Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Saga of Tanya the Evil (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jan 26, 2017 6:49 PM

Jan 2011
I think I can safely say I like this anime despite the poor animation and Tanya's ugly face.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jan 26, 2017 7:59 PM
Oct 2012
MasterHavik said:
I think I can safely say I like this anime despite the poor animation and Tanya's ugly face.

Honestly, I have to doubt your eyes if you think the animation is poor. Now, I can understand why people think that one girl with the big eyes is strange, but Tanya? No, her face is perfect. Remember she is a 10 year old girl with a 40 year old man's brain. It should be strange. This, I strongly believe, the animators have captured well.

Though, like many people, I think the LN illustrations are better, but I believe that translating this to animation was too difficult. That the studio would show it in the EC is a compliment to the artist, it is as if they were saying "we tried, but here is a true artist". I don't blame the adapters, economics (and the fact that this is a new studio) probably precluded them from adhering closer. But since the alternative was no adaptation, I praise them for even trying.
Jan 26, 2017 8:39 PM

Jan 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
MasterHavik said:

Honestly, I have to doubt your eyes if you think the animation is poor. Now, I can understand why people think that one girl with the big eyes is strange, but Tanya? No, her face is perfect. Remember she is a 10 year old girl with a 40 year old man's brain. It should be strange. This, I strongly believe, the animators have captured well.

Though, like many people, I think the LN illustrations are better, but I believe that translating this to animation was too difficult. That the studio would show it in the EC is a compliment to the artist, it is as if they were saying "we tried, but here is a true artist". I don't blame the adapters, economics (and the fact that this is a new studio) probably precluded them from adhering closer. But since the alternative was no adaptation, I praise them for even trying.
It's just my opinion. Do you have a problem with it?

Tanya's face looks like this to me-> https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f1/e1/f3/f1e1f30f363f6930154f10674b330dd5.jpg
MasterHavikJan 26, 2017 8:43 PM
Jan 27, 2017 1:16 AM

Apr 2013
MasterHavik said:
Takuan_Soho said:

Tanya's face looks like this to me-> https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f1/e1/f3/f1e1f30f363f6930154f10674b330dd5.jpg

So Tanya looks tasty you mean? :D
Jan 27, 2017 4:59 AM

Mar 2009
MasterHavik said:
Takuan_Soho said:

lol Tanya's face is a delicious-looking pancake?
Jan 27, 2017 5:02 AM

Jan 2011
Being X is desperate af. Why would anyone want to pray to such a giant douche? Well I guess Kanye is popular enough, so maybe that's not so far fetched.
Jan 27, 2017 5:29 AM

Jan 2011
Zefyris said:
MasterHavik said:

So Tanya looks tasty you mean? :D
It looks like a poorly cook pancake with eyes nearly falling out of her head.

Jan 27, 2017 6:38 AM

Apr 2015
Alrait, NUT studio nailed the animation but lack of character design, but hey fak it, it is their first freaking anime adaptation hater's gonna hate but please support studio like this since not everyday we see a good studio that care about animation.

Of course there will be improvement in the future, if we anime community support NUT.
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Jan 28, 2017 7:31 AM

Sep 2012
Rehls said:
imbuement said:

Wait only ten years and we just get Esdeath, or even more than that?

:o People don't mind it's a man in a girl's body? That salaryman's in there, still. How awkward it must be for him to deal with femininity... How would he be attracted to males? He wouldn't necessarily, I think; he'd remain attracted to females.

How naive you are.

People mind or not never be a problem, but Tanya herself mind that will be the problem.
Jan 28, 2017 1:48 PM
Jul 2018
imbuement said:
Rehls said:

:o People don't mind it's a man in a girl's body? That salaryman's in there, still. How awkward it must be for him to deal with femininity... How would he be attracted to males? He wouldn't necessarily, I think; he'd remain attracted to females.

How naive you are.

People mind or not never be a problem, but Tanya herself mind that will be the problem.

:o I'm talking about people from the real world finding this female character hot. I can't knowing she's the mind of a middle-aged man. You were talking about what? Characters in the show? Alright.
Jan 28, 2017 5:36 PM
Oct 2012
MasterHavik said:

And I stated my opinion, do you have a problem with that?

I love it when people throw out an "opinion" and then get mad when people respond to it. If you don't want people to respond, why give it in the first place?

In public, you are free to state whatever opinion you want, and I am free to respond to your opinion. Having an opinion and a right to state it doesn't mean that I have to respect your opinion or that I should silently allow it to pass.

