Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 2, 2012 6:21 AM

Jan 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Didn't watch this as a child so can't really tell how it aged, I liked it a lot, thinking 8 / 10 (Very Good)

Strong points:
- 80-90% of the show is battling, no attempts to have a complex plot that fail
- Besides having so much battle, every battle takes a short time to end, no 9 episode battles like various Battle Shounen like to do
- Incredible filler material, doesn't try to go beyond the scope of the source

Some of the bad stuff:
- The distribution of fights per Bronze Saints feels uneven at certain parts of the story, sometimes Seiya gets too many action while the others are benched, I felt this with Ikki in particular
- Too many near death experiences
- The moveset of the Saints is limited (I don't mind this one but I know it's a gripe with some)

Having said that, my favorites where Cygnus Hyoga and Phoenix Ikki, Hyoga has the coolest attacks and Ikki is just a badass
Dec 2, 2012 1:27 PM

Apr 2011
I watched this as a kid (my first official anime, to be precise), and is one of my favorites, so... I'm happy to see that people apreciate it now n_n.
As for what you say, I agree, short battles and decent filler are pretty neat stuff that nowdays shonens don't have (the Asgard saga was bland, but it was way better than anything Naruto or Rurouni Kenshin had).
Seiya was the protagonist, so he does have a bit much of time screen... but not that much. Lets put the Sanctuary arc as an example:
01: No figth
02: Seiya vs Aldebaran (and later, Hyoga, Shun and Shiryu vs Aldebaran)
03: Shun vs Saga
04: Shiryu vs Deathmask
05: Seiya vs Aioria
06: Ikki vs Shaka (one of the most badass fights in the series, btw)
07: No fight (there was some... ehmmm... you know...)
08: Hyoga vs Milo
09: No fight
10: Shiryu vs Shura
11: Hyoga vs Camus
12: Shun vs Aphrodita
Pope temple: Seiya and Ikki vs Saga
So, pretty even, don't ya think? Ikki tends to appear less cause he's kind of the sixth ranger, the loner, or whatever.

About the limited moveset.. thats kind of right: they don't learn new abilities n_n
Dec 10, 2012 1:50 PM

Jan 2012
I don't remember all the fights but it seems it was balanced, it just feels like it isn't, granted I like Ikki the best so I was always waiting for him to appear
Jan 13, 2014 4:41 PM

Jun 2008
Well it is viewable despite it's age but unfortunately now our days we need slightly more variety and essence to be satisfied. The repetitiveness got a little tiring and the cliche shounen protagonist getting up no matter how hurt or overpowered he is, is being stretched to the absolute max in this anime.
The plot is also quite thin.
Anyway in general it was decent enough considering how old it is. I bet watching this as a kid at that time would have been godly but now is just a cliche shounen.
May 13, 2014 5:02 AM

Jun 2012
Well at least they have gold cloths now, but I swear to zeus if hades gets sealed like Poseidon did Ima explode.
Jul 30, 2014 11:45 AM

Jun 2013
Well, that was... ok. Very limited /repetitive but i was expecting it due to it's age. Nostalgia and some nice cloth (armor) design saved it from a negative classification. 6/10
nicotrelJul 30, 2014 11:50 AM
Sep 13, 2014 3:01 AM
May 2013
Monad said:
Well it is viewable despite it's age but unfortunately now our days we need slightly more variety and essence to be satisfied. The repetitiveness got a little tiring and the cliche shounen protagonist getting up no matter how hurt or overpowered he is, is being stretched to the absolute max in this anime.
The plot is also quite thin.
Anyway in general it was decent enough considering how old it is. I bet watching this as a kid at that time would have been godly but now is just a cliche shounen.
Pretty much this ^

I would've like more this if was more like DBZ :
bronze cloth->gold cloth
enemies become allies

I hated how bronze saints remained alive after battles and how their enemy got insta killed by 1 punch .

This was a perfect example of typical shounen .
Mar 26, 2015 11:14 PM

Dec 2012
I ruined my childhood watching this. 6/10
Mar 5, 2016 8:16 PM

May 2009
Since this was from the 80s, it's understandable why it wasn't so "awesome" as modern shounen shows are today, but it didn't disappoint me as much as I thought when I first watched it. I give it 7/10 :)
Nov 24, 2017 6:16 PM

Dec 2016
I gave a 7 to Saint Seiya when I watched it for the first time but after some time I had to change it to 8. Cheesiness and inconsistencies aside, the world building and use of mythology and constellations in this anime is so well made that I had to rate it higher.

