Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 16, 2023 7:59 PM

Oct 2022
From the moment we first laid eyes on Ah-Duo I always wondered why does she look so much like Jinshi, guess now we have our answer.
Dec 16, 2023 8:16 PM
Feb 2015
A bit confusing about swapped their son , then where is the empress and Concubine Ah duo son? Isn't the emperor didn't have a son.
Dec 16, 2023 8:30 PM

Jul 2021
It was a good episode, as usual, Jinshi being Ah Duo's son is unexpected. I wonder when the mystery around Maomao's birth will be solved.
“There are only two types of people in the world--those who became otaku and those who didn't--and the latter just can't understand what the former is so excited about."--Ono Norihiro

Dec 16, 2023 8:34 PM

Dec 2022
And the plot thickens. Great episode again.
Dec 16, 2023 8:59 PM

Mar 2021
I knew right away that A Duo and Jinshi were related, but I thought as distant siblings or cousins or something. What's up with everyone giving birth as teenagers? Also, Jinshi is only 16?? For some reason I thought he was, like, 18-20. :P

Also, Maomao's winter outfit is very cute ^^
Dec 16, 2023 9:31 PM

May 2015
Very good episode, but to tell the truth I started loosing the thread. All along I thought that Jinshi was the emperor's brother and the story about him being ill was just a facade. I had to rack my brain really hard to realise that if Jinshi is Ah-Duo's son then he is the son of the current emperor too, but in that case he can't be an eunuch. If that is the case and Maomao has realized that then why does she still think of or refer to him as an eunuch (see the title of the next episode)?? If he was really a swapped child, who was reared as the empress-dowager's son, then as far as the world concerned he is the younger brother of the current emperor, but then why would they treat him as a high-ranking eunuch and hide his "true" identity? What is going on here?
IshitatesoDec 16, 2023 9:46 PM
Dec 16, 2023 9:32 PM

Oct 2022
What a cinematic masterpiece this turned out to be; dark clouds on the horizon, intricate stories that intertwine into both the future and the past.

Dec 16, 2023 9:37 PM
Sep 2016
And that's why Kusuriya no Hitorigoto fans all loved Ah-Duo.... She's just so f*ing cool and awesome.... Maybe not as everyones favorite, but she's definitely way high up there....

Ngl, I didn't remember much of Ah-Duo's story from the LN and manga, so I forgot about
. For all I remember,
was always

Next EP...
I guess.... I do remember Maomao was
. It's just a matter of I don't really remember the exact chronological order of the stories. Of which stories came before the others.
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Dec 16, 2023 9:48 PM
Sep 2021
As an anime only, I love how it unexpectedly unveil mysteries in the suicide case. Wow
Dec 16, 2023 9:49 PM

Nov 2022
The guilt someone would feel from causing misfortune to others due to ignorance is terrifying.
Dec 16, 2023 10:08 PM

Oct 2022
Hmmm ... what will happen to Maomao?
Because all of those transactions that Fengming's family done would be ineffective.

Dec 16, 2023 10:25 PM
Nov 2014
So confused by this story arc, but love the complexity and how captivating it is to follow
Dec 16, 2023 11:01 PM

Oct 2020
Things is getting interesting.
Dec 17, 2023 12:10 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Ishitateso
Very good episode, but to tell the truth I started loosing the thread. All along I thought that Jinshi was the emperor's brother and the story about him being ill was just a facade. I had to rack my brain really hard to realise that if Jinshi is Ah-Duo's son then he is the son of the current emperor too, but in that case he can't be an eunuch. If that is the case and Maomao has realized that then why does she still think of or refer to him as an eunuch (see the title of the next episode)?? If he was really a swapped child, who was reared as the empress-dowager's son, then as far as the world concerned he is the younger brother of the current emperor, but then why would they treat him as a high-ranking eunuch and hide his "true" identity? What is going on here?
@Ishitateso I'm also pretty confused, but I think the mystery of who Jinshi really is and why he is hiding his identity will be a long-term plot point, so we'll have to wait and see. I'm guessing it'll have something to do with how important it is for a woman to have a male child and how brutal palace politics can get, when everyone is being watched and no one can be trusted.

