Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 26, 2009 9:58 PM
Jan 2008
SwordWielder said:
I thought hinagiku met nishizawa before... how come it looks like they met for the first time in this episode...

they've met in the ova befoer too...

the last ep or so of season 1 said they will get back to the skipped part where hina and ayumu became friends. so i guess season 2 is to have those events. maybe hina's birthday is coming up like season 1 said for another occasion in season 2.
Apr 26, 2009 11:38 PM

Jan 2008
xhx said:
SwordWielder said:
I thought hinagiku met nishizawa before... how come it looks like they met for the first time in this episode...

they've met in the ova befoer too...

the last ep or so of season 1 said they will get back to the skipped part where hina and ayumu became friends. so i guess season 2 is to have those events. maybe hina's birthday is coming up like season 1 said for another occasion in season 2.

so season 2 is like a "fill in the gap"
Apr 27, 2009 1:23 AM

Mar 2008
What? no choco from Hina-chan?!

Let the fanart roll in XD
Apr 27, 2009 3:18 AM

Aug 2007
The chocolate battle was awesome. Phoenix choco, yummy.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Apr 27, 2009 5:28 AM

Mar 2008
HoaRy said:
Kei1ro said:
Hasn't Hinagiku already met Ayumu in the past? An example of this would be when the student council trio, Hina, and Ayumu fly to Rome near the end of Season 1? If so, what was the point of Hina asking for Ayumu's name?

Ah, I wondered about this too. But this story has to be obviously an earlier one in the manga - well, chapter 66 is a rather low number.

Yeah, maybe they forgot to put that chapter during season 1, so they added it now. Quite confusing in my opinion...

Apr 27, 2009 6:28 AM
Jan 2008
SwordWielder said:

not sure i guess some of the eps are fill in the gaps...
Apr 27, 2009 2:05 PM

Jul 2008
xhx said:
SwordWielder said:

uh i dunt thinkso <_< everything as of rite now (episode 4) should be brand new material never aired b4 .
Only other reason why i think JC Staff would bring old material would be if it was relating to the main plot/story
Apr 27, 2009 5:02 PM

Jan 2008
I can see why the second season might not appeal to those who loved the first season and vice versa. This season seems promising so far. It may end up surpassing the first one in my eyes, even though there have been some major changes and this controversial shift in the timeline, but that's not the main point of my post.

Seeing as many people are confused as to what's happening in the anime timeline-wise, and partially inspired by the Clannad timeline that was floating around, I decided to create my own timeline for Hayate no Gotoku (just in case: includes spoilers throughout season 1 and up to season 2 episode 4) [size: 2 697 x 2 339 pixels, 137KB].

It shouldn't contain any spoilers about future manga events aside from the manga chapter titles, which don't really tell you anything. I did include some speculation about which chapters will be animated in episode 5 based on the preview.

Please point out any mistakes or missing information. I have more dates written down, *cough* March 3rd *cough*, and keywords for every manga chapter listed, but I omitted them here in order to avoid spoiling anything. The plot keywords may be confusing, since I was just jotting them down as personal notes, but decided to leave them in to serve as a quick summary.

edit: updated timeline, dimensions were changed
SpawwvyApr 28, 2009 8:24 AM
Apr 27, 2009 5:17 PM

Aug 2008
Thanks Spawwvy!

So really, out of a 52 episode series, less than half was anime ep. This did help a little bit, but it does seem that, as I expected, the first season didn't really follow an explicit timeline. Since that seems to be the case, I'm not sure if it really was all that good of an idea of JC Staff to try and go straight from the manga chronologically (if that is indeed what they are doing) because it seems like they are always going to have themselves attached and reliant on Synergy. It's weird to ask viewers to remember some of what happened and disregard other things.
Apr 27, 2009 9:36 PM
Jan 2008
ClearSinz said:
xhx said:
SwordWielder said:

uh i dunt thinkso <_< everything as of rite now (episode 4) should be brand new material never aired b4 .
Only other reason why i think JC Staff would bring old material would be if it was relating to the main plot/story

i know season 2 are brand new materials. i'm just saying that they are giving us some of the material that season 1 left out like hina's birthday. and ep 4 showed us how hina and ayumu became friends. in season 1 they didn't tell us how hina and ayumu became friends in the last ep and they were going on a trip together.
Spawwvy said:
Please point out any mistakes or missing information. I have more dates written down, *cough* March 3rd *cough*.

