Forum Settings
Forums

Some reflections about "getting people into anime"

New
Feb 24, 2018 9:09 PM

Feb 2014
Originally posted on Reddit:

Let me start this post with a question: Do you want people to like ANIME, or do you want them to like SOME anime? In case you chose the second option, then i ask you: What do you gain with that?

Some time ago i saw a post here on r/anime about a guy wanting an anime in order to make a philosophy work or something like that. And what made me sad were the comments: EVA, Akira, Tenshi no Tamago, Lain, etc.

No there's nothing wrong with those listed anime well, except Akira, the point is: If you're going to make about one of those, why even care making about an anime in the first place? Sure, you could read some blog articles or wikipedia about all the "hidden messages" behind those works, but what would that prove? When i read that thread i had the sense that the OP wanted really badly to show his teacher or his classroom that "H-h-hey guys, anime i-is d-d-deep and not for children, o-okay?", he thing is: He was doing it wrong.

Imagine you met someone who never listened to music, and you want him to like music, would make him listen to Vivaldi's Four Seasons for 10 hours straight as his first contact to music? The thing is, if you're going out of your way to pick anime that YOU DON'T CONSUME in your daily basis in order to make someone "like" anime, you're doing it wrong. Let's suppose someone there DID LIKE such anime, what would they do? Go back to watching TV series or movies because those you recommended are not "the rule" in anime, but the exception.

If you have to go for "100% philosofical niche anime" to prove that "anime is smart", then perhaps anime really isn't smart, but that's the thing: It is. Knowing that, instead of going for one of these, you should've just really done an indepth work on any series you liked. I can go talking half an hour just on the "introduction and background" part of why i think RE:Zero and KonoSuba are good, i've seen half an hour Patreon-funded anime videos that was worth passing on TV, i've seen people making pages-long blog posts defending their favorite characters, and ultra-long discussions about world-buildings.

Now, after this 2k character introduction, let's get to the point: People commit the same mistake when trying to get people into anime. The definition of what a "fan" is that i use is "Someone that likes and continuosly consumes something", based on that, i made a "How to get any normie into being an anime fan" guide in portuguese, and to simplify it, it was: Break the image such normie has about anime, introduce him to influential anime that made entire tropes and that need no previous knowledge of tropes in order to be enjoyed, introduce him to a plethora of different genres and, finally, make him watch seasonal anime.

It may seem like it is something anyone would think, but it is not what i see people doing, so let's come with a list of things NOT TO RECOMMEND to newcomers:

1 - Your favorite anime: Well, unless it was the one that got YOU into anime, i wouldn't do it. Your favorite is usually your favorite because of all you've passed and watched prior to watching it, so i fail to see how many of them would make someone seek out for the media. As an example - and a bad experience - that i had: I once asked an old-school mecha fan some titles in order to me to get into the genre, he passed his top-5, i started with the first, "Getter Robo: Armageddon", an anime whose appeal comes from liking Go Nagai super robots and the Getter Robo series, needless to say that for me that one was crap.

2 - Anime of his/her favorite genre: Echo that in your mind: "Do you want that people to like ANIME, or to like SOME anime?", sure you will show your mistery-loving friend two or tree milketoast mestery anime, your friend will watch it, say he liked it, and then go back to watch TV series or movies.

3 - Western Styled Anime: I will keep repeating "Do you want that people to like ANIME, or to like SOME anime?", sure, you showed your friend Monster and Cowboy Bebop, he probablu liked those anime, but did he started liking anime? No. Best case scenario he will watch more anime and turn in that guy that makes the weekly theard on MAL forums on how "anime sucks nowadays and was better in the 90's". Why do we like anime? Because of a bunch of tropes it has, if you want someone to like anime, PUT HIM OR HER IN CONTACT WITH SUCH TROPES, NOT AWAY FROM THEM.

4 - Anime for otaku: Like it or not, not every anime is made to be someone's first anime, quite the opposite actually, as also complained by Miyazaki who complains of the industry since freaking Osamu Tesuka: Anime tends to be a feedback loop in some aspect, having lots of "anime for otaku". Now, as much as this may seem negative, know that it is just because of this that we can have lots of niche stuff nowadays: If not by many "generic" ones being there, there probably wouldn't be that "deconstruction" anime that you like. That being said, while being something good, it isn't exactly the best thing to make someone get into anime. Sure, KonoSuba is good, but your friend won't get the appeal if he doesn't know what J-RPGs or Isekai is. That's why anime such as Death Note or Code Geass is so recommended: Because not only you don't have to have previous package in order to be able to enjoy it 100%, but they also GIVE YOU some package for future stuff.

Well, that's what i think.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 24, 2018 9:22 PM

Apr 2011
Higurashi worked so well for me. My friend’s initial impression of anime in general was some gay cringy cute asian cartoon. What better way to change that impression by destroying it with fcked up blood and gore.
Feb 24, 2018 9:26 PM

Jan 2018
Full Metal Alchemist and Death Note made me realize that there were Anime shows that were made for adults. But, Sword Art Online and Attack On Titan made me want to watch a lot more Anime.
Feb 24, 2018 9:30 PM

Nov 2008
thewiru said:

1 - Your favorite anime: Well, unless it was the one that got YOU into anime, i wouldn't do it. Your favorite is usually your favorite because of all you've passed and watched prior to watching it, so i fail to see how many of them would make someone seek out for the media.

Um......wat? My brain is hurting from trying to understand this excerpt. lol

My favorite is my favorite because it has all of my favorite things in it; more than any other anime does.

The only problem is that it's difficult for a casual viewer to even FIND in high quality.

Feb 24, 2018 9:36 PM

Dec 2015
So I can't recommend Clannad: After Story because it's my favorite anime? Bummer 😞
Feb 24, 2018 9:36 PM

Feb 2018
thewiru said:
Originally posted on Reddit:

Let me start this post with a question: Do you want people to like ANIME, or do you want them to like SOME anime? In case you chose the second option, then i ask you: What do you gain with that?

