Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 3, 8:21 AM

Nov 2011
Maomao looked so pretty in her makeup imo. She got a makeover for reasons but also got to spend more time with Jinshi.

I do kinda feel bad that they pushed so much responsibility onto Maomao though. She deserves a break but given her role in the show, it's not going to happen any time soon. The chemistry between her and Jinshi imo is always amusing to watch.
Feb 3, 8:22 AM

May 2020
As depicted and quoted throughout the course of this series, Jinshi is a “beautiful” man. Goes without saying, why Maomao was quite shaken when she heard Jinshi saying do me a makeup lol. Though what we’re talking about isn’t some makeup to transcend his beauty to whole new levels, but is a makeup to help him look like a commoner.

Pretty sure Maomao was really enjoying this makeup tutorial with her homemade beauty aids, I mean see what she did to his face once lol, but okay, she somehow managed to make him look like an average commoner… to some extent, I mean he has quite a face, so it would never be that extreme but still. Though Jinshi with his belly out and all lol.

Was looking forward to this… Jinshi and Maomao’s little stroll in the city. Seeing her being the oujosama and Jinshi her servant was sort of fun lol. Though Jinshi went there for a reason, which is quite easy to guess after all his meetings with Lakan, seeing Maomao kind of reserved enough while walking with Jinshi… though just when it came to talking, kind of just shows she really wanted to go home quickly lol. Anyways, Maomao you had it wrong when you assumed why Jinshi wanted to visit Hanamachi, but leaving that aside, Jinshi asked what he wanted to...

... the way to lower the price of a courtesan, and that is quite easy to guess, I mean if they get pregnant, they practically become worthless. We'll see what it actually means in due time.
Softhenic03Feb 3, 8:27 AM
Feb 3, 9:25 AM

Dec 2021
Jinshi definitely doesn't need makeup – he's naturally good just the way he is.

Maomao was asked by Jinshi, who seemed capable of causing the downfall of a nation, to transform him with makeup. Applying powder to create a sun-kissed appearance, wrapping a sash around his body to create an unflattering figure, and donning commoner's clothes, Jinshi undergoes a transformation into a completely different person. After completing the task, Maomao contemplates returning home for a long-overdue break. However, he is persuaded by Suiren and Gaoshun to stay and ends up having to disguise himself as well, walking through the city alongside Jinshi.

"He could smell worse," lol. When it comes to blending in as a commoner, Maomao's the expert. Seeing Jinshi as a female is just... no words. Even with a commoner's look, Jinshi still pulls off handsome. Suiren, orchestrating the opposite for Maomao, looks really good. And yeah, she does look good. Poor Jinshi, or should I say Jinka, just wants to have a chat with Maomao. That bodyguard guy... he really wanted some of that chicken. Can't blame him; I'd want some too. At least he got plenty in the end, lol. Talking about the whole Jinshi and toy thing again, I guess it's a play on the idea that Maomao is Jinshi's new "toy." Things got serious towards the end; it's interesting how this world works.

No doubt, it's a tough world, especially for a courtesan.

Feb 3, 10:26 AM

Apr 2014
There were a lot of nice and funny scenes in this episode, but this shot is the best.
何それ?意味分かんない
Feb 3, 11:08 AM
May 2021
These eps always go quick man, seeing maomao all dolled up tho w/ Jinshii.
Feb 3, 11:18 AM

Apr 2010
Moamoa had a lot of fun playing with the makeup without Jinshi realising it.
It was also nice to see them walking around like that the ending of the episode was harsh tho.
Feb 3, 11:22 AM

Feb 2021
All these cases seem episodic, but there are always little details mentioned from previous cases, so I'm sure everything is connected somehow...
壬氏 (jinshi). 壬 (jin) - 9th sign of the Chinese calendar. 氏 (shi) - clan; family; lineage; or Mr.
壬華 (jinka). 華 (ka/hana) - brilliance; magnificence or flower.
Interesting why Jinshi wants to go to that place...
The piercing look Maomao gave Jinshi after he asked her the question, damn.
Really good episode. We got to see some more scenes from the OP. Oh, and of course, Maomao was really pretty.
Feb 3, 11:37 AM

Jul 2017
It was a slower episode, but it was good, definitely better than the last couple of episodes for sure. The setting and vibe of the episode in general was a nice change of pace until the end where Maomao reveals that to lower the value of a courtesan, the loss of purity and even pregnancy can have a big effect on them. Pretty simple answer but should build well to explore Lakan's character in the upcoming episode. Was kind of fun seeing Maomao try her best to make Jinshi look like a commoner, to admittedly mixed results. Natural beauty can only cover up so much given how this is a temporary look too for the sake of being a disguise. Maomao looked good too. Feels good to have the series have a bit more focus with this episode compared to some of the mystery cases from the last couple episodes, it was definitely more interesting watching this even if it was mainly just Maomao applying makeup and strolling around while learning more about courtesans.
Feb 3, 11:41 AM
Mar 2019
Great episode. I'm currently theorizing that Lakan is her biological father.