Besides, I agreed with your opinion, I just thought that we should be more tolerant of people who adapt works because, well, its so hard that neither you nor I can do it. There is a reason why the LN only has 5-7 illustrations in them. Of course they should be better, infinitely better, but there is no way such an artist could animate a series.

Shirobako, an excellent animation about animation shows this: they hired an artist to draw a single scene. And that is what they got a single scene. Took him several weeks to do it. No animation could adhere to that schedule.
Jan 28, 2017 5:41 PM

Jan 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
MasterHavik said:

And I stated my opinion, do you have a problem with that?

I love it when people throw out an "opinion" and then get mad when people respond to it. If you don't want people to respond, why give it in the first place?

In public, you are free to state whatever opinion you want, and I am free to respond to your opinion. Having an opinion and a right to state it doesn't mean that I have to respect your opinion or that I should silently allow it to pass.

Besides, I agreed with your opinion, I just thought that we should be more tolerant of people who adapt works because, well, its so hard that neither you nor I can do it. There is a reason why the LN only has 5-7 illustrations in them. Of course they should be better, infinitely better, but there is no way such an artist could animate a series.

Shirobako, an excellent animation about animation shows this: they hired an artist to draw a single scene. And that is what they got a single scene. Took him several weeks to do it. No animation could adhere to that schedule.
Sorry I just felt attack. I'm not looking to pick fights or start them. I'm just commenting along with the anime like I do with every show.

I know it's hard. I talk about in a thread I made how they should stop making these episodes week by week. It's better to work on it ahead of time like a lot of recent cartoons.
Jan 30, 2017 7:08 AM
Jan 2016
MasterHavik said:
I know it's hard. I talk about in a thread I made how they should stop making these episodes week by week. It's better to work on it ahead of time like a lot of recent cartoons.

But they don't make them week by week? New titles have always been announced at least a year before they're actually aired, it's why if you look up the "Later" tab under "Seasonal Anime" you can see projects slated for late 2017/early 2018 releases. Studios use that year to make the anime, so for a 12-episode title that's almost a month's worth of time spend on each episode.

If you think that's too long, think about it this way: a typical manga chapter is about 24 pages with maybe five or six panels each, which is roughly 12 illustrations (including backgrounds), for a grand total of 266 illustrations and takes a month to produce; a typical anime episode is 20 minutes long (excluding the three minutes for OP and ED) running at 24 FPS, which is essentially 24 "illustrations" per second, but if you figure in all of the static shots used the total illustrations used is around 3,000... but that's before you even get to coloring, adding sound effects, and recording the voice acting. That's just physically impossible to do within a week.
Jan 30, 2017 1:49 PM

Jan 2011
MysteriousBanana said:
MasterHavik said:

But they don't make them week by week? New titles have always been announced at least a year before they're actually aired, it's why if you look up the "Later" tab under "Seasonal Anime" you can see projects slated for late 2017/early 2018 releases. Studios use that year to make the anime, so for a 12-episode title that's almost a month's worth of time spend on each episode.

If you think that's too long, think about it this way: a typical manga chapter is about 24 pages with maybe five or six panels each, which is roughly 12 illustrations (including backgrounds), for a grand total of 266 illustrations and takes a month to produce; a typical anime episode is 20 minutes long (excluding the three minutes for OP and ED) running at 24 FPS, which is essentially 24 "illustrations" per second, but if you figure in all of the static shots used the total illustrations used is around 3,000... but that's before you even get to coloring, adding sound effects, and recording the voice acting. That's just physically impossible to do within a week.
T my knowledge they don't start production until the show is suppose to air. So yeah they announce it but work doesn't really start until their season comes up. It's kind of weird. I know Crystal was animated bi weekly.
Jan 30, 2017 9:16 PM

Nov 2014
this is the biggest discovery for me this season

Jan 30, 2017 11:20 PM
Jan 2016
MasterHavik said:
T my knowledge they don't start production until the show is suppose to air. So yeah they announce it but work doesn't really start until their season comes up. It's kind of weird. I know Crystal was animated bi weekly.