Some time ago i saw a post here on r/anime about a guy wanting an anime in order to make a philosophy work or something like that. And what made me sad were the comments: EVA, Akira, Tenshi no Tamago, Lain, etc.

No there's nothing wrong with those listed anime well, except Akira, the point is: If you're going to make about one of those, why even care making about an anime in the first place? Sure, you could read some blog articles or wikipedia about all the "hidden messages" behind those works, but what would that prove? When i read that thread i had the sense that the OP wanted really badly to show his teacher or his classroom that "H-h-hey guys, anime i-is d-d-deep and not for children, o-okay?", he thing is: He was doing it wrong.

Imagine you met someone who never listened to music, and you want him to like music, would make him listen to Vivaldi's Four Seasons for 10 hours straight as his first contact to music? The thing is, if you're going out of your way to pick anime that YOU DON'T CONSUME in your daily basis in order to make someone "like" anime, you're doing it wrong. Let's suppose someone there DID LIKE such anime, what would they do? Go back to watching TV series or movies because those you recommended are not "the rule" in anime, but the exception.

If you have to go for "100% philosofical niche anime" to prove that "anime is smart", then perhaps anime really isn't smart, but that's the thing: It is. Knowing that, instead of going for one of these, you should've just really done an indepth work on any series you liked. I can go talking half an hour just on the "introduction and background" part of why i think RE:Zero and KonoSuba are good, i've seen half an hour Patreon-funded anime videos that was worth passing on TV, i've seen people making pages-long blog posts defending their favorite characters, and ultra-long discussions about world-buildings.

Now, after this 2k character introduction, let's get to the point: People commit the same mistake when trying to get people into anime. The definition of what a "fan" is that i use is "Someone that likes and continuosly consumes something", based on that, i made a "How to get any normie into being an anime fan" guide in portuguese, and to simplify it, it was: Break the image such normie has about anime, introduce him to influential anime that made entire tropes and that need no previous knowledge of tropes in order to be enjoyed, introduce him to a plethora of different genres and, finally, make him watch seasonal anime.

It may seem like it is something anyone would think, but it is not what i see people doing, so let's come with a list of things NOT TO RECOMMEND to newcomers:

1 - Your favorite anime: Well, unless it was the one that got YOU into anime, i wouldn't do it. Your favorite is usually your favorite because of all you've passed and watched prior to watching it, so i fail to see how many of them would make someone seek out for the media. As an example - and a bad experience - that i had: I once asked an old-school mecha fan some titles in order to me to get into the genre, he passed his top-5, i started with the first, "Getter Robo: Armageddon", an anime whose appeal comes from liking Go Nagai super robots and the Getter Robo series, needless to say that for me that one was crap.

2 - Anime of his/her favorite genre: Echo that in your mind: "Do you want that people to like ANIME, or to like SOME anime?", sure you will show your mistery-loving friend two or tree milketoast mestery anime, your friend will watch it, say he liked it, and then go back to watch TV series or movies.

3 - Western Styled Anime: I will keep repeating "Do you want that people to like ANIME, or to like SOME anime?", sure, you showed your friend Monster and Cowboy Bebop, he probablu liked those anime, but did he started liking anime? No. Best case scenario he will watch more anime and turn in that guy that makes the weekly theard on MAL forums on how "anime sucks nowadays and was better in the 90's". Why do we like anime? Because of a bunch of tropes it has, if you want someone to like anime, PUT HIM OR HER IN CONTACT WITH SUCH TROPES, NOT AWAY FROM THEM.

4 - Anime for otaku: Like it or not, not every anime is made to be someone's first anime, quite the opposite actually, as also complained by Miyazaki who complains of the industry since freaking Osamu Tesuka: Anime tends to be a feedback loop in some aspect, having lots of "anime for otaku". Now, as much as this may seem negative, know that it is just because of this that we can have lots of niche stuff nowadays: If not by many "generic" ones being there, there probably wouldn't be that "deconstruction" anime that you like. That being said, while being something good, it isn't exactly the best thing to make someone get into anime. Sure, KonoSuba is good, but your friend won't get the appeal if he doesn't know what J-RPGs or Isekai is. That's why anime such as Death Note or Code Geass is so recommended: Because not only you don't have to have previous package in order to be able to enjoy it 100%, but they also GIVE YOU some package for future stuff.

Well, that's what i think.

I personally only want as many people as possible to have the same nice experience with anime I have I don't care if they only watch sao etc as long as they enjoy it I don't care just one more thing recommending code Geass but it has a lot of plot holes and the series itself is best described as contrived
Feb 24, 2018 9:37 PM

Aug 2015
My top 3 are pretty entry level stuff, or at least don't require that much prior knowledge

Code Geass. Entry level, I know, but, aside from me watching it as a kid, which doesn't count cos I barely remember it, I've only actually sat down and watch this when I've already watched 200-330ish anime, and it was still good lol.

White Album 2. Romance, that's literally what it's about. Doesn't contain much references if at all, and should digest the same way as your average TV drama. Still very good though IMO. I mean it is in my favorites. Just have to explain why it has 2 in the title, and why its parent series dont matter whatsoever lol.

Steins;Gate. Okay, this one might require prior knowledge. I watched this when I haven't watched that much anime yet.... I think. Didn't have a MAL account back then lol. I managed to enjoy it ofc, even in that first watch, but having gone back to the series, I was surprised by how many references, and even innuendos I missed(I wasn't that acquainted with perversion back then lol. Now, I can come up with innuendos for anything. Hoo fucking ray lol). This has a lot of rewatchability though so I think it'd be fine to introduce a newcomer to this one. Also, I haven't finished the VN yet, and writing this just made me rmbr. Better get back to that soon lol.

