Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 23, 2009 10:46 PM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Aaaaand, the plot thickens. I enjoyed this episode, the dog was retardedly cute. Kondo(IV) is out of the picture, and we've confirmed Akira is connected to the NEET massacre. Past this, we're also now aware that Takira's a badass who owns a mall, and is also probably behind Careless Monday to some extent. Just why did this selected one decide to erase his memory? Sure, he's done bad things, but surely he was prepared for it? What triggered this change of heart?

I'm absolutely dying to meet some of the other Selecao, and they're undoubtedly show up over the course of this show. As Kondo said, there's ten more. Will they try to kill him as well? Or aid him? This also shone a little light over the Selecao who are more or less being played with by a company for... the betterment of Japan? I'm seriously curious how that'll work out.

Saki has distanced herself from Akira now too, which is probably good for their relationship(they were getting way too close, far too quickly for my taste). Most all, this episode had a completely badass and yet adorable dog who gave us a pretty priceless reaction from Saki and Akira. Every answer turns up another ten questions, I love this show, great episode.

Noblesse Oblige.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Apr 23, 2009 11:53 PM

Aug 2008
I liked this episode. Considering the ridiculous amount of information we were given in this episode, it was still very thrilling, though it probably could have been a hair shorter in the tooling around the mall part so that we could have gotten a bit more breathing room for Kondo's death.

Also, the scenes within the city were so wonderfully vibrant, I kind of stopped paying attention to Akira just to look around.
Apr 24, 2009 12:00 AM

Sep 2008
I wholeheartedly agree with you two. My greatest worry for this show is simply its length: how much more development and Selecao can be shown before the show ends? I foresee a possible Mirai Nikki development, with a couple other Selecao showing up together..
Bottom line: I still love this show as much as I did when it came out, and I can hardly wait for the next episode.
Apr 24, 2009 12:00 AM
Nov 2008
I'm quickly drawn to this series.. Lots of development and questions left unanswered.. Was kinda surprised that Kondo died so soon, but at least he provided some important information before he left (?). How careless of him to steal Akira's phone without checking whether he can use it and also to send a text message for his lover to his wife by mistake XXD

Now that we know that Akira is involved in the disappearance of 20,000 NEETS and somewhat involved in Careless Monday.. What does that have to do with Selecao and their 10 people / agents? Will Akira die in the end because he has used up the balance in his phone (NOoo!!)??

Besides, I like the realism of this anime (besides the fact that missiles fall and no one is harmed). I love to see how this anime develops, but I'm a little worried that they'll end the anime abruptly to create enough plot for the movie...
Apr 24, 2009 12:05 AM

Aug 2008
As far as length goes, I'm optimistic because we're getting a lot of information at a really great pace. A lot of ground has been covered without it feeling too overwhelming, or slow, which is very hard to do. So I feel like we're going to get a bit of an pseudo climax in the show, just satisfying to whet the appetite for the mega climax that will be in the movie.
Apr 24, 2009 12:10 AM

Jul 2008
noteDhero said:
As far as length goes, I'm optimistic because we're getting a lot of information at a really great pace. A lot of ground has been covered without it feeling too overwhelming, or slow, which is very hard to do. So I feel like we're going to get a bit of an pseudo climax in the show, just satisfying to whet the appetite for the mega climax that will be in the movie.

Yeah, that's basically what I wanted to say, damn. I swear if that movie is just a recap though, I will choke some bitches. Anyhoo, I remain optimistic, the pacing of this is fantastic and I couldn't be happier.

Sidenote: Thanks for pointing out the ridiculously beautiful city scenes. For some reason, they eluded me in my initial post :(

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Apr 24, 2009 12:11 AM

Nov 2007
just wow. did not expect him dying like that, so it seems the supporters are the one that set up the players to be killed. it seems like a messed up game of cat and mouse. but how quickly things change makes me love this even more. i can't wait to see what comes next.

edit: are there no previews for this anime?

edit 2: MOVIE! WHAT!
Apr 24, 2009 1:35 AM

Jan 2008
Oh wow, that was unexpected D:
Really wonder how Akira is related to the incident with the 20k NEETS.
Apr 24, 2009 1:59 AM

Oct 2008
Awesome episode, this show answers questions in a way in which they become questions in themselves (hope that makes sense). Really want to know what this NEET thing is all about. We really need to know more about Selecao!

Another good episode, hope the next episode delivers with some concrete explanations.
Apr 24, 2009 2:02 AM

Jan 2009
I'm starting to love this anime even more.
So the "Supporter" is probably the one that diverted the message that was intended to be sent to Kondo's mistress to his wife.

Apr 24, 2009 5:02 AM

Apr 2008
Now im starting to understand wat this series is about xD

Apr 24, 2009 5:03 AM

Jun 2008
Interesting episode. It's becoming better.
Apr 24, 2009 5:37 AM

Feb 2008
Awesome episode.
Tenshi Inu was adorable.
orangehouse said:
Now im starting to understand wat this series is about xD

Well, yes. But this episode also brought up some new questions.
Apr 24, 2009 5:45 AM

Feb 2008
best anime this season
Apr 24, 2009 6:13 AM
Feb 2008
Indeed this is becoming better every episode . Lets see what the next one is like ^^
Apr 24, 2009 6:55 AM

Jun 2008
Veronin said:
best anime this season

No. Cross Game is.

