Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 2, 2010 11:51 AM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The once famous and well respected scientist Zorndyke has bred a new genre of living being, one that thrives on the oceans and lives to destroy humans. Zorndyke believes it is time that the humans were relieved of their rule of the earth. It is up to Blue Submarine No. 6 and the rest of the Blue fleet to put an end to Zorndyke's madness and creations.

"Blues"
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jun 21, 2010 10:16 AM

Feb 2008
It was an okay episode, boring with some interesting action scenes. I kind of like the plot, but there is something that is making it boring.

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Jun 23, 2010 2:10 PM
Jul 2008
Midori-tan said:
It was an okay episode, boring with some interesting action scenes. I kind of like the plot, but there is something that is making it boring.

I feel what you're saying...my brotha
"To see with eyes unclouded by hate"

-Prince Ashitaka, "Princess Mononoke"
Oct 13, 2010 10:45 AM

Feb 2009
The music that Hayami was listening to was driving me crazy.Normally i don't mind long conversations between characters,but with that music as a background...i wasn't far away from dropping it.And also the not-interested-in-anything type of character that was Hayami was realy annoying in the beginning.
Otherwise the episode was ok.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Nov 6, 2010 7:54 PM

Feb 2010
Well, plot and characterwise it has potential, but I found the CGI(?) overuse a bit annoying...
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 27, 2012 8:31 PM

Feb 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Well, plot and characterwise it has potential, but I found the CGI(?) overuse a bit annoying...

This is one of the pioneering series that tried to mix CGI into anime. I will admit that it doesn’t look great but it is unique.
Jul 12, 2013 7:47 PM
Feb 2008
Seems interesting. I think they should've spent a little more time fleshing stuff out before jumping into it. Maybe in the next episode or so...

The ED was pretty awesome
Aug 24, 2013 3:43 PM

Nov 2011
Mm, werid episode. I found the OST and OP song decent though but not a fan of CGI.
Jan 15, 2014 9:28 AM

Sep 2013
Seems pretty interesting, i definitely like the music.
Mar 15, 2014 5:25 PM

Apr 2012
Boring? I don't think so, and I get bored kinda easily. Lot of action and fairly intriguing premise. Guess it's an Evangelion-esque opener (post-apocalyptic, weird humanoid enemies) but without being derivatively so.

CGI is a bit jarring but as said, it was one of the first to mix it up.
Oct 19, 2014 2:41 PM

Dec 2007
lol @ not-nipples on the underwater creature.
Nov 8, 2014 1:42 PM

May 2012
That wonderful 1999-2000 CGI! Seriously though it would've been better if all would've been drawn, oh well in general I liked it!
Nov 28, 2016 10:39 PM

Dec 2015
I like the 2D artstyle, even if the CG was ugly.
Mar 10, 2018 3:01 PM

Jul 2017
The CG makes me nostalgic for old arcade games like Beast Busters Second Nightmare. I'm not sure if it works the best here, but it is fine. This episode wasn't that interesting to me. It should have given more of the backstory and more meaning to various things. I like that it's being mysterious, but there should be more to hold on to or it feels sort of empty.
Feb 28, 2019 9:38 AM
Jul 2018
The premise is interesting so far, but the CGI makes my eyes bleed tbh.
Jul 1, 2019 11:40 AM
Apr 2014
Midori-tan said:

I think I get what you mean. At least for me the characters’ personalities are kind of 1 dimensional and simple so far.
But it hasn’t turned me off totally yet. I still want to keep watching and I am hoping the characters will develop and become a bit more interesting.
I like the character design of the main girl (short hair, not huge tiddies, but she isn’t the obnoxious cliche flat chested girl). She’s cute and unique looking. Hope she doesn’t turn out to be a stick in the mud.
Jan 24, 2020 11:16 PM

Sep 2013
Ep.01 was good! Remember, it is 20+ years old now, give it some respect for old age!
The cgi/rotoscoping wasn't that bad, you get used to it quickly. The sound track is bouncy! The action makes sense and the plot is there. A solid show!
Apr 6, 2020 1:09 PM

Sep 2018
meh, yet another OVA where the viewer is just plopped into a world with no reason to care about it or the characters. So far not impressed.

