Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Feb 27, 2019 2:43 PM

Dec 2018
Omg whats with people wishing for filo to die? What sick fetish do you guys have? This ep was way better then the manga just wished the fight were longer but this isnt a shonen they dont have the time and this was basically a teaser for the curse shield it wasnt even fully powered up yet.

Some people dont understand his hate. What not to understand? He hates this world for summoning him and throw him to the trash and having his only 2 people that he can trust die in front of him and for what? Just to clean other heroes screw ups? To help a country who demonized him? If he doesnt get mad at that he really is a saint.

I really liked this episode and i cant wait for more specialy when the other heroes learn on what naofumi ben doing

Aniteku said:
Omg whats with people wishing for filo to die? What sick fetish do you guys have? This ep was way better then the manga just wished the fight were longer but this isnt a shonen they dont have the time and this was basically a teaser for the curse shield it wasnt even fully powered up yet.

Some people dont understand his hate. What not to understand? He hates this world for summoning him and throw him to the trash and having his only 2 people that he can trust die in front of him and for what? Just to clean other heroes screw ups? To help a country who demonized him? If he doesnt get mad at that he really is a saint.

I really liked this episode and i cant wait for more specialy when the other heroes learn on what naofumi ben doing

The people do not want Filo to die, we wants the anime to be constant with his tone since at first he showed how the protagonist suffered a huge injustice without any reason, BUT now everything goes very well and beautiful, it's like the goblin slayer that kind of anime that the first episode is a clickbait so that people get hooked only so that after so that later forget about that and go down a more generic path
Feb 27, 2019 2:44 PM

Apr 2018
Very good episode. I would like to see more of raphtalia though, too much filo for my taste.
Feb 27, 2019 2:51 PM

Dec 2016
Comander-07 said:
Also, this has been buggin me for a while, but now they actually talked about getting stronger. Why does he care more about money than grinding exp? As I see it he should be spending 95% of his time leveling up to be safe. Why is he suddenly acting as if he only cares about money? Is the leveling part implied but skipped? I guess farming mob would be boring, but atleast talk about it please.

They also need to make a living, as well as buy gear. And since the kingdom has cut off all support they have no other income, unlike the other heroes.

Narratively it makes sense, but to be honest watching him go around in a cart skrimping for every spare penny he can get is sorta boring. I'm surprised that he hasn't been given trouble by the merchants guild, or fined for operating without a business license, or whatever.

Comander-07 said:
Also, raphi ages with her level, will she look like a granny at lvl 100? Will she look like a Jojo character at lvl 100? Doesnt she actually age anymore and that was just 5 minutes of convenient writing or "Araki forgot"?

Convenient writing. The timescale is so compressed in this series that she needs to basically grow up overnight in order to be strong enough to fight the first waves.

Cleckeroo said:
IMO Naofumi has suffered a lot emotionally and psychologically because of that accusation he was branded a rapist which is a bad thing especially when you are a Hero.

Please. He's "suffered" little to none. Even in the first episode, the armorer confronts him about the alleged rape and gives him some clothes. So he doesn't even start with nothing. Then it shows him camping outside of town, but it's a Mediterranean climate so it's not like he's in danger from cold or exposure. Within days he's making money selling stuff to the point he can repay his debt to the armorer and splurge on a slave. The only stigma he faces is a bit of muttering behind his back. Now, he's known better for being something to do with a Hallowed Chicken or whatever, than he ever was for being a rapist. Oh, the indignity of it all!

Bottom line, this show has done a horrible, horrible job at portraying anywhere near the degree of suffering or trauma that is implied by Naofumi flipping out and going full emo.

Cleckeroo said:
The way he interacts to the villagers are justified if you put yourself into Naofumi's shoes you will find yourself doing that too because you are supposed to be desperate of surviving that world and by surviving that world you need money to buy more powerful equipment to fight for the waves. The only people that you can trust are your companions and others are potential traitors.

But he's not desperate. He can shove whatever shit he likes into his shield and make medicine, spermicide, or who knows what else. I'm surprised he can't make a full home-cooked Japanese meal with it by now.

