Favorites Boosting Accounts: Ranking Recalculations

New
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
May 12, 2021 1:35 PM

Jun 2020
Seems like Makima bots are back as well
May 12, 2021 3:44 PM

Oct 2017
Still not going to stop the problem. MAL needs to put a paywall between people and the ability to influence aggregate score, favorite rankings, as well as limiting review rating to only paying members. I would be quite happy to become a contributor in that case, and I would be much more assured that these things are legitimate.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
May 12, 2021 11:00 PM

Aug 2010
This is a good step in the right direction!
Post Office
Collection
Hall of Fame
May 13, 2021 2:30 AM
Jan 2021
thank you i appreciate your efforts to make ranking more reliable and faithful to original audience.
May 13, 2021 11:54 AM

Dec 2020
is ichigo from darling in the franxx a new waifu xD
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

May 13, 2021 9:42 PM

Dec 2018
I don't really get the effectiveness of this whole anti-botting recalculation if some of the characters who fell hard due to their bots getting removed are again gonna be botted rapidly to their positions before. Like Emilia fell so hard after the recalculation, well below the Top 50....and now she has once again rapidly made her way into the Top 50 in no time. This anti-botting recalculation only do remain effective if the characters who are still persistently being botted after the recalculation are taken care of again soon.
345EdwardElricMay 19, 2021 11:59 AM
"There's no such thing as a painless lesson, they just don't exist. Sacrifices are necessary. You can't gain anything without losing something first. Although if you can endure that pain and walk away from it, you'll find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle. Yeah... a heart made full-metal."

~Edward Elric
May 13, 2021 9:54 PM
Oct 2020
Is it not finished yet? The vas's faves suddenly change so much today
Fuzzy_kiwiMay 13, 2021 10:03 PM
May 13, 2021 11:17 PM

Dec 2018
This is a nice feature, more power to the developers of MAL
May 13, 2021 11:17 PM

Jun 2020
Seems like this is a recurring system, which is pretty good. The bots of anime and manga fav have been removed once again. Now only the bots of char fav remain.
May 14, 2021 1:13 AM
Jul 2018
I already know some bots are boosting some Characters Favorites but I really didn't know Anime Favorites are related to bots. Yeah, evil should be erased. Keep it up, MAL team.
May 14, 2021 3:33 AM
Oct 2020
@345EdwardElric Yup. #48 in no time flat. Very sad.
May 14, 2021 5:28 AM

Feb 2020
The initial idea of removing boots is great, but how exactly does it work ? I noticed plenty of characters who randomly lost around 100-200 favorites very recently, days after the cleaning was made. And even more, those characters are quite niche ones and most of them didn't reach the 1,000 mark even with the help of the supposed "bots", how does that make sense ? Why would people boost relatively obscure characters without even making them reach 1,000 favorites ? And there are also characters who still have a completely illogical number of favorites, like this girl from Wonder Egg Priority who is apparently as popular as the main ones despite being a side character no one remembers.
That's why I'm wondering how it works because some loss in favorites don't make much sense to me.
May 14, 2021 6:37 AM

Dec 2020
345EdwardElric said:
I got really get the effectiveness of this whole anti-botting recalculation if some of the characters who fell hard due to their bots getting removed are again gonna be botted rapidly to their positions before. Like Emilia fell so hard after the recalculation, well below the Top 50....and now she has once again rapidly made her way into the Top 50 in no time. This anti-botting recalculation only do remain effective if the characters who are still persistently being botted after the recalculation are taken care of again soon.
They need to reset the favourites again and make it captcha based or some other system to prevent bots entirely. Sad that Emilia is being botted this hard considering she's one of my fav characters, Chika too, I want to see how their popularity genuinely grows. Kinda funny people care this much about where they place on a random ass list tho enough to waste time and bot, Emilia's popularity has grown massively this season anyway so I don't see why she's being botted into the top 50, cos she was top 60 legitimately which was more than she was last year.
May 14, 2021 3:16 PM