As for Maomao, she has only just begun to suspect Jinshi to be Ah-Duo's son, so I don't think she figured out the details either. She even dismisses her own theory as "delusional", so Jinshi will continue to be a eunuch for now, as far as she's concerned. She does seem to think that Ah-Duo could have given up her baby willingly, which is understandable after seeing so many women make huge sacrifices and do horrible things to protect the people they love.

As for the title of the next episode, "The Eunuch and the Courtesan", it may simply be referring to Jinshi's public identity, not his real one. It's also possible that it's referring to someone else entirely; Maomao is not a courtesan either after all.
Dec 17, 2023 12:45 AM

Jun 2017
The thing about the one doctor is that the palace can definitely afford a few more doctors, but, as it will be pointed out a little down the road, only men can be doctors. Since men cannot enter the rear palace without becoming an eunuch, many would not really choose this path. Therefore the pool to select from is already pretty bad. You may not get the bottom of the barrel, but the best and brightest aren't going to come.

So either you stop the eunuch thing or you allow women to be doctors too.

Despite so many differences, this story shares a few elements with Saiunkoku Monogatari.
Dec 17, 2023 12:49 AM

Dec 2022
So many stories untold! I'm excited for the next episode.
Dec 17, 2023 12:53 AM
Jul 2018
BEST ANIME OF THE SEASON
Dec 17, 2023 1:29 AM
Jan 2019
Yeah… If you think about it, Ah Duo and Jinshi looks similiar, no… They look like the exact same copy. It’s almost like… they are related. I don’t know if the Monologue of Maomao is true or not but that seems interesting.
Dec 17, 2023 1:30 AM

Oct 2022
Ah-duo deserves more than an emperor who sees you as a baby machine.. I hope we can still see her, or atleast Lishu can still see her.. Lishu saying goodbye to her makes me emotional.
UndefeatedBahamut
Dec 17, 2023 1:33 AM

Dec 2022
As much as I would like to sympathize with Fengming, she did try to kill Lishu. However the pain and guilt she must’ve felt knowing that she accidentally killed the son (?) of the person she admired the most had to be unbearable. Looking her in the face everyday. Feels bad man.
Dec 17, 2023 2:48 AM

Mar 2011
A lot to process. Overall a great episode with much background and some speculations. It's really getting interesting to see how all of this is tied together. However, Maomao's confrontation of Fengming was a little bit underwhelming and I have a little problem with the conclusion. And I'm well aware there are facts yet unknown but I'm not entirely sure if I like how this case was handled and that the maid who committed suicide for Lady Ah Duo's sake was brushed off so easily as if it was nothing. And even with Maomao not knowing all the facts I think it's wrong of her to make Fengmei an offer to disclose some information for what reason? Ah Duo's sake? Even if there's more to it that feels wrong. And I love Maomao's character but that's wrong.

I really felt the scene when Jinshi cried. I wasn#t so happy it happened while he was drunk but it really goes to show this is a story that unfolds gradually. Not saying I like all the choices they make but it's different from usual and not necessarily in a bad way.

It's a little weird to me how Maomao's thought process works. But maybe that's just me and the fact that while she is a great main character there's something that always makes the events happening to her and surrounding her feel distant. I can't really put my finger on it.
You're the light shining over The black and gloomy nights
So long I've been waiting To run into your arms
Oh, my only one desire You're the one I need
Through the thousand years ~ Evermore

"Midnight Sun" by AleXa

Dec 17, 2023 3:16 AM

May 2015
Reply to perseii
@Ishitateso I'm also pretty confused, but I think the mystery of who Jinshi really is and why he is hiding his identity will be a long-term plot point, so we'll have to wait and see. I'm guessing it'll have something to do with how important it is for a woman to have a male child and how brutal palace politics can get, when everyone is being watched and no one can be trusted.

