Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Heroic Legend of Arslan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Apr 13, 2015 9:19 PM

Jun 2007
Farabeuf said:
Kurogashi said:
this show is going full akatsuki no yona. not sure if that's a good or bad thing..

It's actually the other way around. Yona begun being written in 2009, whereas Yoshiki Tanaka started writing Arslan in 1986 and the books are still ongoing (14 volumes last I checked).

The Arslan anime is adapting the 2013 Arakawa manga, not the original novels. :^^^^^^)
Apr 13, 2015 11:15 PM

Dec 2014
First episode was very "eh" to me, this episode was fantastic though.
Arslan sees the reality and cruelty of war in his countrymen and friends getting slaughtered. Daryun already making a case for an awesome character. I like the fact that Arslan is displayed as fairly weak, but not hopeless. I don't think he'll develop into a complete bad-ass or anything, but they have set the stage for what could be incredible development (mentally and physically).
Loved the fairly realistic display of tactics and sword-fighting though.

OP is good, ED is fucking amazing.
Apr 13, 2015 11:48 PM

Aug 2014
Fantastic episode. Loving the OP also.
Apr 14, 2015 4:37 AM

Jan 2013
ED song is kinda cheesy but still amazing. OP isn't as memorable overall but the song is great (maybe it just doesn't fit the anime well? idk) and the sequence for it is pretty good.

Intense episode. I wanted to slap the king when he was being a total wad which of course got his army screwed over (which was depressing to watch). Good to see Arslan put his moves to use with that first attacker. Daryun's my fave so far.

I love how this is very much Arakawa's art style yet at the same time the character designs are pretty distinct from her other works.
Apr 14, 2015 5:28 AM

Jul 2012
Pretty good OP and a solid ED too. I liked how gritty this got. :)
Apr 14, 2015 7:41 AM

Jan 2014
Cool OP, I like the beat to it. Some crazy action went on in this one. I face palmed hard when the king made that rash decision. That being said, the personalities of all the characters are being developed well.

Daryun is a BADASS. The ED is fantastic as well.
DexterApr 14, 2015 7:46 AM
Apr 14, 2015 8:28 AM

Feb 2014
Kerozinn said:
eXtacy67 said:
I like where this is heading, is this going to be the male equivalent of Yona? If so im completely in!

yeh but Arslan is no Yona..he is far from being equivalent at this point.

Yona was just as useless at the start!
Apr 14, 2015 9:18 AM

Nov 2013
I was looking forward to the UVERworld OP, but..sigh..it turned out not that great:/ As for the ED, I'm awed that they were able to shoujo-fy Arakawa's art (Didn't think it was possible)xD

The story so far is interesting, but I'm definitely looking more forward to the action. Can't wait to see Daryun wipe the field.
Apr 14, 2015 10:20 AM

Dec 2014
TreF said:
I haven't noticed it until someone brought it up here, but Arslan is not the King's child, is he? In the first episode we can see Tahamenay act very cold and dismissive towards Andragoras, and now Vahriz implies Arslan doesn't resemble the King at all (not physically nor personality-wise). Pretty good episode, anyway.

I picked up on this as well... I was wondering if the Queen got pregnant with someone not the King, and was like "Uhhh.... He's yours!" But I am not completely sure.
Apr 14, 2015 2:48 PM

Apr 2015
I love historical stories and epics so I was drawn to this show (similar to Guin Saga). But dang, this is a great anime. Definitely not the best though, so far. I see some flaws, and some eh moments. Like events tying eachother in an unrealistic way, like Arslan says something like "Where's Jack", then Mike comes and says Jack just got shot.
Not exactly what happened but you get it right? But I enjoyed this episode, and this is currently my go-to anime!

4/5
Apr 14, 2015 7:20 PM

Sep 2014
DAMN!!!! I got the feels, when they fell into that hole, then the fire arrows were coming down to them.

As much as sad it was, i was like " This is what you get you Fu*ked up KING!!!" =D
Apr 14, 2015 11:55 PM

Mar 2012
I honestly expected Arslan to be much worse in battle than what he showed thus far. He held his own for a little bit, I though. I just hope he becomes better later on.

I'm kinda disappointed in the Uverworld OP but it'll probably grow on me in time,
Apr 15, 2015 9:31 AM
Jul 2018
First part was kind of slow but the battle part was so awesome, Daryun is epic I can't wait to see him kill the traitor. ED is epic.

Ferax said:
the art style reminds me of FMA

The art is by Arakawa Hiromu the Mangaka of FMA.
Apr 15, 2015 11:05 AM

May 2013
OP is catchy enough, but I still prefer the ED.

