Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 22, 2018 5:58 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yup, this show definitely feels like a storybook adventure where each episode feels like a story of its own.

Got more relationship angles this episode even between human and non-humans. Those narratives sounds just like I'd expect from this fantasy anime. Oh and that pumpkin guy is back? As strange as I find him, he's probably the most mysterious character in the show.
Nov 22, 2018 11:42 AM

Mar 2009
Well, that episode was depressing.
Nov 22, 2018 1:38 PM

Jun 2017
It was a decent ending to this short story imo. Too bad we probably won't be seeing these characters anymore, they were the most interesting to me so far, especially the pumpkin guy.
Nov 22, 2018 3:17 PM

Sep 2011
This was so poignant, and yet so beautiful!

This man shared a dream with the woman he loved: to have a happy family; but it wasn't meant to be and she passed away, leaving behind her beloved, and their newborn daughter. The man then forgot how to dream, and wasn't able to properly connect with his daughter or to stop mourning the passing of his wife. But his meeting with her spirit changed it all. He was able to face his pain, and to stop mourning, he was able to let go of her stone so that she could finally rest in peace, and decided that he would finally be there for his daughter. I loved the detail of his wife's spirit not having a reflection at the lake.

On the other hand, his daughter felt alone, she is too young to understand his pain, and so she thought that she wasn't loved, but things worked in the end. Mister Pumpkin was in fact waiting for his friend, the one with he also shared a dream that couldn't come true, not in life anyways. I still wonder what he was, too human to be a monster, and since he shared those moments with that boy while he was still alive he couldn't be a illusion, maybe he was truly a ghost, but well.

I also loved to see a bit of Yuu, and Merc's life together before they set on a journey, it was endearing that he taught her how to read, and how he got attached to her, fearing that she would go away somewhere like his father, possibly because it was him that brought her in the first place. I just love this anime! Now that man can marry his friend who is in love with him, and have a happy family with his daughter. What? I can think of at least one BL with this plot. lol

Okay, I will stop.
Nov 22, 2018 5:17 PM
Jun 2017
A very nice episode and a touching one. It tackles all about the love for family and of course all about DREAMS!!! I just love they have shown the side of the prince (father) and daughter side...

Its a touching episode...
Nov 22, 2018 7:34 PM

Nov 2017
aww man... i was just like kid when watch this episode. The feel is just like i was read a story and almost fall asleep on the desk
Now Loading.....
Nov 22, 2018 7:53 PM

Oct 2015
I felt like Yuu and Merc weren't needed for the story, but since they're the lead they had to be there to only give the bright stone.

I guess this story was conveying a message to parent/child relationships, and I think that was very cool. Too bad we won't see Cosette and Jean again, I also liked Eleanor she was a very kind soul.

Too bad also the story didn't dive into the ghost boy's story and that pumpkin.

Good episode nevertheless,
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 23, 2018 3:12 AM

Oct 2008
kind of a tragic drama episode but good thing all ends well to Jeantore & Cosette!
3/5.

Nov 23, 2018 8:13 AM

May 2018
This two part story is actually focused on that father-daughter problem, so Yuu and Merc's appearance didn't really felt.

Depressing but heartwarming story about family and dreams. This kind of story is the one missing from anime world nowadays.
Nov 24, 2018 6:04 AM

May 2017
Honestly, I hardly understand anything at all in this episode, very weird, it's all over the place, I couldn't follow it jumping to the daughter, the ghost wife and then the father, I was too busy wondering who are these monsters (squash, ghost costume, rat) there's even that monster who was chasing Merc at the beginning which is also pretty weird, they just cut the scene

Regardless, I love Yuu and Merc's the flashback/dream/Yuu's partial back story
LairucremNov 24, 2018 6:08 AM
Nov 25, 2018 8:26 AM

Feb 2013
Thanks for bringing back my Clannad AS trauma.
* Cries in a corner. *
Nov 25, 2018 12:02 PM
Dec 2016
Who voiced Eleanor? She has such familiar voice. Could anybody tell?
Nov 25, 2018 2:46 PM

Apr 2012
Death is important, and normal, it's good to have an anime that can empathically remind you of that.

@Oewzvpx
She's voiced by Satou Rina, which is a surprise to me I didn't know she had that register (it's true I barely know her work). Genuinely thought it was someone else.
EratiKNov 25, 2018 2:49 PM
Nov 26, 2018 4:27 AM
Dec 2016
@EratiK
Thank you very much! I've remembered now where i've heard her voice. She voiced Kanrinin-san from Sunohara-sou of the past season. (And Tooru from Natsume Yuujinchou).
Dec 2, 2018 3:41 AM

Apr 2015
Better dialogue and complexity of storyline that you'd expect in this kind of show. Dragged a bit towards the end but was enchanting at some points
Deserves a higher score.
Dec 22, 2018 8:27 AM

Mar 2015
This anime always puts me in a good mood. It's sweet and pure.
Jan 6, 2019 7:02 PM

Feb 2014
Fayrin said:
Now that man can marry his friend who is in love with him, and have a happy family with his daughter. What? I can think of at least one BL with this plot. lol

From where did BL come from? =O hehe

Lairucrem said:
Honestly, I hardly understand anything at all in this episode\

Same. I got that the boy died, that guy's wife (Eleanor) as well, and etc. Though not sure what was going on, exactly - a little bit confusing (it was as if some pieces were missing or out of order to be able to comprehend what was happening) .
Feb 13, 2019 6:22 PM

Jun 2014
This was certainly an emotional episode. I'm glad that everything worked out for the best, and that the girl's father will now spend time with her, but part of me kinda wishes that the daughter would've got to speak to her mother before she left.

Mar 12, 2019 10:53 PM

May 2012
Pacing is still great, up to the next one.
Mar 24, 2019 7:22 PM

Apr 2014
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who found it hard to follow what was going on.
Nov 15, 2021 5:53 AM

Feb 2020
It was emotional, but not a particularly interesting story.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Merc Storia: Mukiryoku no Shounen to Bin no Naka no Shoujo Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2018

14 by Atsunome »»
Jan 21, 5:33 AM

Poll: » Merc Storia: Mukiryoku no Shounen to Bin no Naka no Shoujo Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 1, 2018

19 by LovelyTekki »»
Nov 13, 2022 3:44 PM

Poll: » Merc Storia: Mukiryoku no Shounen to Bin no Naka no Shoujo Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 15, 2018

15 by Serafos »»
Nov 15, 2021 4:57 AM

Poll: » Merc Storia: Mukiryoku no Shounen to Bin no Naka no Shoujo Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2018

11 by Serafos »»
Nov 15, 2021 3:43 AM

Poll: » Merc Storia: Mukiryoku no Shounen to Bin no Naka no Shoujo Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 18, 2018

23 by Serafos »»
Nov 14, 2021 11:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.