OG_Gattsu said:
“Hi my name is Edgelord hero. I’m a bland emo who pulls power out of my ass and goes berserk in the most cliche way and doesn’t look at Filo’s health bar to see if she died.”

lmao yup
SSL443Feb 27, 2019 2:55 PM
Feb 27, 2019 2:54 PM

Feb 2019
Gamefan121 said:
Remember when people called this the "best isekai of all time"?
8 episodes in and we get this mess.. I had high hopes after I have seen the first 4 episodes, but now it is getting worse and worse every week.

do not believe what the fans of novels say, they can be very stubborn and arrogant since they do not see the anime as such, they imagine and correct the errors and details that they omit in the adapt as the novelfags of index
Feb 27, 2019 2:56 PM

Sep 2018
Fede_5000 said:
The people do not want Filo to die, we wants the anime to be constant with his tone since at first he showed how the protagonist suffered a huge injustice without any reason, BUT now everything goes very well and beautiful, it's like the goblin slayer that kind of anime that the first episode is a clickbait so that people get hooked only so that after so that later forget about that and go down a more generic path

Though the reason why things have been working out for Naofumi is because he's been interacting with commoners outside of the Melormarc capital. The narrative that the Shield Hero was a bumbling know-nothing spread overnight during the 1st episode and the fake accusation came from Malty who is the princess. The people who hate him the most are the king, Malty, the nobles, and royal staff since they all live where the "Demon Shield" narrative originated from.

We saw how Naofumi won over the regular folk over time. He received books from the herbalist and magician because he saved their relatives from Lute Village. The book he received from the herbalist, especially, allowed him to make his medicine as effective as they are so far. He proved that he was more knowledgeable of a commoner's average living wage when Malty tried to implement irrational toll fees. The other good things he has done gave him a lot of good reputation even if he didn't do them out of the kindness of his heart.

The reason why there is a disparity is because there is an actual disparity of Naofumi's reputation among the common folk vs. those from the capital, namely anyone close to the royal family.
Feb 27, 2019 3:01 PM

Aug 2018
[quote=SSL443]
Comander-07 said:
Also, this has been buggin me for a while, but now they actually talked about getting stronger. Why does he care more about money than grinding exp? As I see it he should be spending 95% of his time leveling up to be safe. Why is he suddenly acting as if he only cares about money? Is the leveling part implied but skipped? I guess farming mob would be boring, but atleast talk about it please.

They also need to make a living, as well as buy gear. And since the kingdom has cut off all support they have no other income, unlike the other heroes.

Narratively it makes sense, but to be honest watching him go around in a cart skrimping for every spare penny he can get is sorta boring. I'm surprised that he hasn't been given trouble by the merchants guild, or fined for operating without a business license, or whatever.

Comander-07 said:
Also, raphi ages with her level, will she look like a granny at lvl 100? Will she look like a Jojo character at lvl 100? Doesnt she actually age anymore and that was just 5 minutes of convenient writing or "Araki forgot"?

Convenient writing. The timescale is so compressed in this series that she needs to basically grow up overnight in order to be strong enough to fight the first waves.
Cleckeroo said:

SSL443 said:
IMO Naofumi has suffered a lot emotionally and psychologically because of that accusation he was branded a rapist which is a bad thing especially when you are a Hero.

Please. He's "suffered" little to none. Even in the first episode, the armorer confronts him about the alleged rape and gives him some clothes. So he doesn't even start with nothing. Then it shows him camping outside of town, but it's a Mediterranean climate so it's not like he's in danger from cold or exposure. Within days he's making money selling stuff to the point he can repay his debt to the armorer and splurge on a slave. The only stigma he faces is a bit of muttering behind his back. Now, he's known better for being something to do with a Hallowed Chicken or whatever, than he ever was for being a rapist. Oh, the indignity of it all!

Bottom line, this show has done a horrible, horrible job at portraying anywhere near the degree of suffering or trauma that is implied by Naofumi flipping out and going full emo.

SSL443 said:
The way he interacts to the villagers are justified if you put yourself into Naofumi's shoes you will find yourself doing that too because you are supposed to be desperate of surviving that world and by surviving that world you need money to buy more powerful equipment to fight for the waves. The only people that you can trust are your companions and others are potential traitors.

But he's not desperate. He can shove whatever shit he likes into his shield and make medicine, spermicide, or who knows what else. I'm surprised he can't make a full home-cooked Japanese meal with it by now.

He needs to survive in the waves so he needs money to buy some gear for Filo and Raphtalia, he is desparate to survive during wave attacks. If you think that the Cursed shield is OP you're dead wrong, if that shield is OP it will obliterate that dragon in a Shield bash.
Feb 27, 2019 3:05 PM

Sep 2018
Cleckeroo said:
He needs to survive in the waves so he needs money to buy some gear for Filo and Raphtalia, he is desparate to survive during wave attacks. If you think that the Cursed shield is OP you're dead wrong, if that shield is OP it will obliterate that dragon in a Shield bash.