King Andragoras III is a stupid dick. I have no idea how he could have won previous wars.
Kharlan is the betrayer! Daryun is the rescuer! Yet who will be the victor?
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Apr 15, 2015 11:54 AM

Jan 2014
Excelent epsiode, much better than the first one.

People complaining about the king being an idiot clearly weren't paying attention. Just because you don't know what the enemy are doing isn't reason to retreat, thats what scouts are for. It's unfortunate for him that his general Kharlan was left in charge of the scouting and directly lied to his face about it, if you can't trust your generals scouting for the way ahead then you're screwed regardless.
Apr 15, 2015 2:01 PM

Aug 2014
The art during the ending is awesome.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Apr 15, 2015 4:12 PM
Jan 2015
ohh... I noticed a lot of reference from other real civilization but lets not talk about that, as long as this anime is fun to watch!
Apr 15, 2015 11:47 PM

May 2009
This episode overall did a good job of fleshing out some characters.

I'm pleased that Arslan isn't exactly weak and is able to hold his ground, not that I have problem with weak characters so long they develop. That foreshadowing though...I had a feeling that Arslan is an illegitimate child.
Also, Daryun was badass.

Imateria said:

People complaining about the king being an idiot clearly weren't paying attention. Just because you don't know what the enemy are doing isn't reason to retreat, thats what scouts are for. It's unfortunate for him that his general Kharlan was left in charge of the scouting and directly lied to his face about it, if you can't trust your generals scouting for the way ahead then you're screwed regardless.

You make a good point.
Apr 15, 2015 11:59 PM

Sep 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:
Farabeuf said:

It's actually the other way around. Yona begun being written in 2009, whereas Yoshiki Tanaka started writing Arslan in 1986 and the books are still ongoing (14 volumes last I checked).

The Arslan anime is adapting the 2013 Arakawa manga, not the original novels. :^^^^^^)
the novels are a straight and accurate adaption of the novels save for the character designs, statement still stands

it even looks like this anime may be adapting the novels anyway cause arakawa made anime designs for characters who havent even shown up in her version

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 16, 2015 5:47 AM
Dec 2012
Good episode. I liked this more than the premiere.

The OP, I thought at first didn't fit but at a second listening I quite enjoyed it and it was stuck in my head the last couple of days. Which is why I feel a lot people thought it was OK but not great. If this were in another typical shounen anime I believe it would be more liked.

The ED was very good. For some reason it felt like a Gundam style song for me.

Daryun to save the prince. Looking forward to the next episode.
sosmetalApr 16, 2015 5:52 AM
Apr 16, 2015 12:13 PM

Feb 2014
That OP animation is really good.

And finally we could see who's the traitor in this episode...
Poor Arslan, I wonder if he'll be okay.

Oh wait, Ouji-sama already came to save her...oops, I mean him.
Apr 16, 2015 1:40 PM

Jun 2012
Was expecting the fights to be as good as Brotherhood but since the studios are different, it was only naivety on my part... Pretty fun ep, hope this continue to step up.
Apr 16, 2015 3:17 PM

Dec 2014
Imateria said:
Excelent epsiode, much better than the first one.

This. King was obstinate, but not completely foolish.
Apr 16, 2015 10:19 PM

Jan 2014
Op was kinda weird but I have a feeling I'll get used to it.

Besides that solid episode. Nice to see Arslan use those skills and dayummmm Daryun is pretty BA.

Apr 17, 2015 12:18 AM

Jul 2009
Great episode.

Yeah the OP doesn't fit the series. Should have gone with medieval of music like Madan did.

I already knew it was a trap since it was set up so conveniently. Daryun tried to warn the king, but he never listen just because he's ego was too much too handle.

And now they pay the price. I already have a feeling the king will die here and Arslan will ascend to the throne instead.

Hope Daryun lives after this fight.

Can't wait for the next episodes!
Apr 17, 2015 5:12 AM

Jan 2011
How did the king even survive this long?
Apr 17, 2015 3:06 PM

Mar 2009
Another stellar episode, and an amazing UVERworld OP bonus! Haven't heard anything from them in a while, they're still one of the best Japanese bands out there.

the fighting was spot on, and flowed so perfect. A perfect set up to what Arslan will become. He nows sees the reality of war, and should start to see how not to rule.

Too bad at least one of the alley kids is dead, I hope at least one of them is still alive.

This is by far one of the best anime seasons in a while, there are so many goods shows.

Can't wait for more.
Apr 17, 2015 5:21 PM
May 2011
The story's really interesting, Prince Arslan is a good character . . . The only thing not to like is the naff battle CGI.
Apr 17, 2015 6:51 PM

May 2014
Woah, I didn't expect Arslan to be that badass. I thought he would be saved by Daryun or something... Also the OP is nice, but I find it to be...unfitting for this. I like the ED better.

