Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 1, 2007 7:42 AM

Sep 2007
Hi everyone, I've a little problem... My portable mac is just 800mhz and really can't deal with mkv ;_;
So I need to convert them with my pc in low resolution avi, but..how can I do?
I have the combined community codec pack installed, and tried with Virtual Dub Mode, TMPGEnc, Total Video Converter:nothing to do... any clues? I'm quite desperate...Thanx everyone, I hope I posted in the right place of the forum... ^^
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Dec 1, 2007 7:49 AM

Apr 2007
I use MediaCoder to transcode them to my portable player, and it does a good job converting mkvs to avis. It has a lot of options though, and you might want to play around with them, especially the subtitles one, if you want to move them over too. I set it to ID=1 on subtitles, since that's usually how the main English sub track is identified in mkvs.
Dec 1, 2007 7:58 AM

Sep 2007
Thanx a lot for the fast answer, Iri ^^ /me moved ;_;
I'm downloading it right now and I'll tell if it's working ^O^
Dec 1, 2007 10:05 AM

Sep 2007
D'oh! It's telling me I can't demux audio and video together ;_; I'm downloading the codec pack to see if it gets any better...
*now changing setup randomly to see if I find a combination..lucky there's italian language*
MireyuDec 1, 2007 10:19 AM
Dec 1, 2007 10:31 AM

Apr 2007
In MediaCoder, the settings that work for me when I try to convert MKVs-->AVIs, are:

Under the "Audio" tab, set the source as "MEncoder" (actually, I just have the "auto" box checked)
Under the "Video" tab, I have the source box set to "MPlayer" and the backend set to "MEncoder". Normally this will demux the MKVs along with the subtitles in most cases.

My settings look like this, but I'm encoding for a 2.5 inch screen, so you'll likely want a higher bitrate, etc.:

MediaCoder is really nothing more than a fancy Windows front end interface for MEncoder anyway.
Dec 1, 2007 11:04 AM

Sep 2007
Thank you again, now I'm trying a conversion with these settings ^^
Dec 1, 2007 11:26 AM

Sep 2007
WAI! Successful!!^O^ Me bowling saying Arigatou Gozaimasu ^O^
Last question: how can I join subs? May I select the mkv file from the subs tab?works?
Dec 2, 2007 12:24 PM

Oct 2007
I stumbled on to this topic because I had the same issue as well. I tried to convert an episode of Betterman(from an mkv) to an mp4, but only half of the video converts. Is there any way of locating and solving the issue?
Dec 2, 2007 12:34 PM

Apr 2007
llxwarbirdxll said:
I stumbled on to this topic because I had the same issue as well. I tried to convert an episode of Betterman(from an mkv) to an mp4, but only half of the video converts. Is there any way of locating and solving the issue?

I had this issue at one point. This was likely due to an issue in earlier versions of MPlayer (which, along with MEncoder, is what a lot of these transcoders use) and, oddly, FFmpeg, that had trouble reading MKVs due to their chapter structures. In other words, it was an error on the reading end, not the actual encoding. If you have a newer transcoder (like the one I linked to above) and use MPlayer as the source (i.e., the "reader" for the MKV before it is re-encoded), it should work correctly.
Dec 2, 2007 12:51 PM

Oct 2007
Iri said:
llxwarbirdxll said:

I had this issue at one point. This was likely due to an issue in earlier versions of MPlayer (which, along with MEncoder, is what a lot of these transcoders use) and, oddly, FFmpeg, that had trouble reading MKVs due to their chapter structures. In other words, it was an error on the reading end, not the actual encoding. If you have a newer transcoder (like the one I linked to above) and use MPlayer as the source (i.e., the "reader" for the MKV before it is re-encoded), it should work correctly.
I'm sorry, but I'm having a bit of trouble comprehending that.
Dec 2, 2007 1:11 PM

Apr 2007
I apologize. That was stated poorly on my part.

MKVs have an additional feature on them that can define chapters. The programs that re-encoded MKVs misinterpreted those chapter breaks as "end of file" and thus we only got half our file. I think that's what happened (or at least it was for me.)

Re-encoding programs have a decoder built in (so that it can decode File X before re-encoding it to File Y). You might not even ever notice it (usually it's either MPlayer or FFmpeg). This is where the problem was.

From my experience the newer versions of these re-encoders have fixed the problem. If you download the program I posted above and look at the settings I have in the screenshot I posted above (at least the "source" and "backend" settings -- you said you wanted MP4 as your container, I think), that should fix your problem. There are tons of programs out there that can re-encode, however. Hopefully at least one of them will work.
Dec 2, 2007 1:18 PM

Oct 2007
Thanks for your help Iri. It's greatly appreciated.
Dec 3, 2007 12:12 AM

Sep 2007
Me too, that worked greatly!^O^
I also converted some avi files for my cell phone ^O^ me happy! THAAANX!
Dec 3, 2007 3:33 AM

May 2006
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=58825

Alternative approach...