march 3rd was hina's birthday right? if i remember correctly from season 1(I didn't read the manga). i want more maria and ayumu =/. but hina is ok i guess..
Apr 27, 2009 9:50 PM

Feb 2008
noteDhero said:
Thanks Spawwvy!
It's weird to ask viewers to remember some of what happened and disregard other things.

Agreed.

I curious, could someone tell me who decided that almost or over half of the episodes in S1 would be OAV? Was it the director Keiichiro Kawaguchi? And if so did he have the approval of Kenjiro Hata? Or was it TV Tokyo who, I believe, financed both S1 & S2 and hired Kawaguchi and Synergy to develop it? Has Kenjiro Hata ever said anything negative about S1 and all the extra episodes?

If TV Tokyo approved and paid for both seasons why would the make up of season 2, in regards to OAVs, be substantially different from season 1?
Apr 28, 2009 12:59 AM

Jan 2009
noteDhero said:
So really, out of a 52 episode series, less than half was anime ep. This did help a little bit, but it does seem that, as I expected, the first season didn't really follow an explicit timeline.

Correct. In S1, they wildly jumped around in the timeline, tagging alot of the "crazy standalone" chapters. But they didn't care for consistency, so they had no problems showing characters together that weren't even introduced etc. - which was one of the reasons why as a manga fan, I was pretty angry with the second half of S1.

Since that seems to be the case, I'm not sure if it really was all that good of an idea of JC Staff to try and go straight from the manga chronologically (if that is indeed what they are doing) because it seems like they are always going to have themselves attached and reliant on Synergy.

I'd say it's the opposite. They are slowly undoing the damage done by Synergy. After all, Synergy did not deliver anything coherent in the first place, but an unconnected sequence of one-shots.

The Valentine Day was a key story milestone for various reasons. They had no chance to cast "mind wipe" on the audience, so instead they're simply doing the story as it was supposed to be. Which is perfectly fine with me. There is no way to "retroactively" adapt to what Synergy displayed without completely mutilating the story.

So, the best advice I can give to non-manga viewers: Forget that the second half of S1 existed in the first place. Hayate has only been with Nagi for a bit more than 1 month now. And from this point on, things will be consistent.
Apr 28, 2009 1:15 AM

Sep 2007
I only can say, poor Maria lol

ITS NOT LIKE I WANT TO GIVE CHOCO TO YOU OR ANYTHING

Apr 28, 2009 1:32 AM

Mar 2008
About Hinagiku not knowing Nishizawa... The Valentine chapters are from vol 7, #68 and 69. I checked the 6 previous volumes, and Nishizawa never met Hinagiku before. So there's nothing wrong with episode 4.

So i suppose the trip to Rome was a bonus in season 1 and has no relation to the manga.
Apr 28, 2009 5:07 AM

Nov 2008
if that's a partial remake + continuation, I hope the 2nd season will have hundreds episode xD
Apr 28, 2009 8:32 AM

Jan 2008
xhx said:
march 3rd was hina's birthday right? if i remember correctly from season 1(I didn't read the manga). i want more maria and ayumu =/. but hina is ok i guess..

Yes, March 3rd is Hinagiku's birthday and that event would naturally be centered around her. If they're keeping this pace, it will probably (spoiler for episode numbers, speculative)

As for others: just wait and see, I don't think fans of other characters will be disappointed. There's lots of interesting material coming up even in the near future.