Mar 2016
I don't understand the reason behind boosting or inflating a rating system in the first place outside of bots or trolling, (which ultimately is a lost cause). No one takes ratings seriously anyway. Maybe that's their point? But we already know it without their intervention lol...
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
May 14, 2021 6:51 PM

Sep 2010
I noticed that my one of my favorites was getting 2 or 3 every other day and was close to getting 600 favs now he is back down to 488. Well it was nice while it lasted too bad those were bots to boost and not legitimate users
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
May 14, 2021 10:28 PM

Jul 2020
There are still boost characters, no? Chika Fujiwara climbs the rankings (from p101 to p71 in a short time)
May 15, 2021 5:54 AM

Jan 2011
CoolSoda said:
This is a nice feature, more power to the developers of MAL
This is some proletariat word if I saw one

@_Alysha_: well you mustn't assume otherwise

@tokihikki: suck it Chizuru.
There is like 2 weeks delay in my recent reading list
I randomly bought discount/second hand manga with cute/mysterious cover.

Use Personal Blacklist extension in Chrome if you just want to Google for a series synopsis, without google slapping MAL score in it.
3/1
May 15, 2021 8:58 AM

Jan 2020
StrawHatTitan said:
That should put an end to the ''but the favs are all bots'' argument. Good job mal. Go Leviiiiiiii!!!

ikr, someone said Lelouch is only on top because of bots, now he can shut up
U-Y-P-W-O-C-U-T-I-K-A-T-I-P-M-I-N-I-I-D-I-H-I-W-T-S-T-I-W-S-T-O-M-P-T-I-L-U-C-H-N-I-D-T-I-I-Y-I-M-N-O-W-S-T-S-W-N-I-B-W
May 15, 2021 9:32 AM

Jan 2020
what if you have to complete CAPTCHA before scoring or favoriting a characters, but after you score something (not favorite something) which means you passed the CAPTCHA, after 30 days (optional but at least 12 days) you will be able to unlock the mode to favorite or score something without any CAPTCHA. sounds annoying to new users but they also have to understand.
of course this is to new users to stop bots
DayyanoEYEMay 15, 2021 9:39 AM
U-Y-P-W-O-C-U-T-I-K-A-T-I-P-M-I-N-I-I-D-I-H-I-W-T-S-T-I-W-S-T-O-M-P-T-I-L-U-C-H-N-I-D-T-I-I-Y-I-M-N-O-W-S-T-S-W-N-I-B-W
May 15, 2021 10:36 AM

May 2021
Good, I care about those ratings just enough to be happy that Luffy isn't getting that 1st place. A matter of principle for me. He should be in top-10 most horrible characters in existence, as far as I'm concerned. Was worried about him sitting at the top by the time I register here. Otherwise, I don't care about favourites rating all that much.
May 15, 2021 11:50 AM
Apr 2018
Thats Quite nice seeing so much efforts & visual data.

Thank you for keeping the platform healthy and safe!
May 15, 2021 4:18 PM
Feb 2021
I still suspect Lelouch to be heavily boosted. Unfortunately, some people are clever enough that they can make a bot account look like an old abandoned one with enough manipulation.
VaguelyweebishMay 15, 2021 4:22 PM
"Tomatoes are nutritious and scrumptious."--Ryuunoske Akasaka, "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou"