Btw, this list was not in order lol
Feb 24, 2018 9:48 PM

Jan 2016
StarSwoardsman said:
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood and Death Note made me realize that there were Anime shows that were made for adults. But, Darker than Black and One Piece made me want to watch alot of more anime.
Sword Art Online and Attack on Titan aren't gonna make me want to watch more anime.
GreenClockFeb 24, 2018 9:52 PM
The word elitist is stupid since it's just used by people who can't defend their favorite shows and use it on people who criticize their favorite shows.
Feb 24, 2018 9:52 PM

Jan 2018
Black_Flower_1 said:
StarSwoardsman said:
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood and Death Note made me realize that there were Anime shows that were made for adults. But, Darker than Black and One Piece made me want to watch alot of more anime.
~~Sword Art Online and Attack on Titan aren't gonna make you want to watch more anime~~

Not true at all. Those two shows are the reason why Anime had a nice boom after 2013.

They were very accessible and had good premises. Both good shows (yes, SAO is a good show) and Attack Titan in particular created a lot of excitement. Whenever I talk about anime and mention those two shows to non anime friends, their interest is more pegged than say Cowboy Bebop (which is probably the biggest crossover hit once people watch it). I started a few friends on AOT and they are now watching more Anime. One finished AOT in one weekend.

The point is that if you are new to Anime or haven't watched a ton, SAO and AOT are good shows to start out with as you'll watching something entertaining and realize that Anime has something to offer and then want to watch more.
Feb 24, 2018 9:54 PM

Jul 2012
I think the entire concept is inherently a wasted endeavor. If you were friends and you really wanted to share that specific common interest then shouldn't the friend of their own desire search out for series they may enjoy?
I mean they don't even have to try very hard they could just glance through the options on say Netflix and find something that catches their eye. If they find a few options that they enjoyed then you could do things like propose recommendations as follow ups to those. Or show them where they may be able to find similar series to ones they enjoyed.
Not that there's anything wrong with preparing an anime starter pack but I think generally showing an interest in a hobby will naturally cause people close to you to at least give it a chance.
As a follow up to the general question I wouldn't care. I can't say I would expect somebody to spend nearly as much time on anime as I have and even my friends who were nearly as invested as I am still only discussed the really popular series. So it wouldn't really make a difference if they liked anime in general or just say the popular series.
Feb 24, 2018 9:55 PM

Jan 2016
StarSwoardsman said:
Black_Flower_1 said:
~~Sword Art Online and Attack on Titan aren't gonna make you want to watch more anime~~

Not true at all. Those two shows are the reason why Anime had a nice boom after 2013.

They were very accessible and had good premises. Both good shows (yes, SAO is a good show) and Attack Titan in particular created a lot of excitement. Whenever I talk about anime and mention those two shows to non anime friends, their interest is more pegged than say Cowboy Bebop (which is probably the biggest crossover hit once people watch it). I started a few friends on AOT and they are now watching more Anime. One finished AOT in one weekend.

The point is that if you are new to Anime or haven't watched a ton, SAO and AOT are good shows to start out with as you'll watching something entertaining and realize that Anime has something to offer and then want to watch more.
Sword Art Online and Attack on Titan were one of the first animes I watched and I gave them both 1/10.
The word elitist is stupid since it's just used by people who can't defend their favorite shows and use it on people who criticize their favorite shows.
Feb 24, 2018 9:59 PM

Jan 2018
Black_Flower_1 said:
StarSwoardsman said:

Sword Art Online and Attack on Titan were one of the first animes I watched and I gave them both 1/10.

So what? SAO has it's haters, but still has gotten a lot of critical acclaim and has a huge fanbase.

Attack On Titan is still a huge hit and has garnered comparisons to Breaking Bad in terms of it's writing and use of plot twists.

I'd say that you are actually in the minority. But, I guess it's cool to hate a popular show.

BTW, I gave season 1 of SAO a 7/10 and AOT season one a 10/10.
Feb 24, 2018 10:02 PM

Jan 2016
StarSwoardsman said:
Black_Flower_1 said:

So what? SAO has it's haters, but still has gotten a lot of critical acclaim and has a huge fanbase.

Attack On Titan is still a huge hit and has garnered comparisons to Breaking Bad in terms of it's writing and use of plot twists.

I'd say that you are actually in the minority. But, I guess it's cool to hate a popular show.

I don't hate these shows because they're popular. I hate these shows because they're both trash.
Feb 24, 2018 10:04 PM

Jan 2018
Black_Flower_1 said:
StarSwoardsman said:

I don't hate these shows because they're popular. I hate these shows because they're both trash.

That's your opinion. And you are in the VAST minority, even with SAO.
Feb 24, 2018 10:06 PM

Feb 2018
Black_Flower_1 said:
StarSwoardsman said:

Your mean score is 3.66 in a total amount of 307 anime, are you sure you enjoy watching anime at all?
Do not despise others for things they like, cherish what you have in common.

Feb 24, 2018 10:06 PM

Jan 2016
StarSwoardsman said:
Black_Flower_1 said:

Yeah because only smart people know that both these shows are trash. :)
Feb 24, 2018 10:07 PM

Jan 2018
HitaYuutsu said:
Black_Flower_1 said:

Your mean score is 3.66 in a total amount of 307 anime, are you sure you enjoy watching anime at all?

