Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 7, 2014 4:09 PM

Dec 2013
Why should i watch it ?

Let me start, by saying HXH 2011 is amazing, i loved and enjoy every single second of the anime until the end of Yorknew City arc. overall so far 9.5/10

The Bad : When Greed Island Arc started it confused me, it deviates from the plot or had little bit to do with it, to say the least. For me it started going downhill at that moment, however it was still enjoyable and fun. rating of the arc 7.8/10

Now After that arc, it seemed that killua and Gon were about to hop into the main plot once again. Only to find out that we come a cross a damn giantic chimera ant ? i thought it was a joke and it would be a filler, but it actually turned into a huuuuuuuuuuge arc.

To say the least let me just add that i was enjoying so much the overall areas of the anime like the fighting style and the main story, until these weird creatures came into it.

Can someone please explain me why this is happening. i like animes that even though they had nothing of realistic on it they still grasp that feeling by only involving humanoids ( like demons or angels, etc) or mutants that resemble humans , however the idea of talking animals was not really appealing to me.

Once again if someone could please let me know why should i watch it, cause I just dropped it and i want to know if its any good or if you agree with me. I really need someone to tell me the good of this arc and how it is exciting to watch it.
L-AzuaraMay 7, 2014 4:20 PM
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 7, 2014 4:18 PM

Jul 2007
The theme of the arc is about being human vs being a monster. This concept was explored to a huge extent developing the characters physic to an outstanding degree, the likes of which you have never seen in previous arcs. The ants are introduced as inhuman monsters but certain things change and you question the morality and the intentions of many of these ant characters. I don't want to spoil it. But the culmination of these humanistic natures and what it defines as a human or a monster is absolutely one of the most brilliant elements to the arc and the show as a whole.

This arc does play a huge significant role in the overarching storyline as well. if your a fan of yu yu hakusho, many of the idea's for this arc was used in conjunction with the YYH manga. In any case its a arc not to be missed, also the arc that follows it really dives deeper into more world development and introducing more elements of the series that are quite interesting, with some of the most startling revelations in the whole show.

Also the violence and the mature rated content is at its peak pretty much in the CA arc. Now if that sounds like something that interests you, then i would check it out at least. If you don't like it, then go watch something else.
ArtimesGamerMay 7, 2014 4:21 PM

May 7, 2014 4:20 PM

Feb 2012
I love the arc myself, some pacing issues here and there but it's a deep, emotional, epic saga with lots of great classic-to-be moments, ingenious ideas, beautiful and ambitious writing. Gon and Killua had major character's development. Its premises is that when humanity faces with the world order being re-shuffled by a threatening new species, what're the desperate measures human would take, and really all the beautiful ugliness of what human would do.

But for you, Just drop it. Anime is just entertainment, no need to beg for motivation and be convinced into watching something you felt like have no appeal to you. There're tons of other shows.
May 7, 2014 4:45 PM

Jun 2009
Well, it seems going by the OP you probably won't care for this arc. As, obviously, alot of the major characters aren't human. Though, as link9us said, humanity and what exactly that means are a big part of the arc.

For me, I was a fan of the series before this arc. But, as Chimera Ant has progressed HxH has become my favorite shounen. It takes Killua and, especially, Gon in an interesting direction, introduces some fantastic new characters, refuses to paint things in a black and white way, and presents some thought provoking themes.

Also, the Chimera Ant King is a great, great, great character.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 7, 2014 4:55 PM
Apr 2013
Maybe Chimera Ant arc is not one of the "best arcs," but it is definitely one of the most morally complex. If that's what you like, then go ahead and watch the rest of the arc.
May 7, 2014 4:57 PM
Jul 2018
It's literally the greatest love story ever told.
May 7, 2014 5:13 PM

Dec 2012
jpem said:

What do you mean by literally?

May 7, 2014 5:18 PM
Jul 2018
tsudecimo said:
jpem said:

T_T
May 7, 2014 5:26 PM

Oct 2012
Well it doesn;t suck for me ,but yeah have to admit i that i didn't liked it at first when i read the manga but later on how things develop it became awesome for me .

Also the greed island part wasn't so interesting for me , but oh well still liked it for all the details i got from it .
Shonen!
May 7, 2014 5:38 PM

Jul 2007
jpem said:
tsudecimo said:
jpem said:

T_T

Holy crap man, thats a deep spoiler. Good thing its in a spoiler tag.

