Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Apr 29, 2019 10:22 AM

May 2016
Gendou showed that he's absolutely ruthless as a commander by putting up a kill order against Unit 03 as an Angel despite Suzuhara being onboard when its angelic nature overwhelmed the pilit's control. He also put Rei under intense pain for not giving enough time to sever the neural link before ripping off Unit 00's arm and made Shinji go through such a traumatizing experience by having the Dummy System hijack his Eva and having it brutally maul Unit 03 to death.

The most dreadful part of this is the Dummy Plug being based off Rei which can imply that she harbored that much animalistic hatred towards the Angels to dispatch of the rogue Eva so brutally.

The class president might've been lucky that Suzuhara didn't die but I guess that he won't get a taste of her food for a while after what he'd been through. Shinji had it worst though, thinking about how he almost crushed his friend to death in a sea of gore without having a shred of control in his own Eva's actions.

May 17, 2019 6:32 AM
Apr 2016
Oh my god, I felt so shit...seems like Toji is dead. Well, that was horrible, it went completely berserk, no control. Shinji's father forcing it on him like that, that's really bad, how will Shinji live with this now...
Jun 2, 2019 8:47 PM

Dec 2018
HOLY SHIT HE LIVED

also i'm confused:

retr0aliJun 2, 2019 8:52 PM
Jun 2, 2019 10:29 PM
Jan 2019
tbh if I were Gendou, I would do the same except destroying the entry plug (I mean what is the point of that?). Also, how the fuck was Touji still alive? How was Misato still alive? How was everyone still alive? They'd better explain it.

Why the Angels only attacked Japan? Why it always came in a very convenient time? And why no one questioned it?

Why everytime someone tried to tell Shinji who the pilot was, it would be interrupted. That feels contrived af.

Shinji's crybaby side started coming back. He surely didn't understand the situation. It's annoying, but I can partly understand why and I want to see the reason behind it.
Jun 4, 2019 3:03 AM

Dec 2015
retr0ali said:
I'm confused: he dies in the manga but not tv show???

Take the fact he dies in the manga a choice of its author (& designer of the show), who could do like he wanted since the original show was finished since a long time. Still, Toji lost a leg, he didn't survive without a scratch here.

@retr0ali Yes, that was part of the "agreement" before Anno (creator/director)started the series, and he kinda regretted it. I suppose Sadamoto (designer/mangaka), having more freedom, went with his old colleague's wish. (in the same way that he introduced Kaworu earlier in his comic, reminiscence of his longer role in the original planning of the TV Series)

October 7, 2019
@Rayl1ght What made you think the show was trying to sadden you about Toji's end? I was under the impression it was mostly trying to lake you feel bad about how it affects Shinji.

May 12, 2020
@future_dose I don't think Gendô actually cared about anything but his little secret scheme by that time.
Also, if I remember well, this happens besides the "camera": we don't know anything beyond the fact the Unit 4 has been incapacitated. The Angel may have been still "alive".

July 17, 2020
maiawatchesanime said:

in the intro there are trees of some sort, like branching diagrams. i'm curious about them but i don't want to research anything in case it's a potential spoiler haha. but it did remind me of FMAB and ed's door of truth.

It's no spoiler, I think it's the Tree of Life from the Kabbale, like other religious signs it's here to be cool.

As for the Children's criteria and compatibility, you can gather them by thinking about some common points they are sharing.

By the way, here, the slaughter wasn't some conscious EVA's doing, but what you saw Gendô ask for: the "dummy plug" (a system to "pilot" without the pilot) took over Shinji.

October 26, 2020
@ribbonaffair Nice to read someone mentioning Tôji rather than Shinji alone. The possibly traumatic experience (we ignore how long he was conscious) could be hard but losing his leg isn't something easy to dismiss / come to term with either.
Rei_IIIOct 26, 2020 9:47 AM
Jun 4, 2019 6:33 AM

Dec 2018
Rei366 said:

a choice of its author (& designer of the show), who could do like he wanted since the original show was finished since a long time. Still, Toji lost a leg, he didn't survive without a scratch here.

gooootcha. was reading more about the series last night after finishing it, and it seems the tradeoff for not killing him was losing his leg, bc one of the producers/someone on the show didn't want to kill a child on TV.
Jun 13, 2019 2:59 AM

Sep 2018
Every time see this episode it gives me goosebumps. This is where it this anime turned into a masterpiece. Epic.
Jun 28, 2019 12:28 AM

May 2015
This is the start to a mental breakdown.
Jul 27, 2019 1:47 PM
Jan 2018
really people called shinji a wimp in this situation all because he didn't want to kill the pilot which is understandable , would like to see people who complained do it
Jul 29, 2019 10:38 PM

Jul 2009
I knew this would happen. Toji just doesn't seem the type who can control Eva and sync with it easily. I knew sooner or later his pilots reigns would end so soon.