As for Maomao, she has only just begun to suspect Jinshi to be Ah-Duo's son, so I don't think she figured out the details either. She even dismisses her own theory as "delusional", so Jinshi will continue to be a eunuch for now, as far as she's concerned. She does seem to think that Ah-Duo could have given up her baby willingly, which is understandable after seeing so many women make huge sacrifices and do horrible things to protect the people they love.

As for the title of the next episode, "The Eunuch and the Courtesan", it may simply be referring to Jinshi's public identity, not his real one. It's also possible that it's referring to someone else entirely; Maomao is not a courtesan either after all.
@perseii At this stage of the story it is still possible to think up pretty wild theories about who is who in this tale. After this episode my current pet theory is that the empress-dowager gave birth to a girl, but if that had been announced officially that would have greatly weakened her position in the court. After she got wind of that the other concubine Ah-Duo had given birth to a healthy boy she offered a noname boy to her in exchange for her child while the girl was given to the court-doctor to get rid of her. It is even possible that Ah-Duo gave birth to twins and only one of them were taken from her and the other boy who died was her child as well (that would explain why she was so out of her mind with grief after the boy's death). Whatever is the truth we can be pretty sure that Maomao is not the noname commoner as this story has been trying to sell her until now.
IshitatesoDec 17, 2023 8:50 AM
Dec 17, 2023 4:33 AM
Apr 2017
Reply to ApocalypSnow
I knew right away that A Duo and Jinshi were related, but I thought as distant siblings or cousins or something. What's up with everyone giving birth as teenagers? Also, Jinshi is only 16?? For some reason I thought he was, like, 18-20. :P

@ApocalypSnow Welcome to China imperial age, where the previous Emperor was
Dec 17, 2023 4:38 AM
Apr 2017
Reply to vadoyager7
Ah-duo deserves more than an emperor who sees you as a baby machine.. I hope we can still see her, or atleast Lishu can still see her.. Lishu saying goodbye to her makes me emotional.
@vadoyager7 Sorry but
Dec 17, 2023 4:51 AM
Apr 2017
Reply to Ishitateso
@perseii At this stage of the story it is still possible to think up pretty wild theories about who is who in this tale. After this episode my current pet theory is that the empress-dowager gave birth to a girl, but if that had been announced officially that would have greatly weakened her position in the court. After she got wind of that the other concubine Ah-Duo had given birth to a healthy boy she offered a noname boy to her in exchange for her child while the girl was given to the court-doctor to get rid of her. It is even possible that Ah-Duo gave birth to twins and only one of them were taken from her and the other boy who died was her child as well (that would explain why she was so out of her mind with grief after the boy's death). Whatever is the truth we can be pretty sure that Maomao is not the noname commoner as this story has been trying to sell her until now.
@Ishitateso Oh boy oh boy... The revelation that you're about to experience about all the dramas surrounding Jinshi and Maomao's birth lmao.

There are many subtle hints about certain things all throughout the anime up until now that when you carefully combine them together you can actually comes up with the factual answers.

Such as:
Dec 17, 2023 5:37 AM

Jan 2019
So Jinshi is Ah-Duo's son but was swapped so poses as the current emperor's younger brother. I still think Maomao is gonna end up being another royal baby, all this baby swapping while her father was the royal doctor is too suspicious for that not to come up later.

I was half-expecting Maomao to notice Jinshi isn't actually a eunuch when they were hugging, but alas it isn't so.

Dec 17, 2023 5:58 AM

Oct 2022
Wondering on what Maomao's father will tell if ever she goes back and ask about the rear palace, there's a lot that can be uncovered which may be a bigger issue or a plot twist it. Excited for the next episode!
Dec 17, 2023 6:31 AM

Dec 2022
I love this one. Insane ep as usual and such a great one a that!
Those 12 seconds at the end showed Maomao at a party dressed well (with Jinshi).

