Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 18, 2019 10:21 PM

Jul 2007
Will anime ever stop forcing in ecchi elements whenever possible? I have no problem with ecchi in purely ecchi shows. Ecchi is a genre and many people love it and that's fine. However, I am getting sick of the obligatory boob gropes and molestations in anime where ecchi isn't needed. Usually in serious shows where brief ecchi scenes are injected in an attempt to "lighten the mood." Similar to "humor" in shows that aren't primarily comedies (such as the short "jokes" in FMA), these scenes often just come off as fucking frustrating and a waste of time.

Imo these needless subversions just hurt the show and ruin the pacing and impact of the plot. I know ecchi is there to make money, but will it ever go away in shows that don't need it?
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 18, 2019 10:22 PM

Jul 2015
will america ever stop prioritizing violence?
Aug 18, 2019 10:23 PM
Aug 2019
It is their culture, so I don't think so.
Aug 18, 2019 10:26 PM

Jul 2007
Bunsuke said:
America doesnt prioritizing violence enough. American shows are shit so I watch amine for the violence and gore. American media is only good for comedy.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Aug 18, 2019 10:26 PM

Sep 2018
It's part of their culture and a lot of things are heavily fetishized in Japanese culture and that's reflected in anime.

I agree that it's often unnecessarily inserted and can take away from a show, but it's here to stay :/
Blanks.
Aug 18, 2019 10:31 PM

Jul 2007
BallisticRiot said:
It's part of their culture and a lot of things are heavily fetishized in Japanese culture and that's reflected in anime.

I agree that it's often unnecessarily inserted and can take away from a show, but it's here to stay :/

Their culture can be pretty irritating. Trips to the beach, hot springs, festivals, club activities, I'm fucking sick of all of it. However, despite this japan seems to create the most amount of media that appeals to me compared to media from other places of the world. Even so, it's frustrating seeing the same cliches again and again and again.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Aug 18, 2019 10:37 PM

Jul 2007
Bunsuke said:

I'm waiting for you to possibly defend why american media isn't absolute fucking trash, since you felt the need to bring it up. You must love hollywood films.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Aug 18, 2019 10:42 PM

Jan 2009
sex sells

lol thats the cliche answer for this kind of thread

@EndlessMaria

lol i wasnt trying to be mean to you or this thread of yours btw and you got profile comments disabled so i just posted here

thats just an added filler for minimum character limit
degAug 18, 2019 10:47 PM
Aug 18, 2019 10:50 PM

Jul 2007
ugmon said:
sex sells

lol thats the cliche answer for this kind of thread

@EndlessMaria

lol i wasnt trying to be mean to you or this thread of yours btw and you got profile comments disabled so i just posted here

thats just an added filler for minimum character limit

Lol i didnt take offense. I see these responses often and i could tell it was a joke.

and woops i forgot i disabled profile comments. i hold a lot of controversial opinions so i disabled comments because a lot of retards on here like to call me a troll and it gets annoying
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Aug 18, 2019 11:11 PM

Jul 2017
Sex sells. It's really as simple as that. And as long as people keep watching it, it probably won't stop without a serious change in Japanese culture, and that most likely won't happen anytime soon.
Once you realize that what others think about what you enjoy doesn't matter, you will finally be free

Aug 18, 2019 11:14 PM
Jul 2018
Sounds like a cliche answer, but don't like it, don't watch? Their culture, they choose what they want to consume, and fanservice is what sells a lot. Not the biggest thing there, but definitely a market.
Aug 18, 2019 11:16 PM

Apr 2015
"Will anime ever stop forcing in ecchi elements whenever possible?"I think that statement is hyperbolic. While there are ecchi elements in anime, I think that it isn't quite an epidemic as some are suggesting. Its more like fans are hyper sensitive and divisive in regards to ecchi/sexual fanservice than other types of fanservice.

For instance, I am watching 19 or so shows this season:

I would consider three as "Ecchi" Shows: Miru Tights, Magical Sempai, and Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?"

Taking those three out of the equation, I am watching 16 Non-Ecchi shows. Out of those 16, I would consider three as having significant ecchi content:
A Certain Scientific Accelerator - Thus far, two characters have skimpy designs. One fights in their underwear, and another fights in a giant bunny armor with their torso and hip area inexplicably exposed (while also wearing just underwear). Questionable usage of ecchi.