"I'll go crazy by the end of the year" - K Fu's comment while doing Proofs and Number Theory in Advanced Higher Maths
Aug 31, 2008 1:49 AM

Sep 2007
Does anyone know some good settings to convert an mp4 to an avi?I have to convert some Lagann episodes with media coder and still can't find the right settings ;_;
thanx in advance to everyone ^^
Aug 31, 2008 3:16 AM

Oct 2007
http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

tada... idk, its just an alternate video encoder, you can always try a different one and see if you have better luck
Aug 31, 2008 4:36 AM

Mar 2008
SUPER IS SUPER!
it's a little slow, but its very high quality and you can convert almost any format... even tho you only need mkv=>avi.
Aug 31, 2008 11:16 AM

Apr 2008
You can try AlltoAVI... I've used it for some h264 mkv and works great!
BUT, without subs... I add them with... VirtaulVubsub mod or something like that
Aug 31, 2008 11:28 AM

Aug 2008
SUPER is a good program to convert mkv->avi. Worked pretty good for some anime series, and some not >_> (out of sync)

well, atleast the program is free
Aug 31, 2008 11:58 AM

Jul 2008
I use MKVtoolnix and it works great for me ^_^
''... you know what? As a writer, I bring life into those who will experience happiness, sadness, torment and love in stories I write. They will have the opportunity to discover what being important means... and all because I will never be able to do the same as they could. If I could, I would put myself in their place right now. But no, my magic isn't like that...''
Aug 31, 2008 1:25 PM

Jun 2008
Are the programs suggested so far make the AVI files clear? Because it seems I've used some converters before and they totally changed the quality of the MKV files to pixelated, blurred AVI files.
Aug 31, 2008 1:47 PM

Jul 2008
Completely depends on what you set the video bitrate to. I'd highly recommend Alltoavi though. A short tute from one of the other forums I frequent...
http://alltoavi.sourceforge.net/

Short ALLtoAVI MKV tutorial
1. Start it up. Say yes to everything.
2. Add or drag a single .mkv file, OR select 'Add', Matroska .mkv and select the folder where all your MKV anime are.
3. A dialog box will pop up -
"H.264 Video detected!
Do you want Alltoavi to switch to more special restricted mode? [RECOMMANDED]"
click on "NO"
4. Set your settings:
Destination directory.
Leave screen size to default. (OR, if you're planning on scaling down for use on a PSP, PMP, etc. Change the bigger number to 640, the height should change accordingly)
Software scaler bi-cubic.
Video encoder DivX/XviD, doesn't matter.
Video bitrate, 1200.
Audio bitrate 192.
Subtitle, eng - or whatever is there.
Change button to the right, select Arial_28.
Audio, jpn - or whatever is there.
IMPORTANT: Right hand side, check the Force no skipping frames box. Check use normal no skip, click ok.
Add job.
5. CONVERT!
Quick and easy. And it won't take bloody 45 minutes to convert one .mkv episode. NEVER choose yes for the "RECOMMANDED" restricted mode.

Then if you're downscaling for use on a PMP, use vidrop. It's a GUI for mencoder I believe.
http://www.mympxplayer.org/free-open-source-converter-for-rockchip-mpeg4-xvid-players-vt7071.html
Usual settings for anime are
Bitrate: 256 - 512 (never over 512)
Codec: XviD
WxH: To whatever, keep it in scale.
Audio: MP3, 22050-44100Hz, Stereo, 64-128kbps
Single or two pass, doesn't really matter 'that' much.
Sep 1, 2008 2:36 AM

Sep 2007
Thanx everybody :-)
Oct 6, 2008 9:46 PM

Sep 2007
a lot of useful info here. thanks for the thread. ^.^
Oct 7, 2008 4:06 AM

Sep 2007
You're welcome :-)
Oct 7, 2008 5:25 AM

Jun 2007
I might need to try some of these myself. My computer is about 5 years old and it's really struggling with some of these MKVs.
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Oct 7, 2008 5:50 AM

Sep 2007
It's hard to encode with a slow machine,however; I'm using a pentium D pc to encode and a G4 to watch T T
Oct 7, 2008 5:51 AM

Jun 2007
Mireyu said:
It's hard to encode with a slow machine,however; I'm using a pentium D pc to encode and a G4 to watch T T

Well, if I'm lucky I might be getting some upgrades off my friend if he does his one up. His cast-offs are my upgrades!

Oct 7, 2008 6:34 AM

Sep 2008
Try using a wishbone it works plently for me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Guidelines!
Oct 7, 2008 6:36 AM

Aug 2007
OranSolus said:
Mireyu said:

Well, if I'm lucky I might be getting some upgrades off my friend if he does his one up. His cast-offs are my upgrades!
My computers are so old that I've gotten upgrades out of someones trash. (srsly)
Oct 7, 2008 6:45 AM

Jun 2007
ZinnKid said:
OranSolus said:
Mireyu said:

My computers are so old that I've gotten upgrades out of someones trash. (srsly)

Who the hell would do that? Now if you don't mind, I need to go do...Something else entirely! :)

Oct 8, 2008 9:37 AM

Jul 2008
ZinnKid said:
OranSolus said:
Mireyu said:

yea, but his trash is your treasure.
Feb 9, 2009 11:41 AM

Sep 2007
Hi there, I have the same problem as before,exept that now I'm working on Mac os X. I can use Windows on Parallels,however I'd like to find a good editor/converter for Leopard that makes me CUT mkv and ENCODE them in avi. I usually cut the opening/ending themes I like the most.
Any suggestion?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.