Forum Settings
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 12, 2019 5:48 AM
May 2017
I feel as though Vinland Saga reached its peak and is gradually getting worse and worse as the chapters goes by, especially after the Baltic Sea War arc.

My reasoning for this is because of the influx of characters getting introduced and Thorkell being reduced to basically comedic relief in a manga that's supposed to have more serious undertones. Out of the introduced characters, the only one that honestly stuck with me was Sigurd and that's about it. Everyone else just don't really have any substance to them.

Honestly, I'm really anxious cause this amazing manga is turning more and more into a poorly done Vagabond wannabe.
Aug 12, 2019 10:48 AM
Jul 2018
Well, the current focus on Sigurd is looking pretty good though. Baltic Sea war arc was weaker than the previous arcs yes, mainly because of characters who don't have much relevance to the story. At the same time, it added some necessary growth for Thorfinn's ideologies so it had some good aspects too. Vinland shines the most during its character arcs, so hopefully the current arc means that it's going to maintain that previous quality again.
Aug 12, 2019 6:12 PM
May 2017
Frosty- said:
At the same time, it added some necessary growth for Thorfinn's ideologies so it had some good aspects too.

I do agree that it did add some character development for Thorfinn but, what else is there at this point? The only thing they could possibly throw at Thorfinn that would make his ideology waver in comparison to this is something possibly happening to Gudrid in the future. Which is why I feel as though Thorfinn's character dvelopment is going to become stagnant after this.

Frosty- said:
mainly because of characters who don't have much relevance to the story.

It's not just because of this that I feel worried. Before and during the farmland arc, most of the characters had personalities of their own which made them endearing. Now they just serve as fodder for Thorfinn and its extremely disappointing to see. Not to mention they all resemble characters and events from Vagabond down to the letter. Except Sigurd, Sigurd might be the only good character to come out of these arcs after farmland.
Aug 12, 2019 6:35 PM
Jul 2018
For me, Vinland Saga is still great. Sure, not quite as exciting as the Askeladd arc, but that makes sense, because that arc was a war arc. I don't understand how the characters serve as "fodder" for Thorfinn either.
Aug 12, 2019 7:29 PM
May 2017
HopefulNihilist said:
I don't understand how the characters serve as "fodder" for Thorfinn either.

Think of it this way, every character before and during farmland had personalities of their own and they showed it. After that however, they feel lifeless and simply just exist to have Thorfinn grow and or make him look more as though he's turned over a new leaf which he has. For god's sake dude, there's even a damn baby in the mix which adds nothing to the story, has no personality, and simply exists for the sake of making Thorfinn look more like his father.

I loved the Askeladd arc yeah, but I also love the farmland arc. I don't care about the war dynamic as much as I care about the characters. However as I've said before it feels as though the series is going downhill also because of the lack of quality concerning the new characters. Also don't even get me started on what happened to Thorkell, his character got degraded into just a damn clown now to force laughter in a situation that doesn't even warrant it...
Aug 12, 2019 8:10 PM
Jul 2018
DoctusRex said:
HopefulNihilist said:
I don't understand how the characters serve as "fodder" for Thorfinn either.

Think of it this way, every character before and during farmland had personalities of their own and they showed it. After that however, they feel lifeless and simply just exist to have Thorfinn grow and or make him look more as though he's turned over a new leaf which he has. For god's sake dude, there's even a damn baby in the mix which adds nothing to the story, has no personality, and simply exists for the sake of making Thorfinn look more like his father.

I loved the Askeladd arc yeah, but I also love the farmland arc. I don't care about the war dynamic as much as I care about the characters. However as I've said before it feels as though the series is going downhill also because of the lack of quality concerning the new characters. Also don't even get me started on what happened to Thorkell, his character got degraded into just a damn clown now to force laughter in a situation that doesn't even warrant it...

I don't understand how the characters lack personality. Don't they act the way they always did? Also, Thorkell was always a clown, wasn't he?
Aug 12, 2019 8:24 PM
May 2017
HopefulNihilist said:
DoctusRex said:

I don't understand how the characters lack personality. Don't they act the way they always did? Also, Thorkell was always a clown, wasn't he?

Yeah, I agree that they are acting they way they always did and it's also one of the reasons why I think they lack personality. Take Hild for example, she's gone through something similar to Thorfinn because of Thorfinn and yet, after her arc nothing happens. We don't see anything resembling an internal struggle, nor do we even see her develop beyond that of "If Thorfinn does something I'ma kill him". She literally just exists, and I wouldn't even call her an anchor for Thorfinn just in case he goes into a blind rage like he did during the Baltic Sea War arc when he confronted Floki. She literally just exists for the sake of existing. The only time I feel as though she even resembled a developed character was when she decided that she would shoot Thorfinn if she felt like he was just a beast (before the duel with Thorkell) instead of just outright shooting if he killed someone.

