Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 8, 2013 3:41 PM

Jan 2013
gigglingidiot said:
Sa-chan_ said:
I didn't hate Nagisa but I just found other heroines are better than Nagisa. She's too dependent to Tomoya I could say and weak-willed.
Dependent?

You may not have liked her character much. I get that. But she wasn't "dependent."

I think she's dependent in the sense that she has no real independent goals that she strives to achieve on her own, aside from the drama club which she got a lot of help from. She struggled as a person and didn't really have a sense of self-identity until Tomoya came along. Tomoya, in that sense, is far more independent. He may not have had goals, but he still had friends and a sense of who he was. Nagisa only helped supplement what was lacking in his life, but it didn't replace his entire being.

While I don't hate Nagisa, I do like Tomoyo better simply because she's a more independent woman who works towards completing her goal. Even in the alternative world scenarios, Tomoyo worked towards her goal on her own. Kyou and Ryou also have independent goals that they strive towards (and achieve, kindergarten teacher and nurse respectively) and Kotomi wanted to continue her parents research.
Feb 9, 2013 9:50 AM
Feb 2013
Nidalee said:
Because she's fucking useless and annoying. Really she being the main heroine is the reason I hate this show so much.

I think that of all the (extremely excellent) reasons people have listed to hate Nagisa, I have to agree with this one the most. It's ironic, because they actually improved her character a lot in this adaption (at the expense of nearly everybody else), but turned around and drove her even further into the ground by putting her EVERYWHERE. She ruined multiple arcs through, literally, nothing more than being present.

Really, the question for me is: why would anyone LIKE Nagisa? The only explanation I can come up with is that thousands of people lack any sort of discerning and critical eye for fiction, characterization, and/or storytelling in general, and live only to see sappy and dramatic love stories, no matter how poorly-executed and unbelievable they may be. Which seems pretty preposterous, but then I remember that Twilight is/was, in fact, a phenomenon.
Feb 14, 2013 2:38 AM

Jan 2013
I didn't like Nagisa in Clannad.

In After Story:

So in closing, basically she gets better.
Feb 15, 2013 8:50 AM
Feb 2013
I love Nagisa so much. She may weak and a crybaby, but the story wouldn't be the same without her. After finishing AS, I felt empty, so I started rewatching Clannad, and I cried at the first scene. Seeing how much she developed throughout the story is heartwarming. :-)
Feb 15, 2013 8:51 AM

Jan 2013
CIannad said:
I love Nagisa so much. She may weak and a crybaby, but the story wouldn't be the same without her. After finishing AS, I felt empty, so I started rewatching Clannad, and I cried at the first scene. Seeing how much she developed throughout the story is heartwarming. :-)

Nice name.
Feb 15, 2013 9:05 AM
Feb 2013
Haha. Thanks. Pretty obvious what my favorite anime is. :-)
Feb 15, 2013 9:05 AM

Jan 2013
CIannad said:

I cry every time I watch the After Story opener.

In fact, while I was watching After Story, I cried during the opener every single episode.
Feb 15, 2013 9:55 PM
Feb 2013
Solvite said:
CIannad said:

I cry every time I watch the After Story opener.

In fact, while I was watching After Story, I cried during the opener every single episode.

Once you finish Clannad, it's as if you became part of their world. It's a beautiful anime. I love it so very much.

And the into in AS, BEAUTIFUL!
Feb 15, 2013 9:59 PM

Mar 2012
Many hate for Nagisa is aside for her personality because they prefer other heroine like Tomoyo or Kyou. It's called die for our ship trope.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Feb 16, 2013 10:53 AM

Sep 2011
NeoAnkara said:
Many hate for Nagisa is aside for her personality because they prefer other heroine like Tomoyo or Kyou. It's called die for our ship trope.

Basically they're better than Nagisa.