I think he or she only wants to hate on Anime.
Feb 24, 2018 10:08 PM

Jan 2018
Black_Flower_1 said:
StarSwoardsman said:

I just read your list, do you even like Anime?
Feb 24, 2018 10:09 PM

Jan 2016
StarSwoardsman said:
HitaYuutsu said:

Yes I enjoy good shows like Darker than Black and Hunter x Hunter. If I only wanted to hate anime I would have gave everything in my list a 1/10
Feb 24, 2018 10:11 PM

Jan 2018
Black_Flower_1 said:
StarSwoardsman said:

Yes I enjoy good shows like Darker than Black and Hunter x Hunter. If I only wanted to hate anime I would have gave everything in my list a 1/10

That's like only two shows. You gave Steins Gate, a highly regarded show a five and Death Note, another highly regarded show a six. '

I think that you like some Anime, but you don't actually like Anime. Otherwise the majority of your list wouldn't be shows with scores of three, four and five.
Feb 24, 2018 10:13 PM

Jan 2016
StarSwoardsman said:
Black_Flower_1 said:

That's like only two shows. You gave Steins Gate, a highly regarded show a five and Death Note, another highly regarded show a six. '

I think that you like some Anime, but you don't actually like Anime. Otherwise the majority of your list wouldn't be shows with scores of three, four and five.
I only like good anime. I don't rate everything an 8/10
Feb 24, 2018 10:14 PM

Jan 2018
Black_Flower_1 said:
StarSwoardsman said:

I only like good anime. I don't rate everything a 8/10

LOL okay. Like I said, you like SOME Anime, but clearly you are not an Anime fan.
Feb 24, 2018 10:15 PM

Jan 2016
StarSwoardsman said:
Black_Flower_1 said:
I only like good anime. I don't rate everything a 8/10

LOL okay. Like I said, you like SOME Anime, but clearly you are not an Anime fan.
Anime fan doesn't mean someone who gives every single show a good rating.
Feb 24, 2018 10:18 PM

Jan 2018
Black_Flower_1 said:
StarSwoardsman said:

No. But they wouldn't dislike 90% of the shows that they watch.
Feb 24, 2018 10:21 PM

Apr 2015

I choose the second option. The first benefit is that I gain another person to discuss that particular show with. While I discuss anime with some relatives and friends, I would say that most of the anime discussion I take part in are online (in forums/other online platforms). Having another person to discuss, in person, anime with would be a treat!

There are numerous secondary reasons. One relates to cosplay. I knew a person who was the spitting image of Van Hohenheim. While he didn't have sideburns or have his hair in a ponytail, he did have long blonde hair, beard, and robust tall figure. I thought to myself "It'd be interesting to see him cosplay as Van Honheim. If he like Fullmetal Alchemist, he might be open to the idea. Who knows, maybe we can take part in a group cosplay for Anime Expo." That's quite long term thinking, but it does open up possibilities. Second, it could improve their mood. It's painful to be around relatives or friends when they're sulking or in a bad mood. If I see someone being stressed, I might recommend them a CGDCT or Iyashikei show to improve their spirits.
Feb 24, 2018 10:25 PM

Jan 2018
StarSwoardsman said:
Black_Flower_1 said:

You don't know how they calculated their rating on anime. They could have enjoyed the anime and rated it low because it lacked in certain parts.

「 what comes after the rain? 」
add meanime listmanga list

Feb 24, 2018 10:29 PM

Jan 2018
mihyon said:
StarSwoardsman said:

You don't know how they calculated their rating on anime. They could have enjoyed the anime and rated it low because it lacked in certain parts.

Nah that makes no sense. I'll give you example. I enjoyed SAO. But, I didn't think that the writing was good and I am stickler for writing. But, my enjoyment of the series plus the music, animation, some of the characters and certain moments was enough for me to give it a seven.

If you rate something low, you don't like it. Like I gave Soul Eater a six because I think it's mediocre. I like the design, the fights and the characters outside of Blackstar. But, I can't say that I really enjoyed the show.

No one rates a show that they enjoyed a six or below. That makes no sense.
Feb 24, 2018 10:39 PM

Jan 2018
StarSwoardsman said:
mihyon said:

Nah that makes no sense. I'll give you example. I enjoyed SAO. But, I didn't think that the writing was good and I am stickler for writing. But, my enjoyment of the series plus the music, animation, some of the characters and certain moments was enough for me to give it a seven.

If you rate something low, you don't like it. Like I gave Soul Eater a six because I think it's mediocre. I like the design, the fights and the characters outside of Blackstar. But, I can't say that I really enjoyed the show.

MAL's rating is by numbers and its meaning.

4 being bad, and 5 being average - although I know I don't take those scores with my rating, some people may use these numbers as guidelines for their opinions. An example would be giving an anime a score of 5, meaning, that anime is average: nothing amazing, just ok. Yes, you could have enjoyed an average anime, but it does not mean you disliked it.

I'm not justifying this user rating all his anime with 3 & 4, but everyone should be entitled to their opinion. He can be an anime fan and rate low for fun. In the end, we don't know how he calculated his score.

「 what comes after the rain? 」
add meanime listmanga list

Feb 24, 2018 10:45 PM

Jan 2018
mihyon said:
StarSwoardsman said:

4 being bad, and 5 being average - although I know I don't take those scores with my rating, some people may use these numbers as guidelines for their opinions. An example would be giving an anime a score of 5, meaning, that anime is average: nothing amazing, just ok. Yes, you could have enjoyed an average anime, but it does not mean you disliked it.

I'm not justifying this user rating all his anime with 3 & 4, but everyone should be entitled to their opinion. He can be an anime fan and rate low for fun. In the end, we don't know how he calculated his score.
Rate low for fun? Then that's what people call a troll.
Feb 24, 2018 11:09 PM

May 2009
Edit: Buncha things to reply to. Might as well mention this at the start of my post. Interesting post to read, by the way -- thanks for sharing.

thewiru said:
I think this is an interesting distinction, especially since I come from the "other side" with regards to it. Tell me if I'm wrong, but it seems that you think that not being a fan of the "anime" medium as a whole is somehow not worth it.

I can be counted as an "anime fan", and after all I do have a freakin' MAL account, I do know more than a layperson does about the industry, but I definitely feel that I'm not really a fan of "anime" as a whole medium. I feel no impulse to watch more anime just for the sake of watching more anime, or to watch "great" series, or to watch anime of different genres just to be more knowledgeable about the medium, or keep up with the current season, or to stay up-to-date with news and info about the industry and the fandom and what shows are hot etc. -- I've just followed my own tastes, and done whatever I want with it. And I of course have genres/tropes/etc. I like and dislike, e.g. I might put up parts of a show I dislike (e.g. the fanservice) while enjoying other parts that I like (e.g. the setting development and character drama). (But frankly, aren't we all like that -- in having some aspects we like and some aspects we dislike?)