Are You Lost? - High school girls shipwrecked and stuck in a tropical island. I would have expected this show to be full ecchi since the premise and setting (lack of other clothes/laundry) would make sense. However, while there is partial nudity (mostly in diving or beach scenes where they're foraging for food), it doesn't feel like its mainly used for titillation. Sensible use of ecchi?

Fire Force - At the start, there was light usage of ecchi elements here and there. Then Tamaki Kotatsu is introduced as a walking ecchi machine. To me, due to mostly her presence, Fire Force has the most jarring ecchi element in a non-ecchi show. As far as I recall, this is the single instance of boob groping from this season. Extremely questionable usage of ecchi.

I don't know... I just don't feel like ecchi elements as prevalent as people make it to be.
Aug 18, 2019 11:17 PM

Oct 2018
Hopefully not.

I wanna see @IpreferEcchi 's two sense on this
youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
73 6f 6d 65 74 68 69 6e 67 73 20 6f 64 64 20 61 62 6f 75 74 20 6d 79 20 70 72 6f 66 69 6c 65 0d 0a
Aug 18, 2019 11:23 PM
Jul 2018
@Graumann Eh, 6 out of 19 shows having some kind of ecchi content is a decent amount, about a third. I'm not complaining, to say the least.
Aug 18, 2019 11:24 PM

Jun 2015
BallisticRiot said:
a lot of things are heavily fetishized in Japanese culture and that's reflected in anime.
"A lot of things" is a bit of an understatement. Did you know there is not one, but two (that I know of, at least) anime about sexy battle ships?
That's what happens when you leave a group of people isolated on a tiny island for thousands of years. They end up with peculiar tastes... and they want to fuck ships.
Aug 18, 2019 11:30 PM

Jul 2007
filmtoaster2 said:
Sounds like a cliche answer, but don't like it, don't watch? Their culture, they choose what they want to consume, and fanservice is what sells a lot. Not the biggest thing there, but definitely a market.

If their culture is trash then I have the right to treat it as such.

My native culture is trash too. Fuck em all.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Aug 18, 2019 11:33 PM

Jul 2016
ohml said:
Hopefully not.

I wanna see @IpreferEcchi 's two sense on this
EndlessMaria said:
filmtoaster2 said:

If their culture is trash then I have the right to treat it as such.

I want to see culture like that everywhere!
Aug 18, 2019 11:34 PM

Apr 2015
filmtoaster2 said:
@Graumann Eh, 6 out of 19 shows having some kind of ecchi content is a decent amount, about a third. I'm not complaining, to say the least.

Since I mostly consume anime, I'm not sure if that's a high amount relative to other medium. I would be curious to find out since the only live action TV shows I watch are food shows. In terms of other type of shows, I did watch Game of Thrones and that had excessive ecchi elements.

Though you're right, 1/3 is a sizable amount.
Aug 18, 2019 11:36 PM

Jul 2007
Graumann said:
filmtoaster2 said:

Since I mostly consume anime, I'm not sure if that's a high amount relative to other medium. I would be curious to find out since the only live action TV shows I watch are food shows. In terms of other type of shows, I did watch Game of Thrones and that had excessive ecchi elements.

Though you're right, 1/3 is a sizable amount.

I only watch cooking shows and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (which is satire.)

I hated Game of Thrones because it was just pointless smut to me.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Aug 18, 2019 11:40 PM

Oct 2013
Will people ever stop complaining about ecchi? I thought the new thing to complain about was too much isekai now.
FanofActionAug 18, 2019 11:43 PM
Aug 18, 2019 11:42 PM

Jul 2007
Setsuei said:
Will people ever stop complaining about ecchi? I thought the new thing to complain about was too much isekai now.

ecchi is the cancer that refuses to die until enough people complain about it to make it a serious issue, then it can finally be put away for good and be remembered as an embarrassing chapter of cultural history.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Aug 18, 2019 11:47 PM
Jul 2018
EndlessMaria said:
Setsuei said:

ecchi is the cancer that refuses to die until enough people complain about it to make it a serious issue, then it can finally be put away for good and be remembered as an embarrassing chapter of cultural history.