Mar 9, 2013 2:52 AM
Mar 2013
I didn't know they hate Nagisa?!?! I don't hate Nagisa I LOVE HER! She's my favorite anime character in "Clannad" ! I love Tomoya and Nagisa together!!! Especially Ushio they look just like The Big Dango family !!!!
Mar 16, 2013 10:34 PM

Sep 2009
Sa-chan_ said:
NeoAnkara said:
Many hate for Nagisa is aside for her personality because they prefer other heroine like Tomoyo or Kyou.

Basically they're better than Nagisa.

Pretty much.

Compared to practically every other woman in the show, Nagisa pales in comparison. Bland personality, bland looks, nothing about her (except for the fact that she's sickly) stands out. From a superficial standpoint, I find very little about her attractive. In a way, she sort of "ruined" Clannad for me.
Mar 18, 2013 6:57 PM

Feb 2010
What the heck. Nagisa was the only heroine who gave back to Tomoya as much as he gave to her. Every other girl in the series was only "taking" from Tomoya while Tomoya and Nagisa were give and take. As much as Nagisa needed a push to start the uphill climb, she also pushed Tomoya from Fuko's arc to the class performance. I don't like Nagisa just for being a nice girl; I like her because she stood on equal ground with Tomoya. No other heroines did that; not even the romantic spins from Tomoyo and Kyou.

Nagisa doesn't fall into any archetypes as well as the other heroines but she's also more genuine than the other heroines.

Peace, love, abercrombie~
Mar 30, 2013 11:54 AM

Sep 2012
She's too needy and frail, it's like mikuru from haruhi...
seriously, sometimes when shes on screen i get so sick i get stomach aches. But really if it wasn't for several good characters in this anime like Akio or Tomoya, she'd be nothing, she'd be just some sad little girl who can't do anything on her own.

Yes i agree to some extent that the other girls would be better mates for tomoya, but i think the show would've been better if he didn't date/marry anyone, yes the ending was very tragic, and when you see both of them together you can see the "spark", but seriously girl, Grow up and stop saying desu it's annoying

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 27, 2013 7:58 PM

Feb 2012
Foxley88 said:
She's not my favourite Clannad girl (Tomoyo's my favourite) but I don't understand why so many people hate her. Yes she's weak, yes she's a crybaby but I don't think that should make her hateworthy. She's much better than most girls in harems. She's sweet-natured, kind and very determined and I would much rather she was a weak nice girl than a bitch.
I've seen comments that Tomoya is better off with someone who deserves him like Tomoyo or Kyou, mainly Tomoyo as in the canon in their names but Nagisa is not that bad either.
Also if it wasn't for Nagisa, there would be no Ushio, which a lot of people are forgetting. Ushio is adorable and everyone loves her yet I've seen so much Nagisa hate. Ushio inherited Tomoya's personality and has Nagisa's looks which is probably what makes her even more loveable so if people like Ushio, why dislike Nagisa??

who can dislike Nagisa?

I love Nagisa : )
May 6, 2013 7:45 AM
May 2013
This is my first trip to MAL, and my joining was based purely on my love for this series, this character, and a strong desire to learn more about it and share it with other fans.

Imagine my surprise to find a Topic on people hating Nagisa.

Weak? As if!
Nagisa is only weak physically, but her strength of character may be the greatest in the entire series.
Despite illness that constantly plagues and limits her ability to live her life, and has forced her to fall behind her peers, not once, but twice, she manages to maintain a cheerful and supportive demeanor at all times, and never once hesitates to help any of her friends when they need her.
Instead of becoming bitter and moaning about her plight as most teenagers would, she remains positive, upbeat and determined to not only make the best of her life, but to make the lives of those around her better as well.
I absolutely love Nagisa and wish that I knew someone with her strength of character irl. She, and her relationships with everyone she meets makes me wish I was more like her....a better person.
May 10, 2013 5:14 PM
Mar 2013
Wait... hate? HATE!? How can you hate Nagisa's personality? She's the ideal dream girl everyone wants, if you met someone that has the exact same personality as she does, would you hate her?
May 11, 2013 9:58 PM

