Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (20) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 11, 2013 1:18 PM

Jan 2009
Censor... is a shit.
english isn't my native language... ;)
May 11, 2013 1:26 PM

Mar 2012
Beaver897 said:

Mother of God, I guess some people never become satisfed anymore. This flashback wasn't about Eren turning badass or some shi*, it was showing how Eren has always been a problem child that's been violent and aggressive, and how that side of him saved Mikasa even through rash decisions and turned her into what she is at the present. I personally dno't mind of some people wdn't think Eren is badass (seeing a 9-year old calling criminals rabid dogs that only look like humans seems too dangerous), but with this, nobody can deny that Eren is the reason that Mikasa's badass and has survived until now.

The problem I have with it is that no 9 year old would ever say that kind of thing, or would even have the capacity to think like that. Reality is that kids parrot what is said around them, only as they grow older do they begin to have their own ideas, thought-processes, language. As of yet, there is no real indication that Eren's parents taught him anything concerning the idea of criminals being rabid dogs that only look like humans. That is a concept that is just too deep for me to accept that a child came up with it on his/her own, not to mention the whole "fight or die!" concept. I think they could easily have kept him doing something like that (killing the shit out of some people at a young age to save Mikasa) without shoving concepts into his mouth that don't belong there.

It's just a part of the story-line that I don't think works that well. For one, it's unrealistic. For another, it doesn't seem to fit the character all that well. Regardless of what the people he killed were doing (and yeah, they definitely deserved it) for a kid like that to display such unthinking violence with not even a hint of remorse is a strong sign of serious mental disorders. You'd have to be one fucked up little kid to do that (again, let's be clear, the dudes deserved it) and not have any mental hang-ups about it. Maybe they'll go into that later, but they gave no hints of it before which is a flaw imo. And having him be an angry person doesn't cut it. That kind of behavior should have manifested itself in a lot of different ways other than rash and quick to anger and prone to aggression. Due to it being so out-of-the-blue and a little bit over-the-top, I just can't help but think that a big part of the motivation behind putting that particular story in there was to outline how "badass" a character he is.

It just would have been better to me to have him save her from wolves or something. Or to give signs in his personality BEFORE this happened (being only slightly more aggressive than 99% of boys his age would be doesn't cut it) that hinted at something like that existing within him. And it was definitely a mistake, IMO, to have him spouting off concepts like: "Criminals are rabid dogs" and "Fight or die!" unless it was clear that he was parroting someone elses thoughts.
Let's go bowling.
May 11, 2013 1:31 PM
Oct 2012
The author is not portraying Eren as normal, so yes, you could say he has serious mental disorders. His sense of justice is way over the top that the author said that he's not done with Eren as a character just yet in the databook.
May 11, 2013 1:55 PM

Sep 2011
Amarrez said:
zellami said:
^ Did she taste?

She did not, which was a shame.

Awww... She licked crista in the manga

Looks like a flash back ep?
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
May 11, 2013 2:02 PM

Jun 2009
StopDropAndBowl said:
Beaver897 said:

Mother of God, I guess some people never become satisfed anymore. This flashback wasn't about Eren turning badass or some shi*, it was showing how Eren has always been a problem child that's been violent and aggressive, and how that side of him saved Mikasa even through rash decisions and turned her into what she is at the present. I personally dno't mind of some people wdn't think Eren is badass (seeing a 9-year old calling criminals rabid dogs that only look like humans seems too dangerous), but with this, nobody can deny that Eren is the reason that Mikasa's badass and has survived until now.

The problem I have with it is that no 9 year old would ever say that kind of thing, or would even have the capacity to think like that. Reality is that kids parrot what is said around them, only as they grow older do they begin to have their own ideas, thought-processes, language. As of yet, there is no real indication that Eren's parents taught him anything concerning the idea of criminals being rabid dogs that only look like humans. That is a concept that is just too deep for me to accept that a child came up with it on his/her own, not to mention the whole "fight or die!" concept. I think they could easily have kept him doing something like that (killing the shit out of some people at a young age to save Mikasa) without shoving concepts into his mouth that don't belong there.

It's just a part of the story-line that I don't think works that well. For one, it's unrealistic. For another, it doesn't seem to fit the character all that well. Regardless of what the people he killed were doing (and yeah, they definitely deserved it) for a kid like that to display such unthinking violence with not even a hint of remorse is a strong sign of serious mental disorders. You'd have to be one fucked up little kid to do that (again, let's be clear, the dudes deserved it) and not have any mental hang-ups about it. Maybe they'll go into that later, but they gave no hints of it before which is a flaw imo. And having him be an angry person doesn't cut it. That kind of behavior should have manifested itself in a lot of different ways other than rash and quick to anger and prone to aggression. Due to it being so out-of-the-blue and a little bit over-the-top, I just can't help but think that a big part of the motivation behind putting that particular story in there was to outline how "badass" a character he is.