If you actually think Japan cares, or even hears your complaints, dude, I have some bad news for you.
Aug 18, 2019 11:49 PM

Dec 2010
remember, anime is primarily made for the japanese, they're the target audience, so producers will continue making them as long as the content is selling...

btw, i'm not a fan of ecchi either, but it's something we (westerners) have to learn to cope with
Aug 18, 2019 11:49 PM

May 2016
Probably not, anything sexual related makes money and that by itself is not going anywhere. I don't mind ecchi elements as long as its written or done well. Honestly, it's not really that much of an issue and it can easily be avoided if you don't watch.
"It's not like I wanted a signature or anything...BAKA!" - A MAL user.
Aug 18, 2019 11:51 PM
Jul 2018
I don't really like ecchi either, but I'm very much a believer in "don't like, don't watch". I think there should be more variety for sure, but ecchi's really easy to avoid and most really aren't worth watching unless you're specifically... into that.
Aug 18, 2019 11:52 PM

Oct 2013
EndlessMaria said:
Setsuei said:

Here's the thing though...it's not that serious of an issue. Something shouldn't just go away completely just because it upsets a few people. It's there for the people who still enjoy it, so it's not going anywhere anytime soon.
FanofActionAug 18, 2019 11:56 PM
Aug 18, 2019 11:52 PM

Sep 2014
Nah, I hope not. It's part of the mediums quirks and I fucking love it. In fact, I rarely if ever at all felt it was in any way detrimental to the shows, so I can't relate at all. Maybe different cultural upbringing, I don't know, but I never felt it's such a weird evil thing that needs to come with some specific reasoning and excuse to exist.

In fact, it's one of the things that makes me stay with the medium. Not even ecchi scenes/humour itself, I don't particularly care about these. But just things like revealing outfits, cleavages, bikini armours, things like Tamaki wears in fire force. I like these. That's one of the reasons I'm more willing to get into japanese stuff, anime and mobage. And I hate that there is much less of it in western games and other media nowadays (or even eastern games that got big in the west). Sick of people coming into my fighting game and telling me this or that character shouldn't wear this outfit. FUCK IT.
ImaishiAug 18, 2019 11:58 PM
Aug 19, 2019 12:11 AM
Jul 2018
Looks like we have another prude here, how on earth can anyone think boobs=bad but violence and gore=good.

I hope Japan makes even more Ecchi because there isn't enough and they turn it up to 11 like in Manyuu Hikenchou just to annoy the femnazis..
Aug 19, 2019 12:14 AM

Jul 2007
QPR said:
Looks like we have another prude here, how on earth can anyone think boobs=bad but violence and gore=good.

I hope Japan makes even more Ecchi because there isn't enough and they turn it up to 11 like in Manyuu Hikenchou just to annoy the femnazis..

Life creation is disgusting and just leads more lives to suffering. Violence puts and end to life, thus violence is righteous!

this is a joke, btw.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Aug 19, 2019 12:15 AM

Jul 2007
AraragiKoyomi said:
remember, anime is primarily made for the japanese, they're the target audience, so producers will continue making them as long as the content is selling...

btw, i'm not a fan of ecchi either, but it's something we (westerners) have to learn to cope with

I've been watching anime since the mid 90's and I have been able to deal with it long enough, but now it's finally beginning to become annoying due to be so over done.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Aug 19, 2019 12:17 AM

Jan 2008
As many have said, it makes money, so probably it won't stop any time soon.

If you don't like it, just watch shows that don't have it or just try to ignore it if the show is good otherwise.

I don't have any better advice. I hate it too, by the way.
Aug 19, 2019 1:02 AM

Jul 2007
@ThatRazorGuy @DeadlyRaven please close this thread. it will just become a shit storm most likely
EndlessMariaAug 19, 2019 1:12 AM
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Aug 19, 2019 1:04 AM

Oct 2010
"Short jokes" is not "prioritizing". It's "short jokes". I don't feel you are reacting appropriately to how prevalent this is and anybody will tell you that actual ecchi shows, or even shows were ecchi elements are prevalent, are not exactly at their most common nowadays.
Aug 19, 2019 1:08 AM

Jul 2007
jal90 said:
"Short jokes" is not "prioritizing". It's "short jokes". I don't feel you are reacting appropriately to how prevalent this is and anybody will tell you that actual ecchi shows, or even shows were ecchi elements are prevalent, are not exactly at their most common nowadays.