Sword Art Online is mid, not utter trash. Oh yes, I'm such a rebel. 😎
May 15, 2021 5:41 PM
Jul 2018
Snackgamers557 said:
Some characters loved by Bots like Itsuki, Mami, Ichigo and Emilia still get Botting until now. is this system temporary?? they just made the character rank rigged.
https://myanimelist.net/character/161471/Itsuki_Nakano
https://myanimelist.net/character/169181/Mami_Nanami
https://myanimelist.net/character/155680/Ichigo
https://myanimelist.net/character/118737/Emilia
they never learn, just let them do it again until MAL does the Bots clean up again, I want to see how frustrated they are.
May 15, 2021 6:54 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Just want to note that we're monitoring and aware that some botted characters are rising again. Please be assured that those favourites will be corrected as many times as they need to be.
May 15, 2021 10:42 PM
May 2018
Some characters I like to a tumble - oh well, quality of quantity as they say...
May 16, 2021 3:12 AM
Feb 2021
i dont know how the counting system works. Elaina got 10.6k, then 3.3k after re-calculation. But now she get 5.3k again.
I love her and how people choose her too as fav. character.
Hope the system of myanimelist get better ...
May 16, 2021 5:34 AM
Mar 2021
Looks like there was some big Ichigo fans around :D
May 16, 2021 7:08 AM
Jul 2020
Why does it look like they removed all the votes but they missed Levi and lelouch
May 16, 2021 8:08 AM
Jul 2020
damn, quite a troublesome problem.
Ok
May 16, 2021 9:29 AM

Oct 2019
I have a mild feeling that a cult of Sakura Bots are on the uprising again, even though Fate Stay Night media hasn't been trending lately.
https://myanimelist.net/character/500/Sakura_Matou
May 16, 2021 9:59 AM
Jan 2019
Yikes imagine duping that much for a series as overrated as kny already is
May 16, 2021 2:59 PM
Jul 2018
Kiyotaka696 said:
what if you have to complete CAPTCHA before scoring or favoriting a characters, but after you score something (not favorite something) which means you passed the CAPTCHA, after 30 days (optional but at least 12 days) you will be able to unlock the mode to favorite or score something without any CAPTCHA. sounds annoying to new users but they also have to understand.

Captcha should be anime themed , eg choose characters with flat chests in the picture
May 16, 2021 3:34 PM

Jan 2020
petran79 said:
Kiyotaka696 said:

Captcha should be anime themed , eg choose characters with flat chests in the picture

genius idea, that would make it less annoying, in fact it won't even be annoying to some people, but some people don't like ecchi stuffs so it should be optionable to choose normal CAPTCHA or anime-type CAPTCHA.
ah but all this ideas are useless and fantasy, i don't think this idea will be accepted anyways
May 16, 2021 4:07 PM

Feb 2012
You guys are doing a really excellent job. As a developer myself, I understand just how difficult it can be to correctly identify patterns and action them accordingly. It's a credit to your developers that you've been collecting enough data over a long enough period to track this kind of thing down at all.

Keep up the good work.

SoldierDream said:
You just can't possibly tell me that out of Goku's 46,000 favorites, 24,000 were bots. That's just impossible, no one cares about DB in this site for that to have been the case.

Now he's soon gonna be out of the top 50. Fucking gross.

That's probably the exact attitude that the people responsible for botting him had. The MAL team wouldn't be taking action unless they were sure about their algorithm for detecting fakes. For them to take such decisive action indicates to me that they're confident about the fake account identification.

HeshamJohnny said:
conrrr said:
That would seriously be offputting for new members.

A better idea would be for new member's reviews and character favourites to not contribute to the favourites list and shows score until a certain period of time has passed; so new members can still favourite characters and review shows but this won't affect the sites systems until a date has passed from account activation. idek if this is possible but it's an idea.
Your idea would be perfect if account activation is measured by member activity on the site but no it is all about time which means that bots effect would be just delayed for the 30 days and then will count so we achieved nothing we have to be strict to stop these trolls

People designing bots aren't stupid. It's not like the bot accounts are just created, do the job and then forgotten about. A developer could just have a program that sits there for a month taking random actions with thousands of accounts in order to make them look legitimate.