“We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories... And those that carry us forward, are dreams.”
― H.G. Wells, The Time Machine

Feb 3, 11:43 AM

Oct 2012
Great episode (as always). The best are always the ones that feature Jinshi and Maomao's relationship though, like this one. Things are about to go down in the next episode it seems.

I was thinking that maybe the sick oman was Maomao's mom (green hair, the whole op sequence), but didn't think about what that would mean for a courtesan... I just hope Lakan isn't Maomao's father, because that is just tooooo much.

The disappointment when she realized Jinshi was going to a brothel and her eyes when he asked her how to decrease the value of a courtesan...

Super hyped for the next episode!
Feb 3, 11:46 AM

Sep 2017
Of course. A woman is worthless after she's had sex... Yeah shoulda saw that coming but it just never thought the high ranking courtesans would actually be virgins. It makes too much sense in hindsight. Lakan was really a scumbag.
Feb 3, 11:47 AM

Jul 2011
Makeup tutorial for part of this episode.

Differently of the garden party, Maomao dressing up this time, looked that she is barely older than Lishu.

I thought Jinshi already knew about Luomen being Maomao adoptive father.
Feb 3, 11:48 AM

Mar 2021
Maomao looked so beautiful all dressed up and it was funny seeing her help Jinshi look more common and less handsome
Feb 3, 11:55 AM

Apr 2021
The best episode of the show so far, for me. An unexpected narrative angle used to good effect.
Feb 3, 12:01 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to ProofByColor
Of course. A woman is worthless after she's had sex... Yeah shoulda saw that coming but it just never thought the high ranking courtesans would actually be virgins. It makes too much sense in hindsight. Lakan was really a scumbag.
@ProofByColor they are not all virgins (just look at Pairin), just have to have other talents besides being good in bed and if you are a virgin more chances some wealthy guy will pay the brothel to marry you. Getting pregnant on the other hand...
Nachtwandler_21Feb 3, 12:09 PM
Feb 3, 12:08 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to Embient
All these cases seem episodic, but there are always little details mentioned from previous cases, so I'm sure everything is connected somehow...
壬氏 (jinshi). 壬 (jin) - 9th sign of the Chinese calendar. 氏 (shi) - clan; family; lineage; or Mr.
壬華 (jinka). 華 (ka/hana) - brilliance; magnificence or flower.
Interesting why Jinshi wants to go to that place...
The piercing look Maomao gave Jinshi after he asked her the question, damn.
Really good episode. We got to see some more scenes from the OP. Oh, and of course, Maomao was really pretty.
@Embient also, in this setting "ka" is used by the royal family...
Feb 3, 12:35 PM

Nov 2013
Damn Jinshi spelling beans this episode with him being at the camp, hands showing weapon-training etc. At this point wonder if one day Maomao will try to sneak a peek under his underwear lol. She's been having her suspicions for some time now.
Feb 3, 12:42 PM
May 2018
Kind of wish the show would look more into the relationship between Maomao and her father. To me, it just acts as a plot point right now rather than any actual parental relationship. I get that they might not have the closest of relationships, with Maomao being pretty independent, but Jinshi thinking Maomao didn't want to spend time with him when she clearly wanted to visit her father and help take care of him was a bit infuriating.
Feb 3, 12:57 PM

Jul 2022
zamn so could that weird man be maomao father?!?!?!
Feb 3, 1:20 PM
Dec 2020
that disgusting rat being maomao's biological father is not something i'm willing to accept
Feb 3, 1:29 PM

May 2019
What a great episode, I enjoy the ones with both Maomao and Jinshi. I laughed when the bodyguard that accompanied both of them drooled when Maomao got chicken skewers and then later on saw him with 3 of them, good for him as I was thinking for him to buy a couple lol.

We got more info dump and I'm suspecting that the courtesan whom lost significant value due to getting pregnant and was very smart was most likely Maomao's biological mother with Lakan possibly being her biological father. That could explain Maomao's mannerisms such as being both intelligent and clever.

Speaking of Maomao, she looks beautiful enough with makeup but add a smile (and food) and wow:
Feb 3, 1:50 PM

Feb 2019
😩 Maomao fangirling over Jinshi in this episode was great. We already knew he was a nice looking guy but her shuttering at the idea of him wearing makeup and getting even more attractive was so funny. Would definitely tempt both genders.

