Sep 13, 2022
Great romance, good drama. Some world building. A bit of violence and blood. Very cute, a wonderful read. Definitely recommend.
Look, this is a rehash of beauty and the beast with plenty of clichés to boot. However, what it lacks in originality it makes up in execution. I like the trials the main characters are put through, helping them grow. There is some drama due to Sariphi being a human. We see Sariphi gain more allies and open up people to the idea of peace with humans however there are other issues to ensure it doesn't get repetitive. However it feels like problems are
solved too quickly and/or easily sometimes.
Good character art, with lots of cool beast designs. I really like the design of the king as well, it's quite regal. Plenty of shoujo sparkles too. Not much to say here, just has good art.
As I said, no one here is something you've never seen before or super interesting character concept but they're simply so endearing and well written that it makes up for all of that. Sariphi is a simple character, naïve but compassionate, while the King is more complicated. He has to grapple with what it means to be king as well as coming to terms with his secret.
An adorable classic shoujo romance. Delightful read, this story has been done many times before but I enjoyed every page of this manga. As I said, there is something to be said for an old idea done well. This manga has my unreserved recommendation for anyone who enjoys shoujo romance manga, this is one of the best of its genre.
• Wholesome, heart-warming, this manga just feels good
• It avoids the trap of similar stories by having showing the good and bad sides of humans and beasts
• Fun bonus chapters lampooning the original story
• Avoids the inherent creepiness in the premise of a sacrifice falling for the person they were going to be sacrificed too
• Sariphi is canonically 15 years old. Why? She doesn't even act like a child, just make her an adult, why are you like this japan?
What did you think of this review?