May 7, 2014 5:42 PM

Oct 2012
jpem said:

Priceless comment , for about an hour i have been thinking what the meaning was . Thought it was just a troll comment . But yeah understand the meaning now hahaha
Shonen!
May 7, 2014 8:15 PM

Oct 2008
My favorite arc in all of shonen, and is what propelled HxH to the top for me, as far as shonen go.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it hit me in all the right spots. At least give it a try.
May 7, 2014 8:20 PM

Jul 2013
Yes, I wouldn't go around saying "ZOMG, this is why you should go see HxH!", no.

Although, without it, I wouldn't be able to confidently call it the best/my favorite Shonen. Sure it drags on from Togashi's various tangents and whatnot. But, in the grand scheme, it contains many meaningful scenes that have personally lead me into feeling better about LIFE as a whole, in and of itself. How often can one realize such vast & profound things based on a series that's ostensibly for children to enjoy?

So, thematically, I call it the best arc of Hunter x Hunter.
May 7, 2014 9:02 PM

Jul 2011
It's solid. There's no reason to skip it. Not the best arc and it has plenty of issues, but the positives more than outweigh the otherwise crippling DBZ pace.

Hell, the climax fight alone is worth sticking it out, probably Togashi's best fight sequence.
May 7, 2014 9:06 PM

Sep 2012
GalekC said:
Yes, I wouldn't go around saying "ZOMG, this is why you should go see HxH!", no.

Although, without it, I wouldn't be able to confidently call it the best/my favorite Shonen. Sure it drags on from Togashi's various tangents and whatnot. But, in the grand scheme, it contains many meaningful scenes that have personally lead me into feeling better about LIFE as a whole, in and of itself. How often can one realize such vast & profound things based on a series that's ostensibly for children to enjoy?

I'm glad I found this thread. I just got up to the Chimera Ant arc and frankly I was considering skipping the whole thing. I at least wanted to see if other people thought it was boring or really unimportant.

Apparently it is important, according to most of the comments. I'll give it a shot but I'm watching it fast until it actually interests me.
May 7, 2014 9:29 PM

Feb 2013
SwordsmanDan said:
GalekC said:

I'm glad I found this thread. I just got up to the Chimera Ant arc and frankly I was considering skipping the whole thing. I at least wanted to see if other people thought it was boring or really unimportant.

Apparently it is important, according to most of the comments. I'll give it a shot but I'm watching it fast until it actually interests me.

Fast? Like as in skipping? That's not gonna help since this arc is very detail heavy and things won't make sense if you skim through.
May 7, 2014 9:38 PM

Jun 2009
Kellhus said:
It's solid. There's no reason to skip it. Not the best arc and it has plenty of issues, but the positives more than outweigh the otherwise crippling DBZ pace.

Hell, the climax fight alone is worth sticking it out, probably Togashi's best fight sequence.

I don't think I'll ever understand the DBZ pace comparison. From what I remember, DBZ had several episodes in a row of characters charging up power or whatever with no real plot/character progression. When has that ever happened throughout this arc? Even the Ikalgo episodes served to further develop his character.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 7, 2014 9:41 PM

Jan 2014
Interestingly enough, I have not been completely wowed by the arc so far, but it is still one of the best arcs of the series (or that may just be me not liking most of the other ones very much).
It is quite different from Yorknew, and you may just be put off by both the change in focus of protagonists and antagonists. The King and his royal guard are great even though the other ants aren't outstanding or hardly seem relevant, and the other hunters are also interesting (despite numerous huge swings in character).

Basically, as you have probably noticed throughout the thread, most of the praise comes from being "thematically" great, which has never really appealed to me or made me think something was outstanding. If you like themes, then sure the arc is great. If you are more invested in plot and the overall narrative, then probably not.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
May 7, 2014 9:48 PM

Apr 2008
At first I wasn't crazy about the arc but it greatly improves so I recommend continuing it.

azuara said:

Can someone please explain me why this is happening. i like animes that even though they had nothing of realistic on it they still grasp that feeling by only involving humanoids ( like demons or angels, etc) or mutants that resemble humans , however the idea of talking animals was not really appealing to me.