> "What do you gain with that?"
Well, I've personally had a lot of meaningful experiences with the series I've watched, and if I went back in time and had the choice, I'd do it again.

So, TL;DR, I don't see how it's a bad thing to "like SOME anime". If I am misunderstanding you, though, please correct/explain.

(Now maybe you can say "well, you're basically a fan of the medium, given that you're able to pick out series to watch and do so all on your own, and you do do it often", so, well, okay.

thewiru said:
Imagine you met someone who never listened to music, and you want him to like music, would make him listen to Vivaldi's Four Seasons for 10 hours straight as his first contact to music?
No, because Vivaldi's Four Seasons don't last 10 hours. :P

More relevantly, though how about this example: If someone you know likes jazz a lot, and you wanted to introduce them to classical music, wouldn't you show them Gershwin, who wrote pieces that bridged jazz styles and classical forms/instrumentation? How about Debussy, or Milhaud, or other impressionist composers whose use of harmony was indeed influenced by and in turn influenced jazz? (Or heck, the miraculous presaging of boogie-woogie in Beethoven's very last piano sonata.) They'd certainly make more sense than showing the person Corelli trio sonatas or Bach fugues. But if the person does get interested, then you can walk them backwards through the evolution of Romantic-period harmony, and back to more "traditional" stuff like Mozart's works, so they can see how this led to that led to this led to that led to stuff they started out knowing, and suddenly they might be more interested in it. Just an example.

thewiru said:
The thing is, if you're going out of your way to pick anime that YOU DON'T CONSUME in your daily basis in order to make someone "like" anime, you're doing it wrong. Let's suppose someone there DID LIKE such anime, what would they do? Go back to watching TV series or movies because those you recommended are not "the rule" in anime, but the exception.
The way I see this statement highlights how there's just different kinds of anime fans. And frankly speaking it shouldn't really be a surprise that there are different kinds of anime fans -- there's such a variety of things (and ways to appreciate them) to choose from in the medium itself! There's no reason for someone to have to enjoy anime "your" way or "my" way, and forcing someone to do that might instead just turn them off to it. There's nothing saying that they HAVE to watch/like/know about/etc. the shows that you or any average hardcore anime fan needs to watch. I've gone for years without having watched a number of well-regarded and/or popular series (e.g. most major shounen long-runners (except Naruto, see below), SAO, FMAB (other than a few eps), Cowboy Bebop, KonoSuba, AzuDai, Lucky Star, Jojo, Love Live, Hellsing, Cardcaptor Sakura, KLK (and most of Trigger's works, as I discovered one day), Attack on Titan, ...the list goes on and on) and...I don't really feel like I'm missing much by not having watched them (aside from it being difficult to find merch for stuff I have watched, at cons). If I wanna watch them in the future, that'll be when I'm in the mood for it, so I'm okay with that too.

There's just so much to choose from. If someone wants to watch gloomy atmospheric/philosophical stuff, their niche is well-served; if someone else wants to watch "shallow" fanservice harem series, their desires are also catered to. I like fantasy and sci-fi stuff, so I mainly watch those, with a smattering of...random other crap as fits my whims, because I can.

thewiru said:
People commit the same mistake when trying to get people into anime. The definition of what a "fan" is that i use is "Someone that likes and continuosly consumes something", based on that, i made a "How to get any normie into being an anime fan" guide in portuguese, and to simplify it, it was: Break the image such normie has about anime, introduce him to influential anime that made entire tropes and that need no previous knowledge of tropes in order to be enjoyed, introduce him to a plethora of different genres and, finally, make him watch seasonal anime.
This might be interesting...lemme go back through my own personal history to see how I ended up here.

So, as a kid, I watched kids TV shows. Some PBS edutainment, of course as well as western cartoons like AoSonicTH and Mega Man, and anime shows like Voltron and Pokémon. (I didn't like DBZ, I was eh on Sailor Moon, and I didn't care for Yugioh. I'm still curious about Digimon, though, even to this day.) I also played videogames a lot; I was big into Pokémon and other (arguably more conventional) JRPGs, later getting into some Final Fantasy games. Also big on platformers like Mega Man, Mario, and so forth.

Fast forward some years. I ended up watching Neon Genesis Evangelion. Really liked it, and if anything that was my "break the image" thing, because I was generally not very interested in anime before that, mainly due to a lack of interest in that "wacky anime humor" thing (y'know, Lucky Star, Excel Saga, that sort of thing). Note that, before this, I actually had watched a good chunk of Naruto, simply by hanging out with this one friend who watched it. That got me vaguely interested in Naruto, but not interested enough to pick it up on my own (neither Naruto itself nor anime in general). On the other hand, what NGE did for me was actually give me a story that emotionally resonated with me, and in retrospect it turned out that was the key.

I still didn't really pick up anime much after that, though. I asked for recs, and someone pointed me to Noir, which I started watching but sorta put down without much interest.

Then I watched Kiddy Grade by accident. I say "by accident" because it just showed up on YouTube (I think I might have found it through its ending theme, and I should probably briefly mention that music is sort of a big thing for me) and I just started watching it on a whim, and I wasn't expecting much out of it, and HOLY SHIT was I wrong. I cried buckets over it and it's still one of my all-time favorites to this day.

That got me interested in looking for more anime series to watch. I went from there to several other sci-fi shows, which I enjoyed, and then someone recced me Nanoha, which I liked a lot too, and things basically took off from this point on.

Meanwhile, "influential anime that made entire tropes"? I largely ignored those (though I guess Nanoha can count? I did watch Haruhi but that was only years after its release). "a plethora of different genres"? Nah, I don't really feel much need to go out and explore other genres. And of course, I don't do seasonal watching at all.

Anyhow, I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader, to decide whether I count as a "normie", whatever that means these days.

thewiru said:
This approach can run into the problem of, what if the person doesn't like those tropes? You're not gonna have a one-size-fits-all solution for this.