Hm, it's true that project management would vary from studio to studio/director to director, but I'd argue the PVs are proof that work generally starts much earlier than that: Youjo Senki's first PV used scenes from the first episode and was released on Oct. 30th, a little over two months before the airing date, which suggests at the very least said episode was completed by that point; the same can be said for most of the other anime titles going back almost a decade, but even before that anime mags like Newtype regularly teased scenes from yet-to-be released titles months before broadcast as well, so I'd also argue that suggests it's not a recent practice either (first Newtype I got was around '94~'95, so at least 22 years now).
MysteriousBananaJan 30, 2017 11:28 PM
Jan 31, 2017 2:20 PM

Jan 2011
MysteriousBanana said:
MasterHavik said:

Hm, it's true that project management would vary from studio to studio/director to director, but I'd argue the PVs are proof that work generally starts much earlier than that: Youjo Senki's first PV used scenes from the first episode and was released on Oct. 30th, a little over two months before the airing date, which suggests at the very least said episode was completed by that point; the same can be said for most of the other anime titles going back almost a decade, but even before that anime mags like Newtype regularly teased scenes from yet-to-be released titles months before broadcast as well, so I'd also argue that suggests it's not a recent practice either (first Newtype I got was around '94~'95, so at least 22 years now).
I think the first episode of these shows is done ahead of time since they are showing them off as events. So they need to build hype somehow.
Jan 31, 2017 5:04 PM
Jan 2016
MasterHavik said:
I think the first episode of these shows is done ahead of time since they are showing them off as events. So they need to build hype somehow.

That wouldn't make sense from a business standpoint though. It would essentially mean the studio assembled the staff to produce that first episode, then had them do nothing for three months until the season actually started; that's a massive waste of resources that business management courses teaches people to avoid (basically a business will take the hourly expenses in electricity, water, rent, maintenance, etc. and divide it among number of employees on site, so you're considered losing that much money every hour for the company simply by existing unless your work produces value to offset that) and the studio can't refrain from paying them for that time because it's pretty much illegal in any developed country not to pay employees for three months at a time.

It doesn't make sense from a project management standpoint either, because making episodes on a week-by-week basis exposes the project to all sorts of delays that could be avoided otherwise. In particular is the critical role of voice actors: if one gets sick or in an accident, production screeches to a halt unless they completely redo all the episodes until the VA gets better or they switch the VA mid-season; to my knowledge there hasn't been a single anime suddenly write off characters or change their actors mid-season in the history of the industry. For example, the third season of "Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei Herz!" lists Miyu Matsuki (RIP) as the voice of Magical Sapphire despite her being in the hospital the entire time the anime aired; if anime was made on a weekly basis, they would have changed the VA that season, not the following season.

Ultimately making anime is still a business and must be handled like a business to be successful, any business that procrastinates in its projects and fails to account for potential obstacles are guaranteed to fail; but the anime industry has been too consistent, even with its worst anime titles, for that to be true. We've had studios delay starting an anime for a season (like Granblue Fantasy), but never had them miss a deadline for the week or suddenly announce they have to finish the rest of the season next season - which should have happened at least a few times if it was an industry standard to make anime on a weekly basis.
Jan 31, 2017 7:36 PM

Jan 2011
MysteriousBanana said:
MasterHavik said:

That wouldn't make sense from a business standpoint though. It would essentially mean the studio assembled the staff to produce that first episode, then had them do nothing for three months until the season actually started; that's a massive waste of resources that business management courses teaches people to avoid (basically a business will take the hourly expenses in electricity, water, rent, maintenance, etc. and divide it among number of employees on site, so you're considered losing that much money every hour for the company simply by existing unless your work produces value to offset that) and the studio can't refrain from paying them for that time because it's pretty much illegal in any developed country not to pay employees for three months at a time.

It doesn't make sense from a project management standpoint either, because making episodes on a week-by-week basis exposes the project to all sorts of delays that could be avoided otherwise. In particular is the critical role of voice actors: if one gets sick or in an accident, production screeches to a halt unless they completely redo all the episodes until the VA gets better or they switch the VA mid-season; to my knowledge there hasn't been a single anime suddenly write off characters or change their actors mid-season in the history of the industry. For example, the third season of "Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei Herz!" lists Miyu Matsuki (RIP) as the voice of Magical Sapphire despite her being in the hospital the entire time the anime aired; if anime was made on a weekly basis, they would have changed the VA that season, not the following season.

Ultimately making anime is still a business and must be handled like a business to be successful, any business that procrastinates in its projects and fails to account for potential obstacles are guaranteed to fail; but the anime industry has been too consistent, even with its worst anime titles, for that to be true. We've had studios delay starting an anime for a season (like Granblue Fantasy), but never had them miss a deadline for the week or suddenly announce they have to finish the rest of the season next season - which should have happened at least a few times if it was an industry standard to make anime on a weekly basis.
This is why I feel the anime business can learn a couple of things from the western animation side and how they do things. Shows are work on so ahead of time it's crazy how polish the final product is.
Jan 31, 2017 10:56 PM
Jan 2016
MasterHavik said:
This is why I feel the anime business can learn a couple of things from the western animation side and how they do things. Shows are work on so ahead of time it's crazy how polish the final product is.

