Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 11, 2007 7:29 PM
Jul 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well... I' impressed by how much of the story they've cut here.
I remember the game took me more than 40 hours to complete, and the series had 2 hours.
I'm not sure about how someone that didn't play will understand how things happened, but it felt for me, ignoring all the story cutting, like "That's all? Isn't there something missing? I lost something?".

Anyone has anything to say about this anime?
Dec 11, 2007 8:38 PM

Feb 2007
Yeah, the game was long.

Well, I liked it. Just because it's a long game doesn't mean that the anime has to cover most of its events. I don't think they were quite aiming for some adventure RPG-like anime, where they do all the quests and stuff. They just wanted to depict the characters and the final battle.

They had the prejudice against people like Arche. They had the connection between the Tree and Dhaos. They had Chester's inferiority complex. They had Suzu fighting her own people.

I think they covered enough to satisfy players and non-players alike.
Dec 31, 2007 1:07 PM
Dec 2007
never played the game, but I did felt like the story went through by quickly. It's alright, it was enjoyable nevertheless.
Mar 20, 2008 8:17 PM

Oct 2007
grieverblade1 said:
never played the game, but I did felt like the story went through by quickly. It's alright, it was enjoyable nevertheless.

I agree, the story did feel like it went by quickly and it was very fun to watch. Although I wish they would make more to it. =)

May 26, 2008 2:44 PM

Sep 2007
4 OVAs is too short for such a long game, but they pulled it off really well, I thought.
Oct 13, 2008 6:21 PM

Oct 2007
It did seem like 90% were cut. Weah... ugly. Will try Symphonia tomorrow. Good that Abyss is at least a full series.
^_^ ^_^
Oct 19, 2008 6:49 AM
Mar 2008
This was really a crappy show.

Character development was nule, lots of parts were CLEARLY cut, and the story wasn't depth.
Sep 12, 2009 2:17 AM

Sep 2009
I have played this game and took me weeks to finish it including the sidequests, too many seens were cut, at least they should have shown how they ended up in the past, how they met each other, how Claus made a pact with all the spirits. Most likely it is really made for those who have played the game. When I finished the anime I said that's it?? Where were all the things that they did...

CLICK!!
Apr 29, 2010 1:20 PM
Dec 2008
This being the first game/anime in the "Tales of" series they had no idea if it would be popular or not, so instead of making a sprawling 26 episode anime about the game they at least gave us a rushed 4 episode version of the events.
Jun 17, 2010 6:26 AM
Jul 2009
It was nice.Story,music and characters as well.I will play the game for sure:) It was like a short introduction:)
xxx
Jan 24, 2013 5:14 AM
Apr 2011
Little bit dissapoint, not as good as the Game that i have played before.
but nice to see the anime character version of the game.

I Give this anime score 5/10
Feb 15, 2013 12:39 PM

Nov 2012
I loved it, but my anime friend did not understand the plot.
i think they missed the one of the most important things:
the part where chester and chess loses the village gets captured and meats mint and breaks out, then meating morrison and dhaos.
it needed more detail and they cut too much out, it should have been 13 episode or 25.
Jul 30, 2013 6:50 AM

Sep 2011
They left a lot of information that should've been told out... Could of been a bit better if it was say a 12 episode series or 6 episode OVA.
TyrelAug 22, 2016 6:51 PM
Feb 19, 2014 9:45 PM

Jul 2013
The fight with Dhaos was intense to be honest, well at least they defeated him. Although his motivation was revealed of wehat he was doing.

The OVS'a were a lucklaster, the story did not go through in detail, character development was dull, and could have been better if it's a 24 episode series.

I haven't played the game but I know it is 45 hour gameplay but making this into an 2 hour story. 6/10

Apr 5, 2014 4:38 PM

Jun 2012
Felt really rushed but that's to be expected when cramming a 40+ hour game into 2 hours. Although, I did enjoy seeing everyone fully animated. I just wished they pronounced Dhaos like chaos but with a D instead of Doust. And da bosch plays too many roles in the tales of series; they should have just got the guy that did cress's voice in the gba version to do it here.
Feb 12, 2020 8:12 PM

Jan 2019
This show was average for me, it was not so bad but it felt rushed.
Even if you didn't play the videogame you can notice that content from the game was skipped, after all this sort of games tend to have a long story. I have to admit that this is one of the few Tales games that I didn't play, so maybe that is a reason why the show feels kind of meh to me.

Most of the characters are likeable except for Cless which sadly is the MC, he seems to me like some hot headed raging jerk. I mean, I get that he had a terrible experience and all, but he seem to be the kind of dude that acts more like one fo those secondary characters that rush to the battle just to get insta killed than a protagonist. Worst thing about this is that he will not evolve during the 4 episodes this OVA last, you will see him doing the exact same thing again and again. Maybe he is different in the game, but in the anime he is very unlikeable.

The villian who doesn't even seem to be trully evil is just ok, in his case at least he is not annoying like the mc.
Big problem with antagonist is that since you don't really know his motivation till the end you can't really sympathize with him, but at same time you can't really hate him 'cause he doesn't really do anything shocking during the whole show like killing one of the party members. Also considering that the Tales series is well know to put in many of its games some villians that are not really evil, you end up guessing since the begenning that there is some reason of why dude is doing what he is doing.

I feel that if this show was maybe 2 or 3 episodes longer, they could have been able to develop the characters more, specially the mc which is too generic.
Aug 7, 2020 2:54 AM

Nov 2016
I understood everything but the main villain's backstory and who tf that ninja girl was.
CPU: i7 6700 | GPU: GTX 1070 | RAM: 16GB | HD: 1TB | Moderators are mean! | D. Gray Man Hallow is UNDERRATED!

Jan 13, 2021 6:00 AM
Jul 2016
I didn't play the game.

When in the 3rd ep that ninja attacked, I thought the humans tricked the elves to fight for them. I don't know who that guy was, I don't remember seeing him with Daos, I think that ninja girl with his father should have been cut because they are just there without any explanation

Somehow they made Daos the victim, who tried to save both worlds but stupid humans only cared about themselves, money, and power and now that he is dead it's just a matter of time before humans destroy everything. I seriously don't understand why people like this story.
Jan 19, 2023 4:19 AM

May 2018
Short but fun to watch, would like to see more of the story especially what happened to the characters, but I am satisfied with this ending.

Oct 14, 2023 8:46 PM
Aug 2021
Nice to see a “Tales” anime completed in a timely manner. Fun to watch and no fluff or endless backstory.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tales of Phantasia: The Animation Episode 3 Discussion

omega_d94 - Feb 19, 2014

1 by 0ni_Link »»
Aug 8, 2021 2:46 PM

Poll: » Tales of Phantasia: The Animation Episode 2 Discussion

omega_d94 - Feb 19, 2014

0 by omega_d94 »»
Feb 19, 2014 8:35 PM

Poll: » Tales of Phantasia - The Animation Episode 1 Discussion

minkie - Apr 22, 2010

2 by omega_d94 »»
Feb 19, 2014 7:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.