Then why is it a priority to inject ecchi into shows that don't need it in the same way comedic "jokes" are always added in out of place in various anime?
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Aug 19, 2019 1:11 AM

Dec 2018
I can understand where you are coming from, but personally, I can't relate much to it. In general, I don't mind fanservice, whatever type in whatever show, and it doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the show. It's mostly just a 'okay that happened', but even so, I have seen a few non-ecchi anime where I didn't like the fanservice at all. I've seen enough anime to have come to point where I more or less 'wait' for it to happen sooner or later.

I would agree that it is repetitive and oversaturated but I wouldn't agree with getting rid of all fanservice moments in non-ecchi anime.
Oregairu is life
Aug 19, 2019 1:15 AM
Jul 2018
EndlessMaria said:

Imo these needless subversions just hurt the show and ruin the pacing and impact of the plot. I know ecchi is there to make money, but will it ever go away in shows that don't need it?

Nope, it will never go away, ever...............
Aug 19, 2019 1:18 AM

Apr 2013
I only remember two scenes that could be called ecchi in FMA, Winry changing while Edward walks in and a close-up of Lust's cleavage. I can agree that those scenes weren't really necessary, but also they did not bother me.
Aug 19, 2019 1:22 AM

Oct 2010
EndlessMaria said:
jal90 said:

Then why is it a priority to inject ecchi into shows that don't need it in the same way comedic "jokes" are always added in out of place in various anime?

A priority? They are short moments in random episodes. You are misusing the word "priority" here I think.

I'm not even counting here that I don't think I have seen stuff like boob grabbing in a long while, and the very little fanservice I've seen in shows not intended as such was a couple frames, because that's personal experience. But from your own examples, calling very sporadic content a "priority" sounds like an overreaction to me.
Aug 19, 2019 1:37 AM
May 2016
EndlessMaria said:
Will anime ever stop forcing in ecchi elements whenever possible? I have no problem with ecchi in purely ecchi shows. Ecchi is a genre and many people love it and that's fine. However, I am getting sick of the obligatory boob gropes and molestations in anime where ecchi isn't needed. Usually in serious shows where brief ecchi scenes are injected in an attempt to "lighten the mood." Similar to "humor" in shows that aren't primarily comedies (such as the short "jokes" in FMA), these scenes often just come off as fucking frustrating and a waste of time.

It’s never forced into any anime
Sex sells plan and simple

EndlessMaria said:

and woops i forgot i disabled profile comments. i hold a lot of controversial opinions so i disabled comments because a lot of retards on here like to call me a troll and it gets annoying

Translation I need to stay in my safe space because other peoples options TRIGGER ME!!!!

EndlessMaria said:
Setsuei said:

Says this while having every sexist shoujo,josei, reverse harem series
Nerdanimefan1992Aug 19, 2019 1:45 AM
Aug 19, 2019 1:41 AM

Jan 2009
@Nerdanimefan1992

you quoted the wrong user there lol i was confused at first
Aug 19, 2019 1:46 AM
Jul 2018
Nerdanimefan1992 said:

Explain to the class how the entire demographic of shojo and josei are sexist while ecchi is not. I genuinely want to hear your logic.

Unless you mean like Diabolik Lovers and stuff like those other shit where they treat the heroine like dirt and it's supposed to be romantic, then I'd agree with you on that part. And if that is the case why you didn't say that from the very beginning.

Nerdanimefan1992 said:

Translation I need to stay in my safe space because other peoples options TRIGGER ME!!!!

Says the one who bitches and whines at the mere existence of something for a female target audience every time in every single announcement thread, like a Swiss watch.
removed-userAug 19, 2019 1:53 AM
Aug 19, 2019 1:54 AM
May 2016
HeruruMeruru said:
Nerdanimefan1992 said:

Explain to the class how the entire demographic of shojo and josei are sexist while ecchi is not. I genuinely want to hear your logic.

Unless you mean like Diabolik Lovers and stuff like those other shit where they treat the heroine like dirt and it's supposed to be romantic, then I'd agree with you on that part. And if that is the case why you didn't say that from the very beginning.