Now, if you reached this point you can't stop before finishing the series. The next arc was made in the 2000s, so you will see a big improvement in the animation and it is the best arc yet. I can't stress how good it is (in comparison with what you saw so far). The plot is very different. Watch these Hades OVAs! Part 1 has 13 episodes, part 2 has 12 and part 3 has 6. Kurumada released this arc a long time ago but due to fights between him and the studio it took a long time to be animated. Totally worth watching though. They did an amazing job. Part 1 is the peak of the series in my opinion.

Part 1 from 2002: https://myanimelist.net/anime/1257/Saint_Seiya__Meiou_Hades_Juuni_Kyuu-hen

Part 2 from 2005: https://myanimelist.net/anime/1253/Saint_Seiya__Meiou_Hades_Meikai-hen

Part 3 from 2008: https://myanimelist.net/anime/3515/Saint_Seiya__Meiou_Hades_Elysion-hen
SparkyonNov 13, 2018 5:09 AM
Dec 7, 2017 10:55 PM
Apr 2017
My final thoughts:
This anime didn't age well
It would be better if it ended on the golden saints saga
Mar 31, 2018 12:38 PM

Dec 2015
Overall:
Superb music, interesting use of greek mythology mixed with other concepts and a lot of charismatic characters in all camps.
Toru Furuya voicing the eponymous protagonist is also a bonus (for me at least). There are some other memorable voices (Aiolia, Saori, etc).
This adaptation could have raised above the manga thanks to its sound and its direction (who pretty much "cancels" the lack of animation and improves Kurumada's impatcful but poor directing)

Score: 6/10

Sparkyon said:
Kurumada released this arc a long time ago but due to fights between him and the studio it took a long time to be animated.

Fights between Kurumada and TOEI? o_O Wasn't this simply due to the melting audience of the TV show in parallel to the manga's cancellation? (at least, that's the commonly accepted version)
Rei_IIIJan 4, 2019 5:06 AM
Nov 21, 2018 3:17 PM

Jun 2016
I do see many problems with Saint Seiya. It is hard to brush the fact that a near identical plot was done three times in a row breaking the great variety from the first part. However, despite the problems, the strengths are so high in my mind.

First, let's speak on how this part ended and this part overall. While I did take a big break in the middle of this arc making me fuzzy on all the details, I really did like it after the rushed start. It was a good way to showcase our saints development in their strength and cosmos and characters. Not only that but it was fast paced and it went in unpredictable directions while hosting some cool fights, I specifically really loved Isaac and Kirshna's fights. Others served their purposes well. And notably Siren and Kanon were awesome deviations from the expected structure! Siren's suspicions were confirmed, and even though he didn't want to help the bronze saints he helped them due to a common enemy, Kanon, who tricked him. That meaning the ideals he so adamantly stood for were false, and the fact that he had felt Athena's cosmos burn this long realizing she may actually give him the perfect world he wants, and further similar to a Shiryu vs Shura type deal he saw the resolve Shun had and with all of that he turned on Kanon and helped the bronze saints. That ended up preventing Kanon and Siren from having real fights and I loved that, seriously!

The way Ikki told Kanon that he wasn't even worth fighting, refusing to even fight such a pathetic man, and later how Siren too left him alone telling him Ikki was right and he was worthless was so powerful. If you think about it Kanon was the real villain of this arc, sure the final one was Poseidon, but without Kanon this wouldn't have happened. And, he was betrayed, called pathetic, and wasn't even fought because he wasn't worth the time.
And later he even faced the incoming waves from the crashing ocean alone... He wasn't as deep or interesting as Saga, and I admit Julian was being manipulated by Kanon making him less intriguing than he otherwise could have been, and Poseidon was almost a personality-less evil obstacle to make for a genuine final fight, but despite the villains being less than stellar compared to Asgard and the Gold Saint battles, Kanon was still a treat to watch. Especially when it came to him showing his humanity, and hubris. He was so quick to jump from emotions of over confidence, to nervousness, to fear. He was a man who lived in the shadow of Saga, who refused to accept the existence of the goddess Athena who saved him numerous times, and who was in it for his own self interest. He was a sad, and pathetic man who weaseled his way into the marine shoguns and lost. He was exposed and left aside as nothing but a pebble that triggered everything else. He never got out of Saga's shadow and he never proved himself because he was pathetic and he was exposed as such. For that, even though as a character he wasn't excellent depth wise, he was fascinating due to his role in the story and the humanizing aspects about him!
If anyone here has watched One Piece, Kanon is exactly what I wish Spandam became. :D

Siren and Kanon were both awesome characters that deviated from the expected structure and the other opponents seemed to be more about showing how the Saints have changed rather than focusing on the opponents themselves, Baian being an obvious contender. But, that's okay, it made this arc exciting!

