high school drama to the wayside.
Nov 6, 2012 3:11 PM

Mar 2009
great series.... love the battle :)

somewhere deep in my heart wishes for a 2nd season :)
Jan 1, 2013 1:09 PM
Apr 2012
10/10
it ended awesome
last couple of years 90% of animes come up with a pretty sh1ty endings
but this 1 was cool

still ... tottaly w8ing for season 2 :)
Jan 18, 2013 12:36 PM

Oct 2011
This anime started really well for me, then slowed down in the middle, but picked back up and ended with a BANG! No pun intented. >:D
These last battles and twists were awesome and I'm glad I didn't drop the series. Wouldn't mind a season 2.
Mar 9, 2013 4:31 PM

Oct 2011
I really enjoyed this series! The ending has left me with so many questions that I hope will be answered in the movie - the biggest being why did Marika's father let Marika think he'd died? I'm really gonna miss the crew of the Bentenmaru and the yacht club but at least I can look forward to seeing them again in the movie. 9/10!
Apr 7, 2013 8:45 PM
Nov 2012
On the whole series:

I really liked the slow, detailed build-up. Marika growing up was great. Ririka's hands-off parenting was perfect for a young woman who will be a pirate captain. The cool but effective Chaki was a delight.

Towards the end, the action gets better but the relationships get worse. We have the "impersonation by identical twin" thing. We have the "Luke, I am your father" thing. At least we don't have a chase through the ventilating ducts.

The discovery that Marika's father is alive is bothersome. Who knew? Misa? It's hard to imagine Misa being fooled about that. She's the ship's doctor, and nobody's fool. If Gonzaemon did fool her, I'd expect her, and many of the Betenmaru's crew, to be angry about being jerked around. Plus Marika and Ririka.

Does Marika keep the Betenmaru, or what? Where do we go from here with the sequel?
Apr 25, 2013 8:15 PM

Jan 2011
Overall i loved it, though there are obviously flaws (not necessarily plot holes, we just don't know yet, which drags the story down a bit right now).

Why did Marikas father leave them? Likely tied to him playing bodyguard fo Quartz, who is somehow related to galactic empire roality. If they are like Serenity, she is the king and queens daugther, though probably not the heiress apparent. But still, why is he playing dead? Why does everyone know except Marika? Why did Kane switch positions? Only to learn of Marikas abilities? But with Kane and the rest of the crew, the princesses, Chiaki and Ririka being able to tell him..why did he need Shane to see it, too?

Another thing is, why was the galactic empire hurrying to build those ships? And why can they afford to throw away three of them when they are in a hurry to build them? Do they build them in the dozens or more, while needing hundreds, so three won't matter? Did no one expect them to get destroyed, and Quartz simply ignored that they are needed when it happend?

Also, except some small stories, we still don't know anything about the galactic empire. Heck, we do not even really know how Sea of the Morning Star and the other planets are organized, for example about how far the partial independency from the galactic empire goes, seeing that the Stellar Military is still the main police force and military.

And of course, the story of Marika for the next years, especially after she graduates...

Wouldn't mind a second season, hope the movie will at least answer some questions.
May 5, 2013 10:14 AM

Mar 2013
Marathon from episode 1-26.
I am entertained. Since i like spaceship, this is indeed a good anime. 7/10
Jul 22, 2013 7:06 PM
Jul 2018
It took me a year and a half to finally finish this!

At first, I was pretty excited for this space opera, and knowing that the director of Nadesico was involved I was certain it will be done well. The series had a good first episode, however, the field trip episodes that followed were a snooze-fest, and I ended up putting the series on-hold for a year until Sentai released the blurays.

Surprisingly, the field trip episodes were more enjoyable a second time around, and I realized the awesome job the series did with the world building. All those frequent explanations of these space laws and customs and what machine did what all set up he stage to the epic space adventures that followed. Also, while Marika's sunny attitude got on my nerves at the begining the same way it did on Chiaki's, she really grew on me. I think Chiaki's mentality towards Marika's behavior throughout the series quite reflected mine XD

However, as ceverly written and epic as the series was, there were things that I weren't satisfied with:

-The political situation in Serenity could've used more exposition. We were told though Gruiel that there were opposing factions and what not, but not once we as viewers were shown how exactly dire things were in there.