I found the little misunderstanding between Jinshi and Maomao about the freckles to be so cute. She thinks they’re a way to nerf beauty but Jinshi really likes how they look on her and wants some for himself 😂

Maomao was having a little too much fun playing makeup with Jinshi so it’s only right lady Suiren dresses her up too, lol. Man she looks amazing in any outfit. I love how the series gives us so many different Maomao outfits

I think my fave kusuriya eps are the ones like this with Maomao and Jinshi just going around with their banter and synergy. The switch up on their usual roles with Jinshi being the one to address her formally and him being the commoner was fun. It also gave him a chance to if only temporarily, remove some of the space between the two of them.

“Is life in the palace that bad?” Aw man, Maomao trying to get away from Jinshi really had him feeling some type of way. Bro just wants to spend a nice day out with her without the whole palace roles and dynamic distance between them.

And so like I guessed a couple episodes ago, the main way to devalue a courtesan is going after her purity. I really hope that old dude isn’t maomao’s dad.. this series does a good job of throwing me for a loop, so hopefully there’s a twist.

Can’t wait for the next episode.
Marinate1016Feb 3, 2:04 PM
Feb 3, 2:40 PM
Oct 2016
A good old fashioned role reversal with Maomao being the prominent lady and Jinshi disguised as her commoner attendant. Jinshi presenting that odd request for Maomao to put makeup on him so he can go meet someone in town. Such a funny montage of Maomao applying different things to Jinshi that alters his appearance. She had tons of fun messing with him under free reign of making him look so different, Maomao did a great job changing Jinshi to be so different from his normal self. Had the tables turned on her a bit by having to be all different looking too so they both fit the part. Leading to Maomao being the elegant lady and Jinshi acting as if he's accompanying her. They shared a nice meal together with Maomao catching particular words Jinshi says. I wonder when she's gonna piece together that he's not a eunuch. Jinshi did follow Lakan advice and asked someone familiar with courtesan practices and what the best way to lower ones value is and he got his answer.
Feb 3, 3:07 PM

Mar 2014
Maomao is finally starting to question Jinshi being an eunuch and Lakan might be Maomao's father. And that preview, next week is going to be big.
AnimeSoapFeb 3, 3:15 PM
Feb 3, 3:37 PM

Sep 2016
Next episode my boy Lakan will be hated by 99% of people.
Feb 3, 4:01 PM
May 2017
Another excellent episode! Team Jinshi-Maomao to the win!
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Feb 3, 4:02 PM
May 2017
Reply to Stark700
Maomao looked so pretty in her makeup imo. She got a makeover for reasons but also got to spend more time with Jinshi.

I do kinda feel bad that they pushed so much responsibility onto Maomao though. She deserves a break but given her role in the show, it's not going to happen any time soon. The chemistry between her and Jinshi imo is always amusing to watch.
@Stark700 Maomao is the perfect one to take such responsibility and she delivers.
Feb 3, 4:04 PM
May 2017
Reply to ProofByColor
@ProofByColor Not a woman. A courtesan.
Feb 3, 5:08 PM

Apr 2022
maomao came through with the makeup for jinshi, wild transformation. maomao looked great though, and them just hanging out is neat.
Feb 3, 5:16 PM

Dec 2007
Nachtwandler_21 said:
@Embient also, in this setting "ka" is used by the royal family...

given this fact, maybe Jinka is his actual name, I'm guessing.
Feb 3, 5:18 PM

Jan 2021
Whoa is MaoMao going to find the truth of her mom!
Feb 3, 5:43 PM

Mar 2020
Jinshi asked the unpleasant question, and I feel something big is on the horizon...

Most of this episode was a return to more of the fun comedic moments, with Jinshi looking to meet someone in the town. He wanted to look like a commoner though, and that makeup scene was very funny. A lot of the character chemistry has been a joy to watch, and with the fun interactions, I had a much better time this episode than the last few.

The big moment about this episode was Jinshi asking Maomao how one can lower the value of a courtesan, and when that question was asked, Maomao was understandably upset. This plot point seems like it could lead into a big reveal, and something tells me Lakan might be a critical part in Maomao's past, which could prove extremely interesting.
Feb 3, 5:44 PM

Nov 2010
  • The fine thin dress revealed MaoMao's body line; completely flat chest.
  • The 3D horse seemed out of place because of its artificiality.
  • The snapped flower was replaced from the source material. Calla was used in the manga. As the manga is depicted in white and black, the color of the flower is not clear. But I think it's white. Its "language of flower" is purity. and also the flower is toxic.