Not to mention we already saw the king tried to cheat Naofumi out of his wave reward in which the wave reward share was already unfairly split. Unlike the other 3 heroes who could depend on the kingdom to give them funds, Naofumi can't and thus he has to go out and earn money himself.
Feb 27, 2019 3:08 PM
Nov 2018
This is just a sneak peak of cursed shield if they showed anymore of it then that would have totally destroyed the epicness of shield of rage 2 upcoming in 3rd wave. It was perfectly executed episode from LN perspective but manga was a bit different so people might complaint.
Also even an idiot could tell filo wouldn't die, do you think one of the main characters of the story can be killed that easily, I feel hilarious when people complaint why she didn't die, i am like do these people have some common sense or not.
Feb 27, 2019 3:09 PM

Dec 2016
Cleckeroo said:

That's literally what I said. Also, there you go again with the "desperate". At what point has it been demonstrated that he is "depserate" to survive the waves? The last one was a piece of cake.

RayReynolds said:
do not believe what the fans of novels say, they can be very stubborn and arrogant since they do not see the anime as such, they imagine and correct the errors and details that they omit in the adapt as the novelfags of index

Oh god... the amount of headcanon and apologism for this series has been unreal. Pretty much every flaw gets explained away by stuff that we haven't seen yet. It's just going to go on and on right up through the end of the anime, then we'll be getting some nightmare ending justifed by stuff that won't even make it into the adaptation.
Feb 27, 2019 3:10 PM

Jan 2013
Holy s**! I was worried for a second, especially after this week's Mob Psycho episode xD But then i was like, she can't be dead, but that blood scared me.
Damn, Naofomi went really berserk! Raphtalia managed to stop him but at a high cost, i hope they can heal her easily.

I wonder if the crystal that Filo ate will be important somewhere in the future.
It's technically her fault because if she didn't attack the dragon so recklessly, Naofumi wouldn't go berserk.

I thought that this would be the first time that Naofumi would really listen to Raphtalia and sleep with her but no xD

Just look at them haha

@Vysarine
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Feb 27, 2019 3:17 PM
Jan 2018
Killuan said:
Raphtalia1 said:
bad episodes this show is getting more ordinary, by the way I'm an LN and manga fan, when the studio decided to make this anime, I initially put high hopes that this would be the best anime work, but everything worsened, the best episode part was only the first episode who succeeded in building emotions and also the best part of the opening and closing, the rest was just garbage without characterization and they were now destroying audience tension, thanks to the studio kinema citrus for showing terrible performances from top LN and Manga

I admit this episode dropped the ball, but aren't you being a little too critical of the episodes that came before it? You seemed to be enjoying those well enough. Admittedly, i'm slightly worried by this episode because it could be a sign of things to come.
yes that is true, I enjoyed the previous episode more, I did not want to drop just that I was disappointed with the studio summarizing the curse shield explanation material in just a few minutes, isn't it absurd to end LN's second volume with short material while in the episode before they had a lot of time, I finally understood the assumption of people about bad writing
Feb 27, 2019 3:18 PM
Nov 2018
This just a sneak peak of the shield of rage if they explored it any further then that would have totally ruined the epicness of shield of rage 2 upcoming in third wave.
Even an idiot could tell that filo wouldn't die people who are complaining why she didn't die are either who don't have common sense that main characters can't be killed that easily.
Also the dragon was atleast 10x powerful than when it was alive which they didn't mention in anime. Yes cursed shield is kind of OP but it comes with a cost you will know it later on how greater risk it is to use the cursed series.
Feb 27, 2019 3:21 PM

Aug 2018
SSL443 said:
Cleckeroo said:

That's literally what I said. Also, there you go again with the "desperate". At what point has it been demonstrated that he is "depserate" to survive the waves? The last one was a piece of cake.

Let's see why he is desperate to survive in the waves, HE WANTS TO GO HOME TO HIS ORIGINAL WORLD. They summoned him in that world and screwed him up the minute he arrive there, anyone who is in that situation will request to return to their original world.

If you really watched episode 1 the King told him that if they save the world from the Waves of catastrophe they can go home with ease.