-The Bentenmaru's crew, as cool as they were, didn't get enough backstory. This also applied to Kane and Misa. We knew very little about their past lives before they became pirates or why did they become ones. Could it be due to the fact that the light novels have yet to cover it?

-The final battle with Christie felt tacked-on and like an excuse to end the series on a glorious note. I hope to be proven wrong and that Christie's meeting with Marika and whatever data she collected will play a big role in the movie or novels.

All and all, a tightly written show and one of my favorite in recent years. 9/10.
Sep 10, 2013 7:42 PM

Feb 2009
I guess the appeal of this series just did not affect me enough to have really enjoyed all those 26 episodes. The plot was...eh? I never understood why legally self-employed event companies (let's call them space pirates alright) are equipped with live weaponry and, even more irritating, are treated like criminals or have to be tracked down and killed. I mean I'm not talking about usual plot holes, I'm talking about the general setting and plot advancement.
Sure, could've dropped it, but I didn't want to. I never did so far. The anime was partially saved by the adorable characters and the insanely good soundtrack. Opening and ending tracks were actually the reason I started watching the series.

So, when I had to decide on a rating, I took something like a 5/10 for the plot and environment (how this fictional setting works, it's laws and stuff), bor a 7-8/10 for the characters and technical department. Since the story IS the more important part of a series not being a yonkoma show, I will settle for a 6/10. THAT'S STILL ABOVE AVERAGE, Mr. Torgue would say. He's damn right, I can't bring myself to hate this show. But it took me 6 friggin' weeks from episode 1 to 26 to finish it. And neither did I watch another series in between (that I do not do as well) nor did I have too little time to watch it. I really lacked motivation to continue watching it on a lot of days.And I'm kind glad to have finished it. Which is not good.

Well, Firefly, you will probably stay unmatched for a little longer. Also you're no animation show. Or japanese. Whatever.
Nov 21, 2013 11:46 PM

Jul 2008
I give it a 6/10. The ending arc saved the show for me but I thought everything was wrapped up way too neat. However groundwork is there for a season 2.

Mainly the show was good, but took a long while to get going, and it definitely wasn't the show I was expecting.

Quartz had it exactly right and summed up my true gripes with the show, the pirates weren't true pirates they were for show, actors if you will. However it looks like that its heading for them to be real pirates and that I would really really love to see.
Dec 16, 2013 5:11 PM

Aug 2012
Linear, well-paced arcs, delightful characters, and gorgeous visuals centered around pirates in space. Pretty good.
Jan 3, 2014 3:09 PM

May 2012
That's some lovely ending I must say but well I do wonder what the movie has to offer us as the ending does brings us a question as off who wants to see Marika? But really this sure was one hell of a lovely ending! 9/10
Jan 4, 2014 3:52 AM

Nov 2013
Just finished this series and thought that for the most part it was entertaining. The visuals, especially the ships and space scenes were top notch.

However it leaves a lot of questions unanswered, which means there is plenty of scope for a second series.

I know that there is going to be a movie and I guess we'll see if that's the end or if they will some how continue with another series.
"Everyone who wants to discuss the fine points of semantics and imaginary differences between potentially unclear hypothetical cases can do it with their goldfish." -Tom Vogt
Jan 31, 2014 1:02 AM

Aug 2008
The soundtracks rocked, the space sequences were beautiful, and the sci-fi was also delicious.

In general, it wasn't disappointing to watch at all and I ended up liking it quite a bit.

My favorite arc... dunno. I liked the golden ghost ship alot I guess.
The one with the Yatch club cruise expedition at the beginning was a nice introductory too. But I guess, the last one would be more memorable to me, for being the last arc, but also for Marika showing more leadership.

Good stuff.
Jun 14, 2014 11:42 PM

Aug 2013
Second time finishing this and my first score still stands: 9/10. Ahh I want a second season :(
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jun 3, 2015 8:44 PM

Mar 2015
Lol, of course shiny bitch ran in the end.
Sep 8, 2015 4:20 PM

Oct 2014
Bagonirix said:
Cant believe I thought was going to be good.

4/10
Feb 26, 2016 7:32 PM
Dec 2014
This show was just good fun. I like starships and cute girls (in moderation I only watch a few of these shows in a year) I cannot lie.

