Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 7, 2017 10:44 AM
May 2016
When you got a large anime/manga list is quite annoying to have like 2, 3 or even more entries for only one series because of OVAs, specials, sequels and movies

It would be great to add the option to combine separate entries from the same series to one expandable or something like that to make it more comfortable.
Jan 7, 2017 10:48 AM

Jul 2010
What do you mean? in your list or something? Because otherwise combing them wouldn't make much sense on this site
Jan 7, 2017 11:00 AM
May 2016
Tenth said:
What do you mean? in your list or something? Because otherwise combing them wouldn't make much sense on this site

I mean adding the option to combine your entries from your own anime/manga list so you don't have 3 entries in your list for a single series with different seasons or movies
Jan 7, 2017 11:02 AM

Oct 2014
This would be a great feature, but there must be a reason for not doing it since the mods never outright rejected it but it's been suggested a good dozen times or so that I've personally witnessed. This would be especially useful for things like Kiniro Mosaic and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei where the entries don't even fall into chronological order.
Jan 7, 2017 11:16 AM

Feb 2015
So S1 that OVA is not included, do you want it to be included in the S1.... I'd dig for it if there's a way to do it...
Jan 7, 2017 12:00 PM

Dec 2015
I'd support this as well. We had another few threads about suggestions regarding the rating (scoring) system that talked about "franchises". Now they shouldn't be grouped (would be too much). But directly related stuff: 2 directly related Gundam with the same chars like the Tekketsu no Orphans Season 1 + Season - for example. Or series like Natsume Yuujinchou.

Would be nice if they could be grouped.
+ maybe allow us to give an overall score for that group and show this as anime in your favorites next to the char.
There was another problem where for some chars some less important anime are shown if the char appears in more than 1 anime and by default it shows the one that aired 1st.
Jan 7, 2017 1:25 PM

Mar 2013
I would personally find it really awesome to have 'franchise bubbles' available in lists. They would basically be a grouped presentation of various entries added to your list, centered around a parent entry.

The sweet thing about this is that the connections between certain entries and sorting (parent, spin-off, sequel, etc.) is already established right now, so generating these bubbles would not be that much of an issue as far as coding the logic in the back is concerned.
Jan 7, 2017 5:31 PM

Apr 2016
I actually like the idea, like clicking on the anime/manga and it expands in your list and shows all the franchises you watched (or PTW).
Jan 9, 2017 10:14 AM
May 2016
Subpyro said:
I would personally find it really awesome to have 'franchise bubbles' available in lists. They would basically be a grouped presentation of various entries added to your list, centered around a parent entry.

The sweet thing about this is that the connections between certain entries and sorting (parent, spin-off, sequel, etc.) is already established right now, so generating these bubbles would not be that much of an issue as far as coding the logic in the back is concerned.

Yeah, it would have a cleaner view and would simplify looking for different animes, and every gruoped entrie could be like a expandable list where you could choose its order: chronologically, alphabetically, airing time...
Jan 9, 2017 2:58 PM
Jul 2018
Wait so what you mean is that on my list I could have an option to group franchises?

so if I take a big one like Dragon Ball

I can have it on my list as

Dragon Ball Franchise ˅
- Dragon Ball
- Dragon Ball Z
- Dragon Ball Super
- Dragon Ball GT
- All the specials ETC.

But the database stays the same as if all the entries are still separate on MAL database?

Hell fucking yes! that is a great idea, as long as it's optional that is, since some people have their lists with CSS and them being forced to change it quickly would suck probably
Jan 11, 2017 10:32 AM
Nov 2015
Yes, having drop down lists for different seasons would help greatly. Plus rating a whole series as well as individual seasons would also be a huge benefit.
Jan 12, 2017 5:30 AM

Nov 2014
I like this idea, but only if it doesn't break other lists. For example how would PTW look? If I add sequel to series that I already have on my Completed list, would it show grouped together with completed entries in PTW? Or as a separate entry? If together, would adding sequel to Watching remove Completed entry from my list (the same way "re-watching" does now)?
Another problem is what to group. There are many series that are connected very loosely and it'd be pain to make clear rules what should be connected and what not.