Apr 18, 2015 10:03 AM

Nov 2011
GOOD SHIT NIGGERS

It's been tainted by Arakawa Hiromu, but there are residuals of Tanaka Yoshiki all over it. It would have been a solid 7/10 right away had it not been for trappy cuteness (which will have its own merits), the eye-rapingly bad CG, AND THE GARBAGE OP AND ED.

THAT TRAP IS GREAT SHIT NIGGERS
BUT IN THIS KIND OF STORY, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER OF WITHOUT THE TRAP
Apr 18, 2015 5:18 PM

Jul 2007
Shinimiras said:
The artstyle is really turning me off in this series. And why can no one draw/animate horses with a tv budget? Oh right, no one cares.

I have no high expectations for animals in anime to look right (they often just look lazy), but it's clear that this team haven't even cared to research an inch how to draw or animate horses. It's honestly embarrassing.

That said the rest of the art is not great either (especially the jarring CGI).

Art aside, I still am enjoying the show.
Apr 18, 2015 11:31 PM

Feb 2015
Just started this anime. This was a very good episode, I am extremely impressed. I have a feeling this will be my favorite anime of the season.

Story seems really solid so far, the characters well constructed.
And the prince
He is so pretty!

<In the ghost town of our love
there is a player piano
trying to prove it can make music
without being touched.
My fingertips miss her so much.>
Apr 18, 2015 11:35 PM

Feb 2015
TreF said:
I haven't noticed it until someone brought it up here, but Arslan is not the King's child, is he? In the first episode we can see Tahamenay act very cold and dismissive towards Andragoras, and now Vahriz implies Arslan doesn't resemble the King at all (not physically nor personality-wise). Pretty good episode, anyway.

Ah, I see now. Could it be that the Queen was part of the spoils of a past war, and she was already pregnant? The Queen of another country. That would explain her coldness and apparent distaste towards everything Parsian.

<In the ghost town of our love
there is a player piano
trying to prove it can make music
without being touched.
My fingertips miss her so much.>
Apr 18, 2015 11:40 PM

Aug 2013
ReaperCreeper said:

By winning.

Apr 20, 2015 6:59 AM

Nov 2011
Very convincing narrative, although before the battle, while experiencing the tension transmitting the situational context; was present from the beginning in me the idea that the war would be a defeat. However the fact remains that the story was orchestrated well and Arslan nevertheless behaved well; already proving a certain thickness as a character and not the wimp who was believed before this episode. Soundtrack good, the drawings were beautiful, but the CG still limps. I expected an informer in the deployment of Pars, but I thought it was the mustachioed.
Apr 21, 2015 12:17 AM

Oct 2008
UVERworld OP was friggin awesome!
Kharlan is a traitor!?
Cool black knight Daryun!

Apr 21, 2015 4:25 PM

Nov 2013
I loved that OP but it just... doesn't fit in my opinion XD Way too "jamming" to suit an anime based on ancient Persia ^^"
Apr 22, 2015 10:35 PM

Oct 2007
So far this is still my least favorite of the season, but this episode was a nice improvement over the last. The OP was rather lacklustre, and now coming here and seeing it was uverworld makes it even more disappointing. ED was good though.

For those confused on how the king made it this far, he rules a kingdom based on slavery; he clearly just threw numbers at every problem so far and he lucked out that his enemies haven't had tacticians good enough to overcome the bodycount until now.
ShikenApr 22, 2015 10:43 PM
Apr 23, 2015 2:52 AM

Jan 2008
Daryun, you're my hero! Arslan may appear soft but certainly not weak.

Hmm, OP didn't set well for me. UVERworld song was a hit in Ao no Exorcist but I don't think it complements well in this show's setting (the beat I mean). ED is fantastic though.
Apr 24, 2015 2:46 AM

Oct 2013
Did they really take the My-plan-is-the-best-I'm-listening-to-no-one-route? Ugh, I hate that cliché...and guess what? It was a trap after all! What a twist! -.-

1/5
GwendollyMay 1, 2015 2:40 PM
<3
Apr 24, 2015 2:50 AM

Apr 2015
In my opinion the OP and ED were way off, but I'll squeeze them through.
I don't know, I'm a sucker for historical-themed shows but this doesn't scream awesomeness to me that much. On top of that this episode in particular was quite slow-paced, the trap was the highlight of it but everything else was kinda "nah"(and yes , that includes the betrayal thing). Tbh I'm annoyingly patient so I'll stick with the show till the end of the season, but I hope it worths my time.
Oh and I like how they're setting up the characters' personalities and even though I'm not a big fan of their designs, I hope Arslan grows to be something more than the half-glass-full prince he currently is. Let's all be serious, this season is packed with the most annoying protagonists ever and god do I hope Arslan would break that.
hi-d-usApr 24, 2015 3:00 AM
Apr 24, 2015 10:02 AM