As usual, Shinji being a stupid idiot. If only you fought back and maybe you could have immobilize EVA 04 then maybe you could have saved Toji. But instead, you rather die than to do anything, just because it's not "moral" or some other BS.

This is war. Either you fight or die trying. No give ups in this.

Now, he's going back to his wimp mode and cry once again. Seriously.

I love the smirk Ikari showed. This is what happens when you disobey your father.

EVA 01 really went berserk. All those blood and gushes. Damn!

Aug 18, 2019 3:32 PM

Aug 2016
Proper English. + points.

Seriously, I guess this is psychological anime with unstable people, but why is Asuka still acting like such a bitch, I have no idea how to understand her character except being spoiled brat who think she is number 1.

Toji death flag was true, yay... ah, guess he is alive? But no unit 03 and fourth Eva/child?

Now I understand why nobody told a Shinji. From plot point. I don't understand though why nobody told him before accident/angel. I guess they saw how Asuka acts and was like, oh no, not going into this again.

Damn, Shinji gets it really hard again.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2019 5:23 AM

Oct 2012
Nothing really surprising here
Japanese and their number "4" is just ridiculous
Also the way they made so we feel bad for someone's death is also ridiculous

For me the one broke Shinji the most is all of them who didn't tell him
I mean it's really not that hard, if only they told him.. maybe he could at least try to save him
But I'm not Shinji, so who knows? :P
"Signature removed"
Nov 11, 2019 8:45 PM

Sep 2011
Oh shit, looks like I was wrong, Touji was really the fourth child. This episode was pretty intense, the Eva 01 killing the Angel was really brutal.

Poor Shinji, sometimes I forget that he is just 14 years old. This must have be too much for his head.
Nov 14, 2019 4:40 PM

Nov 2017

Coolio! I liked this episode simply 'cause now I have a reaction face image I can use on the internet (mostly on this site, womp lol).

But golly, this is a demoralizing episode. Gendo is a grade A douchebag (well, he always was, but still lol). Having no concern for a kid's life and even seemed to enjoy the pandemonium unleashed by Unit-01 since that meant the Dummy Plug System worked. Shinji knowing that it was Touji in there just made the moment that much worse. It wasn't Shinji's fault, but I'm sure he feels like it is.

The ED starting after Shinji screams is the unsettling shit cherry on this already unsettling shit cake
Nov 28, 2019 9:29 PM

Sep 2017
By far my favorite episode. I'd have enjoyed this show much more if every episode was as hard-hitting as this was, but obviously these kind of episodes need to be built up to.
Dec 7, 2019 8:32 PM
Oct 2012
The last somehow coherent episode, 19 was insanely rushed, 20-26 just gave up
Dec 17, 2019 9:49 AM
Nov 2018
Lol, is Gendou a psychopath or something. Didn't even blink an eye slaughtering Eva and that boy. Of course Shinji will get mental trauma from that since they're really closed friends.

"Self respect is the greatest gift we can give to our self"

Dec 18, 2019 9:45 PM

Oct 2013
This got brutal fucking fast. Jesus. I’m to the point where every character just seems messed up and they’re using KIDS to do their dirty work. I’m donnneeeeeee.
Jan 21, 2020 11:01 PM
Dec 2019
Shinji letting himself get choked to death definitely doesn't look good. I get what the episode is going for- it's not weak to be kind to others, but the situation that the writers put him in wasn't a situation that left him no other choice but to do nothing. Within reason, and this doesn't have anything to do with being scared/emotional, he could've at least broken out the chokehold.

Also, Shinji's father is an inexplicable a hole. This would be great if he was the real villain of the series, but as a supporting character he's infuriating. "Hey son, can you try to subdue him without killing him?" That's all he needed to say--- even if he doesn't like his son, that's still a viable option that comes before using the dummie plug. Usually I'm not that demanding when it comes to plot holes, but in this case the character decisions combined with how dire the circumstances are make the logical inconsistencies very apparent.

They were going for the "I'm forced to kill my best friend" angle, but the execution could use refinement.
Mar 22, 2020 8:39 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
WOAH. This is FUCKED. Commander Ikari is the biggest fucker in the history of anime. My blood is boiling. He's so cold it's inhuman.

The amount of people in this thread that can't empathise or sympathise with how traumatic all of this is for Shinji as a 14 year old boy is actually fucking scary. If any of you were in his situation no doubt you'd all be way bigger pussies than he is but I guess even losers feel confident from behind their keyboards.

