Forum Settings
Forums

What Anime were once considered to be among the best ever made, but not so much nowadays?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 7, 2019 8:19 PM

Jan 2016
The question itself is really subjective, can't even answer it.
Dec 7, 2019 9:25 PM

Feb 2018
From what I've read, Slayers was huge when it came out but now it's just another classic from the 90s (I see it on lists every once in a while but not often, and little discussion or mention of it unless it's a conversation about classic anime).
Dec 8, 2019 12:47 AM

Feb 2019
Mayuka said:
Nurguburu said:
I remember when ppl praised Darling in the FranXX in 2018, well before certain episodes hahahaha
"Praise"

lololololololololololololololol

he said BEFORE certain episodes. All of those have seen all 24 episodes. At episode 14, it was certainly up there with the best of the decade. If it had ended there, it may have stayed.

TheFlyingOrange said:
From what I've read, Slayers was huge when it came out but now it's just another classic from the 90s (I see it on lists every once in a while but not often, and little discussion or mention of it unless it's a conversation about classic anime).

it really was! I remember watching it growing up and it was such a huge deal. Honestly your profile pic is another. Bebop was GOAT contender for a long time. Nowadays very few people talk about it.

Dec 8, 2019 12:48 AM

Feb 2019
@FullyCharged episode 14 lol man i remember those threads. "this is definitely one of the best of the decade"
Water-sama said:
@Superns18
I was told by numerous people that FMA Brotherhood was better than the OG. I've seen some of the OG but not much.

most people will say that, that's like the consensus, but I still believe 03 was better.
Dec 8, 2019 11:39 AM

Sep 2016

I'll answer your call. You summoned me!

I am among those people who think Darling in the Franxx is still on masterpiece level, yes, even after episode 14. And since you gave it a 9, I think you kinda agree with me.

I'll tell more, I think the anime started becoming better around that episode (14).

And I found myself having a similar opinion about a lot of other shows.

SAO? It's a very common opinion that "Aincrad is good, then from episode 14 onwards it goes downhill, and S2 is not good either". To me Aincrad is good, but it's when ALO started that it started really grinding my gears.
And it never stopped from that point.

And so on.
I've developed a sort of immunity to crowd's opinions.
They say that from episode X it becomes bad? Then for me, probably, episode X will be the turning point where I will find it better and better.
The last show that did this for me was Happy Sugar Life. People started bashing it after a certain episode...but the point is that it became so good after that episode, for me.
People just have wrong opinions, and I deal with them xP

Superns18 said:
I still prefer 03 to Brotherhood

Same.
The first 27 episodes of 03 portrayed the intro way better than the first 13-14 of Brotherhood.
The drawings of Brotherhood, after seeing 03, I was nah, I prefer the older ones.
The original turn 03 took? Good.
The way they decided to end Brotherhood? The whole "final deal" was so predictable it was obvious since episode 1.
Both are very good anime. But they should have a very similar score. And for sure BH is not #1 anime of all time, lol.

Superns18 said:
SAO is objectively false. It's still the biggest ongoing anime fam. Don't let the loud minority full you. Check the sales numbers, the games, the LN's, merch etc. Mother's basement isn't the end all be all. Most people like SAO or are indifferent to it.

I absolutely agree with you.
The only thing that changed since 2011 is the number of people following the likes of MB, DigiBro & Co, basically "every anime is bad because I over analyze split hairs", and watching the anime with the intention of criticizing instead of enjoying.
SAO is still a top tier series for everyone else.
And Kawahara couldn't give a damn about a couple of salty westerners anyway, lol.
He already admitted the real flaws the show has, and acted accordingly.
And it's up to him to decide where to drive the story anyway.
And a reader/watcher should let themselves get driven by the story, not require the story going where they want. Good grief...

Back on topic.
I see a lot of names here, that I recognize. And a lot of them are still good today like they were when they started.
It's just that people have an attention span that is too short.

SAO, Clannad, Haruhi, Gurren Lagann, Bleach, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Erased, Kill La Kill, I could go on forever.

These shows are not "not good anymore", they're just forgotten by the average "I watch everything that comes out every season" person.

FullyChargedDec 8, 2019 11:42 AM
bruh
Dec 8, 2019 1:16 PM

Oct 2017
@Superns18

Nah I remember what the Frankxx boards were like three episodes in. I mean you can look for yourself. There was a lot of hostility to certain aspects in the show. The rating wasn't that high even when the community started to be more receptive towards it. I didn't really see that many people claiming it was one of the best of the decade after episode 14. Lots liked it but many still had issues with it at that point including me.
Dec 9, 2019 1:32 AM

Aug 2017
Mayuka said:
Nurguburu said:
I remember when ppl praised Darling in the FranXX in 2018, well before certain episodes hahahaha
"Praise"

lololololololololololololololol

I said "before certain episodes". Some said:

*before episode 14
*before episode 19/20.
*before episode 7/8

Those reviews were written after the last episode.
NurguburuDec 9, 2019 1:35 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 9, 2019 2:09 AM

Oct 2017
I would definitely say Death Note as it peaked at #1 and was in the top 10 for 3 years and has been falling slowly ever since. Even falling out of the top 20 in 2013.