Dec 17, 2023 6:40 AM

May 2015
Having a dead child is one of the saddest thing that could happen in your life.
Dec 17, 2023 6:40 AM
Apr 2019
Reply to KANLen09
Maomao onto the Garnet Pavilion to talk with Lady Fengming, clearly the movement of Concubine Ah-Duo is seen as a lucrative measure since the birth from the Empress Dowager happened at the same time, which was given much priority, that the procedure ended up in Maomao's father's hands. The culprit being of flowers being fed to a newborn that Fengming knew had poison from the nectar, this was all constructed through Lishu telling her the truth about Ah-Duo's baby's death since she had honey before. It was an intricate plot to remove all of the detractors, that even to Maomao, would not reinstate her father. To this that Ah-Duo faced reality about her one and only newborn, Fengming felt that she had bore a burden all this time, and Maomao had a suggestion to converge her motives together that while the results will not change, it at least spared her the dignity of Ah-Duo staying as one of the 4 concubines in the rear palace.

Alas, Ah-Duo has already been set to leave the rear palace on the emperor's orders with Fengming turning herself in to be executed. The last night of a drink together with said concubine, she may already have her fate written on the wall as Fengming shows that she's one to sacrifice for the servant she worked so hard for. Aside from Jinshi's drunken hug to Maomao after a drink with Ah-Duo, they look so similar that Maomao speculated that Ah-Duo had this planned out for so long, that it even does not matter if they were swapped at birth.

It's sad to see Ah-Duo leave the rear palace being a dignified mother. But aside from that intricate link between Ah-Duo and Jinshi, who really knows? The truth shall come to light in the future.
@KANLen09 What was it that Maomao suggested? For Fengming to confess to her crimes? So if she doesn't confess, then Maomao will report her, which ends up in the same results? Is that what it means?
Dec 17, 2023 6:56 AM

Nov 2022
I am legit enamored by Ah-Duo. She's just something else.
Dec 17, 2023 7:10 AM

Oct 2022
I might just be overthinking this out of nowhere, and I hope I do, but there's a chance that Maomao gets either chosen to be a concubine after her family ties are known, or she gets sentenced to die for some reason and Jinshi has to reveal that he's actually the son of the emperor in order to either claim Maomao as his concubine instead or in order to try and cancel her execution. At least that's what all this is hinting towards, hope it's something else.
Dec 17, 2023 7:10 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to Supremestrawhat
It was a good episode, as usual, Jinshi being Ah Duo's son is unexpected. I wonder when the mystery around Maomao's birth will be solved.
@Supremestrawhat in the second half of the season.
Dec 17, 2023 7:14 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to ApocalypSnow

@ApocalypSnow he is 18. They said the child was born 17 years ago last episode and died a year later, but it is some odd thing withbchinese counting. It is in fact 18+ years ago.
Dec 17, 2023 7:23 AM
Aug 2021
The plot thickens so much these few episodes~ I love how the linkage between past cases has finally been revealed and why Jinshi was so interested about it. As someone who haven't read the original source, it's quite intriguing to figure out the past.

So the potential of Jinshi's origin going from the Emperor's brother to his son was quite a surprise. I feel bad for the concubine for all she has to endure, from seperation and potential guilt of the baby boy's death, to her staff sacrifing their lives like that. These backstories went even deeper than expect.
Dec 17, 2023 7:29 AM

Jul 2016
Maomao being such a realist that she rationalized letting Jinshi hug her as thanks for cushioning her fall was gold lmao.

I'm sure a part of both Jinshi and Ah Duo were aware of their similarities and just chose to never address it, making the whole thing all the more bittersweet.
Dec 17, 2023 8:31 AM

Aug 2010
Reply to RaidenYatta
lmao someone is writing very huge spoiler from manga

oh well at least some people can guess it too after this episode, or maybe since episode 1

episode 12 beyond will be interesting, wonder how well they will animate the story

Anyway if youre curious and want to read the manga, this episode 11 is chapter 18
Episode 12 is chapter 19 onwards
@RaidenYatta thanks for the info. :D
Dec 17, 2023 8:44 AM

