Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 18, 2019 6:09 AM

Jul 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Was this the last episode? Because it seemed so. The reveal of Ares-Saga at the end was totally unexpected.
Feb 18, 2019 6:18 AM

Feb 2013
Finally, we have a strong enemy coming, Ares!
It can't get worse from this point anyway.
Feb 18, 2019 10:59 AM

Oct 2013
Good and dynamic episode filled with action. Even some bad looking moments (there were some of them, unfortunately...) won't make it feel less entertaining for me, although it's a pity we had to deal with so many cheap looking scenes at random moments. Some of them looked hilarious, like Eris' "evil and bad face".

It seems that this episode was not that good without purpose. Eris Arc seems to be finished, and the next one with Ares is about to begin.

From now I have a feeling that the anime will go its own way. Is it good? Depends. I really like Saintia Shou's manga and I am worried about anime adaptation taking different course. Based on a great source material it happened to be rather bad adaptation that omitted important scenes and had problems with animation.

If this anime couldn't bear adapting things that already happened in the manga and were not that hard to put them in (while their importance for the plot was very significant), then I don't have high hopes about it going its own way, at least not on this moment of the story.
Feb 18, 2019 2:29 PM

Sep 2011
Is this the end? I'm confused, I don't know if Kyouko is alive or dead, but the "last" confront against Eris was actually cool. Aioria also won that battle against Saga, and hopefully got some closure after dealing with the one who sullied his brother's name. I guess I should spare some time to read this manga.
Feb 18, 2019 3:02 PM

Mar 2014
I was very surprised about the closure of the Eris arc in this episode. I liked how they handled the seal of Eris but as a manga reader I'm kinda disappointed about how they handled this adaptation. Sure, I get the poor animation quality stuff because is a low-budget project but ending the Eris-arc by rushing and omitting story elements & character development is not a good way to promote the series (for example, Erda just rode a bike in the anime without giving her some timescreen about her hate to Deathmask). The arc would be fine with 12 episodes format with that kind of finale. So far the only good thing of all this mediocre adaptation is the Opening song (I really love the lyrics and the VA singing it).

I would be more dissapointed but thankfully Saga appears in his "Ares" mode after the credits (pretty cool the reveal). If they going to keep releasing episodes, then would be nice that is something new for the manga readers like see his phantoms.
Feb 19, 2019 1:12 AM
Jul 2011
Can anyone confirm if this series are KANON? Get it? LOL
but seriously because in the original series this never happened and it was seiya and the others who recused Athena
Feb 19, 2019 4:31 AM

Dec 2015
@Amerikaner? this is supposed to happen while Seiya and his brothers are in the coma. (Between the Sanctuary and Poseidon chapters)
Feb 19, 2019 4:42 AM

Oct 2013
Amerikaner said:
Can anyone confirm if this series are KANON? Get it? LOL

About being KANON... Which SAGA you have in mind? xD

Amerikaner said:
but seriously because in the original series this never happened and it was seiya and the others who recused Athena

And so they did in Saintia Shou during the Battle of the Twelve Houses of Zodiac. The thing is that most of the events from the conflict between Athena and Eris that were shown in Saintia Shou took part in the gap between original Twelve Houses Arc and Poseidon Arc. Bronze Saints who fought with Gold Saints were in the hospital, terribly injured and in coma. Saintia Shou tells us what happened in this time gap.

EDIT: Ayy, I clicked "submit" a little bit too late and Rei366 stole my thunder by answering faster. Oh well, the more info given the better. ;-)
AdnashFeb 19, 2019 4:53 AM
Feb 19, 2019 11:16 AM

Aug 2018
This cloth looks more like a mecha made by CLAMP.
Feb 20, 2019 8:45 AM

Jun 2016
I criticize a lot in this post and I just want to preface this by saying this is purely my feelings on the anime adaptation and I'm sure the manga is 10x better.

This episode was the one that made me most realize how sad it is that the animation and art don't capture the impact of attacks and the struggle of the characters appropriately. Despite the Eris fight being somewhat similar in structure to
The way Eris just pushed the Saintias around and the way we saw all their attacks, some we've nearly never even seen before all go off with no background before Eris just blocked it all was weak. And the final push that freed Saori was also like that, it was a big energy ball that just slightly pushed Eris back. In the Saint Seiya fight that was similar to this structurally, even with basic baddies like we had here, it was built up to and we saw everyone's attacks in detail before the final confrontation and, although both were cheesy the villain had so much going for him and each Saint had great moments that characterized their resolve.