I feel genuinely shaken by this episode. This show is epic. 10/10
HendyMar 22, 2020 9:04 PM

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Apr 5, 2020 11:39 PM

Dec 2019
Shit just got real bro... Shinji mental break down inc.
                                                         🖤   

Apr 8, 2020 5:10 PM

Apr 2016
So I guess the Eva's are Angels that humans built, but like everything we build the end result leaves something to be desired. And it needs the children to act as some kind mental conduit so it can be controlled or it will run amok.

Liked the river running red with blood. That was a nice touch.

Sheesh...this ain't your ordinary mecha battle story going on.

Some serious meta emotional weirdness going on.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 2, 2020 10:14 PM

Apr 2020
...so, that got dark, real quick. Just when I thought things were taking a turn for Shinji and his relationship with his father.

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS, EVANGELION!!!
May 11, 2020 9:18 AM

Jun 2015
Why didn't his father stopped the dummy plug , when the Angel-eva thing was being torned. I mean after the Eva died , they could've stopped the plug and saved his life
Jun 22, 2020 1:35 AM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
Well, when a minor character starts getting heaps of screen time out of nowhere I expect they are going to be killed off. Pleasantly surprised he wasn't killed but it was still quite shocking, that moment when Eva 01 had the capsule in its hand and crushed it.

Watching the OP, piecing together what's happening, all the religious overtones, Shinjis dad willingness to sacrifice the other Eva's to protect 01, the flashback to the second impact... I'm going to have a wild guess here and say Shinji and the 01 Eva are the endgame for some sort of ritual or apotheosis that Ikari senior and co have been planning all along, and the second impact was just a failed attempt at doing it the first time, and the angels are being sent from heaven to try and stop humanity from reaching beyond their limits. Just a guess, but will see.
Jul 16, 2020 5:21 PM

Feb 2020
OH MY GOD THIS SHOW IS SO INTENSE AND DARK

wow just wow i'm kind of mindblown and i was literally holding my breath the entire time 01 was attacking 03. and hearing shinji shouting to stop, it was all just Too Much, so intense my heart is still racing

i'm curious as to how they made the eva units and what their full depth of function is, seeing as they are sentient in some capacity and can turn really savage

this is not good for shinji's emotional state of mind. i hope toji makes it out ok

gendo ikari i hate you <3

also the shots of unit 03 walking with the setting sun in the background looked so good, really impactful and intimidating

just some other random thoughts i have:

in the intro there are trees of some sort, like branching diagrams. i'm curious about them but i don't want to research anything in case it's a potential spoiler haha. but it did remind me of FMAB and ed's door of truth, he had something sort of similar on his

i wonder what exactly are the criteria for an eva pilot? what makes them suitable? with shinji i figured his father must have made it compatible to him in some way, and the same with rei i assume (or maybe he made rei compatible to the eva). but asuka and toji, what made them fit?
Aug 14, 2020 11:59 AM

Apr 2019
Hell.. man this was a nut cracker
Oct 4, 2020 12:58 AM

Apr 2020
Man !! I'm so glad Toji isn't dead!

When they showed the girl preparing food I was so sure he was killed but...

I am so GLAD!!! TOJI!!!!! WAAAA!!
--AbiSa--
Oct 5, 2020 7:44 AM

Sep 2018
Absolutely brutal. Not sure I'm ready for the rest of the show lol
Stop wasting time on MAL, go watch Planet With!
Oct 12, 2020 1:36 PM

Aug 2018
Very dark episode, it was a little bit predictable for me that something bad might happen to Toji, and it seems to have come true. Commander Ikari definitely is cold-hearted, ruthless person who values his own personal ambitions over everything else including human life.

That Shinji scream at the end sounded like something out of horror film and caught me off-guard for some reason. I was watching this episode on medium volume in the dark so that might’ve added to the shock factor.

Again Very very dark episode that is excelently executed
Oct 26, 2020 6:44 AM

Jun 2020
WHAT AN EPISODE. What the fuck is wrong with Gendo..... Shinji’s scream at the end gave me the chills. I wonder what’s going to happen to Toji. I really thought he was going to be dead. I’m so glad he didn’t end up dead, but damn having gone thru THAT, jesus......talk about trauma....

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Nov 7, 2020 2:25 AM

Dec 2012
Dat English.
Kensuke.
Toji's kindness.
Pen Pen chilling.
Dat Eva.
An Angel?
Dat explosion!
The 13th Angel?
The dummy plug.
Dat neck snap.
Dat punch.
The pod!
Dat crush.
Misato is alive.
Toji is alive? Shinji finds out the truth.
Dat scream.
Dat ending.

The pod got crushed and Toji survived. What luck.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Nov 24, 2020 6:51 PM

Nov 2020
oh shit oh damn oh fuck
Dec 17, 2020 6:44 PM
Jul 2018
1) Gendo has serious problems!

2) Misato saying some oblique messages to Ritsuko since last chapter...