All the male characters are just sex objects with no personality like the anime you mentioned as an example
Aug 19, 2019 1:56 AM
Jul 2018
Nerdanimefan1992 said:
HeruruMeruru said:

All the male characters are just sex objects with no personality like the anime you mentioned as an example

And the women in ecchi are not treated as sex objects? And the girls in modern isekai are not treated like trophies? As in making them literal slaves? And the bland-ass no personality male MCs in harems are not bland as wonder bread?

Are you listening to yourself?

Also you said the very existence of Collar x Malice is "sad", even though it is a highly acclaimed otome game with a good plot and a great likable MC, so it's clear the very sight of something that is not a big tiddy waifu leads you to make these assumptions.

Also there are shojo and josei that hardly have prominent male characters in them to begin with. You telling me Michiko & Hatchin, Marimite, Kodocha, Princess Jellyfish, Sailor Moon and the like is nothing but fangirl eye candy? What planet are you from.
removed-userAug 19, 2019 2:11 AM
Aug 19, 2019 2:01 AM

Jul 2016
Yeah, I get that. Especially in shows aimed at kids, it just feels out of place, or like they have a quota to fill. This children's superhero show legally can't go to air unless at least one female character's been groped. Bonus points if it's by a creepy old dude. I don't mind it as much if the character's are into it, but again, kids shows so sex doesn't exist
Aug 19, 2019 2:11 AM
May 2016
HeruruMeruru said:
Nerdanimefan1992 said:

And the women in ecchi are not treated as sex objects? And the girls in modern isekai are not treated like trophies?

The female characters are sexualised not objectifyed
Aug 19, 2019 2:14 AM
Jul 2018
Nerdanimefan1992 said:
HeruruMeruru said:

And the women in ecchi are not treated as sex objects? And the girls in modern isekai are not treated like trophies?

Nerdanimefan1992 said:
HeruruMeruru said:

There's currently a trend in isekai where the guy's harem are SLAVES. How is that not objectification? Reki Kawahara literally admitted in an interview that he has a problem of writing female characters as trophies to be won. And how is something like Yona of the Dawn or Code Realize objectifying men in any way? Because a guy simply being good looking is objectification?

Also way to ignore the entire rest of my argument. Shojo and josei /=/ reverse harem. Hell, Yona and Ouran are really the only reverse harem anime I care for outside of otome games, an entirely different medium, but you lumping in AN ENTIRE DEMOGRAPHIC and also coming into every thread for a female targeted work and pooping on people's parades like a Swiss clock is really dickish. Stay in your lane and I'll stay in mine.
removed-userAug 19, 2019 2:25 AM
Aug 19, 2019 2:19 AM

Jul 2016
Nerdanimefan1992 said:
HeruruMeruru said:

And your evidence for this is...

There's no way you can claim that in the whole history of ecchi anime there's never been objectification of any kind while also claiming that every quote "shoujo,josei, reverse harem series" is just objectification of men. I don't get what you're trying to say, mate
Aug 19, 2019 2:29 AM
Jul 2018

There is simply no hope left but ecchi can be funny and good too. Eg series above has the cream of the crop of Japanese voice actors of our beloved series. I felt sad when I watched the 95th and last episode. Modern ecchi does not get such treatment.
Aug 19, 2019 2:33 AM
Dec 2013
Just stop watching the shows you have a problem with. Easy.
Aug 19, 2019 2:49 AM
Jul 2018
Let's not resort to name calling and insults.

Dude's irritating me with his constant clockwork "no fun allowed if you're not a horny straight dude" shit but I'm trying to remain calm and rational. I would appreciate if he would address all of my rebuttals, though and not just snip out and completely ignore 80% of the post.
removed-userAug 19, 2019 9:45 PM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you dislike low-resolution anime shows?

DesuMaiden - 9 hours ago

42 by Jonas-K »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » If all pirated sites were to shut down, would you be willing to pay for anime? ( 1 2 3 )

All_Knowing - Sep 7

149 by DreamingBeats »»
2 minutes ago

» Why doesn't most psychological anime explore the psyche of their characters?

Deathlydash - 8 hours ago

11 by mshfqtny »»
4 minutes ago

» What seasonal anime had disappointed you over time this season?

Zakatsuki_ - 10 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
9 minutes ago

» Changes Over Time In The Way You Use MAL Ratings

Quadruple_Oi - Sep 20

45 by Quadruple_Oi »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.