Sure, you can try to "convert" a person into the seasonal-watching hardcore fan who keeps up with the fandom all the time and knows all the memes and so forth, but...at the end of the day, they have to want that themselves.

(And on "western-styled", I should probably mention that I'm not really a Japanophile at all. Another thing that probably makes me "odd" compared to the usual anime fan stereotype. I'm obviously not a Japanophobe either (or else I wouldn't be here!); I'm just sorta indifferent to Japan as a whole.)

thewiru said:
If not by many "generic" ones being there, there probably wouldn't be that "deconstruction" anime that you like. That being said, while being something good, it isn't exactly the best thing to make someone get into anime. Sure, KonoSuba is good, but your friend won't get the appeal if he doesn't know what J-RPGs or Isekai is.
I think you have a very useful point here. I think this might have been part of what "went wrong" that made me dislike Madoka Magica. I haven't watched a crapton of magical girl shows, nor had that much exposure to the perspective of seeing them as a bunch of consistent tropes to the point of being cliché (and frankly speaking, I personally don't like thinking that way anyway), so when I encountered a show that (allegedly) "deconstructs" those tropes, that design didn't have much impact for me.

thewiru said:
That's why anime such as Death Note or Code Geass is so recommended: Because not only you don't have to have previous package in order to be able to enjoy it 100%, but they also GIVE YOU some package for future stuff.
What do Death Note and Code Geass "give you for future stuff" that Evangelion, Akira, Angel's Egg, and Lain not give? I'm confused, here.
GlennMagusHarveyFeb 24, 2018 11:18 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 24, 2018 11:41 PM

Jul 2017
I would recommend them to start with To Love Ru/ Heaven's Lost property, then something milder.
Fan-services give them a good reason to watch anime, and in the mean time they have enough time to understand how anime comedies and characters work. Once they get the idea how to have fun with their toys, a lot of anime would be enjoyable for them.

Don't give them those "perfect anime" that early, they would grow tired of anime easily or have a wrong idea about modern anime.
nbyung09Feb 24, 2018 11:45 PM
Feb 25, 2018 12:08 AM

Jan 2016
StarSwoardsman said:
Black_Flower_1 said:

And they certainly wouldn't give all anime good ratings.
Feb 25, 2018 12:11 AM

Jan 2016
StarSwoardsman said:
mihyon said:

Rate low for fun? Then that's what people call a troll.
I don't rate anime low for fun. How is rating an anime low fun? I rate shows the rating they deserve.
Feb 25, 2018 1:13 AM

Aug 2014
Don´t show anyone something after 2008-2010 that never watched anime. People that are not into anime reacts quite strongly IMO and after my test against the moeblobs anime that is now days. If i show people oldschool art 2000-2008. They seem to be more open minded about it. If it´s not anime like later shows steins;gate with a theme the art the people actually look more like people.

But´s its only what I have experienced with.
Feb 25, 2018 2:05 AM

Nov 2014
You do make a point. Except I'm not too interested in getting people into anime, it's a level of investment and dedication that I don't have. It's always easy to get them onto a few anime (of varying genres btw), but never easy to make sure they stay on it.

My approach to things is just watch my anime in the open, then if anyone asks me about it, I'll tell them the series. I'd usually only go into recommending for people that are already somewhat into anime, I usually go with the person knowing anime seasons exist and checks it as a benchmark.

thewiru said:
1 - Your favorite anime:

2 - Anime of his/her favorite genre:

3 - Western Styled Anime:

4 - Anime for otaku:
I can see why people try to get people into anime these ways, and I generally agree with you (except no. 2)

1. Favourite Anime 4. Otaku Anime
I've never been particularly enthusiastic pushing my favourite anime onto people, I know my taste aren't shared by the majority. Not recommending "otaku" anime to normal is not just good advice for recommending anime, but a good advice to just being a decent human being.

2. Anime of his/her favourite genre
I'd say this is the approach I kinda take, it's the lazy and easy way. From then most of the time I scroll through the seasonal anime next to them and highlight all the anime of that genre. There's a lot of anime in all genres that are pretty entry level with mild anime stereotypes. This gets them exposed and familiar with anime seasons.

I'll also mention those that seem to be gaining some traction, because then hype does some work for me.

Once they are familiar enough, I'll occasionally put in serious recommendations at them from other genres. As in SERIOUS recommendations, like maybe 1 or 2 a YEAR level. Don't shove 5 anime a season at them because you'll be the first opinion they'll tune out.

3. Western Styled Anime
I dunno, I don't even like those myself :P
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Feb 25, 2018 4:23 AM
Jul 2018
Here’s a question for you OP:

Why is it so important for you that other people like or not like cartoons?

Why do you care so much if someone doesn’t like them? Why do you think that they MUST like anime?
Feb 25, 2018 4:51 AM

Jun 2015
Black_Flower_1 said:
StarSwoardsman said:

>"Smart people"
>calling SAO trash.

yep I know a garbage opinion when I see one.

OT. I'd rather people like specific anime (or genre) because that is more feasible. Having different tastes makes for a better discussion rather than everybody agreeing that anime is God's gift to mankind.
Feb 25, 2018 10:49 AM

Jan 2016
Brb said:
Black_Flower_1 said:

>"Smart people"
>calling SAO trash.

yep I know a garbage opinion when I see one.

OT. I'd rather people like specific anime (or genre) because that is more feasible. Having different tastes makes for a better discussion rather than everybody agreeing that anime is God's gift to mankind.
It's not my problem you can't accept that a show you like is trash.
Feb 25, 2018 10:55 AM

Jan 2016
EcchiKnightDarek said:
Black_Flower_1 said:
It's not my problem you can't accept that a show you like is trash.
It's not my problem you can't accept that a show you don't like is not trash.
I don't wanna hear it from the one who has Kill la Kill on his favorites.
Feb 25, 2018 11:02 AM

May 2009
EcchiKnightDarek said:
Black_Flower_1 said:
I don't wanna hear it from the one who has Kill la Kill on his favorites.
Damn, just when I removed the comment about ad hominems from my profile, weird timing. Unfortunately for you Kill la Kill is a good show.
Some people just like to lord their tastes over others by declaring stuff other people like to be trash. I guess Black_Flower_1 is one of them.
Feb 25, 2018 11:05 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
SupremeEdgelord said:
Here’s a question for you OP:

Why is it so important for you that other people like or not like cartoons?