Blackouting said:
Boring? I don't think so, and I get bored kinda easily. Lot of action and fairly intriguing premise. Guess it's an Evangelion-esque opener (post-apocalyptic, weird humanoid enemies) but without being derivatively so.

CGI is a bit jarring but as said, it was one of the first to mix it up.

Action doesn't automatically make things not boring, it was bland and dull because there is no reason to care about the characters or the world they live in. Oh yay, things blowing up, but why the fuck should I care?
KristiwazhereApr 6, 2020 1:13 PM
Apr 22, 2020 7:59 AM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
The Episode was boring. I found there were some scenes that seemed interesting but they didn’t amount to anything. The CGI looked bad and it was used as much as possible which took away from the anime itself. The ED was fire though. Overall not a fan but will keep watching because it could get better.
Jun 4, 2021 10:11 PM
Oct 2019
hayami has potential to be pretty interesting. the 12/18 year old girl is one of those "whatever" characters that i couldn't care less about. and the way her chin/mouth is drawn REALLY bothers me for some reason

hayami and that humanoid sea creature thing...interesting. is that going to be a future love connection?

i don't take a show's animation quality into account when i rate a show. and i didn't with this show, either. but that initial cgi scene with those mechanical things attacking the city and all the people running around crazily was a bit jarring. to keep going back and forth between different scenes and animation styles wasn't a good directorial decision imo

this was a 5 or 6/10 beginning. pretty average overall
Aug 4, 2021 6:53 AM

Aug 2017
The whole thing felt like a weird mix of Nadia and Evangelion to me (not surprising given who's involved). I liked the red/blue coloring inside the submarine, looked great.

Oh hey, Kino's VA would go on to have acting roles in both seasons of Last Exile
Apr 22, 2023 4:09 AM
Mar 2023
What a surprise, an OVA with nudity! That ending sequence was weirdly sensual, actually. Everything else was good. Except for the CGI of course, which was clearly a mistake. The scenes deep underwater (underground?) were kind of chilling. Looking forward to seeing the rest.
May 9, 2023 4:07 AM

Mar 2022
This is definitely an interesting one, Blue Submarine No 6 as I know, was something that aired on Toonami that's how a lot of people would've known it and I thought I'd give it a go. First episode I will say I liked it, it feels very Evangelion-esque at times, the underwater scenes were intense, soundtrack's giving me Cowboy Bebop sort of vibes only thing I don't think was good was probably the CGI but I can allow it looking like that because it was the late 90s when it came out and CGI at the time was still fairly new as it was. The action is what's holding it together, overall we have a decent start.
Aug 8, 2023 10:28 AM

Dec 2022
Visually spectacular for when it was released. Most other anime around this period look prehistoric in comparison.

Not sure what the plot is going to develop into; but sexy fish girls, a water world, and submarines fighting giant sperm whales makes for fun times.

Shaded Horizon

Jan 20, 6:30 PM

Mar 2019
It was an interesting first episode. Animation, plot, and execution might not have been "top-notch quality" (most likely due to age), but there was this certain charm throughout the episode that does keep me hooked. I believe it is partially due to the uniqueness of the mixed animation, whereas I usually hated it when the styles didn't blend seamlessly, I kind of loved how the different styles stood beside each other here. Some parts were still jarring to see, but I liked the scene with the first few explosions for example (not because it's pretty, but it gave me some artistic inspiration, haha). I like the 2D art style as well, that late 90s look.

Plot-wise, I'm not sure what to think yet. Time will tell.

THE GREATEST
LIVING SHOW
Apr 24, 1:37 AM

Dec 2016
I love the 90s CGI. Feels like an extended PS1 game FMV cutscene.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Blue Submarine No. 6 Episode 4 Discussion

Dodecahedron-O24 - Jan 2, 2010

38 by Astraeus_ »»
Apr 30, 6:57 AM

» Anyone can explain the ending/last episode ?

ExoticBankai - Aug 4, 2020

3 by Astraeus_ »»
Apr 30, 6:55 AM

Poll: » Blue Submarine No. 6 Episode 3 Discussion

14 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 8, 2023 12:26 PM

Poll: » Blue Submarine No. 6 Episode 2 Discussion

17 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 8, 2023 11:41 AM

» Bluray DVD Comparison

removed-user - Nov 21, 2013

3 by Catalano »»
Jul 6, 2015 10:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.