Forum Settings
Forums

If animation started being made more frequently in the U.S, what would be different from Japanese animation?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 9, 2014 4:39 AM

Apr 2013
Disney>>>all
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Feb 9, 2014 4:45 AM
Nov 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
NeoAnkara said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Imma let you finish but American cartoons has one of the best tsunderes.
I miss watching that football head show.
Me too, and shows like Doug and Rocko's Modern Life.
I hope you mean Nickelodeon's Doug, and not Disney's Doug.
Feb 9, 2014 4:48 AM

Aug 2009
It would just cater more to westerners, and by that I mean mostly those in the US, and those of the "the anime industry is going downhill" mindset.

ButNotForMe said:
Disney>>>all

Sure, lets take ever single fairytale and animate it with a HUGE budget that anime tv and movies could only dream about since japanese studios dont limit their works in 2(or 1) per year..

Seems fair.

ssjokgFeb 9, 2014 4:51 AM
Feb 9, 2014 4:57 AM
Nov 2008
ssjokg said:

ButNotForMe said:
Disney>>>all

Sure, lets take ever single fairytale and animate it with a HUGE budget that anime tv and movies could only dream about since japanese studios dont limit their works in 2(or 1) per year..

Seems fair.

Disney does more than create blockbuster films.
Feb 9, 2014 5:08 AM

Aug 2009
Heredity said:
ssjokg said:

ButNotForMe said:
Disney>>>all

Seems fair.

Disney does more than create blockbuster films.

Those multiple tv shows that are basically the same but with different chars?

How is it different from most japanese tv series(anime or not)?
Feb 9, 2014 7:21 AM

Apr 2009
Then instead of complaining about school settings in anime, we'll complain how every anime seems to have went from boring school setting to Boring Procedural #100000002 :D.
Feb 9, 2014 8:31 AM

Aug 2013
Animation in the USA is commonly seen as a children's medium of entertainment, and thus we could may get some truly, remarkably great animations directed towards kids that could also be appealing to adults such as the Pixar movies, but don't expect philosophical, abstract, deeply profound sort of stories like Serial Experiments Lain or Kaiba. If even in Japan, that slightly seems to be a more liberal market towards animation from here ,these productions are unprofitable, imagine in the USA where parents got all crazy because a rumor was raised that SpongeBob was supposedly gay. Imagine how these same parents would react if they knew of the existence of an animation like Wandering Son?

Animation in the USA could be even better than the Japanese if the animators/ writers/ directors/ studios had more freedom to work as they please , but it's doubtful that it will ever change, so thanks Japan for existing.
Feb 9, 2014 9:43 AM

Jul 2012
they would Michael Bay it to death
Feb 9, 2014 9:49 AM

Aug 2013
Kruszer said:
@the OP

They would still be neutered as far on content goes though because they'd have to be on TV and conform to FCC standards, so I don't see the advantage. Thus there would be no US equivalents of Garden of Sinners, Gunslinger Girl, Haibane Renmei, Future Diary, Ghost in the Shell, or Psycho-Pass, etc. Anime still wins.
As I have said before Direct to DVD would solve that problem.

UnoPuntoCinco said:
Have you guys ever seen DC Comics Animated Movies, they're far better than a lot of anime nowadays.
I hold the DC Direct to DVD animated movies in high regard but I wouldn't say they are better than anime nowadays. I put them on the same level as mainstream long running battle shonen anime like Bleach, Naruto etc. I do find however that they are better adapted from their source material than mainstream battle shonen anime because they don't have any long, boring fillers.
Feb 9, 2014 10:49 AM
Mar 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
Kruszer said:
@the OP

They would still be neutered as far on content goes though because they'd have to be on TV and conform to FCC standards, so I don't see the advantage. Thus there would be no US equivalents of Garden of Sinners, Gunslinger Girl, Haibane Renmei, Future Diary, Ghost in the Shell, or Psycho-Pass, etc. Anime still wins.
As I have said before Direct to DVD would solve that problem.

UnoPuntoCinco said:
Have you guys ever seen DC Comics Animated Movies, they're far better than a lot of anime nowadays.
I hold the DC Direct to DVD animated movies in high regard but I wouldn't say they are better than anime nowadays. I put them on the same level as mainstream long running battle shonen anime like Bleach, Naruto etc. I do find however that they are better adapted from their source material than mainstream battle shonen anime because they don't have any long, boring fillers.

you say direct ot home media as an idea but this main debate is i think about Tv animation

witch im sorry anime wins 100% of the time in every way OVA os a very diffent market and thats what you saying

now yiu bring that up i Bring up Ginga Eo den [ that was ay OV and if you watch the FRanchise in proper Order it s the perfect adaption noting Touches it

the onkly thing tjat comes close is Ken Branagh's Hamlet adpation when it come to accuracy to its sorce
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 9, 2014 12:33 PM

Mar 2012
NeoAnkara said:
Do you know why Japan invent anime? Because "anime style" is cost less that an average animation that made in US or so I read.
Guess that's why old Disney Movies look better than most anime ever made
Feb 9, 2014 12:45 PM

May 2013
The demographics of anime would change hugely to match those of current US animation. Also a lot of cultural heavy anime would surely be abandoned in favour of US culture.
Feb 9, 2014 12:53 PM

Aug 2009
I'd like to see Michael Bay work on an anime.