Why do you care so much if someone doesn’t like them? Why do you think that they MUST like anime?

this is the question we must ask

this just brings more crybabies and people who eventually drop the medium into the community, just cause you "get someone into anime", doens't mean theyre not going to bring with them all their original biases

Feb 25, 2018 11:15 AM
dozing general

Oct 2017
Honestly I think I do just want to get people to watch some anime. I personally am in the same boat as @GlennMagusHarvey, I wouldn’t necessarily call myself a “fan of the medium” in the sense that I watch an anime just because it’s anime. I’d just like to be able to discuss some shows with friends.

That being said, I do see value in finding them the “right” anime to watch so they’ll actually want to watch other shows and you aren’t just dragging them through it. This was an interesting read either way OP
Feb 25, 2018 11:15 AM

May 2009
EcchiKnightDarek said:
Well... you're not exactly wrong, on the other hand what are you suggesting? to continue the circlejerk of the same anime and manga being recommended for starters? Hell, I lowkey want to get my sister into anime because I know she would like it. But I sure as hell won't be getting her into it through CLANNAD, Code Geass, Death Note or whatever.

I think that constant circlejerk is just as much of an issue. I lowkey regret I myself got into anime through Code Geass, even though it was a fun show, which I plan to rewatch soon, I wish I was recommended something else, different, at this point everyone starts at the same point, most of these' people tastes rarely expand beyond that point, they rarely try anything that isn't immensely popular like the shows they started with. It took me a forgotten seasonal from a few years back (So Ra No Wo To) to get away from that circle myself and expand my tastes and horizons far beyond the same old anime EVERYONE and their mothers watched.

What I think the true issue is, is not what anime we recommend. But instead, who we recommend it to. Some people just want to force it on anybody, with no reason what so ever. Other than to prove them that anime is different than they say, that is. "Why are you getting someone into it in the first place?" and "Who are you getting into it?" Are more important question than "How do I do it?". I want to get my sis because she likes storytelling, she is quite open minded, and openly admitted she may get into anime if she ever gets more time herself. Those are pretty good reason I'd say, but if all some people want is to get them into it just because, that is the issue here.
To be fair, OP is basically giving a relatively good set of instructions for the purpose of dunking someone in the anime fandom culture.

Just that doing so isn't likely to meet with success.

OP's "methodology" (not sure what better word to use) basically has two components:

1. Show shows that the fandom watches on a regular basis, or more accurately, show them shows with tropes that the fandom encounters on a regular basis. And get them into other stuff that the fandom does on a regular basis. Don't just show them the cream of the crop, don't just show them stuff that appeals to their slice of tastes, etc..

2. When picking shows to recommend, pick ones that are easy for other people to get into, without prior knowledge. You want to give potential new fans easy-to-pick-up instances of these tropes. You don't want them to feel put off by needing to watch a bunch of shows of X genre/series before watching the show you're reccing them.

The second point is more broadly applicable in general.

But the first point seems like something that might only interest someone (1) who's already inclined to like anime, and certainly curious about it, but just not knowledgeable/informed about where to start, or (2) who is an anthropologist interested in studying the anime fandom. It's not as great for actually building someone's inclination to like anime, if they don't already have such an inclination. (And personally I'd recommend against attempting to "build someone's inclination" as an agenda...these things generally happen naturally and if you force them you risk seeming really ham-handed.)

_Yuna_ said:
Honestly I think I do just want to get people to watch some anime. I personally am in the same boat as @GlennMagusHarvey, I wouldn’t necessarily call myself a “fan of the medium” in the sense that I watch an anime just because it’s anime. I’d just like to be able to discuss some shows with friends.

That being said, I do see value in finding them the “right” anime to watch so they’ll actually want to watch other shows and you aren’t just dragging them through it. This was an interesting read either way OP
holy crap someone read my long-arse post hahahaha

(thanks)
Feb 25, 2018 11:30 AM

Jan 2018
I think slice of life/action anime genre would have a fair chance of captivating people's heart in general. Even my male friends that don't watch anime at all mentioned crayon shin chan, doraemon, hagemaru, chibi maruko chan and dragon ball. These were all aired on tv and dubbed in our language though.

So for the most part that's a hindrance I think would be the language barrier based on where I'm from.
Feb 25, 2018 11:41 AM

Oct 2012
StarSwoardsman said:
mihyon said:

I enjoyed some shows I rated a five to an extent. Five is average for me. I can enjoy something I think is average. You sure are making a lot of assumptions in this thread.
Feb 25, 2018 11:48 AM

Feb 2013
Yup. That's all exactly why I do not recommend Madoka as a first anime.
Go watch Sailor Moon first.
Feb 25, 2018 12:10 PM

Feb 2014
@GlennMagusHarvey

"I can be counted as an "anime fan", and after all I do have a freakin' MAL account, I do know more than a layperson does about the industry, but I definitely feel that I'm not really a fan of "anime" as a whole medium. I feel no impulse to watch more anime just for the sake of watching more anime, or to watch "great" series, or to watch anime of different genres just to be more knowledgeable about the medium, or keep up with the current season, or to stay up-to-date with news and info about the industry and the fandom and what shows are hot etc. -- I've just followed my own tastes, and done whatever I want with it. And I of course have genres/tropes/etc. I like and dislike, e.g. I might put up parts of a show I dislike (e.g. the fanservice) while enjoying other parts that I like (e.g. the setting development and character drama). (But frankly, aren't we all like that -- in having some aspects we like and some aspects we dislike?)"