Will Naofumi can get home when he's already dead? NO! He is desperate to upgrade the party members with additional gears and other stuffs because if they die no one will attack for him anymore and eventually he will die during the wave.
Feb 27, 2019 3:22 PM

Sep 2018
Dhyan_manu said:
This just a sneak peak of the shield of rage if they explored it any further then that would have totally ruined the epicness of shield of rage 2 upcoming in third wave.
Even an idiot could tell that filo wouldn't die people who are complaining why she didn't die are either who don't have common sense that main characters can't be killed that easily.
Also the dragon was atleast 10x powerful than when it was alive which they didn't mention in anime. Yes cursed shield is kind of OP but it comes with a cost you will know it later on how greater risk it is to use the cursed series.

Feb 27, 2019 3:23 PM
Jul 2018
I have to say that I'm not really liking the anime so far even though I liked the first few episodes and I love the manga. It just seems so rushed and the scenes don't seem as intense. With all its fanservice like Raphtalia asking Naofumi to sleep with her, this seems to be heading into the same direction as SAO. I won't drop the show because I love this series but they need to fix it up.
Feb 27, 2019 3:23 PM

Dec 2016
Cleckeroo said:
Let's see why he is desperate to survive in the waves, HE WANTS TO GO HOME TO HIS ORIGINAL WORLD. They summoned him in that world and screwed him up the minute he arrive there, anyone who is in that situation will request to return to their original world.

I'm not asking WHY he WOULD be desperate, I'm asking for how the it has been shown that he IS desperate.
Feb 27, 2019 3:24 PM
Jan 2018
kiza1379 said:
BlackLatias said:

Doesn't matter though, since the dragon didn't chew her, but only swallowed her. So she wasn't hurt initially from him. While I think the situation could've been handled differently (with her being badly hurt to trigger the shield, maybe through his fault, like in the manga) it isn't that unbelievable for her to survive that.

But all in all, after watching the episode again with a friend, I think it would've worked better as a two parter. First part being more of a build up in the village or for the fight and ending it with Filo being eaten, second part would then be the part with Naofumi's shield and then everything afterwards. Just to give everything more time.
I enjoyed this episode, but I have the feeling they are just rushing through everything and I don't understand why. After the first two episodes or so I thought Filo should hatch at around episode 8. And now it had happened in ep 5 already. I am just really, really confused why the pacing is so damn fast.

So can we say the blame is on the director for not adapting exactly?
Yeah I kinda agree with split it into 2 part. That would escalate the buildup a lot better.
I am not a manga reader or LN reader so idk if it is fast paced or anything or they skipped anything, but i think so far so adaption is good but this episode is literally trash thanks to that dragon scenes that ruined it all.
to be honest as an LN reader or Manga I was disappointed with the studio steps that summarized all the material because it would confuse the audience, there were even many parts such as why the curse shield did not speak as in episode 4 before, and we did not get further information on the curse of the shield because this is the end of volume 2
Feb 27, 2019 3:31 PM
Nov 2018
SSL443 said:
Cleckeroo said:

I'm not asking WHY he WOULD be desperate, I'm asking for how the it has been shown that he IS desperate.

He is earning money desperately in order to get good equipment which costs golds worth of money.
In case you don't know
1 gold = 100 silvers how much money do you think he has made so far I bet not more than 50 gold.
Leveling up isn't as easy as you think, I will explain you how if you are at lower levels then even a mob monsters will give you expect to level up faster but as your level goes higher it will be extremely difficult to level up since this isn't a game world no one knows what level of monster can be found where to level up, it's pointless if you are at level 37 and grinding monsters with level 10 or 15 hence he is more focused on equipments
Feb 27, 2019 3:32 PM

Aug 2018
SSL443 said:
Cleckeroo said:

The point that he wants money more than anything, what would he buy from the money he earned? Of course some gears to upgrade their power in order to survive in the wave. During wave 2 in episode 3 they were underleveled and undergeared because of many monsters there, it's endless until you defeated the boss. They got lucky that the heroes defeated the boss before it gets worse.
Feb 27, 2019 3:37 PM
Jan 2018
RayReynolds said:
Gamefan121 said:
Remember when people called this the "best isekai of all time"?
8 episodes in and we get this mess.. I had high hopes after I have seen the first 4 episodes, but now it is getting worse and worse every week.

as an LN reader and Manga I admit that anime is not made well because the studio tries to summarize a lot of development material in it so you can't enjoy it, if you want to enjoy reading Manga or LN, believe me you won't be disappointed with this work
Feb 27, 2019 3:39 PM