Further, the final fight with Poseidon was awesome! The way the Saints combined their cosmos to stun Poseidon, and how Ikki and Shun delayed him as long as possible, with the saints launching Seiya into the pillar of life with all their cosmos pouring into him, and finally how it lead to the god vs goddess confrontation was the great cheesiness I love. It wasn't everything I'd want from Saint Seiya, as if it was, Poseidon would have been explored far more and his ideals would clash with the Saints, yet in every other way it's all I wanted so there isn't much disappointment there. Seiya comes out carrying Athena and we get a very similar confrontation between her and Poseidon as the one she had with Saga. They clash and she tells him that he only understands evil and power but those will never live up to the spirit of the saints. For all cosmos really is, is love, hope, and spirit. It's justice symbolically wrapped up in power levels. It's good vs evil. And she says it exactly how it is. It is the love for the world and its people that allows them to persevere and cause miracles. MAFUBA!!!

It was only when Poseidon spouted, BUT THEY ARE MERE HUMANS AND I AM A GOD, that I had deja vu. I've seen this episode before! I had wondered how the saints would defeat a god and uhh, well, I'll just say we've heard that line in many different ways before, "but I'm a gold/silver saint and they are a bronze!", that said, it was mainly Athena who sealed Poseidon, the other saints combined with her to make it happen, but it was mainly her. So, it isn't exactly comparable. I did love seeing the saints work so hard without her help to get her out of the pillar of life! Athena is so cool when she's confronting her foes head on. She's so kind too, telling Poseidon that right now he is not befitting for a god but implying when he realizes that love and hope are what is important she'll let him out. She even kept Kanon alive all this time in the hopes of that too as a baby.

I also want to mention the phenomenal song that played during the confrontation!

Saint Seiya has always had wonderful music but this song really made the final battle that much more special for me. It's so powerful and builds up so much until the vocals finally kick in perfectly for the battle. My jaw dropped listening to it.

Honestly... even though I criticize Poseidon for being pure evil, it is somehow fitting for the final confrontation to be pure good vs pure evil like it seemed to be!

As a cheesy, gar, over the top, virtuous journey with the excellent world building it had, especially in the Sanctuary arc, I have to say this was something special. This is, no matter how cheesy, my favorite analysis of justice I've seen. The heroes represent different sides of justice, self sacrifice, compassion, perseverance, etc, and when they all come together they truly form the ultimate cosmos, one of absolute justice. The virtues they show and the mission they fight for is always paired up with the opponents and it turns into a cheesy, awesome fight and clash of ideals, with the most virtuous and just coming out on top- by definition. It's good fun and it's inspirational. I still remember so much about SS looking back even after such big breaks. I particularly love Ikki's speech about never giving up hope to this day, because "even if all you do is but drops in the ocean, those drops would cease to exist otherwise, so fight"! And to this day one of my favorite shounen fights of all time, perhaps my favorite fight, is Shiryu vs Argol. It's so meticulous, each step matters while being concise and powerful. It was an episode that said more about Shiryu than words could ever tell. And, his blind arc of learning to fight regardless of the misery and hopelessness he felt is one of my favorites too. Shiryu is easily one of my favorite characters for all of that. I also adored the saints relationship with each other, their resolve to get what they had to do done no matter what, with absolute trust in each other. I earnestly feel the reason this show was so beloved was because it reflects the attributes we admire in ourselves and others everywhere. It uses the virtues and justice that we all believe in and uses it as the literal power level of the characters, but even then, it's never easy for them. It's a reminder to push on no matter what and stand up for what you believe in. Seiya is the best example of that I've ever seen, I still laugh remembering the Thor fight when he got beaten so freaking badly and he kept standing until he could win and make a miracle happen. Or think of this Poseidon fight, he shot arrow after arrow no matter how much it reflected and hurt him, no matter how impossible it seemed. Or during his fight with Aldeberan, he kept up with him until he could learn his attack enough to land a blow.