Well, no, my point is that if they really did make it on a weekly basis, we should have clear examples of deadlines being missed or staff changes happening mid-season, but we don't (but we do have examples that suggest they don't make them week-by-week); it's impossible for the anime industry to have managed that for 30+ years unless, especially with as many different titles they put out every season, without some serious black magic.

Also it sounds like you might be comparing apples and oranges. Japanese animation series are superior to Western cartoons series in pretty much every technical aspect; Western animated films are a completely different beast and are better than Japanese animated films, but it would hardly be fair to compare that to a TV series.
MysteriousBananaJan 31, 2017 11:03 PM
Jan 31, 2017 11:00 PM

Jan 2011
MysteriousBanana said:
MasterHavik said:

Well, no, my point is that if they really did make it on a weekly basis, we should have clear examples of deadlines being missed or staff changes happening mid-season, but we don't (but we do have examples that suggest they don't make them week-by-week); it's impossible for the anime industry to have managed that for 30+ years unless, especially with as many different titles they put out every season, without some serious black magic.
Let's not forget most of us can't speak Japanese. So we'll take someone google translate tweet out of context.
Jan 31, 2017 11:12 PM
Jan 2016
MasterHavik said:
Let's not forget most of us can't speak Japanese. So we'll take someone google translate tweet out of context.

I'm not sure I understand how tweets are related?

Anyway, we are kinda drifting from the forum topic, so I'll just say I'm personally not convinced anime is made week-by-week and leave it at that. I'm sure we can find a "behind the scenes" video of the anime industry one day that'll clear things up, but until then we should just enjoy anime for what it is :)
Feb 1, 2017 1:54 AM

Oct 2008
3rd episode and it keeps getting better!!!
The OP visuals are godly awesome!
The ED of Yuuki Aoi is great also!
Tanya being used as test pilot exploding lab rat!
LOL earlier Tanya wanted to be rear lines now she regretted her decision and wants to be transferred to front lines!
Every time stop event is so epic and Being X made again an appearance of somewhat!
Tanya's awesome! bad mouthing a God!
Tanya finally prayed to God and the results are EPIC! that pray chant was from the first episode! cool!
5/5!

Feb 1, 2017 4:37 AM

Jul 2008
Boy "God" is really pretty petty if he or she is worrying and interfering so much in one person's refusal to worship...
Feb 5, 2017 1:29 PM
Jun 2013
Deus lo vult.... would never imagine that being said outside of zealing Black Templars from the Grimdarkness that is Warhhamer 40K. Great episode and series... and this season I'm watching 2 series with lolis in them... one I want to protect (Kanna from Miss Koyabashi's Dragon Maid), and one I want to run away from (Tanya...).
Feb 5, 2017 8:21 PM

Sep 2012
-👏👏👏
great ep, "being x" as gods name,
"Classic"
Feb 9, 2017 10:33 PM

Oct 2015
God a fucking troll. No EZ peasy life for ya.
Feb 11, 2017 7:21 PM

Feb 2013
Hahahaha "Being-X" has Tanya right where he wants.
So that explains her prayers/incantations.
Feb 24, 2017 12:27 PM

Apr 2014
If only the character design was as perfect as in ED.
Feb 25, 2017 11:58 AM

Dec 2013
Very interesting show. Didn't expect it to be that good. I hope somebody will translate more than 1 volume of the novel, because, oh boy, I'll definitely read it.
Mar 3, 2017 3:04 AM

Jul 2009
Hahaha, it's not easy being Tanya!
Apr 7, 2017 9:02 AM

Apr 2015
Man I'm loving the OP and ED

So apparently God is an asshole in this anime, cool

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Apr 7, 2017 12:03 PM

May 2012
Impressive episode again, great cover of her backstory, really looking forward to see what happens next!
Apr 22, 2017 1:07 AM

Aug 2010
God is not only forcing her to worship him, all of the "miracles" that happen because of her thanks to gods shenanigans are making her into a sort of beacon to spread his faith.
Apr 25, 2017 12:49 AM

Jan 2013
Some people in this thread are overlooking the early minutes of the second episode where the protagonist (Tanya) explicitly affirms that he has grave character deficiencies and a twisted personality. So it is no wonder that the God in this story is pressuring Tanya to live a faith filled and virtuous life rather than a narcissistic and Machiavellian life.
ExaccusApr 25, 2017 12:57 AM
Salmon is delicious.
Apr 29, 2017 2:19 PM

Feb 2012

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 21, 2017 12:53 PM

May 2013
lol I like how the ending clips so far have "Tanya-chan" moments xDD
Jul 21, 2017 6:56 AM

Jul 2013
So she's just 10 lol. She might be a prodigy but I'm still surprised everyone's taking her seriously.