Currently it sits at 53 which is actually one spot below Haruhi. I would imagine there are many around the time period that share a similar fate. Being on cable tv boosted a lot of series initially.
Dec 9, 2019 11:15 PM

Oct 2015
Nurguburu said:

People will still look at it favorably because of their, ahem, attraction towards Zero Two.

"If you don’t believe in yourself, no one will do it for you."
Dec 11, 2019 5:46 AM

Feb 2019
TolkienFan365 said:
@Superns18

Nah I remember what the Frankxx boards were like three episodes in. I mean you can look for yourself. There was a lot of hostility to certain aspects in the show. The rating wasn't that high even when the community started to be more receptive towards it. I didn't really see that many people claiming it was one of the best of the decade after episode 14. Lots liked it but many still had issues with it at that point including me.

Check the reddit threads at week 14. "end the show here! There's no way it can be topped!"

@FullyCharged I gave DITF a 9 because I rate most things highly if you check my average score. If I enjoy a series it's an 8, if I really enjoy it it's a 9, if I would change nothing about it it's a 10. DITF had best girl of the year, Ichigo and made me cry, so it was a 9. I also have given Fairy Gone a 10 when it's a 5.9 on here so you know, I do me. I will say that the story did get worse after ep 14 and the final arc didn't mesh with the rest of the story at all, it would be different if it were like TTGL and had that over the top storytelling already from the start, but it didn't. So when the twist came, it was like um, wtf. Zero two also completely loses her personality that made her tick. I mean there's a lot of issues with DITF post ep 14 narratively, but I still enjoyed it, so it got a 9, simple as. You'll also note I have Fate 06 as being the best of the Fate series which is similarly criticised, so yea, me rating stuff high is normal.

Dec 11, 2019 6:24 AM
Dec 2018
Psajdak said:
As far as I am concerned, Haruhi was always crap.

Same Thing i was about To say. I don't get it Why people Think suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu is so Great.
Dec 11, 2019 11:29 AM

Oct 2017
Superns18 said:
TolkienFan365 said:
@Superns18

Check the reddit threads at week 14. "end the show here! There's no way it can be topped!"

@FullyCharged I gave DITF a 9 because I rate most things highly if you check my average score. If I enjoy a series it's an 8, if I really enjoy it it's a 9, if I would change nothing about it it's a 10. DITF had best girl of the year, Ichigo and made me cry, so it was a 9. I also have given Fairy Gone a 10 when it's a 5.9 on here so you know, I do me. I will say that the story did get worse after ep 14 and the final arc didn't mesh with the rest of the story at all, it would be different if it were like TTGL and had that over the top storytelling already from the start, but it didn't. So when the twist came, it was like um, wtf. Zero two also completely loses her personality that made her tick. I mean there's a lot of issues with DITF post ep 14 narratively, but I still enjoyed it, so it got a 9, simple as. You'll also note I have Fate 06 as being the best of the Fate series which is similarly criticised, so yea, me rating stuff high is normal.

I was talking more on here. You can look at MAL's discussion they were pretty toxic around the show early on. Reddit I can't really speak for.
Dec 11, 2019 3:24 PM

Sep 2016
Superns18 said:
You'll also note I have Fate 06 as being the best of the Fate series which is similarly criticised, so yea, me rating stuff high is normal.

I also gave Fate 06 a 9/10.
My ratings are a little more loose so my 9/10 is probably "higher" rating.
Still my favourite Fate Anime series. Best one, I agree.
bruh
Dec 15, 2019 3:56 AM

Feb 2019
@FullyCharged wait a minute, another person who thinks Fate 06 is the best??? wtf. No way, where you been all my life?
Dec 15, 2019 12:32 PM

Sep 2016
Superns18 said:
@FullyCharged wait a minute, another person who thinks Fate 06 is the best??? wtf. No way, where you been all my life?

I approached the Fate series exactly 2 years ago so...I've been oblivious for all your life minus 2 years :P
bruh
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

3 by FanofAction »»
3 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

4 by Rinrinka »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

47 by LostSpectre »»
13 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

136 by FanofAction »»
40 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 4 hours ago

18 by Vaturna »»
56 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.