They can talk & learn Nen because "Chimera Ant Queens possess an entirely unique method of reproduction known as Phagogenesis, a fictional term meaning reproduction through devouring. By eating other creatures, a Chimera Ant queen can impart the characteristics of ingested creatures onto the next generation of Chimera Ants it gives birth to. "
http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Chimera_Ants

They are like a mix of animal & human. They remind me of The Island of Doctor Moreau.
LevoMay 7, 2014 9:54 PM
May 8, 2014 12:47 AM
Feb 2013
The arc has its flaws, but to me, it still is HxH's best arc, beating Yorkshin arc by a slight margin. The theme of it is simply just that, hunter and hunted. It's actually very in line with the universe and setting of Hunter X Hunter, exploring the species of magical beast, which Chimera Ants basically are, and how humans face the threat of these.
May 8, 2014 1:38 AM

Apr 2014
This arc doesn't suck but it's not that good either. Yorknew City arc is the best so far in my opinion.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 2014 2:00 AM

Sep 2007
This arc is not the worst that HxH has to offer. That dubious distinction probably belongs to either Greed Island or the Heavens Arena Arc. However, this arc is slow-paced and overly long (in fact, it is by far the longest arc in HxH so far). A few episodes are just flat-out boring.

The biggest problem for me, though, is the insufferable and omnipresent narration that apparently doesn't believe that the viewers are smart enough to understand what's going on. If a third party is necessary to explain everything to the viewers, then something is very wrong indeed.

Still, HxH is too well-crafted to be completely brought down by these shortcomings. But it could have been so much better.
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. --Lord Acton in a letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton, 1887

If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier...just as long as I'm the dictator. --George W. Bush, during his first trip to Washington as President-Elect, Washington, DC, Dec. 18, 2000
May 8, 2014 2:53 AM

Jan 2014
The main plot is Gon exploring the world, how is GI a deviation?

As for the Chimera ant arc, I believe it to be the best written arc ever.
Everything connects together. I mean entire plot points and developments,
Not they cheesy forced connections trying to make it look convoluted.
Very deep plot.

Everyone is important and is grows. Great dynamics and interactions (which I already said how they connect together)
Meruem is the best villain of shonen.
The arc also solidified Gon as the best written shonen mc imo.
There is none quite like him.

So, no. It does not suck.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 2014 5:47 AM

Jul 2011
insan3Spectre said:
DBZ had several episodes in a row of characters charging up power or whatever with no real plot/character progression. When has that ever happened throughout this arc?

This literally just happened in the most recent episode. Regeneration sequence that could have been 60 seconds dragged out into 20 minutes.

I mean the pacing isn't as bad as DBZ (is anything?) but the general thing with fights that could be one episode being dragged out into several is going on so it's reminiscent.
KellhusMay 8, 2014 5:52 AM
May 8, 2014 6:31 AM

Jun 2009
Kellhus said:
insan3Spectre said:
DBZ had several episodes in a row of characters charging up power or whatever with no real plot/character progression. When has that ever happened throughout this arc?

This literally just happened in the most recent episode. Regeneration sequence that could have been 60 seconds dragged out into 20 minutes.

10 minutes, and 60 seconds would have made for nowhere near as much of an effective scene. If the scene had been done in such a short time, there is no way the characters involved emotions and the like would have been transmitted. I certainly wouldn't have liked it as much.

- Geralt of Rivia
May 8, 2014 7:44 AM

Jan 2014
patco23 said:
This arc is not the worst that HxH has to offer. That dubious distinction probably belongs to either Greed Island or the Heavens Arena Arc. However, this arc is slow-paced and overly long (in fact, it is by far the longest arc in HxH so far). A few episodes are just flat-out boring.

The biggest problem for me, though, is the insufferable and omnipresent narration that apparently doesn't believe that the viewers are smart enough to understand what's going on. If a third party is necessary to explain everything to the viewers, then something is very wrong indeed.

Still, HxH is too well-crafted to be completely brought down by these shortcomings. But it could have been so much better.

Ironically, you missed the point of the narration right off the bat.

If it did not think viewers intelligent enough, would it actually go the extra mile in not making it a notmal fighting shonen? Would it add extra layers?

If it's the talking that is bothersome, all shonen do it, be it narrator or characters.
If it's purpose, then it's not exposition, but adding depth to it. Or making the same scene more emotional. I prefer that to 10 minutes of fodder being amazed by a power.

GrunbeldMay 8, 2014 7:55 AM
May 8, 2014 10:48 AM

Sep 2011
Thread cleaned and insults removed

Posting "It's the best story arc" doesn't help the OP at all. Please say why. Deleted all the chain quoting that pretty much just spam for what I just said.
May 8, 2014 10:53 AM

Apr 2009
So far I've found this arc to be easily one of the weakest arcs in this show so far. Despite some really epic stuff happening it was just poorly executed and dragged on and on. Instead of having the core story progress we see Gon, Killua, and some other hunters trying to overcome an overwhelmingly powerful enemy. And that would be fine if it wasn't almost half of the entire show. And it also wouldn't be that bad if the battles were well executed, but it seems like the producers were hell bent on using any possible device to drag it out. Slow motion is overused, scenes are replayed throughout, the narrator goes way too in depth in describing every little detail of what's happening.