It just would have been better to me to have him save her from wolves or something. Or to give signs in his personality BEFORE this happened (being only slightly more aggressive than 99% of boys his age would be doesn't cut it) that hinted at something like that existing within him. And it was definitely a mistake, IMO, to have him spouting off concepts like: "Criminals are rabid dogs" and "Fight or die!" unless it was clear that he was parroting someone elses thoughts.

you are absolutely right...
felt this when I read the manga...It could have been done so much better but oh well..
Luckily it is the only thing that really annoyed me so I forgave it and enjoyed the rest :)
The spring I met you,

The spring without you.
May 11, 2013 2:05 PM

Mar 2013
Well, I was expecting some more action, and maybe what happen with eren. But a background to Mikasa was good too.

Btw, mikasa OP as hell.
May 11, 2013 2:06 PM
May 2012
StopDropAndBowl said:
Beaver897 said:

Maybe it's because of the Titans? Even before the death of his mother,he was more concerned about them than the majority of the soldiers and he wished to kill them all.He saw many persons die,and he always dreamed to go outside.
May 11, 2013 2:08 PM

Oct 2012
Perfect adaption. I'm fine with how they are censoring it. Definitely looking forward to the release of the OST next month.

Next week is gonna be amazing.
May 11, 2013 2:08 PM

Feb 2013
liked the flash back, now there is a reason why she is so 'obsessed' with eren

i love they are not missing a single important part so far through out the adaptation

10/5
May 11, 2013 2:10 PM

Mar 2008
dankickyou said:
Eren has more balls at age 9 than most.

I had (and have) two balls. This is not enough? He had how many?
May 11, 2013 2:14 PM

Mar 2012
RinM said:

felt this when I read the manga...It could have been done so much better but oh well..
Luckily it is the only thing that really annoyed me so I forgave it and enjoyed the rest :)

Oh it's easily forgivable, and it's not really a huge flaw at all, I just didn't really like it's application. If that is the biggest flaw in the story that ever shows up than it will be a pretty effing good anime, possibly even a masterpiece.
Let's go bowling.
May 11, 2013 2:14 PM

May 2013
PaninaManina said:
dankickyou said:
Eren has more balls at age 9 than most.

I had (and have) two balls. This is not enough? He had how many?

He maybe had 3 so that might explain it
May 11, 2013 2:36 PM

Jun 2009
StopDropAndBowl said:
RinM said:

Oh it's easily forgivable, and it's not really a huge flaw at all, I just didn't really like it's application. If that is the biggest flaw in the story that ever shows up than it will be a pretty effing good anime, possibly even a masterpiece.

As much as I can remember it is the biggest flaw...Now prepare your self for some amazing character development XD
that is if they keep it like in the manga and don't change too much
The spring I met you,

The spring without you.
May 11, 2013 2:45 PM

Dec 2012
GodlyKyon said:
Amarrez said:
zellami said:
^ Did she taste?

She did not, which was a shame.

Awww... She licked crista in the manga

Looks like a flash back ep?

Character(s) driven and a bitter reality check. Perhaps in the world as theirs, personal hopes are petty and selfish, but loss is still loss and hurts like hell.

It never stops to amaze me how vivid and impressive are the kyojins in the anime -_-; ... I think it's safe to mark that the kyojin running to the gate is a type of kyojin.
May 11, 2013 2:46 PM

Mar 2013
Radius said:
shanimebib said:
If Shingeki fans still hate Eren after this episode, I really don't know what is what anymore. At least I can tell that they don't have the right to like Mikasa if they hate Eren.

Eren isn't a waifu material but Mikasa is. A lot of nerds would like a "sister" like Mikasa, so they dislike Eren because that's where Mikasa's all attention is directed. I am not saying everyone who hates Eren is like that though. Some people have different tastes or reasons which I honestly understand.

That's literally so pathetic that I actually cannot fathom the thought process behind it.
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams

"...but all these feels that are currently assaulting me don't seem to care. Conversely, I'm also aggressively erect at the moment..."
May 11, 2013 2:56 PM

Nov 2010
Was Mikasa's backstory just messed up a little or maybe a lot?

MANGA SPOILER
May 11, 2013 3:26 PM
May 2011
lol I thought mikasa determination change her into titan...I mean titan power...even she broke the knife's grip, scary power

wtf there was a changing in mikasa's arm clan inheritance into sewing ? wtf....

AshtonClaudeMay 11, 2013 3:30 PM
May 11, 2013 3:32 PM

Aug 2011
I always thought Mikasa was at least a year older than Eren. Are they trying to make a romance subplot out of this? And I'm curious about their ages, too. They look around 13 when the first titan attack came. So they're around 18 now? Mikasa sure looks it; not Eren, though.

