Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2014 7:27 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh this episode was just silly in the first few minutes.

I mean, an onsen and guys trying to peek on the ladies...

Action picked up in the second half of the episode with some good tactics I suppose. One thing I did find decent is how they were able to keep up with the momentum during this battle and had usage of fog of war.
Stark700Sep 4, 2014 9:20 AM
Sep 4, 2014 11:19 AM

Dec 2009
First half was meh... completely unnecessary imo, especially the onsen part.

The second half was more interesting. It was interesting to see how the squad really needed their captain for commands, else, it was a complete disaster.
Sep 4, 2014 12:59 PM
Jul 2018
The guys are trying to peek on the ladies at the onsen part.

The second half was interesting. Let's hope the Captain will give some good comments to his squad that will let them gain victory.
Sep 4, 2014 1:06 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
We get some onsen action, but only male azz to look at, LOL. I don't think too many ladies are watching Argevollen to be honest.

The bit with the captain at the end looked really ominous.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 4, 2014 1:19 PM
Feb 2013
Now I know how it feels to be in command during a battle.
Sep 4, 2014 1:20 PM

Jul 2013
THEY FINALLY SHOWED ME A MAP
Finally, I mean now I at least somewhat know the geography in this world.

But anyways this episode was meh non the less, especially considering i was really hoping the series would start to take off after last weeks episode which actually showcased INTERESTING characters but no.. Instead we get an episode I guess trying to make us care about Okui because of how he's trying to protect his hometown and such but it was completely rushed in every way imaginable, and although i will give them credit that they did manage to give Okui SOME identity, it wasn't worth this entire episode. Disappointing coming from last weeks episode to say the least

That's another thing also, noticing a pattern here? Almost every episode is our heroes just resting somewhere then all of a sudden Ingelmia attacks and after a few pew pews argevollen comes and kills the remaining dudes. It got old really fast. Just focus more on the Ingelmia forces PLEASE. They're a million times more interesting than the character's we're following. I want to see Richthofen get revenge, i want to see what that fat commander and his buddy are up to!! I want to see their side of the story. Yeah I get the motives behind the Arandas' they're defending their homeland I get it.. but what motivates the invaders?? That to me is a way more interesting route to follow.

Oh yeah one last thing, I found it hilarious how the fog posed such a problem i mean cmon you're in a world where giant mechs are a military standard yet no one's been able to invent thermal optics? Okay.
The best anime is the Road to El Dorado
Sep 4, 2014 1:53 PM

Jul 2013
yep the first 1/3 of the wpisode was just a waste of time, but whatever...
who said being in command was easy? :p
Sep 4, 2014 2:03 PM

Apr 2010
Seeing a world map was nice tho the actual episode could have been better.
There wasn't much development tho it was nice to see the crew does have homes to return to, still makes me wonder where the rest of them came from.
But then again military are usually made up from people all over the place.
Sep 4, 2014 3:24 PM

Aug 2013
Seems for every victory there is also a defeat for Arandas. Also, I can't help but think Samonji and Suzushiro were ordered away from their unit by the top brass to weaken it, as it's clearly not as strong without them. We'll find out more of the reasoning behind the move next episode hopefully. The battle was all well and good and the retreat made sense but why the heck did Tokimune have to shoot those explosives on the bridge then and there when he was so close? Another few seconds and he would have just been across and the others could have just blown it which would have probably taken some of the pursuing enemy units with it. He's more of a danger to himself than the enemy!
Sep 4, 2014 3:42 PM

Jul 2010
That wasn't really a nice cliffhanger but fine, the VA of the new character makes it look promising somehow.

I feared a fanservice episode when they entered the sauna but luckily they didn't.
14 episodes left, they really should pace up a little right now.
Sep 4, 2014 4:50 PM

Jan 2011
And here i thought Tokimune was dong pretty well, especially *not* messing up. And then they had to make him stop way to early. Well, maybe he will do fine in episode 23. He will mess up in the final episode so they can have a intense finale of course.
Sep 4, 2014 5:44 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Good to see a side character getting some spotlight. However, didn't expect it to be Okui. Considering it's his first time leading an unit, I'd say he did pretty good, even though he ordered them to retreat at the end.
Now he realizes what Samonji goes through every time a battle breaks out.

Battle segment was alright. Even with poor commanding, Silfy and Lorenzo defended the town well enough.
Tokimune surprised me a bit with how he only messed up once, since that's usually not the case.

Above average episode. Fanservice scene wasn't bad, but wasn't too good either.

Sep 4, 2014 6:44 PM

Jun 2014
It felt like a filler episode...
MEH is all i can really say about it.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Sep 4, 2014 6:51 PM

Sep 2011
GOD DAMN IT!

I dont get it, i really dont get how the fuck this series keeps pulling shit like this, one minute its taking a step in the right direction then it immediately turns around and shoots itself in the foot, and this episode on further proves this series doesnt have any clue where it wants to go and is merely padding with this slow pacing rather than building up to something like slow shows should do. The biggest benefit from a slow pacing the ability to set up pay off events for later in the series with a proper groundwork. this show doesnt do that, it pads and pads and pads.

its disappointing to see a show with the potential to showcase the human side of war focusing on real soldiers in a war is wasted on a show like this that has absolutely no clue what it wants to be. granted my enthusiasm for this series completly vanished after seeing what the director of this series had done in the past.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 4, 2014 7:05 PM

Aug 2013
What happened? Last week's episode was intense and honestly the best episode since this show started airing (imo). I wish they followed it up with another good one while setting up for a lull. Now it felt like it peaked from last episode then it dropped off a cliff.