Dec 2022
Those clouds are a hint that a very sad/happy moment is coming, and little by little we getting closer to Maomao dark past.
Dec 17, 2023 8:50 AM

Jun 2016
omg so much happened in this episode !!!

and with that delusional mao2 it might be that just happen !!

the story of this show is awesomely good !!
Dec 17, 2023 9:05 AM
Dec 2022
Nachtwandler_21 said:
@Asukadesuuuu dude, stop posting random spoilers. You do not know how correct thay are and there are a lot of people here who do not want any spoilers. At least put a spoiler tag.

that's not a spoiler
The only thing it says is that her theory is contradictory
Maomao said noth of the things in ep 11
baby was poisoned and died
and again emperor's younger brother is weak

these 2 r contradictory lines, which are told already in ep 11 and the same thing is written in About character in internet
Dec 17, 2023 9:09 AM
Dec 2022
RaidenYatta said:
lmao someone is writing very huge spoiler from manga

oh well at least some people can guess it too after this episode, or maybe since episode 1

episode 12 beyond will be interesting, wonder how well they will animate the story

Anyway if youre curious and want to read the manga, this episode 11 is chapter 18
Episode 12 is chapter 19 onwards

dude what's laughable is only that name Kai Zuigetsu is somewhat a spoiler and idk how a name cam be a spoiler when its not relevant here

the lines emperor's younger brother is weak or the dowager's swapped child is ded are contradictory, those limes said by maomao inep11 , I am just pointing it out with valid lines in internet smh, 😭 what did i even spoil
Dec 17, 2023 9:17 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to Asukadesuuuu
Nachtwandler_21 said:
@Asukadesuuuu dude, stop posting random spoilers. You do not know how correct thay are and there are a lot of people here who do not want any spoilers. At least put a spoiler tag.

that's not a spoiler
The only thing it says is that her theory is contradictory
Maomao said noth of the things in ep 11
baby was poisoned and died
and again emperor's younger brother is weak

these 2 r contradictory lines, which are told already in ep 11 and the same thing is written in About character in internet
@Asukadesuuuu you literarly quoted a bunch of explicit spoilers googled in internet in previous couple of posts.
Dec 17, 2023 9:54 AM
Sep 2021
Maomao solved the case very well & the hypothesis she made was really on point in the last of the episode.
Dec 17, 2023 11:37 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Best episode so far. Very good ending, sweet.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Dec 17, 2023 12:48 PM
May 2023
New to me and i love it
Dec 17, 2023 7:14 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to Homura24
so ah duo is jinshi's mother???
Homura24 said:
so ah duo is jinshi's mother???

When Jinshi met Ah Duo I thought they were going to sleep together, but she kicked him out. It makes sense if she was his mother. She just wanted to have a drink with her son before she left the rear palace. He probably doesn't know that she could be his mother. (I am anime only so this is all speculation).
Dec 17, 2023 8:02 PM
Jul 2017
YO WHAT JUST HAPPENED THIS EP, this was a wild ride of an ep
Dec 17, 2023 11:06 PM
Oct 2019
Confrontation with Fengming was intense af, Maomao even prepared to be stabbed.

Now we know why Ah-Duo looks so much like Jinshi.
Dec 18, 2023 12:13 AM
Apr 2021
Embient said:
Just wish that Ah-Duo learned the truth about her "son's" death in the end.

But Ah-Duo found out about it when she overheard Maomao and Fengming's conversation.
Dec 18, 2023 1:26 AM
Apr 2021
animejas said:
whether it is the powder from the early episodes

Wait, there will be more to come back to the powder.
fathandz said:
hope it's something else.

Something else)
TobimarooDec 18, 2023 2:58 AM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» So simple question...

ANIk_003 - Yesterday

20 by Phloup »»
Yesterday, 6:25 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

262 by ksipe »»
May 30, 12:26 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 28, 2023

204 by wumuti »»
May 26, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

209 by wumuti »»
May 26, 7:30 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

118 by wumuti »»
May 26, 7:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.