Dec 2016
Dhyan_manu said:
SSL443 said:

He is earning money desperately in order to get good equipment which costs golds worth of money.
In case you don't know
1 gold = 100 silvers how much money do you think he has made so far I bet not more than 50 gold.
Leveling up isn't as easy as you think, I will explain you how if you are at lower levels then even a mob monsters will give you expect to level up faster but as your level goes higher it will be extremely difficult to level up since this isn't a game world no one knows what level of monster can be found where to level up, it's pointless if you are at level 37 and grinding monsters with level 10 or 15 hence he is more focused on equipments
Cleckeroo said:
SSL443 said:

The point that he wants money more than anything, what would he buy from the money he earned? Of course some gears to upgrade their power in order to survive in the wave. During wave 2 in episode 3 they were underleveled and undergeared because of many monsters there, it's endless until you defeated the boss. They got lucky that the heroes defeated the boss before it gets worse.

Guys. Stop. Come on.

I want to know where the characterization is. You're just repeating the same thing that has nothing to do with what I'm asking.
Feb 27, 2019 3:39 PM

Jul 2016
Great episode, sneak peek to curse shield is badass. Zombie dragon is strong but Filo is stronger xD. Weekly pouting Rapth is cute. Shield hero continues to clean the mess of his fellow heroes. Naofumi pledge to protect the two.

Feb 27, 2019 3:41 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
So-so episode, sadly.

Last few episodes haven’t really clicked in for me and this didn’t either. Initial concept of the show was interesting, to say the least, despite its apparent flaws but it had a bit of originality to itself which now seems to be deviating to an SAO-like take. I feel like the timing of these filler-ish episodes have been awful and here’s to hoping we get back to the main plot line soon next episodes. I’m hoping the next couple or so episodes will change this impression of mine but honestly not too hopeful here.

Filo’s whole fake-out death scene should’ve honestly been handled better, zooming in and playing it slower frame by frame clearly suggests that Filo should’ve at least been injured but she seemed to be unscathed at the end. Moreover, the whole fight just felt off for some reason, the curse shield kicking in just didn’t feel ‘right’ in terms of the timing and Naofumi taking control over it was a little too haphazard for my liking too. CGI Dragon wasn’t the most impressive but it was fine enough to just about do the job. I wonder why this ‘Zombie’ Dragon has not regenerated back its belly though, it clearly regenerated at the start of the battle. Some depressing display of the disease though, that was a good job there, and some nice bonding scenes between the characters too. Naofumi is as dense as ever though, lol.

As manga/light novel readers have already pointed out, things do indeed feel rushed even for an anime-only, such as I. Skimming through the important bits are already hurting but it’ll really hurt even more in the long run as things get more intense.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 2017
Cleckeroo said:
SSL443 said:

If you really watched episode 1 the King told him that if they save the world from the Waves of catastrophe they can go home with ease.

Will Naofumi can get home when he's already dead? NO! He is desperate to upgrade the party members with additional gears and other stuffs because if they die no one will attack for him anymore and eventually he will die during the wave.

Those are his goals, why he must do the waves at all, but at no point is he shown as desperate. The first wave was more than easy and there were no consequences. If he barely survived and suffered a lasting loss than we could talk about things being desperate, but its all been easy so far. Even the common people are behaving like everything is relatively fine, not like the apocalypse is around the corner. If things are supposed to be dark and desperate then the anime is not portraying it like that at all. If you want to see what a desperate MC looks like, go read the Black swordsman arc in Berserk lol.

May 2017
That CG tho -_-

Filo's fake death (come on guys you didn't think the bird died for real now did you) was disappointing as I felt it could have been the series kickstart, although, I am glad she survived in the end and all remains well it camp shield hero.

JFeel the show has dropped pace compared to those gripping first eps, like it's waiting for something big to happen but isn't quite sure what to do in the meantime and is just burning time.

Nevertheless decent ep I look forward to the next.
Feb 27, 2019 3:43 PM
Jan 2018
Dhyan_manu said:
yes I also forgot about it, too much material was missed in the current episode, of course those who are not LN or Manga readers would be confused, that's why anime was made only to promote LN even though they tried to change all the material
Feb 27, 2019 3:46 PM

Aug 2018
SSL443 said:
Dhyan_manu said:

In case you don't know
Cleckeroo said:

Guys. Stop. Come on.