Mentar said:
So, the best advice I can give to non-manga viewers: Forget that the second half of S1 existed in the first place. Hayate has only been with Nagi for a bit more than 1 month now. And from this point on, things will be consistent.

I agree totally with this. If someone were to start (re-)watching this series now, I'd say:
  • Watch episodes 1-25 and 52.
  • Skip 10 and 18 if you don't like anime original fanservice oriented episodes.
  • In addition, watch 40 and 43 if you want to see everything that has happened chronologically before season 2.

PS. The timeline got a minor update.
Apr 28, 2009 11:54 AM

Jul 2008
xhx said:
ClearSinz said:
xhx said:
SwordWielder said:

i know season 2 are brand new materials. i'm just saying that they are giving us some of the material that season 1 left out like hina's birthday. and ep 4 showed us how hina and ayumu became friends. in season 1 they didn't tell us how hina and ayumu became friends in the last ep and they were going on a trip together.

o ok sry XD, after checking the timeline above i realized season two did have material that happened b4 season one's last episode, seems like s1 jumped about more than i noticed XD but i guess it would be hard for those who dont read the manga and are watching s2 lolz
just hope s2 wont be as jumpy as s1

BTW who ever made that timeline is a brilliant person =D, thx for sharing Spawwy
Apr 28, 2009 12:01 PM

Jan 2008
ClearSinz said:
BTW who ever made that timeline is a brilliant person =D, thx for sharing Spawwy

You're welcome. I made it and I plan to update it weekly until the anime episodes reach the latest manga chapter I've read, which is 130 at the moment.
Apr 28, 2009 3:59 PM

Feb 2008
Mentar said:
Who's Nagi? I think I over-forgot.

I loved the first part of s1 but the second half seemed... off. Sure, there were some funny episodes but somehow I felt the magic was gone and I almost had to force myself to finish it. Since I haven't read the manga this thread explains a lot.

Was there even a plot in s1, I don't remember anything important happening?
Apr 28, 2009 7:18 PM

Jul 2008
kuroshiroi said:
Who's Nagi? I think I over-forgot.

I loved the first part of s1 but the second half seemed... off. Sure, there were some funny episodes but somehow I felt the magic was gone and I almost had to force myself to finish it. Since I haven't read the manga this thread explains a lot.

Was there even a plot in s1, I don't remember anything important happening?

lolz it ok, Nagi is the one of main character the of the show (shes from the Sanzein family), the one always with Hayate , and the one that hired him ya know that little one <_<
And talking about the plot in s1, from wat i remember there wasn't a definite plot since the episodes jumped everywhere XD.It was more like lets use 52 episodes to get the basics , the characters, and humor,but important things/information were mentioned such as the pendant, the debt, the attack of the 6 mysterious butlers.
I think the second half lost its "magic" , cuz imo it had some episodes where it wasnt as funny anymore, or too much plain talking bout plot. I also do believe it was the second part where Hayate actually started fighting more, so it kinda got a bit less boring <_<

Spawwvy said:

You're welcome. I made it and I plan to update it weekly until the anime episodes reach the latest manga chapter I've read, which is 130 at the moment.

O please do, it will clearly help anyone who is at lost with the plot's timeline (lik meh XD)

Anyone plz add more info, and correct me if im wrong. Most of wat i typed above was based on memory and assumptions, too lazy to go back and check facts <_< (wow that was long <_<)

Apr 28, 2009 10:55 PM

Feb 2008
Mentar said:
Correct. In S1, they wildly jumped around in the timeline, tagging alot of the "crazy standalone" chapters. But they didn't care for consistency, so they had no problems showing characters together that weren't even introduced etc. - which was one of the reasons why as a manga fan, I was pretty angry with the second half of S1.