All roads lead to Rome. Even tough i only presented two options, they are not the only, rather, they are the extremes, there are things inbetween them, you case, for instance.
What i do consider to not be worth, however, is to show people anime "for the sake of being anime" but not introduce them to the whole medium. This thread was partially inspired by this video, i think it may help you to understand better, though i don't agree 100% with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUlPoWt4yik

That being said, i wasn't talking specifically about your case when i envisioned this thread.

"(Now maybe you can say "well, you're basically a fan of the medium, given that you're able to pick out series to watch and do so all on your own, and you do do it often", so, well, okay."

Pretty much that. Of course there is no way you're going to end up liking every anime and every genre, the main point was: What does anime has that it makes you come back to it from time to time?

"No, because Vivaldi's Four Seasons don't last 10 hours. :P"

I'm not very good at showing examples.
The point of it was to show that, if i were to introduce someone to cars, i wouldn't start with a Benz Velo, rather, i would go for something that is more of a "balanced dish", and then go to specifics.

It is not that people SHOULDN'T use other methods, but rather, my post talks about getting A SPECIFIC RESULTS and the best methods to achieve such specific results. It may be that my methods won't work for certain people while the methods i "advocate against" do.

"There's just so much to choose from. If someone wants to watch gloomy atmospheric/philosophical stuff, their niche is well-served; if someone else wants to watch "shallow" fanservice harem series, their desires are also catered to. I like fantasy and sci-fi stuff, so I mainly watch those, with a smattering of...random other crap as fits my whims, because I can."

I would say that i didn't watch all the "famous stuff" either, to be honest, i would only go to watch Code Geass and Death Note the previous year, and have yet not watched things like Steins;Gate or FMA:B.
The thing is: My methods do not revolve around watching famous stuff, quite the contrary, actually, they do revolve around being able to watch and understand "pretty much anything", though focused on "seasonal anime".

And, as i said: All roads lead to Rome. My methods are specific ones for specific results. Not even me was 100% introduced to anime by such methods, but i can say for myself that i would have prefered.
If your objectives differ from mine, feel free to change some things, as my methods are based on what I envision to make the best enviroment.

"Meanwhile, "influential anime that made entire tropes"? I largely ignored those (though I guess Nanoha can count? I did watch Haruhi but that was only years after its release). "a plethora of different genres"? Nah, I don't really feel much need to go out and explore other genres. And of course, I don't do seasonal watching at all.
"

For my case, i tend not to link the fact that i did watch anime as i kid, to the fact i became a fan later on.
I feel like even if i had not watched InuYasha or Pokemon when i was like, 5? Nor watched Naruto when i was 9, nor watched Digimon Frontier/Savers when i was 11, i would still have become a fan one way or the other.
I don't remember having any idols, but when i was younger, what i sought to be was one of the "famous people with shiny avatars and anime signatures i used to find on anime-styled games", for me, just watching them discussing about it, even if i did not understand a thing, was magical... Let alone that i always love the anime aesthetic.

Now, for the "entire tropes" part: It doesn't have to be a FAMOUS anime, any anime that introduces you to such tropes serve, you probably had your own. What may change, however, is your experience with it:
For instance, when i was looking to get into Mecha, i asked a mechafag in the LoL forums for some recomendations, and he led me his top 5 favorite, so i began with "Getter Robo Armageddon".
I hated it, dropped after 3 episodes, but it did introduce me to some tropes like "You "are" your mecha" and etc, which made my experience better for subsequent mecha anime that i watched.

It is only a matter of if you wanted to learn how to swim with a floater or by being being trown into a deep pool.

"This approach can run into the problem of, what if the person doesn't like
those tropes? You're not gonna have a one-size-fits-all solution for this".

Then they will probably turn out to be the fellow up there with a 3,6 mean score.
You don't have to like every trope, but if you end up hating many of them it will be troublesome to keep finding anime you like.

"What do Death Note and Code Geass "give you for future stuff" that Evangelion, Akira, Angel's Egg, and Lain not give? I'm confused, here."

DN and CG teach you how to swin by being your teacher in a 1.5 meters deep pool while you have a life jacket.

Evangelion, Akira, Angel's Egg, and Lain do so by making you jump of the diving board into a deep lake.

Basically, starting with the latter is like your case of "starting" Mahou Shoujo with Madoka.
Feb 25, 2018 12:18 PM

Jan 2018
simonephone said:
StarSwoardsman said:

I enjoyed some shows I rated a five to an extent. Five is average for me. I can enjoy something I think is average. You sure are making a lot of assumptions in this thread.

Most normal people don't say they enjoy something that is average. If you like average things then that usually means that you yourself are average.
Feb 25, 2018 12:22 PM

Feb 2014
nbyung09 said:
I would recommend them to start with To Love Ru/ Heaven's Lost property, then something milder.
Fan-services give them a good reason to watch anime, and in the mean time they have enough time to understand how anime comedies and characters work. Once they get the idea how to have fun with their toys, a lot of anime would be enjoyable for them.

Don't give them those "perfect anime" that early, they would grow tired of anime easily or have a wrong idea about modern anime.

That's pretty much what i said.

Oh well, i'm not the best at expressing myself, so i may have not said that, but that is what i think.
Feb 25, 2018 12:24 PM

Jun 2017
Just show Kimi no na wa. It looks good, have a decent story, its not too long and is good overall as a starter anime.

Please dont reply to me things like "hahah overrated show", thanks

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - Yesterday

64 by Epiccgaymer »»
8 minutes ago

» Endless eight and mental health concerns

trinitroglycerin - 9 hours ago

9 by BitChilly »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Who is your favorite imas secretary?

Shizuna - Yesterday

19 by Shizuna »»
20 minutes ago

» Would you support AI generated Anime?

Dragevard - 11 hours ago

34 by Vaturna »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » Your favourite romance ( 1 2 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 30

92 by Buny0058 »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.