And I only briefly touched on the "villains" of Saint Seiya. They are some of my favorites of all time. They all have their own set of virtues, beliefs and ideals that they are willing to die for too. And they fight for them until their death, or they get convinced to change beliefs, often by the conviction of our saints. They were all so human and they made battles a dialogue between different views rather than a raw fight of power. None says it as clearly as Death Mask vs Old Master and Shiryu for the first time with their literal discussion of who the just one is in history. Shura realizes that Shiryu's conviction is even greater than his, the one who is said to be most loyal to Athena, so he sacrifices himself to make sure the truly just and loyal one stays alive to fight for her. Speaking of that fight it's also one of my all time favorites, so brutal! Siren being moved to help our saints this very arc is yet another great example. ^_^

The music and art are some of my favorite ever too. The Go Nagai and Fukumoto manga series have my favorite art styles, but Saint Seiya with its color scheme and look has to be in my top 3 as well. :) The animation is also incredible for me! I never cared about the fluidity of animation, I cared about the impact! And when people get hit in Saint Seiya you feel it! And when the stills come up to represent a blow they are so impactful. I think the animation is some of my favorite too, easily.

Even though the anime has some inconsistencies, and it's pacing can arguably be all over the place(just look at rushed openings to Asgard and Poseidon), and it repeats its plot structure three times in a row, and the story beats aren't very well tied together, even though characters like Shaina develop so much, I feel like the whole Seiya and Marin plot line was so stretched out and confusing. I'm sure if we look back we could find lots of loose ends and stuff that never comes back. Just remember the hilarious fight between Seiya and Shiryu in the tournament, if a saint dies you just have to hit him in the back just as hard as you hit him in the front to resurrect him! However, I find that kind of stuff absolutely charming myself.

So despite the glaring issues, I think this is something that will be hit or miss with people. If they love the cheesy old school battles of different justices, and the gar heroes who will kill themselves to get what they need done, and the shounen trust and love between them, and the whole plot armor that is integral to the point of the anime(justice always comes out on top), or the interesting use of mythology then this will be something great like it is for me. If they don't like that stuff, then I can see them really not liking Seiya. That said, I think the strengths outshine all the negative but I cannot overlook it at the same time.

I think the OVA's could be something really special and I'm excited to try them!

7/10
Dec 20, 2019 6:59 PM

Jul 2019
gfsdfgsdgsdfgs said:

The way Ikki told Kanon that he wasn't even worth fighting, refusing to even fight such a pathetic man, and later how Siren too left him alone telling him Ikki was right and he was worthless was so powerful. If you think about it Kanon was the real villain of this arc, sure the final one was Poseidon, but without Kanon this wouldn't have happened. And, he was betrayed, called pathetic, and wasn't even fought because he wasn't worth the time.
And later he even faced the incoming waves from the crashing ocean alone... He wasn't as deep or interesting as Saga, and I admit Julian was being manipulated by Kanon making him less intriguing than he otherwise could have been, and Poseidon was almost a personality-less evil obstacle to make for a genuine final fight, but despite the villains being less than stellar compared to Asgard and the Gold Saint battles, Kanon was still a treat to watch. Especially when it came to him showing his humanity, and hubris. He was so quick to jump from emotions of over confidence, to nervousness, to fear. He was a man who lived in the shadow of Saga, who refused to accept the existence of the goddess Athena who saved him numerous times, and who was in it for his own self interest. He was a sad, and pathetic man who weaseled his way into the marine shoguns and lost. He was exposed and left aside as nothing but a pebble that triggered everything else. He never got out of Saga's shadow and he never proved himself because he was pathetic and he was exposed as such. For that, even though as a character he wasn't excellent depth wise, he was fascinating due to his role in the story and the humanizing aspects about him!
If anyone here has watched One Piece, Kanon is exactly what I wish Spandam became. :D

Which is pretty meta, Kurumada was basically admitting this arc was a lesser copy of the previous one. Although Kanon got a more cliché ending in the manga, Toei did a great job improving the source material most of the times (not always though, for example they lessened the value of this Poseidon arc by making the Asgard one).

I loved your posts, btw.
Dec 27, 2020 9:01 PM

Aug 2016
SS aged like milk. why couldn´t this end with the semi-decent gold saints arc? super overrated, unlike sme other famous battle shonen that diD it way Better and saved the 80s.
:v
Dec 28, 2020 8:49 AM

Jul 2019
MichaelJackson said:
SS aged like milk. why couldn´t this end with the semi-decent gold saints arc? super overrated, unlike sme other famous battle shonen that diD it way Better and saved the 80s.