Nov 2012
Nagisa was literally made for Tomoya, she compliments him very well. Nagisa has the perfect parents, while Tomoya has a dysfunctional home. Nagisa shows him what its like to be in a good family and tries to help him to make up with his father. He hated school, but since he started helping her restart the drama club, he learned to like it. He stopped skipping,fighting, and getting into trouble because of her and made him change his life basically. The only girl that would have done the same would be Tomoyo. But I dont think she would had effected his life like Nagisa. Tomoya, who likes to solve ppl's problems wouldnt have helped Tomoyo get elected for president if it wasnt for Nagisa, so all Tomoya would have thought about her was a bother since she would bug him to go to school.So Nagisa is the perfect girl for him.
May 15, 2013 9:11 AM
Nov 2011
Tennouji_ said:
I didn't hate Nagisa but I just found other heroines are better than Nagisa. She's too dependent to Tomoya I could say and weak-willed.

You said it.
-___-
May 17, 2013 10:45 AM

Jun 2009
GenuineAnime said:
Nagisa was literally made for Tomoya, she compliments him very well. Nagisa has the perfect parents, while Tomoya has a dysfunctional home. Nagisa shows him what its like to be in a good family and tries to help him to make up with his father. He hated school, but since he started helping her restart the drama club, he learned to like it. He stopped skipping,fighting, and getting into trouble because of her and made him change his life basically. The only girl that would have done the same would be Tomoyo. But I dont think she would had effected his life like Nagisa. Tomoya, who likes to solve ppl's problems wouldnt have helped Tomoyo get elected for president if it wasnt for Nagisa, so all Tomoya would have thought about her was a bother since she would bug him to go to school.So Nagisa is the perfect girl for him.

Are you me?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2013 7:44 PM

Nov 2012
AirStyles said:
GenuineAnime said:

Lol I dont think so.

Are you me?
May 21, 2013 5:30 AM
May 2013
SwiftKilla said:
Wait... hate? HATE!? How can you hate Nagisa's personality? She's the ideal dream girl everyone wants, if you met someone that has the exact same personality as she does, would you hate her?

i totally agree with you .. maybe they hate her because she's too good to be true?
May 21, 2013 5:38 AM

Nov 2012
Female haters i think. They are so jealous
May 21, 2013 2:03 PM

Nov 2012
johnyjohny said:

Yeah they wish they had a Tomoya XD BTW I have always thought me and Tomoya are very similar XD
May 21, 2013 2:04 PM

Nov 2012
10,000th Post in After Story belongs to me!!
May 21, 2013 2:05 PM
Jul 2012
GenuineAnime said:
johnyjohny said:

Yeah they wish they had a Tomoya XD BTW I have always thought me and Tomoya are very similar XD

Lol that's true kinda. Same except the family part.
LegendGoldDarkMay 21, 2013 2:15 PM
May 21, 2013 2:14 PM

Nov 2012
GoldenBRS said:
GenuineAnime said:
johnyjohny said:

Lol that's true kinda. Same except the family fart.

No I'm the only 1 -___- lol

I'm not making this up BTW

1st,my favorite sport is basketball
I'm 5,7ft (Tomoya is 173cm, the same)
I weigh about 135lbs (Tomoya is 61kg, the same)

I have always thought school was boring but after I left I realized how much I liked it and didnt want to leave

My personality is the same (laid back but have fun like pranks, and like to help ppl even tho I think it's annoying)

I dont have a family problem like a fight with his father but I dont talk to mines as I only met him when I was 14 and when I turned 18 we stopped talking.