I'm sure the MAL team are smart enough to keep their methods for identifying bot accounts a secret. There are more advanced techniques for identifying fake accounts that they could use. They likely use a many layered approach that provides a confidence level for each account. Certain behaviours would reduce the confidence level while others increase it. I can't be 100% sure that this is the approach that MAL are taking, but this is what I would do.
Zei33May 16, 2021 4:24 PM
May 16, 2021 4:23 PM

Dec 2020
petran79 said:
Kiyotaka696 said:

or pick the girls and it just shows a bunch of traps
May 16, 2021 5:18 PM
Feb 2021
Zei33 said:
You guys are doing a really excellent job. As a developer myself, I understand just how difficult it can be to correctly identify patterns and action them accordingly. It's a credit to your developers that you've been collecting enough data over a long enough period to track this kind of thing down at all.

Keep up the good work.

SoldierDream said:
You just can't possibly tell me that out of Goku's 46,000 favorites, 24,000 were bots. That's just impossible, no one cares about DB in this site for that to have been the case.

Now he's soon gonna be out of the top 50. Fucking gross.

That's probably the exact attitude that the people responsible for botting him had. The MAL team wouldn't be taking action unless they were sure about their algorithm for detecting fakes. For them to take such decisive action indicates to me that they're confident about the fake account identification.

HeshamJohnny said:
Your idea would be perfect if account activation is measured by member activity on the site but no it is all about time which means that bots effect would be just delayed for the 30 days and then will count so we achieved nothing we have to be strict to stop these trolls

People designing bots aren't stupid. It's not like the bot accounts are just created, do the job and then forgotten about. A developer could just have a program that sits there for a month taking random actions with thousands of accounts in order to make them look legitimate.

I'm sure the MAL team are smart enough to keep their methods for identifying bot accounts a secret. There are more advanced techniques for identifying fake accounts that they could use. They likely use a many layered approach that provides a confidence level for each account. Certain behaviours would reduce the confidence level while others increase it. I can't be 100% sure that this is the approach that MAL are taking, but this is what I would do.
Sheesh! People are THAT obsessive that they will waste their programming talents to make their favorite fictional characters more recognized??? I shouldn't be surprised by this point. -_-
"Tomatoes are nutritious and scrumptious."--Ryuunoske Akasaka, "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou"

May 16, 2021 5:48 PM

Feb 2012
Vaguelyweebish said:
Sheesh! People are THAT obsessive that they will waste their programming talents to make their favorite fictional characters more recognized??? I shouldn't be surprised by this point. -_-

Nah it's not like that. Programmers grow their skill by challenging themselves. More likely than not, a few people just thought, "wouldn't it be cool if I could make a program to do this?" And went ahead and did it.

In a similar vein, I wanted to make a MAL app for Samsung TVs. I got about half way through with it before I shelved it due to lack of time.

I still learned a lot about authenticating a user with an API using OAuth2.

The people making bots to affect MAL stats probably learned plenty and were able to transfer some of the skills into a more professional setting.

Programming is all a matter of experience.
May 17, 2021 4:35 AM
Mar 2021
I do hope it's not just "Favorites" and bot accounts spamming "10 score" on anime and characters that will be removed next week, but also the bots and people spamming "1"-scores on shows.

Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san is the 2nd most popular show this season if you look at the number of members and started out with a 7.5+ rating but as soon as Twitter cancel-culture started nonsense about false racial characterization of the main character and the teasing/bullying(?) which is basically the entire concept of the show, tanking the score below a 7 before it got boosted a little again.

The problem with this is that you have one side downvoting it into oblivion and others that might feel the low score is unwarranted that are more likely to give it a a way higher score than they would normally give to offset those giving low scores.

Boku no Hero Academia 5th Season has 180.257 more members but only 16.689 votes more for a total of 15%~ voter turnout, the #3 show Fumetsu no Anata e has a voter turnout of 16.8% whereas Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san has a voter turnout of 18.5%.

