Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 20, 2008 6:41 AM
Sep 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I really liked how the tryouts turned out in the end
even though it would have been nice if they won, but that really would have been a bit too stereotypical. like, against all odds, the heroes prevail(tm). i also found it nice how nick developed, even if it was a bit fast. i mean, he has been brought up as racist as he was before his whole life, and after half an hour with goro he changes his whole mindset? for the others to become a nice team was a bit more believable, as they werent such jerks to begin with.
and its cool that goro rocked the house, leaving the others already behind xD
cant wait to see how it continues ^^
Feb 1, 2008 1:15 AM

May 2007
Yay, baseball animes!

I'm glad they wrapped up the tryout quickly like that... I wouldn't have wanted to spend a bunch of episodes on it. I didn't really think they needed that racism subplot if they were going to wrap it up that quickly... but who knows? Maybe it's foreshadowing for a more serious conflict to come? ...Or maybe it's just a random thing to insert in since Goro's not in a homogeneous environment anymore. Meh.

I'm kind of sorry to see Hayato go though -- just because I'm an obnoxious Kenichi Suzumura fan. So... what's Goro going to do now without a friend or any money?
Feb 1, 2008 7:01 AM

Aug 2007
That was a cheesy ending to the racism part, they could've done much more with that.
I'm hoping the next episode is better, and I think it will be.

Thanks De-Jay for my claim picture : ).
Feb 1, 2008 9:59 AM

Dec 2007
This episode was sugeeeee !
Feb 1, 2008 2:09 PM

Jan 2007
Fun episode. Love watching the baseball.
Feb 1, 2008 3:39 PM

Nov 2007
Awakened said:
it would have been nice if they won, but that really would have been a bit too stereotypical. like, against all odds, the heroes prevail(tm).

Though it's getting kind of predictable considering it seems to happen all the time in this anime. It's always "Goro was impressive in a loss."

I'm hoping he doesn't make the major league team. I was looking forward to seeing him work his way through the minor leagues. Hopefully in Spring Training he finds out that throwing only fastballs won't cut it in the majors.
Feb 1, 2008 4:45 PM

May 2007
bluethree said:
I'm hoping he doesn't make the major league team. I was looking forward to seeing him work his way through the minor leagues. Hopefully in Spring Training he finds out that throwing only fastballs won't cut it in the majors.

You know that's an interesting point. Because (1) that's true and (2) even though Joe Gibson managed to strike out everyone in that one U.S. game w/ fastballs (to prove how awesome Honda was)... wasn't the whole thing about Gibson's fastballs vs. Honda in the first season that Gibson was underestimating baseball and looking down on the Japanese pros? When you look at it like that -- despite Goro's "good" intentions to compete with Gibson -- isn't Goro kind of really just looking down on baseball?
Feb 4, 2008 6:15 AM
Sep 2007
yeah, i agree to that. i mean, of course goro is good, but hes not the baseball god. its not like he can throw a lot faster or anything, and in the majors his speed is good but not unmatched. AND the others who throw like him have breaking balls which he doesn't. so you could say he kind of sucks compared to them ^^
epi4spoiler:
Apr 15, 2010 12:10 AM

Feb 2008
anyone who's good enough to make it into the minors, especially anyone raised in the south, would definitely have run into non-white first-rate players. its unlikely that one, game this late in his his life, would change his mind.

I doubt that he'd get into the majors when he only has one pitch, idc how fast it is.

I was expecting this, but I was hoping he would be on one of the worst teams around again.

lol at the last scene, totally didn't see it coming ; )
ofc, that just makes it worse that they won't be on the same team now :/
May 17, 2010 1:09 AM

Sep 2008
lol, I was hoping at the end that he would find those thieves since they went back to the hotel, but tough luck for Goro.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 24, 2012 7:15 AM
Apr 2011
That was kinda quick to get into the Majors training thing. Hopefully he actually practices other than fast balls lol. Even though his speed is good, as others say, those in the majors throw at that speed with great control and different types of pitches. I hope they don't keep with the "I only throw fast balls" thing and he learns that that crap doesn't work in the real world. :p
Oct 12, 2012 11:34 AM

Jan 2012
leave it to goro to make racists think twice about being a racist...

XD
Jul 4, 2013 1:14 AM

Jul 2008
That racism issue was handled way too quickly and nicely. And Goro joining the Major's spring squad already? Damn that's fast.

About Gibson, the only reason he did that in the all star game was for Goro's sake and his dad. but Gibson knows more than just a fastball. His fastball is his best pitch but even he knows when to mix it up.

Goro...learn some more damn pitches and refine your fastball.
Dec 10, 2013 3:49 AM

Aug 2009
haha thats Goro for you going for a second tier team so he can help them win!
same ol, same ol. Nice episode! I really liked the outcome. Can't wait to see what happens next

Jan 11, 2014 6:39 PM

May 2012
I was very surprised that he was asked to the Major team but i like it!!
Apr 30, 2014 7:58 PM

Oct 2012
"lol, my father told me people of color are all bad and can't be trusted. Now I met a few nice ones, so fuck that racism-shit."
Ridiculous, they could have done without that.