People say that it went the extra mile in not making it a normal battle shonen, to me it felt exactly like a normal battle shonen, specifically like naruto where theyre analyzing things mid battle. And hey that's fine as long as you don't overuse it. But because of that the battles didn't feel intense and it felt like we were watching a chess game, which was the point. But it wouldve been a lot more enjoyable if the pacing had some texture to it, instead of being slow and analytical all the time.

On the art side, well personally i found the designs of the majority of the chimera ants to be really unappealing. But besides that the animation definitely took a dip, when you compare it to previous arcs.

The worst part about it is that, HxH was always about adventure and uncovering mysteries, but in this arc we were confined to a pretty small area, to watch a hyper analytical battle for a vast amount of episodes. It just doesn't feel like the same show anymore.

And the icing on top, the most interesting characters the phantom troupe appear for like 2 episodes or something and then don't play a part in the rest of the arc.
May 8, 2014 10:55 AM
Jan 2014
Not my favourite arc, it gets better later, but has the WORST start of any Hunter x Hunter arc.
May 8, 2014 11:15 AM

Jan 2014
GreenHippo said:
Not my favourite arc, it gets better later, but has the WORST start of any Hunter x Hunter arc.

Probably worst middle too.

judals said:

If it did not think viewers intelligent enough, would it actually go the extra mile in not making it a notmal fighting shonen? Would it add extra layers?

If it's the talking that is bothersome, all shonen do it, be it narrator or characters.
If it's purpose, then it's not exposition, but adding depth to it. Or making the same scene more emotional. I prefer that to 10 minutes of fodder being amazed by a power.

Being different does not automatically mean good, and many would argue it actually meant "bad" in this situation.

And quite a bit of the narration was indeed pointless. "Youpi was angry.." That sure added a lot of "depth" that the viewers couldn't glean on their own. Trying to paint it as anything else would be trying too hard and pointless.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
May 8, 2014 11:20 AM

Jul 2011
GreenHippo said:

NGL had me pretty nervous but it got a good bit better and pacing aside the palace invasion has been quite entertaining. I can't help but wonder how much better it would be if it wasn't in slow motion, but oh well.
May 8, 2014 11:22 AM

Jun 2009
The point is to add emphasis to the fact that Youpi is mad. Madhouse does a similar thing in Kaji, and to me it's every bit as effective here.

- Geralt of Rivia
May 8, 2014 12:22 PM

Nov 2012
insan3Spectre said:
The point is to add emphasis to the fact that Youpi is mad. Madhouse does a similar thing in Kaji, and to me it's every bit as effective here.

Are you talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeLxUVACQF0?

May 8, 2014 12:50 PM

Feb 2014
From a technical standpoint I find it to be quite flawless.
It had the most well-structured beginng of any arc. Being long doesn't necessarily make things bad, and it really was a strong point for this one given how much detailed it was.

The second third had quite an amazing set up for the climax as well as the Gungi games, which was brilliant.

The invasion was quite the delivery, and while not very action-oriented, I liked it even more than if it had been.

The ending of the arc is simply beautiful.
May 8, 2014 12:53 PM

Feb 2014
RedRoseFring said:
GreenHippo said:

Probably worst middle too.

judals said:

Being different does not automatically mean good, and many would argue it actually meant "bad" in this situation.

And quite a bit of the narration was indeed pointless. "Youpi was angry.." That sure added a lot of "depth" that the viewers couldn't glean on their own. Trying to paint it as anything else would be trying too hard and pointless.

But how was it a bad thing? Point I think he was trying to make was not simply "difference for the sake of it", but the arc certainly broke a great deal of shonen convensions, ones that make the story just a lifeless event done to death, so at worst, it would still be better than.. Lifeless.
But I find the combination of originality, and creative insight and good writing to never be a bad thing.
May 8, 2014 3:51 PM

Mar 2014
GreenHippo said:

What did you find so bad about the beginning? Gon & Killua meeting Kite? The building of the Ant colony? Birth of the Royal Guards + King? Meeting Morel & Knov + the gang? I thought those were all pretty good ways in terms of introducing the arc. If anything, the middle of the arc just drags on -- which is the one thing a lot of people seem to have gripes with.