I'm just waiting on my Nagisa, she's a little late since I graduated already -___-
Dec 1, 2014 8:54 PM
Aug 2014
She was such a weak character, in my opinion. She had that "sweet crybaby" personality that's I find annoying & overused, especially in most slice of life anime. I don't hate her, but I found her to be a really annoying airhead.
Dec 23, 2014 5:37 AM

Sep 2014
GenuineAnime said:

This. I personally think most people that dislike her do it because they aren't attracted to her character themselves. For me it was always about Nagisa x Tomoya because they really seem to fit each other so well and I love it when two people met and get along in this way.
For me Nagisa wasn't the best female character in the series (still the one with the most development obviously) but I think it would have been pretty terrible if someone else would date Tomoya instead of Nagisa after all they had done together. The way of the development of her character through the entirety of S1 is what made the entire thing interesting in the first place imho.
Feb 24, 2015 4:11 PM

Jan 2015
How can you hate someone who is genuinely a good person? I can understand not liking someone. But how can you hate a good person? Nagisa is just way too kind to ever be hated. I like Tomoyo the most out of all the characters and i ship Tomoyo and Tomoya, but if it went that way we wouldn't have gotten the beauty that is After Story.
Feb 27, 2015 10:35 AM

Feb 2015
How could you hate that face?!!

Apr 17, 2015 8:52 AM
Apr 2015
Nagisa was easily the worst part of Clannad for me
at least she gave us Ushio ( the episodes with her made Clannad AS a great anime)

Tomoyo was sooo much better just watching her OVA and there is romance there than in all of Clannad
She is also not such a weak and annoying crybaby
NOFUCOApr 17, 2015 8:56 AM
Apr 18, 2015 10:25 AM

Oct 2012
I like Ryou better than Nagisa
But I still prefer Tomoya and Nagisa together, because they're so d'awwwwww xD
I mean who.. who can hate them??
"Signature removed"
Apr 18, 2015 10:28 AM
Jul 2018
because she a hoe
Apr 18, 2015 10:34 AM

Nov 2012
LionCake said:
How can you hate someone who is genuinely a good person? I can understand not liking someone. But how can you hate a good person? Nagisa is just way too kind to ever be hated. I like Tomoyo the most out of all the characters and i ship Tomoyo and Tomoya, but if it went that way we wouldn't have gotten the beauty that is After Story.

Yeah, I don't get it either. You can a character unrealistic or badly written, and be annoyed be that, but to "hate" someone who is basically a good person seems stupid to me.
Oct 16, 2015 6:08 PM

Apr 2011
She's a bland crybaby like the rest of the cast.
Nov 15, 2015 10:50 PM
Jan 2015
idk , I cried few times and sad when watch some scene , such as Kotomi's climax and when Tomoya with Ushio meet his dad,well , mostly other character except Ryou and Nagisa . when I think about it ,actually Nagisa's scene when she dead ( sorry Nagisa fans,just for example ) was very sad..I'm sure I will cry very hard if that happen to other characters.

But , for Nagisa , I just can't .. No tears or sad feeling at all .Objectively speaking , she has many good traits. so ,I don't care for her may be mainly because of my personal subjectivity to characters .

why i didn't care for Nagisa ?No hard feeling ,ok ?I'm just one of minority that want to express my views, I'm sure most of anime viewers will like Nagisa ..

- Many other characters that I like better than her
- Her personality (too easy to predict and annoying )
- too plain
- her interaction with Tomoya pales out compare to the other characters

And this..
- Because she is main character and got too many spotlight
Jan 5, 2016 3:03 AM

Oct 2015
Its because her personality doesnt match Tomoya's. If Nagisa had a somewhat impactful character in season 1, then there wouls be no hate for her.

Althought Kyou and Tomoyo are my favourite, Kotomi wouldn't actually have been a bad couple for Tomoya as they have a childhood friendship which is adorable.
Jan 31, 2016 8:51 PM

Dec 2015
I hated her because I found her unrealistic. I liked the purple haired girl way better. I began to like tomoyo after watching that one OVA.

