Forum Settings
Forums

Letting users submit content to database without waiting on moderators' confirmation...

New
Dec 7, 2019 3:12 AM
May 2018
Considering how long it takes nowadays for anything to be reviewed by staff - months at least, not to mention there is simply more content to be added, or edited than ever (there used to be time when I would have my submissions confirmed in matter of hours, minutes even), I was wondering if it would be possible to completely remove the need for moderators to first check validity of submitted content.

At least for users who have a good record of adding/editing anime, manga, people, characters, etc...

Dec 7, 2019 3:18 AM

Jan 2009
ye and they can grant those good reputable users as some sort of semi moderator status like maybe name it "database contributor" and they can lose that status anytime if they abuse the power
Dec 7, 2019 3:34 AM
May 2018
deg said:
and they can lose that status anytime if they abuse the power
What I have in mind is pretty similar to what people can do on all those Wiki pages where everyone is free to edit.

Sure, there may be those who are up to no good, but from my own experience, I don't remember noticing any mistakes when I would compares some Wiki page, with, dunno, series, or game which I myself experienced.

IMO, there are much more people who want to do correct thing, and to be honest, I think the only part of MAL some people want to mess with are ratings.
Dec 7, 2019 3:36 AM

Jan 2009
@Psajdak

im not familiar with wikipedia editing but i think it works good for them so MAL can learn from it too
Dec 7, 2019 10:50 PM

Dec 2016

[insert generic whining by one of the mods about how we should be patient as they're doing all this for free, how they have busy lives and how hiring competent staff takes a lot more time than it actually does]
Dec 8, 2019 3:57 AM

May 2014
Thread moved from support board
Dec 8, 2019 8:39 AM
Manga DB Admin
Jun 2010
While I can't speak for other sections of the database, I have been following user submissions for the manga database since long before I became a mod (in-training), and I can tell you that 99% of all users simply cannot contribute accurate information. For example, out of the hundreds of people who submit new entries, I can count on one hand the number of people who include accurate publishing information with their submissions. If a large number of users had the power to directly edit and add to the database, the quality of entries would drop like a rock, probably permanently because as everyone knows, there wouldn't be enough mods to fix all the mistakes that everyone will make.

While I'm sure that a majority of users couldn't care less about whether entries have mistakes or not, the quality of our database is one of our strong points, and a point of pride for me personally. The scale of a measure like this would be inversely proportional to the quality of the database moving forward, and personally I just don't see such a compromise happening. I do think that the idea could work on a smaller, more focused scale in the vein of MAL Rewrite, but that wouldn't be the panacea you're looking for.
Dec 8, 2019 5:09 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Only for a select group of trusted users, do I think this is a reasonable suggestion. There are some prolific contributors who don't want the extra responsibility of reviewing others' work if given the opportunity to become a moderator, and a new role in-between a moderator and normal user (such as "Trusted Contributor"), would be a nice middle ground. A temporary solution would be to create a list of prolific, accurate contributors and commit to reviewing their work on a some periodic (maybe weekly or even biweekly) basis, to acknowledge their dedication to improving the website. However, I respect MAL's current stance allow moderators the freedom to work on what they choose, given they are all volunteers.
KwanthemasterDec 8, 2019 5:13 PM
Dec 9, 2019 2:33 AM

Oct 2010
Nah. Increasing the number of DB mods is a better idea. Anybody can submit stuff to the database already, so it is necessary that it's reviewed by the staff.
Dec 9, 2019 3:44 AM
Jul 2018
@Denji

Thanks for your hard work. You are one of mods who take submission seriously. I'm, as a user, thankful for that.
Sadly, some mods are by far less dedicated. Even if you ask them in person and the edit is very obvious and can be check easily, they'll ignore us.
removed-userDec 9, 2019 3:57 AM
Dec 10, 2019 1:36 AM

Oct 2017
And those "group of trusted people" could simply apply for the moderator position. As it's necessary to review everything that is submitted.
Dec 10, 2019 12:36 PM

Feb 2010
KatsutoSaki said:
And those "group of trusted people" could simply apply for the moderator position. As it's necessary to review everything that is submitted.

As a former DB mod I can tell you that being able to submit your own submissions and having to wade through hundreds of badly written user submissions with faulty or missing information, with the same entries being in the queue 20, 30 times whenever something new gets announced, is just not the same. It really sucks out the motivation from you having to go through hundreds of these mostly useless submissions.

I'd still be contributing to the DB if I could just make my own submissions and DB edits without the responsability of having to wade through those of random people as well. But I felt like that wasn't really enough to call myself a mod if I just used the rights to make my own submissions go through quicker so I quit after a year and a half or so of sifting throuh thousands, if not tens of thousands user submissions.

So I do think the suggestion of having 'trusted users' who have more rights than the average user when it comes to editing the DB. The process of applying could be similar to that of a mod and should be just as rigorous, but without the expectation that these people clean up after the userbase and their mostly unusable submissions.

But that aside, I think the queue has shrunk significantly in recent months, with a lot of stuff being approved. At least for anime. It's not as bad as it used to be. The mods are trying their best (at least the DB mods).
I probably regret this post by now.

More topics from this board

» re-watched titles

macmetric - 44 minutes ago

0 by macmetric »»
44 minutes ago

» Are there any plans to revamp mal on mobile?

Akuya - Today

2 by Alexioos95 »»
11 hours ago

» An option to hide Explicit Genres from anime/manga list

animegamer245 - May 8

3 by traed »»
Yesterday, 12:22 AM

» Add an option to view (and display) ratings with a 5 star scale (allowing half stars)

Bergioyn - May 6

3 by Bergioyn »»
May 7, 2:10 PM

» New category for manga lists

Aristotle417 - May 7

0 by Aristotle417 »»
May 7, 11:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.