Feb 9, 2014 3:31 PM

Jan 2014
Less fanservice. More sex. Few mechas. No harems. No Japanese. No OP and ED songs.

So, it would be a tradeoff.
Feb 9, 2014 3:54 PM

Apr 2013
Cartoons are .....how to put it..........hmmmmm .......
Cartoons are closer to real human mentality than our jap anime .
Basicaly is just a mentality/culture thing so if anime were born in US would be just the same thing as the current cartoon but a different skin .

How was that say?

A wolf with a sheep hide......that pretty much says everything .

The main difference and one of the few between cartoons and jap anime is the culture......
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Feb 9, 2014 9:17 PM

Apr 2013
FacelessVixen said:
I'd like to see Michael Bay work on an anime.

Explosions 24/7
Feb 9, 2014 9:19 PM

Apr 2013
SeibaaHomu said:
NeoAnkara said:
Do you know why Japan invent anime? Because "anime style" is cost less that an average animation that made in US or so I read.

^
Feb 9, 2014 10:42 PM

Jan 2014
We had a small taste with Avatar, but really I'd like to see more adult animated TV shows. Green Lantern for example, they actually had to scale down charters like Red Lanterns as they spit burning blood from their mouths which ate away at skin like acid, to just red fire.

If they did cartoons like this and not this I would be much happier.

I hate how they tone down everything just because they only think kids watch it.
Feb 9, 2014 10:59 PM

Jun 2013
The animation would be a lot better and I think the shows would probably have more varied and better written plots compared to most of the recent anime.
Feb 10, 2014 1:19 AM
Aug 2012
I kind of doubt there would be more variation. Similar to any media (including anime), U.S. TV will take successful shows and copy them to some extent. Look at cop dramas.

I don't know if better writing would occur, either. Remember that most of the best writing, directing, acting, etc. in the U.S. is located within film rather than TV. Anime would probably be behind both of these and would be grabbing from a lower part of the talent pool.

Also, successful U.S. shows are always picked up for another season. Most of the time, they are ridden into the ground. Even the most well-written shows ultimately become shit.

Anime are more likely to be treated as a complete work. The cash cow is milked with OVA's and movies that are independent of the actual story. This allows shows to retain their integrity.
Feb 10, 2014 4:25 AM
Mar 2011
most sucseesfull anime do not run in seasonal Rotation in Japan hence why alot of anime that been running less time the big us cartoons has more eipsodes

modern over reliance on season shift has hurt the anime indsuty in Japan
look at the biggest money makes in Japan over all
Kamen rider
sentai
both have no seasonl shift just run back to back one ends next one begins and they allway out score every anime in the ratings too by ariund 4 or 5 ponits alot of the time
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 10, 2014 4:29 AM
Nov 2008
SeibaaHomu said:
NeoAnkara said:
The one terrible thing about the animation process for Japanese animation is that a lot of footage and mouth movements are conceived prior to any involvement with voice actors. This is why anime has 'flaps.'

Feb 10, 2014 4:36 AM

Nov 2010
then it would be 90% mecha/lazers/guns/eating/nascar and shit :D

would want to post a pic but the bbcode is broken

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1kWThL905Ec/UcIEXCifTvI/AAAAAAAADuI/dvBeB2Sp9oo/s1600/meanwhile-in-'murica-meme-mobilty-scooter-patriot.jpg
Feb 10, 2014 4:16 PM

Jan 2009
Proust said:
DarthVantos said:
kuuderes_shadow said:
They'd be just like the existing output of the US film and TV industry

Lol settle down. If there is one thing I give Hollywood credit for is to be able to "sell" well written stories. Stories that take you and change your outlook on everything. Japanese Anime seems to have a hard time selling these story driven animes. Instead they are forced into making a quick but by making Moeblobs, Shounen Ai and the famous Ecchi animes.

Please tell me you're kidding. Hollywood doesn't succeed in selling its crap because it's well written; scripts have never been worse. Neither are new ideas in great supply: 23 out of 25 of the top-grossing films of the 2000s were adaptations or remakes. It sells because it panders to the lowest common denominator and appeals to a universal market.

My guess is that the U.S. would have just as hard a time 'selling' character-driven dramas. I suspect there'd be drastically less interest in comedy as well.

I don't understand you. I said Sell a well written story, that means the studio turns a profit and doesn't burn for making the movie. All of sudden you pull out this Top grossing films! Like how the hell did that become relevant? I don't know why you are so butthurt that I gave hollowood credit for selling well written stories. Meanwhile stories like Free! and infinite stratos 2 Are the top selling animes for this year, and bakemonogatari but that's actually good.

You will Rarely see a studio in recent days produce an anime that won't burn them in the end it just no longer financially viable. Psycho-Pass was close to sales but didn't get that high.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What are some anime moments that made you kiss the screen?

Catalano - 2 hours ago

16 by tchitchouan »»
26 minutes ago

» why is myanimelist aka mal not popular in china?

deg - Yesterday

30 by LordSozin »»
27 minutes ago

» List of canceled anime.

ZXEAN - Yesterday

36 by traed »»
30 minutes ago

» Characters born on the same day/month as you ?

Yonahim_Zz - 3 hours ago

13 by Horizon248 »»
42 minutes ago

» Would you allow an anime robot resembling an attractive human female to take your virginity?

TsutanaiFuun - 6 hours ago

27 by BeastyAnimefan »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.