Thanks, Mentar, this is now starting to make some sense. - I guess it would have been difficult to do but a press release in ANN or something to clue the non-manga people in as far as where the new episodes fit in might have been helpful. Until I read what you and some of the other manga readers had to say I, and I assume others, figured JC Staff was just picking up where Synergy left off.

I'd still like to know how it was decided to go off on such a wild tangent.
Apr 29, 2009 12:02 AM

Aug 2008
I have to admit I also was getting weirded out by the seriousness of the first half of this episode. It felt out of place. I do like all the romance and I am now firmly 100% a Hayate/Maria shipper, which makes me feel bad for Nagi, because her love is so deep for him, but Hayate and Maria are just too rediculously perfect for each other. In past episodes, it's always been that way. Hayate and Maria were the only ones able to pull off serious, non-comical scenes together. There were quite a few and every single time, they pulled it off, making you feel warm inside. Hayate hasn't had a single moment with any other character like the times he's had with Maria.

But I was glad this episode turned funny again after the confession by Hamster. I was just thinking before this episode how I was gonna rant about not seeing Maria at all in this "second season" and now she got a good chunk of time in which we got to see her sweetness. As for the rest of the episode, it was good. (By the way, does anyone else get the feeling the light blue-haired girl - I'm so drawing a blank now - might have a crush on Hina? I can hope can't I? I had to ask why she would have a solo appearance with Hina now when usually she's with her two friends.)

So yeah, I'm fully a Hayate/Maria shipper after this episode when I was leaning different directions before. I just hope that if this show does go the route of romance in the end, that they do it right. Funny but also solid. And no wavering! If it's final, it's final and the others have to be turned down with finality, no matter who Hayate ends up with. I doubt it will ever get that far though, at least not until Nagi grows up, which might never happen for this story.
Romance comedy anime - Japan's gift to America
Apr 30, 2009 1:08 AM

Jan 2008
Hmm, average episode :/
Maria needs a hug :(
Apr 30, 2009 8:21 AM

Jan 2009
Nishizawa - suspicious rogue ^_^ Haha Maria and Hayate talking about love, it was something hilarious. The whole episode was awesome. I'm liking this season much more than the first one. Can't wait till next ep
Apr 30, 2009 4:56 PM

Aug 2008
Heh, my favorite part was Wataru eating the cake that Saki dropped. He showed a lot of maturity and love right there.
Apr 30, 2009 9:58 PM

Aug 2008
Ayumu! She's awesome <3
Maria's gag is just like Keitaro's from Love Hina :P

Look @ the preview! ;D

HoaRy said:
Kei1ro said:
Hasn't Hinagiku already met Ayumu in the past? An example of this would be when the student council trio, Hina, and Ayumu fly to Rome near the end of Season 1? If so, what was the point of Hina asking for Ayumu's name?

Ah, I wondered about this too. But this story has to be obviously an earlier one in the manga - well, chapter 66 is a rather low number.

They said that only 1 month had passed since Nagi and Hayate met, so now being February, it's 2. You seriously didn't pay attention? The part about them going to Rome together was when Hayate had been at Nagi's place for more than a year by the way, in the first season anyway.

May 1, 2009 10:01 AM

Jul 2008
This is my favorite episode so far. Hardly any Nagi which of course can only lead to good things. I loved all the parts with Maria. It was funny seeing Hayate bashing himself for not having an interesting teenage life when Maria's experienced the same thing.
May 3, 2009 4:12 PM

May 2007
What about Hinagku's chocolate? Boo..

Oh well, decent episode, I guess.
May 4, 2009 10:37 PM

May 2007
Pardon, did I see right, did the anime actually mention Maria for more than 10 seconds. I am so glad to see it.

As the only person I think in the world who thinks Hayate may end up with Maria this was nice, real first 10 episodes like, since the school came in Maria has been pushed to the back for...HER. Also nice to see Ayumu do some stuff, these people should be leads but due to the demon with pink hair they can't even be in the ending.
My anime list
May 6, 2009 10:32 PM

Apr 2007
Cute episode.