Dimithriperera said:
I don't hate her. She is one of the most sweetest characters in anime history! If you go and check out favorite character polls you can see that Nagisa has more votes than other female characters. Some people prefer other female characters and some hate her. If you want to know the reason why she is hated then I can tell why because I have been through a similar experience in school. People in my school hate me because I am shy. I don't talk much and I am nice to everyone I meet. Sometimes it could even be jealousy because I am the best pianist in school. Guys in my school prefer more active girls who have big mouths. Some of those girls have very bad characters. Guys in my class hate me. They think that being shy, innocent and kindhearted is a sin. That's what happens in real life. I don't want to compare Nagisa to me. She has a far better character than I have. I am not saying that the other heroines are bad. In fact I really like them all. But Nagisa is my favorite. She is depends on others but that's only because she is weak and helpless. It's not a sin. If it weren't for a character like Nagisa there wouldn't even be a Clannad after story. It's just her character. She isn't a villain! She is more kindhearted than all of the other female characters. But trust me, majority of the people prefer Nagisa to other female characters and they like Nagisa.

You do realize this thread started years ago right? The polls have shifted. MAL audience is a lot younger these days.

Jan 31, 2016 8:59 PM

Mar 2014
I think she needs to be more independent, but I don't hate her.
Feb 1, 2016 8:36 AM

Dec 2015
Dimithriperera said:
Ferocious_Oni said:
I hated her because I found her unrealistic. I liked the purple haired girl way better. I began to like tomoyo after watching that one OVA.

You do realize this thread started years ago right? The polls have shifted. MAL audience is a lot younger these days.

Yes I know that. But what you said doesn't make any sense. We all have our favorites but I don't think that you should call her unrealistic just because she is innocent. Tomoyo and Kyo are great characters, I agree with that, but my favorite character is Nagisa. I don't think you should go around saying that you hate her and that she is unrealistic. Some people might agree with you but there are people who like Nagisa and they will find it offensive.

Oh come on. Nagisa is just a fiction character. I don't see how anyone can seriously get offended over the fact that some people hate her.

Honestly I had logical reasons why I hated Nagisa. I'm using the "unrealistic" saying as rebound. I will have to re watch the show to be in detail because it's been to many years.

Feb 20, 2016 11:25 PM
Jun 2015
I don't hate her but Nagisa is a generic sweet little plot device with little to know traits other than being adorable and sweet who's only purpose is for feels, she stays that way(I will admit, she has a motherly side to her but that's it!), she's overrated and doesn't deserve her favorites, and she's boring. Nagisa isn't a character like Tomoya or Ushio, she's a plot device.
Feb 24, 2016 4:51 AM

Dec 2014
I guess Nagisa is portrayed as a ideal heroine apart from her being week. Maybe that's what ticks ones off
Apr 15, 2016 5:44 PM
Apr 2016
Because she didn't get a lot of character development. Even though, she was the main female protagonist, it seemed like the show was more about others like Fuko, Kotomi and yada yada. I don't understand Tomoyo however as she had no kind of character delevopment at all... And that's what's most important to true anime fans. The whole cool kid thing annoys me. Although Kyou was cool... Nagisa had more development 1/2 episodes before the play and especially in After Story. I love Nagisa and she is definitely my favorite. You don't know what you love before you lose it!!! (:
May 2, 2016 11:06 AM
Apr 2016
The_Gray_Otaku said:
This is my first trip to MAL, and my joining was based purely on my love for this series, this character, and a strong desire to learn more about it and share it with other fans.

Imagine my surprise to find a Topic on people hating Nagisa.

Weak? As if!
Nagisa is only weak physically, but her strength of character may be the greatest in the entire series.
Despite illness that constantly plagues and limits her ability to live her life, and has forced her to fall behind her peers, not once, but twice, she manages to maintain a cheerful and supportive demeanor at all times, and never once hesitates to help any of her friends when they need her.
Instead of becoming bitter and moaning about her plight as most teenagers would, she remains positive, upbeat and determined to not only make the best of her life, but to make the lives of those around her better as well.
I absolutely love Nagisa and wish that I knew someone with her strength of character irl. She, and her relationships with everyone she meets makes me wish I was more like her....a better person.