3) Poor Toji... Poor Hikari... Poor Shinji!
Jan 2, 2021 10:45 PM

Aug 2019
fucking christ, no words, i feel like this is the anime's tipping point to sheer darkness. Shinji witnessing first hand, ripping another eva unit apart is fucked up enough, but when he realizes who's in it, fuck bro.

Fucking horrid, to actually think that they didn't just cut the Dummy plug to after Unit 03 you know, had it's face caved in, but let the Dummy Plug just fucking eviscerate the carcass of the Unit's body to pieces. I'm slightly concerned to why Eva Unit's actually have blood, organs and such like a human, i have an idea, but i really don't want to believe that one either. I don't fully understand the Eva Unit's properly, but i actually pray to God that even after the failed ejection, the pilot is 100% disconnected from the Unit.
I also feel like, right here right now, we can perfectly pin point the time and location, where Shinji just fucking snapped like a twig.

I don't know if i want to know what happens next, but i've crossed the line of no return, and imma keep going and see what happens.
Feb 15, 2021 1:46 PM
Apr 2020
Shit, when I found out that Touji was alive I started crying. I've never been so happy before
Mar 2, 2021 6:00 PM

Nov 2017
in my evangelion rewatch that i'm currently doing, this was the episode i feared rewatching the most
genuinely gutwrenching, raw, and heartbreaking
"Leonardo... it wasn't, by any means, only your eyes that we welcomed into Libra."
- Klaus von Reinherz
Mar 10, 2021 7:06 AM

Mar 2010
F all the adults in this anime especially Ikari. The kids don't deserve any of this.
Mar 11, 2021 9:00 AM

Jul 2020
Holy. Fucking. Shit. What. Just. Happened.
Mar 13, 2021 8:46 PM

Feb 2020
Wow...what an episode. Intense.

Poor Shinji. Glad Touji didn't die.
Mar 28, 2021 11:56 PM

Jun 2020
LOL I was joking when I suggested that Tohji was the fourth children. Did not think that would actually happen

I'm wondering about Gendo now. I'm sure he doesn't hate Shinji. He's probably not even disappointed in him. But did he care more about his mission, or about Shinji when he made the choice to use the dummy plug to take out Eva-03?
May 11, 2021 9:40 AM

Apr 2021
H O L Y S H I T

That is a fucking curveball
Jun 10, 2021 9:25 PM

Apr 2020
That was crazy WHAT THE FUCK

I'm glad he didn't die
Jun 28, 2021 8:37 PM
Jul 2018
The last series of episodes were kind of iffy on the enjoyment scale but THIS one was out of the park. REALLY good. Dunno why it took Misato so long to reveal Toji's involvement -- dunno why it was such a secret.

Incredible episode though. Shinji's shrieks were as good as ever hehe. Pleading for his father to stop, and not wanting to kill someone. Shinji truly is a great character.

I think the titling of this episode is really confusing though... because the LAST episode's TWO titles are both a variant of "Fourth Child" when THIS episode really focused on the fourth child more than the last one.

I know this show gets a bit darker, but this was the first episode to gear toward that imagery of blood. With buildings splattered in blood and the river turned red. Just a glimpse of what might be to come.
Jul 25, 2021 9:30 PM
Jul 2021
Jesus Christ

Commander Ikari has always been a dick, but I didn't expect him to showcase this level of absolute asshole-ness. Shinji should punch him, legit.

I'm glad Misato didn't die like that, but I'm a little confused that they didn't kill off Toji. It would have been a great way to send off the character and throw Shinji into the deep end and bring in even more angst and conflict.
Aug 6, 2021 11:33 AM

Jul 2019
Damn, Ikari out here wanting results and that only. Man legit caused Toji to get destroyed. Yeesh. By any means necessary as they say.

This episode was peak tho for sure. I liked it a lot.
Aug 11, 2021 3:31 PM

Jan 2021
Damn that was intense but at least apparently Toji’s gonna be ok and Ikari was out for blood he didn’t even attempt to save the pilot
Oct 19, 2021 7:47 PM
Apr 2018
Damn, Shinji pissed me off this episode, fight ffs! It was so stupid for me when he let the angel choking him jfc.

Brutal fight. I like Tohji though but I was seriously expecting him to die after all the beating
Nov 15, 2021 6:05 AM

Aug 2020
Rather an intense episode. So I'm guessing this is the episode where Shinji has lost all trust in his friends and guardian (Misato). This is where Shinji's mental health declines.

Also, that English dialogue in the beginning took me by surprise. It actually sounds good.

Also, I wonder what the purpose of the Penguin is for. Maybe I missed something.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Nov 25, 2021 9:09 AM
Nov 2020
Actually Toji died in the manga and was to die in the anime too I think but they changed it.. I think it would be more imoactful if he had kicked the bucket tho..
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
11 hours ago

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Yesterday, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.