Boku no Hero Academia 5th Season:
Total voters: 79446 voters
Total Votes between 1-4: 2935
Votes between 1-4 %: 3.7%
Votes with "1" score: 1.1%

Fumetsu no Anata e
Total voters: 56569 voters
Total Votes between 1-4: 468
Votes between 1-4 %: 0.8%
Votes with "1" score: 0.3%

Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san
Total voters: 62757 voters
Total Votes between 1-4: 5204
Votes between 1-4 %: 8.2%
Votes with "1" score: 2.5%

Something seems off about the numbers, the percentage between 1-4 and the "1"-voters is way higher than the other two shows.
May 17, 2021 5:30 AM

Jul 2017
Keep up the good work, guys. And thank you for highlighting Senjougahara's queen status.
May 17, 2021 8:03 AM
Jul 2018
Kineta said:
Just want to note that we're monitoring and aware that some botted characters are rising again. Please be assured that those favourites will be corrected as many times as they need to be.

@Kineta the system might not be a proper solution to the problem, because the character favorites are counted live. Unlike the score system which updates after a while.
Why not just hide the number of favorites from the characters and just show the ranking(just like with anime and manga entries) , that way the calculations can be done using some time and bot votes will not be counted.
Edit : by hide I mean you have to click on the character details to see the numbers.
removed-userMay 17, 2021 8:06 AM
May 17, 2021 9:37 AM
Sep 2014
you tell me that people have enough time to make more accounts on here to push anime and character higher in the ranking ?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
May 17, 2021 10:19 AM

Dec 2019
Woah this is something new for me ~never thought Lelouch got that much of spotlight considering that anime is bland for me. still Happy to see Guts still in top#100 list though.
Once a flower withered, it can never bloom again..

May 18, 2021 8:34 AM

Sep 2019
Kineta said:
east or west, Kineta is the best.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
May 18, 2021 10:30 AM
Feb 2021
Roloko said:
I noticed that my one of my favorites was getting 2 or 3 every other day and was close to getting 600 favs now he is back down to 488. Well it was nice while it lasted too bad those were bots to boost and not legitimate users
Monica, Dorothea, Marika, and Liliana for the . . . loss.

Oh, and death to Kallen and Suzaku.

May 18, 2021 10:31 AM
Feb 2021
Paul_Pheonix said:
Why does it look like they removed all the votes but they missed Levi and lelouch
LeDOUCHE

May 18, 2021 3:15 PM

Oct 2020
Late to the party, but I'm glad mal is doing something to combat the massive bot problem. I do feel bad for Ichigo though lol.

✧ THE NIGHT SHONE UPON TWO, ME & YOU ✧ FORUM SET BY:SAINTZEPH

May 18, 2021 4:58 PM
Nov 2020
just let it go to hell like all your other ranking systems it is opinion anyway
May 19, 2021 7:02 AM

Feb 2020
I was traumatized when I noticed Ichigo in the Top 50 few days before this.
Thankfully it is fixed now 😁
May 19, 2021 11:51 AM

Dec 2018
Glad to see that MAL right away once again took care of the persistent bots boosting certain characters even after the "anti-botting recalculation" was done the first time. RIP Emilia & Chika who were rapidly being reinstated to their "previous" high positions through bots lol.

Good job in taking of the issue yet again, right away when it was needed, MAL. 😊
"There's no such thing as a painless lesson, they just don't exist. Sacrifices are necessary. You can't gain anything without losing something first. Although if you can endure that pain and walk away from it, you'll find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle. Yeah... a heart made full-metal."

~Edward Elric
May 19, 2021 1:14 PM

Aug 2020
Drizzl said:
Why does it seem like the character favourite numbers never seem to be going up?? Even with growth in this websites popularity. You'd think numbers would be increasing, quite weird.. I wonder how there bot removal system works.

because its simply bullshit... old characters from old shows has virtually no movement for a year or more and some even has less than they have a year ago

what i want to know is how sure the admins are if the deleted numbers are all bots, how sure
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

208 by hawkpelt5 »»
11 hours ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.