With that said, I absolutely love the CA arc. So much character development/involvement, symbolism + a great theme about man vs. monster. link9us' post says most of what I feell, this arc was beautiful.
jreginaldMay 8, 2014 3:55 PM
May 8, 2014 4:00 PM

Apr 2014
Nope, C.A. arc doesn't suck.

Greed Island deviated from the plot ? Don't think so. IMO, it was one of the most important arcs (more so than York New) of the series. Why ? Because it had more to do with the main characters' (Gon & Killua) development than any other arc before it. Killua's behaviour in the C.A. arc makes sense only because of his development in G.I.

What do you consider to be the main story anyway ? If you're thinking it's about Gon's search for his dad -- that's only part of the plot. But even if you consider it as the main part, the G.I. and C.A. arcs have more to do with it than York New. There's no reason to dislike the C.A. arc because "it has nothing to do with the plot" -- considering that you enjoyed York New.

You probably dislike C.A. because you don't seem to like non-humanoid creatures. But if you drop the show just because of that, you'll be missing out on a lot of fantastic things. Also, the next arc is superb; and rejoice! it has no non-humanoid creatures(...). Even Hisoka, the fans' favorite, plays a role in it.

The others have explained the C.A. arc's main theme. If you're not into such stuff, you can drop it for good. If you have problems with the pacing, you can just read the summary of the arc from the HxH wiki or something and pick up the show once the next arc starts.

So, as Levi from SNK says,"Choose for yourself whichever decision you'll regret the least." XD
May 8, 2014 7:51 PM

Jan 2014
insan3Spectre said:

I was addressing judals claim that the narration adds "Depth". "Youpi is mad" doesn't tell us anything new except that Youpi is mad, which I certainly hope all viewers were able to discern for themselves. It wasn't for comedic effect like the clip from Kaiji either.

TonyTonyStark said:

But how was it a bad thing? Point I think he was trying to make was not simply "difference for the sake of it", but the arc certainly broke a great deal of shonen convensions, ones that make the story just a lifeless event done to death, so at worst, it would still be better than.. Lifeless.
But I find the combination of originality, and creative insight and good writing to never be a bad thing.

I was simply pointing out that not everyone sees being "different" as an inherently good thing, which is what Judals was implying with: "go the extra mile in not making it a notmal fighting shonen."
Just trying to be different from a "normal" shounen doesn't contribute to whether the arc is good or not. Just like following conventions does not automatically make something lifeless.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
May 8, 2014 7:55 PM

Jun 2009
Yeah, that's not what I'm referring to. There were very serious scenes in Kaiji where the narrator repeated lines like that and, again, that was done for effect. To add emphasis. To really punch it through. It's fine if you don't like it, but I don't agree with the notion that it "treats it's viewers like idiots". For the record, I've pretty much never gotten that feeling throughout the arc.

- Geralt of Rivia
May 8, 2014 9:36 PM

Feb 2014
Well, more often than not following a convention while it may be enjoyable can be seen as not-so-good writing.
Like I said, being different just for the sake of being different while not being coherent is the reason this "not inherently a good thing" argument exists. But I don't see how this case is any less of a showing of great and unique capabilities.

Maybe you are simplifying the youpi is mad too much, or looking at it from a very narrow scope.
I think it does indeed add some depth. Take the whole narration into account.
May 8, 2014 10:45 PM

Dec 2013
WyattEarp said:
So far I've found this arc to be easily one of the weakest arcs in this show so far. Despite some really epic stuff happening it was just poorly executed and dragged on and on. Instead of having the core story progress we see Gon, Killua, and some other hunters trying to overcome an overwhelmingly powerful enemy. And that would be fine if it wasn't almost half of the entire show. And it also wouldn't be that bad if the battles were well executed, but it seems like the producers were hell bent on using any possible device to drag it out. Slow motion is overused, scenes are replayed throughout, the narrator goes way too in depth in describing every little detail of what's happening.

People say that it went the extra mile in not making it a normal battle shonen, to me it felt exactly like a normal battle shonen, specifically like naruto where theyre analyzing things mid battle. And hey that's fine as long as you don't overuse it. But because of that the battles didn't feel intense and it felt like we were watching a chess game, which was the point. But it wouldve been a lot more enjoyable if the pacing had some texture to it, instead of being slow and analytical all the time.