I want to know where the characterization is. You're just repeating the same thing that has nothing to do with what I'm asking.

Your asking the point where Naofumi demonstrates his desperation, I gave you the answer that I believe is correct. What kind of answer do you want? If characterization you want then, Naofumi is so desperate that his greed towards money became a habit his.
Feb 27, 2019 3:47 PM

Dec 2016
mnedel said:
Those are his goals, why he must do the waves at all, but at no point is he shown as desperate. The first wave was more than easy and there were no consequences. If he barely survived and suffered a lasting loss than we could talk about things being desperate, but its all been easy so far. Even the common people are behaving like everything is relatively fine, not like the apocalypse is around the corner. If things are supposed to be dark and desperate then the anime is not portraying it like that at all. If you want to see what a desperate MC looks like, go read the Black swordsman arc in Berserk lol.

Exactly! This isn't hard to understand.
Feb 27, 2019 3:49 PM
Jan 2018
PornstarAhri said:
I have to say that I'm not really liking the anime so far even though I liked the first few episodes and I love the manga. It just seems so rushed and the scenes don't seem as intense. With all its fanservice like Raphtalia asking Naofumi to sleep with her, this seems to be heading into the same direction as SAO. I won't drop the show because I love this series but they need to fix it up.
yes, unless they want to spoil it, just the same as eliminating the kiss scene to Raphtalia in episode 4, they even eliminate the scene in LN what's with the studio, at first I had high hopes for the studio, but now I know
Feb 27, 2019 3:52 PM
Jan 2018
SSL443 said:
Dhyan_manu said:

In case you don't know
Cleckeroo said:

Guys. Stop. Come on.

ask the studio if you want characterization, if they don't give then read LN or Manga
Feb 27, 2019 3:54 PM

Aug 2018
mnedel said:
Cleckeroo said:

When did I say that this series is dark like Berserk level? I like the series because it balances the dark and light themes. Naofumi realizes that the waves are harder than he thought and the fact that he has only a shield makes his situation worse. Imagine Raphtalia and Filo died during the wave and Naofumi is the only one left because he is a tank, there is no chance that he will survive with endless horde of monsters. Naofumi realizes that so he needs to make a move on how can the party become stronger to survive and that leads to Naofumi being a merchant to earn money that he needs to upgrade.
Feb 27, 2019 3:55 PM
Jan 2018
_MushiRock11_ said:
So-so episode, sadly.

Last few episodes haven’t really clicked in for me and this didn’t either. Initial concept of the show was interesting, to say the least, despite its apparent flaws but it had a bit of originality to itself which now seems to be deviating to an SAO-like take. I feel like the timing of these filler-ish episodes have been awful and here’s to hoping we get back to the main plot line soon next episodes. I’m hoping the next couple or so episodes will change this impression of mine but honestly not too hopeful here.

Filo’s whole fake-out death scene should’ve honestly been handled better, zooming in and playing it slower frame by frame clearly suggests that Filo should’ve at least been injured but she seemed to be unscathed at the end. Moreover, the whole fight just felt off for some reason, the curse shield kicking in just didn’t feel ‘right’ in terms of the timing and Naofumi taking control over it was a little too haphazard for my liking too. CGI Dragon wasn’t the most impressive but it was fine enough to just about do the job. I wonder why this ‘Zombie’ Dragon has not regenerated back its belly though, it clearly regenerated at the start of the battle. Some depressing display of the disease though, that was a good job there, and some nice bonding scenes between the characters too. Naofumi is as dense as ever though, lol.

As manga/light novel readers have already pointed out, things do indeed feel rushed even for an anime-only, such as I. Skimming through the important bits are already hurting but it’ll really hurt even more in the long run as things get more intense.
yes that's because they cut a lot of drama in this episode, even music isn't as good as episode 4
Feb 27, 2019 3:56 PM

Dec 2016
Cleckeroo said:
When did I say that this series is dark like Berserk level? I like the series because it balances the dark and light themes. Naofumi realizes that the waves are harder than he thought and the fact that he has only a shield makes his situation worse. Imagine Raphtalia and Filo died during the wave and Naofumi is the only one left because he is a tank, there is no chance that he will survive with endless horde of monsters. Naofumi realizes that so he needs to make a move on how can the party become stronger to survive and that leads to Naofumi being a merchant to earn money that he needs to upgrade.