Yeah, I definitely agree that Thorkell was always a clown but it wasn't to THIS extent. During the climax he literally made a shining reference and wrestled damn sasquatch, and after that he started pouting like a baby. It wasn't even remotely funny, and it honestly killed the mood.
DoctusRexAug 12, 2019 8:28 PM
Aug 12, 2019 8:44 PM

Aug 2015
Yeah to me it feels like, recent Berserk. But not done as well? For me personally, I don't think Vinland Saga will ever return to the fantastic shit that was the first arc. At least my boy Canute is still doing pretty interesting shit in my mind. One of my favorite character progressions ever.

Aug 12, 2019 8:57 PM
May 2017
Loknir said:
Yeah to me it feels like, recent Berserk. But not done as well? For me personally, I don't think Vinland Saga will ever return to the fantastic shit that was the first arc. At least my boy Canute is still doing pretty interesting shit in my mind. One of my favorite character progressions ever.

I know exactly what you mean. After Golden Age, Berserk started to fall. Even after that though I still love Berserk and view it as a masterpiece but that's just because of my bias but honestly it's not that misplaced. In my case, I love the Askeladd arc and the Farmland arc which is why I'm highly disappointed in the recent arcs to the point that I feel like its a poorly done Vagabond wannabe.

As a side note, I also second Canute. The way he grew as a character is one of the best in the series. Though I think in terms of characters I prefer Thorfinn and Askeladd over Canute. Askeladd is one of the best antagonists I've read in a series and it blows my mind.
Aug 12, 2019 9:15 PM

Jan 2014
Yeah, it's still a very great manga but a definite step-down from the earlier arc. I know that the changes is to make a sharp contrast to thorfinn's war days with his pacifist version but i would love to have the tension back again to this series
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Aug 12, 2019 9:19 PM
Jul 2019
In his interview last few weeks Yukimura stated that what he really wanted to draw/write will start from now and the story will become more interesting.

I still believe in him, next arc maybe the characters will evolve much better, no need to rush
Iori-Yagami8Aug 12, 2019 9:29 PM
Aug 12, 2019 11:26 PM

Oct 2013
I'm still deciding whether I should just continue the manga where I left off, or continue the anime until its finish and then go back to the manga.

I'm also really interested in reading the controversial "farm arc"
Aug 13, 2019 1:41 AM
May 2017
keragamming said:
I'm still deciding whether I should just continue the manga where I left off, or continue the anime until its finish and then go back to the manga.

I'm also really interested in reading the controversial "farm arc"

I'd say you should continue reading, and decide whether or not you wanna continue after the farm arc. However, in my opinion I feel like the Askeladd arc and the Farmland arc are the best ones in the series so I definitely recommend you check it out.
Aug 13, 2019 1:57 AM

Nov 2011
Yeah, Farmland is the best arc (the best moment is still the climax of prologue though). I also think Vinland Saga is getting boring in Baltic Sea War Arc (I am not reading it in recent few months), maybe I just can't wait for Thorfinn and others go to Constantinople and then of course Vinland.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 13, 2019 5:01 PM

Feb 2019
Well. I don't say that the current arc is bad, but it's not on the level of greatness of the War arc and Farm arc. This how I would rate them:
War arc: 9/10
Farm arc: 10/10
Baltic arc: 7,5/10
Aug 14, 2019 12:52 AM

May 2015
overall i liked this better than the prologue arc, and i think that the tone of the manga follow thorfinn state of mind is a nice touch,the manga isn't supposed to be always serious,the first arc was serious because thorfinn was like that,now that thorfinn is different from his past self there's no need to be always serious.
Aug 15, 2019 2:52 AM

Apr 2007
i agree such a fall from grace...

I think it started to lose its identity after the farm arc...oh well must drop this for now till more chapters
Aug 21, 2019 2:36 PM

Aug 2015
Marrone said:
Loknir said:

DoctusRex said:

I know exactly what you mean. After Golden Age, Berserk started to fall. Even after that though I still love Berserk and view it as a masterpiece but that's just because of my bias but honestly it's not that misplaced. In my case, I love the Askeladd arc and the Farmland arc which is why I'm highly disappointed in the recent arcs to the point that I feel like its a poorly done Vagabond wannabe.