Feb 3, 6:22 PM
Apr 2021
dear manga or lighnovel readers, can u tell me if Mao mao ever finds out her biological father is Lakan? cause as a watcher i rly want things cleared up for everyone
Feb 3, 6:23 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
Ah it’s a shame we don’t have much time left with this series 😩 another 7 episodes and it’ll be done. It has been one heck of a roller coaster 🎢 and a really refreshing one at that. Sometimes you need to get away from all the action and sit back and enjoy a show like this.
Feb 3, 6:31 PM

Mar 2020
The disguise are great haha Maomao is so beautiful.

So losing a high class courtesan's value is impregnating it. 🙂

Such a dirty trick to lower the value into nothingness.

Next week is about get 👀🔥
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
Feb 3, 7:05 PM

Sep 2012
Reply to Alex_the_reaper
dear manga or lighnovel readers, can u tell me if Mao mao ever finds out her biological father is Lakan? cause as a watcher i rly want things cleared up for everyone
@Alex_the_reaper
Feb 3, 7:12 PM
Mar 2015
Our boi is too cute for words Not worthy of a high class prostitute He would ruin her value
Feb 3, 7:14 PM
Oct 2010
Jinka, mah dude, you really need to do some setup before dropping a loaded question like that... I mean... if looks could kill, there would've been a murder in broad daylight in the middle of the street with tons of witnesses around. Maomao can make some really goofy playful expressions but when she's not messin' about she's scary.
Feb 3, 8:22 PM

Mar 2007
MaoMao hesitating to put feminine make up on Jinshi in case he turns out too attractive since wars have been fought over beautiful women. And then she can't resist later, but "nothing is going on."

But my eyes can't unsee it, Oh my those muscles on Jinshi ...

Then the chicken skewers lol.

Finally, that poor courtesan ... WTH did that evil guy do??
Feb 3, 8:37 PM

Jul 2012
Whew, the cold gaze from Maomao's eyes. The tone suddenly shifted to serious there.
Feb 3, 8:39 PM

Jun 2023
The clues + the pv for next episode..

Could Lakan be Maomao’s father?
Could Jinshi be not a eunuch??

Anyways Maomao looked beautiful with makeup.
Feb 3, 10:02 PM
Jan 2019
I watch Kusuriya no Hitorigoto for the Plot.

The plot: https://imgur.com/a/foM438x
Feb 3, 10:15 PM

May 2015
What an epidose! It was a treat seeing them seemingly swapping their place in the hierarchy then go out of the usual environment the story takes place in, to a world Maomao is more accostumed to.
Feb 3, 10:15 PM

Mar 2008
Jinshi in a fat suit isn't exactly what I expected when he asked for Maomao to do his makeup lol

Well now we know what the monocle guy Lakan was talking about. I knew that was one possibility, i had also considered him doing something to harm her physical appearance. Bullshitting a bit is also possible actually he may have not done anything sinister.
Feb 3, 10:16 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
I like how this episode wasn't just about Maomao skill doing the makeup to our beautiful eunuch. But also about investigating each other background. Maomao while investigating Jinshi body, if she's bold enough she can get a clear answer already, on this episode. Meanwhile, Jinshi and that unpleasant question straight to the case, quite answering Lakan puzzling riddle before. I may try to make some more question about this episode, but i decide to let it flow for now and see where this all halted...

So, idk what's the importance of Jinshi inspection inside those restaurant. But looking at the next episode title, it's must be spicy.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Feb 3, 10:33 PM

Jul 2016
It took all that effort to nerf Jinshi's attractiveness and he still ended up somewhat beautiful. He really won the gene lottery lmao

Learning that Maomao's dad was a eunuch has some bleak implications for who her real father is.
Feb 4, 12:28 AM

Nov 2013
Reply to Drimson
@Alex_the_reaper
@Drimson
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Feb 4, 12:30 AM

Nov 2013
I still dont understand why Jinshi need to dress as a commoner to visit that restaurant. Dont they also say the pleasure district will kick you out if you smell bad too.
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Feb 4, 12:34 AM

Nov 2023
Maomao was tasked with making Jinshi look like a commoner; she did, but he still looks attractive.

They got to spend time together, but the ending shifted the tone. Jinshi asked how to lower the value of a courtesan, and Maomao answered, leaving some questions.

We also learn that Maomao's father is an eunuch, which pretty much opens up theories on who her father actually is.

Next week is gonna answer some questions, I'm sure.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» So simple question...

ANIk_003 - Yesterday

20 by Phloup »»
Yesterday, 6:25 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

262 by ksipe »»
May 30, 12:26 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Softhenic03 - Dec 16, 2023

166 by Noeiro »»
May 29, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 28, 2023

204 by wumuti »»
May 26, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

209 by wumuti »»
May 26, 7:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.