Just watch the next arc, bro.
Dec 28, 2020 4:13 PM

Aug 2016
BrumaHobo said:
MichaelJackson said:

Watched 2 episodes. Just as expected, more of the same.
MichaelJacksonDec 29, 2020 10:16 PM
:v
Dec 30, 2020 3:14 PM

Dec 2016
MichaelJackson said:
BrumaHobo said:

Watched 2 episodes. Just as expected, more of the same.

No it isn't. It's totally different from the past arcs and the gold saints are more prominent. The animation is also better because it was made 20 years after the original. The plot is much better. I will never understand people that watch the original and miss the best arc of the series (after episode 114).
Feb 6, 2021 4:04 AM

Dec 2016
MichaelJackson said:

it already has a stupid shit score in the site and all of the others, it's anything but overrated.
Jan 30, 2022 4:56 AM

Jun 2020
This was a decent anime considering the time at which it was produced. If they had refined the anime with less predictive sequences and repititiveness. I would have considered to be one of my favorites. But still, this anime had good range of fights and characters. And the animation during fighting scenes were always awesome to watch. Overall a 7/10 anime to me.
Jan 2, 2023 10:27 PM

Aug 2020
I thought it was okay overall, but it just felt tiring and repetitive by the end, especially after the 12 temples arc. I mostly felt that way because the characters just use the same 1-3 attacks in every fight with dialogue in-between about how strong they are (the way it just cuts to the same animation every time reminds me way too much of Sailor Moon). The art style change to make the characters skinnier after the sanctuary arc also wasn't doing the series any favours in my opinion, nor was the re-used formula of Athena being in danger and the Saints have to go through and defeat a bunch of enemies one at a time before facing the "big boss" at the end and saving the day. The power system also seemed a bit messed up because the silver saints (who were supposed to be very strong) ended up being beaten all the time by the supposedly inferior bronze saints (same with the gold saints struggling in 1-on-1 fights against the bronze saints). The fact that characters kept getting reived from "the brink of death" also annoyed me a bit because it removed a lot of the weight from the fights. I give it 6/10. Still above average but nothing special.

γ€Œ 𝕂𝕖π•ͺ π•₯𝕙𝕒π•₯ π•™π•šπ••π•–π•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕀 𝕠𝕗 π••π•’π•£π•œπ•Ÿπ•–π•€π•€, 𝕀𝕙𝕠𝕨 π•žπ•– π•ͺ𝕠𝕦𝕣 π•₯𝕣𝕦𝕖 π•—π• π•£π•ž 」

Mar 1, 2023 5:01 PM
Oct 2022
A very well detailed anime, If you like Greek mythology, this anime is for you.
Jul 23, 2023 5:08 AM
Dec 2013
Finally finished it today, after starting this anime way back in October 2014. I had a good time with it. Nice to finish another 100+ episode anime. Obviously, this show is nothing compared to Dragon Ball when it comes to 80s action anime, which was in a league of its own.
wildhoodJul 23, 2023 5:20 AM
May 1, 10:35 PM

Jul 2012
I just finished this. I didn't watch it as a kid so I had no nostalgia for it whatsoever, which is why I think it has such a great reputation, purely due to nostalgia.
The writing for this show is sometimes My Immortal levels of bad lmao... A lot of things simply don't make sense, they contradict themselves all the time, the plot armor is absolutely insane, it's super repetitive, it's filled with plotholes and plot conveniences. Simply bad.
That having been said, I'm surprised that I find it extremely entertaining (Sometimes being an accidental comedy). The characters, though one-diimensional, are cool to watch. So I'll be watching more arcs to see if it gets better.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Saint Seiya Episode 22 Discussion

barteq88 - Nov 29, 2010

10 by Nill_oficial7boy »»
May 11, 9:26 PM

Poll: » Saint Seiya Episode 113 Discussion

jr_paperbag - May 27, 2012

5 by Berry-Vodka »»
May 2, 2:58 PM

Poll: » Saint Seiya Episode 31 Discussion

barteq88 - Dec 2, 2010

11 by JVskunkape »»
Apr 26, 12:30 AM

Poll: » Who is your favorite Gold Saint?

removed-user - Aug 12, 2022

18 by removed-user »»
Apr 24, 4:10 AM

Poll: » Saint Seiya Episode 104 Discussion

Albi-kun - Mar 19, 2015

4 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 23, 11:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.