"Unlike a wife, you can't divorce this thing. We just have to make it fit."

That kind of made me cringe. Couldn't the writer use a different way to convey "we just have to make it work" or was he trying to point out that the chief is sexist just like what the female engineers said?

Seems really weird that the squad commander and his XO are absent while the squad's deployed at the front lines. Something's fishy.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 4, 2014 7:07 PM

Dec 2013
The beginning of the episode was kind of a waste of time, I could have taken advantage of at least one good comedy at the time that the boys were spying girls (found it a bit bland), but it was nice to show a little about the life of Okui, and how he managed to command the squadron during the battle and taking advantage of the fog to recede, however it was all downhill from failing to take account of the fight, at least managed to evacuate the city for more than is occupied by the enemy. This ep was good, let's see what the captain Samonji will talk to them :)
Sep 4, 2014 7:35 PM

Apr 2011
Somewhat annoyed that the White Fog of Purity completely blocked any female flesh and then utterly ignored the guy's asses. Unequal treatment much?

Speaking of fog, that was pretty handy that the town they were fighting in just happens to have thick layers of fog that come rolling in on a regular basis. Especially since their normal commander was in the bathroom the whole time shitting his brains out due to some bad fish, and the grunt they got to take over for him had little idea of what to do. He did manage to get everyone evacuated at least.

I just realized something ... if the commander was in the bathroom the whole time, did they end up leaving him in the town? Or did they drag him along in a port-o-potty? :P

Kinda a meh episode, needed more Argevollen.
Sep 4, 2014 8:29 PM

Jan 2011
Pretty clear that there were a lot of career non-coms there not champing at the bit to gain command experience. I thought Okui did an ok job for his first time out. He didn't lose anyone, they caused a few casualties on the other side and destroyed a few mechs, they evacuated the civilians, and they blew the bridge to halt the enemy advance. In light of the fact that they were outnumbered ten to one on mechs, and were also dealing with infantry and tank support on the other side, they did pretty damn well.

Maybe we'll get some answers on just what is going on since Samonji has been summoned to talk to a senior commander. I don't think this was a plot to get him away from the 8th as they were refitting well back of the line in a quiet sector--sometimes things just happen and a surprise attack that pushed through the front line at that particular location could not be anticipated.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Sep 4, 2014 8:34 PM

Aug 2012
Yeah this ep took a turn for the worse, especially the animation. The maintenance scene was particularly cringeworthy, remind me of Wizard Barristers ep 12
Sep 4, 2014 11:10 PM

Aug 2013
I saw nothing important in the episode for the development of the story, but I think the first and last scene may be important factors for the next events in the anime
but really like how the war is demonstrated in this anine, without hiding shows all the difficulties of those who fight and who is affected by it ..
Sep 5, 2014 3:57 AM

Aug 2014
I Like this show. But the animtion should be better thou.
Sep 5, 2014 5:52 PM

Oct 2013
pretty badass episode imo
it was super predictable but good
[/quote]
Sep 6, 2014 9:05 PM

Nov 2013
This episode basically did two things; showing more of the other unit 8 characters (specifically Okui) which was nice, and also showing how much they need their captain. Seriously, without him, Argevollen, and that seeker guy they would be utterly fucked. Though withdrawing was a good call on Okui's part.

I'm wondering what happened to that Tanita-fish guy, it seemed to me that he was left behind in that town. RIP.

4/5
Sep 7, 2014 12:24 AM

Dec 2013
Good episode. I love it when they focus on the rest of the squad. The plot-armor for this show is crazy still though. Argevollin should have fallen down that ravine for sure.

Other than that, the animation was a bit messed up, what with the talking and no mouth movements.

But the background for the dude who used to live in that town was good. I loved the realism where they can't win em all. That's what life is like, yo.

More of the same next episode would be good too.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Sep 7, 2014 7:12 PM

Oct 2011
Being captain is hard
Sep 8, 2014 6:26 AM
Mar 2008
Blind_Guardian said:
Somewhat annoyed that the White Fog of Purity completely blocked any female flesh and then utterly ignored the guy's asses. Unequal treatment much?

Hah, good point!
Sep 11, 2014 4:29 AM

Aug 2014
draker said:
Blind_Guardian said:

Hah, good point!

wait for blu ray ;D
Oct 7, 2014 4:11 AM

Nov 2011
4/5

Episode noticeable, narration taste SOL, I would say probable, during breaks one has fun and others work, no?
Plot interesting, you have a way to carry on the story and the subplots.
Wow! Improved designs, animations average.
Episode useful to give another example of how wars are won with strategies and with the knowledge of the places.
Not bad management of the characters, there was now another chance to get to know everyone without boring a lot.
Nov 28, 2014 9:47 AM

Apr 2012
SEXIST! the girls where completely censored but we got a full view of that guys ass
Apr 11, 2016 8:42 PM

Aug 2013
Well this was practically a filler episode.
They may be trying to develop the characters like Okui but I don't really feel it much.
The tittle next episode whoops things are getting nasty.
Jan 14, 2017 8:44 PM

Nov 2013
Nice fanservice in the first half, nice action in the second half.

Okui did a good job as commander.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Nov 25, 2020 1:21 PM

Aug 2014
this was a pointless episode to be honest. Felt just like an episode to meet the 24 episodes requirement. Only the last two minutes of this episode where Samonji was going to meet a superior of his was the only thing that mattered.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2014

72 by oooo3333 »»
Dec 6, 2020 12:07 AM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

74 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 16, 2017 7:10 PM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2014

76 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 11, 2017 7:26 AM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

91 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 10, 2017 1:44 PM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2014

194 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 8, 2017 5:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.