Also, I still don't think he's dead...
May 11, 2013 3:32 PM

Dec 2009
Good sad episode. Those 3 scum bags really pissed me off.

Can't wait for next weeks episode.
May 11, 2013 3:34 PM

Aug 2009
BEST ANIME 2013 PLZZZ ?!

//SOBBING!!

THIS EPISODE WAS GREAT T.T

100/10

cant wait for next week
May 11, 2013 3:34 PM

Nov 2012
Fuckers didn't show Eren surviving being eaten by that Eoten.. Gahh I know he can't just be dead, but now I have to wait for next week to see how he survives..
May 11, 2013 3:37 PM

Nov 2010
itsvero said:
I always thought Mikasa was at least a year older than Eren. Are they trying to make a romance subplot out of this? And I'm curious about their ages, too. They look around 13 when the first titan attack came. So they're around 18 now? Mikasa sure looks it; not Eren, though.

They are 15 now, I believe they were near 10 when that flashback happened, I think 12 with the first titan attack.
May 11, 2013 3:39 PM

May 2012
Armin is just ugh... Annoying kid but, so far I guess I've gotten used to those epic cliffhangers and this didn't have one. also didn't really feel anything watching the episode.
Guess it was darkest episode so far though.
May 11, 2013 3:50 PM

Aug 2010
Amarrez said:

Oh no, I'm going to be late to Eoten Elementary!

Best.pic.Ever.
busted out laughing when I saw that thing turn the corner and run.

Eren was a fucking badass as a child.
Wonder how Mikasa is going to act next episode.
May 11, 2013 3:53 PM

May 2011
Awesome episode. Mikasa centered ep was just what I wanted. c:
The flashback was quite surprising, I was never expecting Mikasa`s and Eren`s roles to be so reversed in the past. I really liked it.

But I still have to wonder... did Eren die after all, or not? I`m kind of hoping he did-- as strange as killing off the MC would be, ut`d also be really awesome and fresh. And it would also mean more Mikasa. <3

But who am I kidding, there`s no way they`d actually kill him off after all that character development. It`s kind of a shame, really. :D
VokocaMay 11, 2013 4:28 PM
May 11, 2013 3:55 PM
Mar 2012
May 11, 2013 3:56 PM

Jul 2010
I can't imagine how will Mikasa's reaction look after hearing Eren is dead.Though im guessing she wont believe or just deny the truth and look for him.Anyways, really sick episode, props for Eren for being a real badass.5/5 as always.
May 11, 2013 3:58 PM

Apr 2013
surreal_ said:
badumtssss
May 11, 2013 4:00 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I still can't get over Eren's badassery. This is why he's one of my favorite characters. Mikasa and her two kills in this episode was awesome as well. It is a little sad that things were censored, but we still see plenty of blood. I agree with some people that it had more impact in the manga seeing explicitly that Franz only had the upper part of his body left. Overall, loved the flashback and Mikasa's realizing that the world is a cruel and unfair place. That last part was really touching, the way Eren wrapper the scarf (messily lol) around Mikasa and tugged her, saying that they'll be going back to their home. ;_;
May 11, 2013 4:03 PM

Aug 2011
Great adaption, though that they censored 2 parts that I was looking forward to was a minor disappointing. Otherwise it was faithful to the manga.

I'm glad they did her past this episode and not later in the anime, which would have been pretty off by this point now.

Oh my God the Franz and Hannah scene, I was kinda (I know, I'm a freak.) looking forward to see the whole shot where half of Franz's body was eaten off was censored to a different perspective of his body. Though the scene was pretty sad enough.

Misaka owning some Titans, damn. Loved it. Especially after having seen Eren failing in the episode prior to this.

Next episode... I already have an idea what the next cliffhanger might be. Oh. My. God!

May 11, 2013 4:06 PM

Apr 2010
IntroverTurtle said:
itsvero said:

They are 15 now, I believe they were near 10 when that flashback happened, I think 12 with the first titan attack.

They were 10 when the first titan attacked, 12 when they started training, 15 now. Supposed to be around 9 in Mikasa's flashback I think.
May 11, 2013 4:11 PM

Mar 2012
Armin is too much of a coward. I can't stand him at all. The emotional impact is still as strong as ever. The girl trying to resuscitate a guy missing half his body, and Mikasa watching her mom get axed down in front of her. Even at this point though I'm not sure whether Mikasa has romantic feelings for or just sibling attachment to Eren.
May 11, 2013 4:13 PM

May 2013
surreal_ said:

It now makes sense
May 11, 2013 4:14 PM

Mar 2012
Holy crap, that abnormal type Titan just looked extra freaky solely because of the way it was running.