As a side note, I also second Canute. The way he grew as a character is one of the best in the series. Though I think in terms of characters I prefer Thorfinn and Askeladd over Canute. Askeladd is one of the best antagonists I've read in a series and it blows my mind.

According to Yukimura in a recent interview which u can watch on Youtube released by the anime committee the story is about to become interesting and what he wanted to write starts from now. What we've seen so far has been a set up as he says the story is starting now.

You guys are too quick to judge the entire manga based off ONE ARC. Like other series dont have dips here and there. The dip in quality isnt even as bad as berserk which has been mediocre for several arcs. Next arc in Greece I expect good things for Vinland. Expect to see Varangian Vikings which will be dope. And Hild will obviously get character development in the next arc, you think she will remain this way forever? Come on she was introduced last arc give it time. Thorfinn has a long way to go before he learns how to confront violence as well. And no its not a vagabond wannabe.

Never said I hated or dislike the newest chapters, that I just enjoyed the 1st arc the best. I just felt like it was slowing down a bit for me especially since the farm arc was mostly dialogue. Also Berserk's new chapters are good it's just since Berserk isn't finished it just feels fucking annoying to read it imo. I still LOVE Berserk, I just wish Miura would hurry the fuck up, it's not good that only 350 chapters exist after 30 years.

Aug 23, 2019 1:19 PM

Dec 2016
i wouldn't say thorkell was reduced to comic relief; he's always been a comedic character, but there's still a brutality in him that's pretty terrifying if you think through it. this arc seems to be exploring more the darker side of war, after having gone through the first arc (just pure war) and the farmland arc (no war) so i wouldn't say vinland saga itself is getting worse either. it's simply a slow style.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Aug 23, 2019 1:29 PM
Aug 2019
Aug 23, 2019 10:14 PM

May 2018
It does went downhill after Askeladd's death.
Aug 25, 2019 1:11 AM
May 2017
photophobic said:
i wouldn't say thorkell was reduced to comic relief; he's always been a comedic character, but there's still a brutality in him that's pretty terrifying if you think through it. this arc seems to be exploring more the darker side of war, after having gone through the first arc (just pure war) and the farmland arc (no war) so i wouldn't say vinland saga itself is getting worse either. it's simply a slow style.

Thorkell literally wrestled fucking Bigfoot and bawled like a child when he couldn't keep it, if this isn't a good character getting degraded purely into comedic relief then idk what is.
Aug 27, 2019 11:04 AM

Jan 2016
i do feel like it's slowing down. As people said after Askeladd died it dropped in quality, but i'm one of those people who thoroughly enjoyed the slave farm arc and overall Thorfinn's character progression. I would think the main problem is how fucking slow plot progresses, if it was weekly then ok. But it's fucking monthly and it feels like for 3 months we've stuck reading the same shit then one chapter moves the plot a little bit and then 3 chapters of nothing again
Aug 27, 2019 4:47 PM

Feb 2017
While I have frustrations and criticisms for Baltic Sea War arc and think it wasn't as good when put next to Prologue, Farm, or short arcs like Fettered Tern and Hild's introductory arc, I still think it was decent-good arc. And one arc is not enough for me to say whether the series is truly going downhill or not. Every series is consisted of better and worse arcs. I gotta see the following arc to decide if the series is going downhill or not.
Aug 27, 2019 7:08 PM
Mar 2015
The Vinland Saga is historical The Vikings raids eventually ended and kingdoms took their place Canute took over Denmark,Norway and England He had no more use for the Vikings They founded Rus and reached Constantinople;The Vikings in France became the Duchy of Normandy and its duke William the Bastard conquered England in 1066 Robert took Sicily and the successors to the Vikings who were Christenized let the 1st Crusadee
Aug 28, 2019 5:28 AM
Jan 2016
My favorite arc of the series is the farm, plus i loved the one afterward ( with Hild) those two are my favorites. Baltic Sea war arc is definitely one of the weakest arc to prior ones. Can't really say going downhill to early to judge, but yeah next chapter is the next arc so we will see.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 191 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BigPPFumiya - Feb 25, 2022

74 by jgreene »»
Apr 18, 9:12 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 209 Discussion

ryzxgum - Feb 23

22 by TheMangaManiac »»
Apr 15, 4:41 PM

» vinland saga manga is ending soon

deg - Apr 13

6 by Hei316 »»
Apr 14, 9:31 AM

» Some great music to listen to while reading?

Ghoultulhu - Aug 26, 2015

8 by enigmasauce »»
Apr 5, 8:10 AM

» vinland saga 210 release date?

CRG - Apr 2

1 by deg »»
Apr 2, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.