Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 30, 2020 8:52 PM
May 2020
anthy yelling stop it to chu chu when akio was putting his arm around utena made me so happy and when she got in between them anddd blinked to ruin the photo so they wouldn’t have one with akio in it,
Jan 2, 2021 11:26 PM

May 2016
I find it interesting how we're shown Anthy's protecting Utena away from Akio during the photoshoot.
Jan 24, 2021 2:29 AM

Nov 2018
Dios turned into Lucifer , and now another Prince is about to forget his identity ...
I hate everyone equally
Jan 24, 2021 2:33 AM

Nov 2018
Seijatachiiii said:
the way im desperately reading through this thread to make sure i understand everything-

haha same =)

It's nice when media you consume actually makes you think so much , but anime like this need really lots of attention to details. I'm glad I only watch 6-9 episodes daily , my head would explode if I was watching it in the same pace as I was watching tv series in my teens...
I hate everyone equally
Jan 28, 2021 8:10 PM

Mar 2014
Damn that is another huge twist from the last several episodes. The plot is finally kicking into major gear and I'm getting whiplash

So Anthy tried to save her brother from burning himself out trying to save everyone... only to be labeled a witch (because she couldn't be saved as a princess by her own brother) and punished with eternal suffering... THAT'S the eternity that the Prince showed her... and that's why Utena wants to be a prince. To save her. Damn.

May 6, 2021 11:54 PM

Jul 2016
Dios can't save his sister because he's not into incest so Utena took it upon herself to do the deed instead. So basically: Yuri Love >>> Incestuous Love.

Now seriously, finally an episode which explores Anthy's mysterious character and to no one's surprise, she ended up being a quite tragic one. Taking the "witch" role, she decided to deny everyone's happiness for the sake of her beloved brother's well-being. Which resulted in her receiving eternal hatred by everyone. All because she wanted to protect the person she cherished the most.

Also surprise! Leaving LAWS aside, Utena wasn't raped by Akio as many people were claiming last episode. She let him seduce her and felt guilty afterwards mainly because she felt her promise/bond with her prince may have been damaged due to her latest actions.
Nov 23, 2021 1:12 AM

Apr 2021
It's a brilliant episode. From the shadow play, the flashback, the truth about Anthy.
I think the first Ending Song Clip has foreshadow this, like Utena and Anthy is hugging the same 'prince'.
Back then i was really denying my thought that the Utena's prince might be 'Akio', but it was the actual truth and shown to me in a brilliant way. This show is epic!
Mar 28, 2022 12:31 PM

Jan 2022
And I thought this show was confusing before..

Akio was right though I guess, Utena doesn't seem to remember what she saw at all. Also, with the whole thing in the play about the rose prince being locked away in the floating castle, is that why during the duels it looks like Dios comes down to Utena or something? Not sure how to describe it lmao
Apr 11, 2022 1:34 PM
Jul 2021
THIS WAS DEFINITELY MY FAVORITE EPISODE SO FAR. AGGHHHHHH THIS SHOW IS SO WEIRD AND SLOW BUT EPISODES LIKE THIS MAKE IT SO WORTH IT
Sep 27, 2022 12:34 AM
Oct 2020
OMG SO SHE DID IT ALL FOR HER :,(
Jul 9, 2023 3:52 PM
Feb 2021
Things kinda makes sense now. However, I will be really upset if the show goes for the easy route, which is just to have Utena "save" Anthy.

As the show points out, trying to save everyone, like how Akio did as a child, is impossible. This becomes much more clear as you age, which is why the prince said for her not to lose her "nobility" or that childish ideal.

In the end, Himemiya saving Akio obviously caused the anguish that made him into the scumbag that he is. He still tries to "save" everyone even though it's impossible. Now it feels like she's just doing the same thing to Utena.

Utena's devotion to Anthy is because she needs a princess to save to be the prince. So she won't be a prince anymore if she's saved the princess.

Honestly, there's so many conflicting resolutions to this idea that I really hope the conclusion can deliver.
Jul 23, 2023 5:25 PM
Feb 2023
okay so *puts delulu goggles on*.............. ALL ALONG UTENA HAS BEEN FIGHTING TO SAVE ANTHY WHO'S A WITCH DOOMED TO ETERNAL PAIN AND THE PRINCE IS PRETENDING TO BE THE VICTIM HERE SO UTENA CAN FALL FOR HIMS INSTEAD BUT HE'S STILL JUST AN ANNOYING PERV GETTING IN THE WAY OF THE LESBIANS
Oct 4, 2023 10:31 AM

Aug 2023
I dont think Anthy is evil, to me it just seems like she was just a young girl who wanted to protect her brother, everyone who's talking about incest seems kinda silly to me. Dios himself said that her prince was different, that he was End of the World so its not the same relationship they used to have, it became twisted because HE became twisted.

And I mean do you all not have people you love? what would you do if you were seeing a loved one suffering and close to death's doors? would you not try to save them? and you mustnt forget that she was just a child, she could never have predicted the people would do that (which wtf i swear i had ousama ranking flashbacks that was so messed up)

To me it seems a sort of split personality disorder (though Im sure they're going with a more magical approach so its not exactly this), I think after realising what happened to young Anthy, Dios couldn't stand the guilt and the pain and his personality changed due to that event. But lol what do I know??

𝑩𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒂𝒔 𝒅𝒂𝒓𝒌 𝒂𝒔 𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒊𝒔, 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓𝒔 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒔𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒖𝒏 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒓𝒊𝒔𝒆.
Mar 21, 10:36 AM

Mar 2013
This episode made all the focus on Nanami make so much more sense. They were foreshadowing the incest themes and doing a deeper dive on it with them as the allegory. They also seem to mirror it in other ways I'm not sure yet.
This show is suddenly so much better in the last few episodes it's crazy!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

53 by LLG »»
Apr 17, 1:18 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

59 by Barrou2a »»
Mar 30, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 8, 2009

77 by Superkitty21 »»
Mar 19, 9:15 PM

» Looking for a good explanation video

LoveYourEyes - Mar 19

3 by 1coolgirl2b »»
Mar 19, 9:13 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

philautia_ - Aug 29, 2009

56 by Superkitty21 »»
Mar 19, 7:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.