LOL'd hard at Maria's scenes.
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
May 13, 2009 1:15 AM

Feb 2008
Ahaha! I like the last half... :D

LOL! Maria-san is so pitiful, I hope she will get one from someone...

Looking forward to the next episode. ;D

/me also waiting for Hinagiku's *woot*...
Jun 3, 2009 6:39 PM

Sep 2008
Hayate dressed as miko. lmfao.

Maria moe~
Jun 20, 2009 10:52 PM

Oct 2008
Cute episode XD

HINAGIKU IS MINE ! MINE !
Aug 21, 2010 2:05 AM

Apr 2008
Needs more Klaus and Tama but was a cute ep.

Oct 16, 2010 7:10 PM
Jul 2018
really liked this episode...

even if its "romance," i just love character development...maria's different sides and hina's growing feelings for hayate is good

5/5!
Aug 13, 2011 10:14 PM
Nov 2009
MY HEART IS FULL OF WARMTH.

Gosh, Hayate truly does have a top tier harem. Maria did me in. I died.
Nov 19, 2011 4:21 AM

Feb 2011
While Hinagiku is receiving chocolates, here Hayate is giving one. LOL love it

and Maria is so adorable in this episode ♥
Nov 26, 2011 2:21 AM

Sep 2011
antifayt said:
Meh... first 2/3rds of the episode was boring... zzz...

Woah I thought the exact same thing! O_o Though I did love the last part with Hayate, Nagi, and Maria! ^_^ It made the whole episode much better! :D
Aug 10, 2012 2:48 PM

Jan 2011
Amazing ending, that was a lot of fun to watch.
I need to finish this before season 3/4 starts airing.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Aug 16, 2012 11:53 AM

May 2012
Great episode about Valentine's day! Really lovely and the ending was hearth warming :)
Feb 3, 2015 3:12 PM

Oct 2013
boring chocolate episode :(
nanofate fan
konata x kagami fan
May 14, 2015 7:34 PM
May 2015
In which episode Hayate gives chocolate to maria
Oct 24, 2017 10:52 PM
May 2017
I thought Hinagiku and Nishizawa already knew each other in the first season.
Apr 2, 2018 9:29 PM

Sep 2017
Good episode. Nagi messing up the chocolate was hilarious. Damn.

Looks like Hayate is still racking up that harem. Also the Akiba's Lord British was funny this episode. Poor priest.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Mar 24, 2021 8:44 PM

Aug 2018
Maria's chocolate though hahaha

Oct 5, 2021 9:38 AM

Dec 2018
Mehhh. This episode was big meh not because it has too much plot progression, but because it takes itself a step too seriously. And what's up with Maria anyway? I actually prefer her in season 1, when she didn't seem to fall for Hayate so easily. Season 1 is mostly filler, so knowing that, it just means Maria also falls for Hayate pretty quickly right at the start of second season. Again, the Maria who sort of gradually realizes she likes Hayate but still keeps a distance from him (for obvious reasons) works much better for me.

Lacks dat shitty lame ass parody that slowly did grow on me (almost like bad puns). Also kinda ruins Maria for me. Even if it's filler, I wish they could've kept the Maria in the first season.
. . .
Feb 20, 2023 7:47 PM
May 2020
The Fourth Wall Breaks Are Back!
Hayate ends up making the chocolates for the women in his household.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ClearSinz - Apr 10, 2009

91 by mySaudate »»
May 22, 2023 2:57 AM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

game8910 - Sep 18, 2009

140 by 1Konochi »»
Apr 13, 2023 11:50 AM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 11, 2009

61 by 1Konochi »»
Apr 12, 2023 6:00 PM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jun 19, 2009

103 by MiMiXSheShe »»
Apr 6, 2023 2:25 AM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 22 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 28, 2009

46 by 1Konochi »»
Apr 5, 2023 7:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.