On the art side, well personally i found the designs of the majority of the chimera ants to be really unappealing. But besides that the animation definitely took a dip, when you compare it to previous arcs.

The worst part about it is that, HxH was always about adventure and uncovering mysteries, but in this arc we were confined to a pretty small area, to watch a hyper analytical battle for a vast amount of episodes. It just doesn't feel like the same show anymore.

And the icing on top, the most interesting characters the phantom troupe appear for like 2 episodes or something and then don't play a part in the rest of the arc.

Oh lord jesus savior hahah, you just listed what was going through my head from episode 1 to 8 of the arc, and further on when I went to check about the Arc´s length, and the phantom troupe MISSING! on it.

Ill give this arc 10 more episodes for it to get my attention, thanks for the replies to everyone
L-AzuaraMay 8, 2014 11:08 PM
May 8, 2014 11:00 PM

Oct 2013
This arc is so boring, It's mostly 80% talking and 20 percent fighting. But what's worst is the inner monologue and the narrator talking during the fights as if we're so dumb to not understand what's going on.The ant design is lame, the entire arc feels like filler to be honest. This arc is battling with greed island as the worst arc in the entire series.

If it weren't for yorknew city this series would've been a 6 at best. I personally think hunter x hunter is overrated and that people only talk good about it, because it's so called well written. The big 3 is way more entertaining than this series.

It also annoys me that people say this is the best shounen anime ever, really? This doesn't even come close to Yu Yu hackushoo, that series was entertaining throughout. I just hope after this arc ends we can get back to the phantom troupe which is the golden part to this series.
May 8, 2014 11:04 PM

Dec 2012
L-Azuara said:

Ill give this arc 10 more episodes for it to get my attention, thanks for the replies to everyone

Ummm. The arc will be over after 10 episodes.
May 8, 2014 11:09 PM

Jun 2009
tsudecimo said:
L-Azuara said:

I think he just started it.

- Geralt of Rivia
May 8, 2014 11:12 PM

Dec 2012
insan3Spectre said:
tsudecimo said:
L-Azuara said:

I think he just started it.

Oh. I didn't read what he wrote carefully.

Nvm then.
May 8, 2014 11:18 PM

Jan 2014
keragamming said:
This arc is so boring, It's mostly 80% talking and 20 percent fighting. But what's worst is the inner monologue and the narrator talking during the fights as if we're so dumb to not understand what's going on.The ant design is lame, the entire arc feels like filler to be honest. This arc is battling with greed island as the worst arc in the entire series.

If it weren't for yorknew city this series would've been a 6 at best. I personally think hunter x hunter is overrated and that people only talk good about it, because it's so called well written. The big 3 is way more entertaining than this series.

It also annoys me that people say this is the best shounen anime ever, really? This doesn't even come close to Yu Yu hackushoo, that series was entertaining throughout. I just hope after this arc ends we can get back to the phantom troupe which is the golden part to this series.

Because it's not mindless action like the shows you mentioned.
Again, the fact that you think narration is for explaining things for you is pretty dumb itself.
May 8, 2014 11:21 PM

Oct 2013
judals said:
keragamming said:

Again, the fact that you think narration is for explaining things for you is pretty dumb itself.

Then what's a narrator then?
May 8, 2014 11:27 PM

Dec 2013
If i may add, a narrator is truly amazing to make events exciting, However when it´s overused it becomes annoying. (IMO)
May 8, 2014 11:27 PM

Jan 2014
keragamming said:
judals said:
keragamming said:

Then what's a narrator then?

Someone who narrates the story? Not necessarily explain it? But give a certain flavor/perspective to it.

Point is, you preach about defending intelligence... Based on such a minsinterpretation ironically.

Even when the narrator does speak about what is going on literally, it's merely asubstitute for the monologue that is ever present in every other shonen (but more informativeand doesnt break the pace).
But more often he's not describing the same thing actually.
May 8, 2014 11:30 PM

Jan 2014
L-Azuara said:
If i may add, a narrator is truly amazing to make events exciting, However when it´s overused it becomes annoying. (IMO)

Imo i dont view it grocery store-style. There is no specific amount to how much narration is required. If all the arc calls for it, then it should be always used.

Same with books.
It's part of the show, not an explanation of it.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

920 by Montayus »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 146 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2014

335 by TheOtherJN »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 132 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 3, 2014

167 by Nerdason »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 131 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 27, 2014

1041 by Nerdason »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 130 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 20, 2014

288 by Nerdason »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.