I think in order to have an easy life all she has to do is to suck up to being x but she's too prideful to do it.

Also, murphy's law. I remember that from Interstellar. Awesome movie btw.
Jul 26, 2017 4:30 AM

May 2016
As if cornering Tanya into the brink of death rigging the mad scientist's gem to make her pray to the lord for survival just to hear some forced compliments wasn't enough, many of the characters were saying stuff like "Thank god~" in front of Tanya to rub it in xD

Being X being a Nutcracker is probably a symbolism of wanting Tanya to break down and become servile towards him (and she's a hard nut to crack lol). I like how their writing is highly decorated English you can barely read~

I liked the divine comedic timing that shows that no matter where she ends up, she won't be getting a break. That's the first case of fanservice wow xD She'll be at military university now so I'm excited~ The op was nice but damn the ed becomes catchy af when you replay it a few times.
Kajo_Senpai69Jul 26, 2017 4:44 AM

Aug 9, 2017 2:08 AM

Mar 2015
I like how despite Tanya thinking she has the upper hand over Being X, she's still getting her strings pulled
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 18, 2017 7:47 AM

Jun 2016
I honestly loved the OP so much. Holy shit. That was intense and had me hyped. Ohmygod. Let's not forget the ED; it's Aoi-chan herself singing. And the artworks in the ED. Glorious. :D

I love Tanya's sassiness so much. Her being the one who's being used to test the Doctor's experiments and exploding on her was so hilarious. Just the whole experiments scene was funny af.

And "Being X" visited her again. I'm an Atheist, too, so I feel you, Tanya. Just praying her and being around religious people, or talking about God makes me cringe. Lmfao.

Viktoriya is so adorable, alright? :D She's like a Tanya fangirl. Hihi. Giving her that white dress. :3

Couldn't you get any more cuter, Tanya? I wanna cuddle her so baaad. She's so smol!

Amazing episode. <3

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 14, 2018 7:34 PM

Mar 2015
The ending is amazing! Yuuki Aoi always delivers.

But damn it, I actually thought the train would explode or something since Tanya set up too many flags.

Mar 16, 2018 10:05 AM

Mar 2014
I dont know why, but I feel that more (un)fitting ED song would have been some Marduk, namely Panzer Division Marduk (ok, just kidding, ED is okay ;) )
Oct 30, 2018 7:22 PM

Nov 2016
Oh Tanya, life won't be so easy for you.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 4, 2019 3:05 PM

Jun 2015
im surprised everyone's taking a ten year old soldier as serious as they are
Mar 17, 2019 5:35 AM

Jul 2009
So to sum it up, this show's about a salaryman reincarnated as a little girl who is trying to resist God's trolling, but ends up being devout? Well, at least I can applaud the writer for trying to be original lmao.
Mar 25, 2019 9:10 AM

Feb 2014
Good episode, liking the two main protagonists already.
Jun 4, 2019 10:31 AM

Apr 2018
So basically, God is just forcing her to worship him? Well Atleast Tanya doesn't have to pray with her whole heart. She can still badmouth him lol
Jul 5, 2019 7:42 AM

Apr 2009
Computational jewel? So this is like the CAD from Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (The Irregular at Magic High School)? Hmmm...magical science!

God wills it? All I hear are the popular depictions of Knight Templars all over again. >_<

Yes, make the atheist pray for miracles every time. LOL

You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Sep 7, 2019 7:59 PM

Apr 2014
This episode felt too long. I didn't really like the design of the Elinium 95 because it looks too simplistic compared to in the manga. But finally Tanya has a sidekick now. My God why Viktoriya isn't blond and pretty like in the LN and Manga. Oh well, tight budget is tight budget
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2017

209 by lazypanda666 »»
Yesterday, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2017

313 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 11:58 PM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2017

448 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 11:41 PM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2017

291 by Phixiately »»
Apr 24, 8:26 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2017

147 by Phixiately »»
Apr 22, 9:38 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.