I also haven't found the villains interesting in the same way as Saint Seiya's. I love the 'villains' in Saint Seiya and even the forgettable Silver Saints had fights that were totally rule of cool awesome and great at characterizing the bronze saints and the way they fight.

I felt a problem in the Aioria and Miro vs Saga confrontation because, the dialogue and ideals behind the fights along with the impact of each blow and the torturous struggle of the fighting saints is what makes the cheesy "good guy always wins" cosmos system awesome to me. Through intense struggle and perseverance and virtue and an explored sense of justice they win! Sadly, I thought the confrontation was lacking in those regards and the cheesiness of the win wasn't justified. It wasn't all bad of course, I loved how Aioria fearlessly fought Saga and beat the heck out of him. It was exciting, and the fact that Miro let Aioria have the fight himself showed a lot of respect and understanding between them.

I suppose my problem with the Saintia Sho anime I was forced to confront here is that nearly every aspect surrounding the fights and villains doesn't feel like Saint Seiya to me for the reasons stated. It's not completely different and it's still cheesy fun, but the memorable part of Saint Seiya and the deeper part that really left a mark on me is not seen here or it's much less prominent. The characters feel awesome and accurate and the music is great and I even like the art not involving the fights. its cheesy and fun and in the smaller scenes I really enjoy it. In the set pieces like this however it feels like something is lacking. Maybe that problem is simply because I came into this with the expectation of it being like Saint Seiya and, even though I often get that in Sho, here it really didn't feel like it outside of the same motifs being used.

To touch on some more things I liked, I did enjoy the Eris confrontation believe it or not. Shoko's little development she had in the fight was a little surprising but it was awesome how she acted and even looked like her sister, and how it tied back to Mayura's first trial where Shoko showed the self sacrifice she was willing to do for justice and more so her sister. At first I thought Shoko was going to Shiryu it, but instead of fighting she did the unthinkable and that was really cool. Since fighting fueled Eris she did the opposite.

The words at the beginning of the episode made me realize that maybe all the lines about how Kyoko accepted Eris herself are completely true and solely based on her love of Shoko and her own self sacrifice to gladly take her on fate.

Evil Saga smiled as he collapsed and seems to have become a god for real now somehow, his dream has come true... that should be interesting.

Edit:
MAL says this is finished airing and if I knew I would have written a mini review so I'll edit this post to do that now. I don't normally give fraction scores but for Saintia I kinda want to. The nostalgia factor was, at times, awesome. The music, and especially the characters from the original were well done. It even added one of my favorite Saga scenes and enhanced Aphrodite as a character and made Saori and her journey far more interesting. Sadly, none of that amounted to anything incredibly memorable or meaningful to me, and if not for nostalgia I probably would not care that much. I liked seeing it but it was such a small thing in the end and that's why I'm giving that an extra .5 in my rating.

It was fun and I enjoyed the first half of the series quite a bit but Saint Seiya is meaningful to me with the awesome characterization of the heroes, with the exceptional villains and idealistic battles, the thematic exploration of justice, the virtuous struggles of the saints, the over the top GAR manliness. Plus the art and the animation are some of my favorites in all of anime. The impact of the blows are strong and the colors are great and the injuries, blood, and damage are substantial. I didn't even care for the villains or what they were fighting for here. The Saintia's were cute but none even started to shine in my opinion. I own the first two volumes of the manga and I'm excited to read them as I want to support Saintia more but in the end all that was lacking and the poor pacing and art/animation made this an albeit fun but very very forgettable anime for me.

5.5/10
gfsdfgsdgsdfgsFeb 28, 2019 4:29 PM
Feb 23, 2019 12:14 PM

Jul 2009
I was thinking it was the end, but after the ending we can see Ares, so I guess there is more...
Feb 24, 2019 12:00 PM

Dec 2015
Non-existent characters uniting attacks coming out-of-nowhere in a supposedly "strong" scene against an almost evanescent threat?