But I liked the episode, it was obvious that they didn't have to win this match. If you look at it this way: They managed to beat a team that is higher ranked than themselves with 9:0...
Jan 3, 2015 12:39 AM

Nov 2009
Well this is interesting, didn't expect Goro to become a member of the Major League so quickly. However what is he going to do now that his translator is gone? Seems kind of screwed if you ask me.
Apr 16, 2015 6:07 AM

Aug 2013
No matter how many times it's done, I never get tired to see Gorou keep his spirits up when everyone around him is downhearted. Thanks to him, everyone can manage to remain optimistic. :) Again, it was a nice match, I'm looking forward to more.
Jul 1, 2015 8:06 PM

Aug 2013
Goro, solving one casual racism problem at a time. What a bro. He's the ultimate bro. When he's not being super selfish.

Fucking Goro. Skipping right to the Major. It's true that he really seemed like from another league, completely.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jul 24, 2015 3:35 AM
Aug 8, 2015 8:42 AM

Jan 2013
A long and exciting road ahead.
Great episode
Oct 14, 2015 4:54 PM

Sep 2010
Oh my... this season is already 10x times better than the two previous ones combined.
Jan 28, 2016 11:59 PM

Jan 2013
aww man

I hope ginumachiiiiiii returns
Apr 23, 2016 9:20 AM

Feb 2013
They all passed and Goro is on the main team's "toaster",lol, he really needs to learn English.
Sep 6, 2016 12:49 PM

Feb 2008
If Goro actually manages to get into the Major team, he really needs to start learning English lol. Kind of insane how he went to America without knowing English or having a translator. Sure a couple decades before would have made sense, but it's at a point where all schools teach English lol.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Sep 3, 2017 1:05 AM

Nov 2011
Wow, that racism subplot. Racism isn't solved like that that quickly irl, but whatever.

I think a numher of people here are severely underestimating how incredible a pitch that verges on 100MPH is. It's definitely not unmatched, but even in the Majors it's good. Not just anyone is going to be able to throw or hit a pitch that fast.

All the same, I do think it would be in Gorou's best interest to learn a really good breaking ball at this point since there are sluggers who could hit that. Even Gibson has a curveball he uses to keep batters on their toes and make his fastballs seem even faster.
Jan 4, 2018 4:13 PM

Nov 2016
Cool that the try out team showed some teamwork and sign of friendship there,even tho it's kinds unrealistic,but whatever.

Ending was priceless.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 15, 2019 5:25 PM

Oct 2013
Im not the biggest fan of the opening. Best opening so far has been the opening from season 1.

Refreshingly new to see some guys from America and to see Goro playing miles aways from Japan. Trying to understand english playing as energetic as always.

The first three episodes felt like holidays. No pressure yet. It has got a great atmosphere. Going to love that season!
My only regret is having regrets!
Mar 19, 2020 2:56 PM

Apr 2016
This fourth season started well. I’m curious to know how Goro’s experience in Major League will be.
Jul 31, 2020 7:20 AM

Dec 2007
the "tryout test" was pretty excepted, it's not new for us to get that kind of test after the Kaido tests in S2
I don't know if I love nick development, it's hardly one episode to know he is racist and episode after that in one and half minute he changes his mind, it's known for the anime to make you love the character the anime made us hate in the previous, but that was too fast even for the anime, I barely had the time to even know about him. from reason though I have the feeling it's the anime fault to enter some more chapters than usual in this episode to run things out.
the development at the end was actually unexpected at all, for once that I would think those characters aren't temporarily and second for rushing things for goro that had been pretty slow past seasons.
from that apart, I'm actually satisfied from goro development, he finally much more calculated and cooperating person than last season.
Oct 17, 2021 4:53 PM

Jul 2015
Doubting what his father taught him after encountering the opposite case is realistic but Nick stopped being rascist was just way too abrupt, this rascism subplot should've been omitted imo.

These try-outs turned out better than expected with the nice teamplays and also the realistic aspect of Goro having blisters because of his recovery and them losing.

May 29, 2022 9:40 AM

Apr 2016
If only racism would be solved that easily...

But well, it's not pretty believable, but this is not an anime about that, so it's okay.
Sep 16, 2022 4:33 PM

Dec 2020
my man goro ended racism in just two eps

More topics from this board

Poll: » Major S4 Episode 18 Discussion

Harout - Nov 10, 2008

27 by QuestIonMark_ »»
Aug 8, 2023 6:50 PM

Poll: » Major S4 Episode 8 Discussion

Faust721 - Apr 3, 2008

33 by Meranwise »»
Oct 27, 2022 6:31 AM

Poll: » Major S4 Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Harout - Dec 28, 2008

50 by CLADDAN »»
Sep 19, 2022 7:01 PM

Poll: » Major S4 Episode 2 Discussion

lowell - Jan 21, 2008

34 by ims-tokyo »»
Jul 18, 2022 2:55 AM

Poll: » Major S4 Episode 1 Discussion

lowell - Jan 14, 2008

47 by ims-tokyo »»
Jul 18, 2022 2:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.