This episode was pretty amazing. It was kind of shocking to see two kids, mostly Eren, stabbing the kidnappers, but we got to see some great character development, and now we've been given a glimpse of some of Eren's strength, since he's mostly been shown to be impulsive and kind of incompetent so far (not that it's been a bad thing... more room for character growth).

I have to say, though, Eren kind of reminds me of Kiritsugu from F/Z.
nauticalblueMay 11, 2013 4:18 PM
May 11, 2013 4:14 PM

Jul 2012
This was a good episode!!!!
May 11, 2013 4:16 PM
Nov 2012
great episode

i wont complain about the censored parts

it's shounen after all
May 11, 2013 4:16 PM

Apr 2013
wow this episode explains so much! its starting to get darker and darker >.< wonder how erens going to get out of the titan! blah waiting a week is so long! i would read the manga but i dont wanna spoil myself
May 11, 2013 4:17 PM

Oct 2008
Anyway, Mikasa's backstory is just about my favorite thing about her and the whole "this world is full of cruelty thing" really hit me in the kokoro and she's been chaining her emotions ever since. Ahhf uihskd Mikasa you bamf ily.

AND SHE STILL HAS EREN'S SCARF EXCUSE ME WHILE I SOB

Mod Edit: Removed quote of a deleted post.
LunaMay 12, 2013 1:29 AM
May 11, 2013 4:19 PM

May 2012
Kratos_Ortega said:

this titan very erotic.. :D

May 11, 2013 4:24 PM
Oct 2010
lol eren is a sociopath, should've blasted metallica's no remorse on headphones while doing those guys in or something, jesus christ, i seriously and wholeheartly believe something is off with him for offing those guys so casually and tagging them ''rabid dogs'', not that they didn't deserve it though, still that's realy wierd.
May 11, 2013 4:25 PM

May 2012
My God! Mikasa owns on so many levels!
"No matter how much of a genius one is, in front of the Uchiha name, they're just ordinary people." - Sasuke Uchiha

May 11, 2013 4:27 PM
Apr 2013
This happens once in the blue moon.
The anime improved upon the original source.
And you people who dislike this "flashback" (even if it was a whole new scene that is essential to the story) are idiots. No anime/book/movie can truly be good if it doesnt have story, it can't be non-stop titan killing.
May 11, 2013 4:29 PM
Jan 2013
The animation seemed kind of funky in places towards the beginning. I've read the manga, so I know what's going to happen, and even still I was really looking forward to this week even though it didn't really progress the plot. I was hoping they'd include that bit with Hannah in the beginning because it was really shocking when I read it, but it didn't have the same visual impact. I'm getting a sense that (even though it's still pretty gory) the gore is being toned down.
Anyhoo soooo excited for next week! Can't wait to see how they animate the next few chapters aka more spiderman, 3dm gear animation (especially looking forward to some of the later arcs)
May 11, 2013 4:30 PM

May 2013
good that we learned about misaka's past and how her parents died. good episode overall.
May 11, 2013 4:34 PM

Nov 2012
Damn Eren is a crazy mother fucker. And What the fuck is up with mikasa's strength? When she got ready to kill she crushed the floor beneath her feet and broke the wooden hilt of the knife. Is she half titan or what?
May 11, 2013 4:36 PM

Apr 2013
It annoys me how "PERFECT" Misaka is, overall the episode didn't give anything but a flashback. Can't wait for next weeks episode!!!!!
May 11, 2013 4:36 PM

Jul 2012
Wooo weee they killed people early on. Does Mikasa has some superhuman power or something? Or maybe those were just some really terrible floorboards.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

May 11, 2013 4:43 PM

Jul 2009
dhchen said:
Eren and Mikasa are both badass. Very cold. Well adaption of the manga.

except replacing mikasa's "family sign" with embroidery
May 11, 2013 4:45 PM

Dec 2012
That scene where eren was telling mikasa to fight was dumb.
"if you don't fight you won't win" No shit, sherlock. And then the bad guy, hearing this exchange and knowing there's a knife on the floor behind him, just lets mikasa stab him. And eren coherently talked while being strangled to death. And mikasa broke floorboards despite being like 10.
PolyphemusMay 11, 2013 4:50 PM
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
May 11, 2013 4:47 PM

Nov 2012
Lol dont tell me while eren is inside the Titan, the Titan will teleport back to his world and that is where eren will get out and find out everything about the Titans and learn how to kill them, then come back and saves the word XD
Pages (20) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1656 by ExecrableDan »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

247Eyes - Jul 13, 2013

546 by LT637_Anime »»
Jun 1, 7:44 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2013

1555 by flimmyjimmy »»
May 19, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2013

921 by _akshatts_ »»
May 12, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2013

991 by kzen_sno »»
May 10, 10:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.