2/5 Extremely uneffective on 99% of the content.

No sense of rythm nor narration, no care in drawings nor animation. Nothing was thought out, except the exploitation of Araki's style (and the imitation is at times pretty bad).
Yet another pure Myth Clothes expansion pack with not an ounce of ambition.

Overall: 4/10
Rei_IIIFeb 28, 2019 6:38 PM
Feb 24, 2019 7:03 PM

Apr 2018
I hope this bad adaptation is over now, we dont need more shit episodes, I'll go now read the manga that must be 10x better
One Piece is the GOAT
Feb 25, 2019 11:08 AM

Sep 2013
I think the show has ended, why MAL says is still airing?
Feb 26, 2019 5:22 AM

Oct 2013
I read as well that episode 10 is the last one, at least for this season.

I'm wondering if we are gonna see one day Saintia Shou's continuation focused on Ares (he looked dank by the way, but I could not stop thinking about his design as "Mecha Saga", lol), with the plot going completely different way as the one shown in the manga.
Feb 27, 2019 1:35 PM

Feb 2014
So, last episode or what? certainly gonna read the manga once is finished.
Mar 1, 2019 8:16 AM

Jun 2013
Did they rush the story and make a different ending? Too bad.
Mar 1, 2019 8:44 AM

May 2012
I hope it get 2nd season

I love this anime
Mar 1, 2019 11:57 AM

Jun 2016
thepath said:
I hope it get 2nd season

I love this anime

As critical as I was in the end I would much like that too. :)
Mar 2, 2019 7:48 PM

Feb 2014
So it was the last episode after all, way to go Gonzo, shitting on yet another decent manga, I so fear for 7 Seeds.
Mar 3, 2019 5:44 AM
May 2018
It could have been better, much better, but I guess it's at least better than no Seiya anime at all.
Mar 21, 2019 9:16 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
A ridiculous and hilarious outcome!!!
The worst saga of the franchise!
3/10....

Ares wait his turn to bring the wickedness over the Earth, will have his chance? :/
Mar 23, 2019 10:19 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Psajdak said:
It could have been better, much better, but I guess it's at least better than no Seiya anime at all.

I'd rather there be no adaptation if it was going to be as bad as this one.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 5, 2020 10:48 AM

Aug 2017
Kinda hilarious how everyone all seem to know each other for a long time despite that Erda is a minor character (no idea wtf she listed as 'main character'), Katya reasons change like the wind and Xiaoling was just comic relief. Also, why Kyouko suddenly wanted to accept Eris's soul when it had been made clear that she was rejecting her in earlier episodes? But the worst insult is that they ruined characters from the main Saint Seiya like Saga and Aiolia in this trash with forced reasons.

I had mixed opinions during the first 5 episodes but the last 5 were terrible while 8-10 have the worst animations I've seen comparing them to Dragon Ball Super episode 5 for example! Terrible pacing, characters that appear and disappear for no reason, unexplained things. I am very patient with this series and I have even defend Soul of God but this anime is hated by almost everyone with good reasons. I'm more annoyed that they changed stuff from the original anime. Production is a mess, pretty obvious when it ended with only 10 episodes. And you can't use an old formula and expecting people to have the same reaction, times change!

2/10 for the anime.

NurguburuOct 5, 2020 11:49 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.

More topics from this board

» Can you watch this with no prior Saint Seiya experience or knowledge?

Lloydy33 - Jan 14, 2021

4 by Vector5003 »»
Jul 2, 2022 10:22 PM

» Watch or drop

literally_boba - Jun 25, 2021

4 by Saint-Sheepy »»
Oct 21, 2021 9:23 PM

Poll: » Saint Seiya: Saintia Shou Episode 9 Discussion

Fayrin - Feb 11, 2019

8 by Nurguburu »»
Oct 5, 2020 9:08 AM

Poll: » Saint Seiya: Saintia Shou Episode 8 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Feb 4, 2019

9 by Nurguburu »»
Oct 5, 2020 7:44 AM

Poll: » Saint Seiya: Saintia Shou Episode 7 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Jan 28, 2019

16 by Nurguburu »»
Oct 4, 2020 11:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.