THIS ^^^^ Nagisa may not be my favorite girl in the harem but outside of being physically weak, she is really strong bc of it. It shines in After Story too. When she chose to get pregnant knowing the risks.
May 6, 2016 1:54 PM

Nov 2013
She's a generic nice girl archetype moe blob with no character development. Literally anyone else was better. Her only characteristics is she's nice, moe, and pure. The only time she was mildly interesting was in the first season when her soul died at the end, but even then they just undid it in the same episode because god forbid she grew at all.
May 6, 2016 2:33 PM

Jul 2014
I think it's because she's weak... even if it's a physical weakness, just looking at her so helpless frustrates people. That's just my assumption though. Although I don't particularly hate her, I don't exactly like her too much either. She definitely could have been better but then I think the way she was made was perfect for the story~
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
May 11, 2016 1:18 AM

Oct 2015
I think it might be due to lack of character development until the end in the first season of the show. The show is based on a visual novel and apparently they could not fit all of it into the show which includes various conversations involving character development.
May 16, 2016 12:33 AM
Mar 2016
Nagisa is one of the most well-drawn among all characters in the series. Yes, she is physically weak and quite dependent on Tomoya throughout the Clannad original story. However, THIS character of Nagisa is definitely one of the very core part that makes the whole story much more impressive.

Clannad isn't about simple cliche Harem story, neither is the AS. The focus is on the family, love, depression and growth through it. Yes, it is true that there are so many bright, independent, strong, smart, and attractive female characters in the show, but dating with those girls won't be what Clannad actually wants to show. The show wants to portrait a weak timid girl who is becoming stronger and stronger as she grows up to a woman, and ultimately a mother.. just like a lame outsider boy becoming a man, and ultimately a father.

You might remember a girl at the beginning who didn't have any friend and could not have done anything by herself. But a year after the girl stands alone at the stage, which definitely needs a certain level of courage. After the graduation she becomes even more 'adult-like' than her male partner, Tomoya. She doesn't complain anything about herself anymore, tries to be independent (like her work at the cafe) and become the strongest supporter of Tomoya during his hard times. Finally, as all of us know, she choose to become pregnant and give birth to Ushio at the cost of her own life. And we have to consider that her physical illness always challenges her whenever she tried to step forward.

The feeling of the story won't be the same if Nagisa was a strong, brave girl from the very beginning. Imagine a girl like Tomoyo becomes Tomoya's wife and helps him like what Nagisa did in the actually story. It's natural, isn't it? There's no growth, nothing have been changed through the love and the marriage, since she's such character from the starting point. But Nagisa's different. By following through her growth, one can witnesses how one love could change a girl, and how becoming a mother could change a woman.. It reminds me the ancient maxim "a girl is weak, but a mother is strong (I don't know whether similar saying exists in the western world, but anyway)" kind of thing.

BTW this is my first post in the website. :)
Aug 5, 2019 5:05 PM
Aug 2019
I still can’t stand that little bitch, even though she was bullied by everyone. She’s unbelievably stupid that she gets into trouble all the damn time. Ugh, can’t believe Clannadman chose the dumb cockroach instead of Tomoyo!
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

id - Feb 12, 2009

727 by -45- »»
May 4, 9:12 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

OurSocialStatus - Mar 26, 2009

323 by Bruh69XD »»
May 2, 6:19 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

patient_senses - Mar 12, 2009

1169 by Bruh69XD »»
Apr 30, 5:37 PM

» Hopefully this isn't annoying

Ricdumb - Apr 10

5 by lycan_ »»
Apr 30, 11:42 AM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

angel999 - Oct 23, 2008

319 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 14, 10:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.