Idea is great and I'd love to see it implemented, but I think it's too complicated and would require a lot of manual work by moderators, so I doubt we will get it.
Jan 12, 2017 7:37 AM
May 2016
Terkhev said:
I like this idea, but only if it doesn't break other lists. For example how would PTW look? If I add sequel to series that I already have on my Completed list, would it show grouped together with completed entries in PTW? Or as a separate entry? If together, would adding sequel to Watching remove Completed entry from my list (the same way "re-watching" does now)?
Another problem is what to group. There are many series that are connected very loosely and it'd be pain to make clear rules what should be connected and what not.

Idea is great and I'd love to see it implemented, but I think it's too complicated and would require a lot of manual work by moderators, so I doubt we will get it.

The entries would only group when they are in the same status, for example if you watched Dragon ball and you're watching DB Z it wouldn't be grouped, and if you're watching them at the same time (for any reason) they would be shown as one.
However the grouped series would only be the directly connected ones, like movies, OVAs, sequels etc. Series like steins;gate and occutic;nine with almost no connection won't show together. Another option could be that you choose wich series you want to group from the same franchise.
Jan 12, 2017 8:32 AM
Jul 2018
It'd be great if you could just rate the franchise in your list only and not on MAL. It'd make some series like Kara no Kyoukai or Broken Blade easier to rate and also consume less space in the list. Having a "folder" named Kara no Kyoukai with X total rating would be great instead of having 6 separate entries.
Jan 14, 2017 9:49 AM
Nov 2016
I support the idea since it gives us a very clear way to not only use, but to "debug" a little MyAnimeList because there are many manga and anime series that have a lot of episodes and seasons, lots of OVAs, movies and Fan service.
It is a great idea and it would not be a recommendation, but rather an urgency, since series like Fairy Tail, One Piece and some others, need it.
Jan 15, 2017 1:15 AM

Aug 2013
Malgraph have decent franchise listing under Recommended tab that I used "to complete" certain anime series that I have missed.

Not sure if MAL needed the franchise listing, but I kinda hate to go through "Related Media" in the entry. Im much prefer a list (like search result)

Best if MAL can list them in order (sort by airing date, or story chronological order, sequel / prequel)
Nah, i dont think sharing anime ratings in signature is cool thing.

Here, stare at this pointless signature instead.
Jan 16, 2017 11:59 AM
Nov 2015
I need this so bad :(
Jan 16, 2017 12:39 PM

Dec 2015
This could also help for "movie series" and those split-cour anime that are basically the same series ... but just split (and therefore getting 2 database entries on MAL). Just saying ... cause somebody else recently made another thread about split-cour where he wanted them as 1 database entry.

If there was an overall "parent entry" that you could score and show in your list (+ some button for toggling between showing all or only showing the parent entries) you could keep the individual entries as well and all everyone would be satisfied.
Jan 16, 2017 3:54 PM

Jan 2009
Xinil the main site administrator of MAL said they will implement it a year ago in the reddit/r/anime AMA but its already 2017 and no news about it

and also this has been suggested before
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1340223
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1371383
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=564503
Jan 16, 2017 8:01 PM

Sep 2011
j0x said:
Xinil the main site administrator of MAL said they will implement it a year ago in the reddit/r/anime AMA but its already 2017 and no news about it

Prob due to database/coding. Not to mention all the other stuff that takes priority over it.
Jan 16, 2017 8:25 PM

Jan 2009
Tyrel said:
j0x said:

Prob due to database/coding. Not to mention all the other stuff that takes priority over it.

thats more likely, i just wish that Xinil or any MAL developer would actually give some ETA on their plans about MAL

More topics from this board

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

19 by k1rb »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.