Jun 2008
Aww Arslan baby <3 ; u ;

This anime is kinda hard to follow atm with all the names and the lore and story etc.
Apr 25, 2015 5:24 PM

Feb 2013
tactics > power

When did they have time to dig a big trench? Whatever... Nice battle.
Apr 25, 2015 6:28 PM

Apr 2014
The plot was so predictable, but still I'm enjoying it.
Pampared MC, shit happens, become OP MC.
Good presentation, good anime, good characters design.
May 1, 2015 7:46 PM

Jan 2011
"your highness, i think it is a trap"

"what trap? you coward... charge!!!!"

not sure how he became undefeated
May 1, 2015 10:38 PM

Oct 2009
klaymore said:
not sure how he became undefeated

StevenHu said:
ReaperCreeper said:

By winning.

But seriously, not all battle was won by complicated tactics even on real life history, Alexander the Great won most of his battle by simple flanking tactics of his cavalry and hoplites heavy phalanx formation that hold the ground.

Going back to Arslan Senki world, the King has chose the best strategy to fight them on the open plains because of his superior cavalry force, especially if we take into consideration of the previous battle outcome against the Lusitania.

Besides, no one would expect anyone could built a huge fire pit in the middle of nowhere, it would take months or even years of labor and thousands of workers in and out of said place carrying tons of oil to throw into said pit. If anything the enemy scouts would already know that there's suspicious activities in the area. Seriously not even a godlike commander could see that coming, because it is nigh impossible.

Of course the hypothesis here is because of Kharlan treachery that said trap constructions were overlooked as he was the Marzban (commander of the border guards) of the army. He was also the one tasked to scout the battlefield ahead of the main force as one of the main cavalry commander.

Still, a man made pit that huge (more like a cliff) filled with oil enough to lit the entire floor ablaze, is out of common sense.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
May 2, 2015 5:00 PM

Jan 2011
Somehow I'm getting all hyped and stuff.
Although I do believe there is a pretty big chance of this turning out to be pretty generic.
I like the art and direction it has been taking so far.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
May 2, 2015 11:59 PM

Jul 2008
Of course the King gets fooled, he gets warned of the trap, he punishes the one who warns him and the army gets leveled by a traitor in the mist.

This doesn't shock me in the least.
May 3, 2015 8:59 AM
Sep 2013
Kurogashi said:
this show is going full akatsuki no yona. not sure if that's a good or bad thing..
Zeally said:
Not a fan of the OP at all.

Shit that trap was awesome. I like Daryun. He's levelheaded unlike the king who is arrogant. Loving where this anime is headed

Kurogashi said:

Except this isn't a shoujo, and I think this is much better than akatsuki no yona. Actually this show is nothing like Yona

I wouldn't say that it's nothing like Yona but for sure I agree that it doesn't have a lot of similarities. I can't really compare the two though just because both animes concentrate on different things. Akatsuki no yona mainly concentrates more on Yona's ignorance and her growth from a princess to a "warrior." While, from the looks of it, Arslan Senki concentrates more on war and strategy with Arslan growing into a leader more than a warrior. I like both for two different reasons.
May 5, 2015 11:14 AM

Jun 2008
nina4life said:
Hakaya said:
The king is complete idiot, he should always listen to the reason rather than "Fighters don't escape"

For someone that never lost a battle he sure is stupid.

It was because he never lost that wasn't careful enough. When things go bad you are usually scared of your own shadow and think everything that can go bad but this man had no reason to think of all the worse scenarios coming into reality.

Also all people saying his complete idiot are saying it because they are the idiots. The show made a very good job of showing he was a capable man that simply misjudged a situation.
He never seemed stupid at all. He had great numbers with strong men and his cavalry was his army strong point and the flat open land favored his cavalry.
Strategically things looked good for him so i see no stupidity in his belief that he could win.
Even before he gave the command for the charge he asked again if the land was thoroughly checked for traps etc so it's not like he gave no thought to it. Unfortunately for him the traitor was in charge of confirming this.

Without a traitor the enemies strategy wouldn't have worked because the king would have learned the truth about the traps and avoided charging. He wasn't some fool that didn't put men to scan the land or consider the strategic situation of the two armies. His ability for warfare was decent. He was just too prideful to believe that one of his men could betray him like that.

But when the people you trust backstab you is extremely hard for you not fall for it and fail.
MonadMay 19, 2015 10:57 AM
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2015

160 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 30, 3:19 AM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 19, 2015

174 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 29, 4:43 PM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Apr 5, 2015

326 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 29, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2015

102 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Mar 4, 5:03 PM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2015

84 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Mar 1, 3:00 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.