Noone said it was as dark as Berserk. He gave that as an example of a DESPERATE CHARACTER.
Feb 27, 2019 4:03 PM

Aug 2018
SSL443 said:
Cleckeroo said:

Noone said it was as dark as Berserk. He gave that as an example of a DESPERATE CHARACTER.

Naofumi is desperate of being stronger as shown on why he is so obessessed with money and other things. It's not that hard to understand. The previous wave is not an easy one because not how strong the enemy is but their number is endless. They just got lucky that it will end when you defeated the boss.
Feb 27, 2019 4:09 PM

Sep 2018
Cleckeroo said:
Naofumi is desperate of being stronger as shown on why he is so obessessed with money and other things. It's not that hard to understand. The previous wave is not an easy one because not how strong the enemy is but their number is endless. They just got lucky that it will end when you defeated the boss.

Or the part where he really needed to find clothes that don't rip when Filo transforms or otherwise, he would go broke from constantly buying new clothes.
Feb 27, 2019 4:12 PM

Dec 2016
Cleckeroo said:

That's not desperation. Please go look up what it means and then get back to me with specific examples.

But the wave wasn't endless and they did defeat the boss. The show never indicated there should be any doubt that they would defeat the wave.
Feb 27, 2019 4:20 PM
Apr 2017
Cleckeroo said:
mnedel said:

Yes, you never said this show is as dark as Berserk and I never implied it. However, you have been constantly saying how Naofumi is desperate, how he suffered greatly and is deeply traumatized when what’s shown in the anime doesn’t support that narrative at all. On the contrary, things have been going fairly well for him all things considered. And, please, the dark elements of Shield hero have, so far, been nothing more than superficial fluff.

Cleckeroo said:
SSL443 said:

You mean desperate as in he wants something very badly? That’s not what desperation is.
Feb 27, 2019 4:20 PM

Dec 2014
Good episode but I do feel they could've done better.

The fight against the undead dragon could've been a lot more exciting and even expanded upon if they wished too. It feels like they're speeding through content but I can't really understand why they feel the need to do so. I was expecting this season to cover up to

but from the pacing we have here, it seems like we're gonna go well beyond that. I think personally I would've preferred a slower pace.

Needed some more impact during the fight, the soundtrack was great but I think the directing just didn't match up as well. It wasn't bad but it left something to be desired I guess.

That final double pout by Raphtalia and Filo. <3
Feb 27, 2019 4:27 PM
Jan 2019
Compared to the light novel, my expectations from the preview and expectations it was meh......

I feel they are doing a good enough job but the pacing feels so different from last episode it is weird.

Filo's "death" also looks ridiculous. The only things I liked in this are voice acting and sound design. The rage sequences are also great but I think there is a lot left to be desired.

Music is not bad but It was missing some punch, especially when the rage sequence starts.
Feb 27, 2019 4:30 PM
Feb 2019
I know that a lot of people are arguing left and right about the anime adaptation and about whether this is good or bad. I read the manga and watched the anime. It is not as good as fan claim it to be. It is not as bad as people try to make it. I think all agree though, is that the first episode is gripping, and it helped set up the story that makes people want to vouch for the heroes. Undoubtedly, the Shield Hero would be popular enough to create its copy cat like the going to be adapted Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou, Dungeon Seeker, and Heal Hero, ...

One thing I realize is when I watch Dororo is that even though Hhyakkimaru's his father sacrificed him to the demon, and he now lost everything a human could have (ability to see, talk, feel, or even survive, and all of that is caused by the one person who is supposed to love him most). His father was supposed to make me angry, a lot angry. I was supposed to sympathize with Hyakkimaru. But, I didn't feel the enraging that the Bitch character create. And, I didn't feel like empathizing for Hyakkimaru as much as I did with Naofumi.

As I am reflecting on the reason why Shield Hero hooked me at first, or same with Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou, Dungeon Seeker, and Heal Hero,... I now realized that the greatest pain I could imagine is getting cucked be a girl.

Now, I am dealing with the biggest crisis in my life. Has reading too much hentai and accidentally stumbling upon too many NTR has shaped my survival instinct as a human?
Feb 27, 2019 4:30 PM

Aug 2018
SSL443 said:
Cleckeroo said:

That's not desperation. Please go look up what it means and then get back to me with specific examples.

But the wave wasn't endless and they did defeat the boss. The show never indicated there should be any doubt that they would defeat the wave.

The wave is endless if you don't defeat the boss early, the monsters are continuously spawning endlessly. Of course it that wont indicate any doubt because it's just the start of the wave the other heroes are OP that time.