And "everything will work out if you're a pirate" are wise words to live bye. MLK BTFO

Now to watch something elitist again.
Aug 15, 2016 4:28 AM
Aug 2013
It was fun to watch this anime. I never liked the opening. 7/10
-Let the fire of our hearts rage through the heavens
Oct 30, 2016 9:14 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Had some arcs brought the series down, but then also better arcs like these, were we even find out Marika's dad is alive and working for the Galatic Empire.
You can cleary see there is alot more of story to be told, since this last arc brought more questions to the table, than really any explanations.
Never got tired of the OP and the ED, they matched the anime amazingly well.
7.7/10

Until the next piracy and looting then!

Mar 9, 2017 8:23 AM
Aug 2014
Last fight was surprisingly easy and of course Christie escapes with only her pride being hurt. Was quite a disappointing finale.
Nov 9, 2017 9:02 AM

Apr 2016
This anime was so amazing..I love it
Hope a 2nd season will come someday.
PLEASE someone translate the light novel ...
Definitely better that One Piece

Feb 27, 2018 11:56 PM

Aug 2014
Mirorin said:
An anime I started expecting to drop, but instead I watched it through and loved it!

The first two reviews say it all for me. (artist-retired and cafekun)

9/10

EDIT: Rewatched. I still love it, but I realize the last two arcs were more action-focused rather than sci-fi. I was wondering why and turns out the Nebula Cup arc and onward were anime-only. And apparently the LN is much less moe and more sci-fi based as well, despite its flashy name. The author is an award-winner, a prominent sci-fi writer.

Which means Marika's father, Kane's twin, and a few other important plot elements aren't actually true. And I was also really curious why the last arc has some zigzagging battleship, now I know why. :L

I wish I could give the LN a try. While I liked the anime, I think the well done sci-fi elements really added that spark (and although it was only a bit, there was more fanservice in the latter half). I love the characters though, the setting, the idea of space pirates, and how this series was executed.
kinda glad its most of it is anime only and so not canon as i found most of it annoying like how it starts with her flying a plane of some sort only and her future crew praising how good she was only to find out it was a simulation and then before the cup saying she never actually flew one..

the princess girls showed up way too often and felt like a fan service thing.. same with all the stupid outfits the yuri crap and how her parents and crew just lie to her all the time when at one point they said trust was most important..
Sep 6, 2020 7:52 PM

Jul 2009
Finally was able to finish it :)

After almost 9 years of wanting to watch this. It's done!

Honestly, it's such a feels good Anime. Marika grew as an amazing leader. Really convinced Chiaki to follow her.

Only thing I wanted more is about Gonzaemon and Ririka. I'm surprised Gonzaemon didn't react or gave any hints to Marika about him being her father and all.

Also, Christie just escapes, but gets battle data? Hmmm.

Good thing we have a movie to follow up through. I hope some of these characters will be back for sure!

I give it 9/10!!

Saa! Kaizoku no jikan da!
Sep 5, 2021 3:39 AM

Feb 2014
That was an exciting battle! I liked seeing all the pirates coordinating with each other (also lol at Coorie typing with her feet). The ending where Quartz escaped and her ship self-destructed was anticlimactic and left things open, but honestly I'd not too upset about it. There weren't many things that required a lot of closure, and I think this series ended at a perfectly fine spot imo. And Marika's dad didn't actually die of food poisoning, he's just working for the Galactic Empire!

Overall, I'd give this show about an 8/10! I didn't absolutely love it but I enjoyed it!! It was fun to see Marika go on all these adventures, whether it's with her crew or her club members. I really enjoyed the atmosphere! A lot of the stuff I've been watching lately has had some kind of dark aspect to it, so it was really nice to watch a feel-good, positive show for a change.

I wanna watch the movie now!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 28, 2023 8:59 PM

Dec 2015
You have a Japanese high school girl being a space pirate, and yet it somehow felt like a mundane slice of life... It's a fun show, but it could've been so much more if they took a more serious approach
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

SymbolicLayer - Jan 7, 2012

162 by Beatnik »»
Feb 10, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 8 Discussion

prismheart - Feb 25, 2012

46 by Foreall908 »»
Sep 15, 2023 1:44 AM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

prismheart - Mar 24, 2012

56 by JJR1971 »»
Jul 3, 2023 10:06 PM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 24 Discussion

Beave - Jun 16, 2012

49 by FT_anime_fan »»
Oct 16, 2022 10:57 PM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 21 Discussion

Eudaimonia - May 26, 2012

49 by FT_anime_fan »»
Oct 16, 2022 9:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.