Naofumi doesn't know what to do if another wave hits and they are still undergeared so Naofumi will do anything to earn money but in a right way, but because he pissed the King and doesn't want to support him anymore. So he needs to earn his money and save as much as possible.
Feb 27, 2019 4:33 PM
Jun 2015
Cleckeroo said:
Codi_Lee said:
Oh okay, thanks lol. I honestly haven't been caring about characters other than the main and the king and Malty suck so I definitely didn't think about that.

Your welcome :) Sorry for spoiling you btw but that will answer your question.
Don't worry about it. I basically asked for that spoiler, but I don't really mind spoilers compared to someone else. Sometimes I go out of my way to get spoiler haha.
Feb 27, 2019 4:34 PM
Jan 2019
Killuan said:
Comander-07 said:

Raphtalia explained that to Naofumi at end of episode four. "When demi-humans are younger, they age when they level." They stop leveling once they reach adulthood, as there would be no purpose in aging past your prime.

JESUS CHRIST NO they stop growing after they reach prime age (20ish yrs old) They can keep leveling up and could go well beyond a 100 lvls. (If they found a way to perform that class-up ceremony)
Feb 27, 2019 4:40 PM

Dec 2016
Cleckeroo said:
The wave is endless if you don't defeat the boss early, the monsters are continuously spawning endlessly. Of course it that wont indicate any doubt because it's just the start of the wave the other heroes are OP that time.

Naofumi doesn't know what to do if another wave hits and they are still undergeared so Naofumi will do anything to earn money but in a right way, but because he pissed the King and doesn't want to support him anymore. So he needs to earn his money and save as much as possible.

This is all information that is missing from the anime. You're pulling in excuses from the source material, or extrapolating based on information thereof, rather than drawing on the adaptation itself to make a case.
Feb 27, 2019 4:47 PM
Jan 2019
Another good chapter. The first look at the shield of anger. "Today we are stronger than yesterday, tomorrow we will be even stronger." What a peculiar and beautiful family Naofumi has formed. PD: The Filo's swallowed by the dragon really paralyzed me :'v.
Feb 27, 2019 4:47 PM

Aug 2018
SSL443 said:
Cleckeroo said:

This is all information that is missing from the anime. You're pulling in excuses from the source material, or extrapolating based on information thereof, rather than drawing on the adaptation itself to make a case.

I'm drawing it based on the adaptation not even the source explained this, this is just the result of my observation on why Naofumi is obssessed with money and made a desperate move for buying a slave. Because he knows how weak he is, he has no choice but to get stronger or else he will die.
Feb 27, 2019 4:52 PM

Mar 2015
The episode was strange for me, I feel it could have been much better, the development was very forced, the change of anger to normal was very weak. The CGI doesn't really bother me. As for Philo, I expected her to really suffer some damage but it was not like that. At least there were some moments of NaofumixRaphtalia that I liked.
My Candies:

My bonus Candies:
Feb 27, 2019 4:58 PM

Jan 2011
i also S33k Elite PoW3r rage shield...

i don't know what to think of this show at this point it's not very good but at the same time besides some problematic issues it isn't that bad but at least the animation was a key selling point for me but that seems to be on a decline with just about everything else.

gave the biggest eye roll when filo came out of the dragon at first i was like damn they killed her just like that then instantly realized what kind of show im watching so no way she would actually die ,they pulled it was just tomato juice bit which would work if it wasn't trying to be serious in the aspect that it was the main trigger for his rage
Feb 27, 2019 4:59 PM

Aug 2018
I honestly think that this episode was a bit of a let-down compared to the others. Especially because of the lack of emotional impact that was shown when Raphtalia saw Naofumi be crushed or when they saw Filo get eaten.
Feb 27, 2019 5:02 PM

Sep 2018
epik64 said:
I honestly think that this episode was a bit of a let-down compared to the others. Especially because of the lack of emotional impact that was shown when Raphtalia saw Naofumi be crushed or when they saw Filo get eaten.

There was more gravitas in the manga. In the manga, Filo got accidentally eaten because the slave seal shocked her midair and Naofumi knew he really fucked up. I was bummed when Filo was just merely distracted in the anime.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2019

546 by ridly »»
Yesterday, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2019

243 by ridly »»
Yesterday, 6:22 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2019

271 by Der_Body »»
Apr 26, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2019

169 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 26, 8:10 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2019

195 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 26, 7:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.