But this is awesome to. I really liked the episode. Let's see where it takes us...
Apr 24, 2009 7:22 AM

Feb 2009
So great. Again.

Right now all we know is that Selecaos are part of some game to improve society or something. Yet we don't really know what their immediate goal is, and how they can achieve it. I don't really see a connection between killing NEETs and sending missiles to Japan without killing anyone.

I'm guessing that the current Takizawa doesn't really own a mall, Akira Takizawa probably isn't his real identity anyways. Of course there's the dog that seems to know him, but then again with Juiz's support the players can do anything.

As for the detective, I'm sure he's not stupid enough to send a message to his wife instead of his mistress. Juiz must have transferred the SMS since stealing another player's phone, or their money, must be against the rules. We already know that they aren't supposed to kill each other, or else Takizawa would be dead already. As for the detective's wife actually going to stab someone in public, and then everyone not giving a shit that someone's dying, I'm sure that the supporter can make it happen.

Can't wait for more of this. :)
AlexstratzApr 24, 2009 7:30 AM
Apr 24, 2009 7:40 AM

Oct 2007
great episode with finally some plot development, me like ^^
Apr 24, 2009 7:49 AM

Jul 2008
so answered a bit. they are playing a game where they have to kills each other or something?
the end reminds me a bit of school days^^;

Apr 24, 2009 8:10 AM

Dec 2008
I'm really speechless, I don't know how much I can really say other than the fact that this anime really gets better after each episode!

I soaked up every minute of this episode, it was extremely enjoyable :D

I'm loving Akira more and more; I finally realized why I partly like him: he's like a carefree/normal/smooth version of L (he was wearing a white sweater and jeans last epi) XD

I really liked how despite the lack of memory he has, Akira is so calm and poised. It felt like he just had this sense of quick intuition...he easily adjusts to his environemnt and absorbs all of the information he learns <3

I can ramble on about every detail but I think that'll result in a really long post, as if this isn't already long XD

Yet again, I look forward to the next episode!
Apr 24, 2009 8:53 AM
May 2008
Another great episode and it reminds me of Mirai Nikki a lot... mostly the characters all playing a some game. Like others have said the length of the series is kind of disheartening, but maybe they'll somehow fit enough info in 11 episodes.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Apr 24, 2009 9:36 AM

Nov 2008
I'm really curious about the dog, are those wings just taped on or 'real'? They're not attached to his collar. Anyway, Akira owning a mall, pretty sweet. He sure has style, lol.

And what I thought, has kind of been confirmed. Akira did have something to do with the missile bombings. (But to bomb a city to kill 20.000+ people??)

Hm, I hope we will learn more about the 'Supporters' in the next episode. They seem like the real bad ones.

What a sad way to die, getting stabbed by your own wife, and no one around gives a care. But maybe that was all planned by those supporters/Juiz?

Really looking forward to the next episode, I still can't believe there are only 8 episodes left. (+ 1 movie)..
Apr 24, 2009 9:45 AM

Aug 2008
Darkii said:

No. Cross Game is.

Just watch Touch and you'll realize how much Cross Game is a retelling with a gender swap and a few other minor details changes.

Anyways, after getting some sleep, these are some of my thoughts:

Akira's killing NEETs was his transparent way of helping society.

Gleaning the allusion to 9/11, I'm going to guess that Careless Monday was an attempt to inspire the united, positive atmosphere of the US post 9/11 in Japan without actually killing anyone.

Still wondering why Akira had his mind wiped.
Apr 24, 2009 9:52 AM

Jul 2008
I really like it, it have this little Mirai nikki feel
Apr 24, 2009 9:57 AM

Oct 2008
great episode ^_^

Apr 24, 2009 10:12 AM

Jul 2008
UGH I HATE THIS finally my questions are answered and now new ones always questions not enough answers until the next episode XD
so now that he gots 2 phones i wonder if he gonna let me have the other =D

btw lols at killing about twenty thousand (was it?) neets
Apr 24, 2009 10:21 AM

Feb 2009
noteDhero said:
Gleaning the allusion to 9/11, I'm going to guess that Careless Monday was an attempt to inspire the united, positive atmosphere of the US post 9/11 in Japan without actually killing anyone.

Actually I'm thinking that whoever was behind Careless Monday wanted Japan to enter a state of high alert, in order for the country to become more vigilant towards terrorist attacks, but at the same time control its citizens' life better, through a tougher media control for example.

This way it's easier for the Selecao organization (or whatever they're called) to accomplish their agenda, but then again it would've been more effective if that person actually hurt people.

Ah conspiracy theories, they suit this show so well. :D
Apr 24, 2009 10:25 AM

Aug 2007
Apr 24, 2009 12:58 PM

Mar 2009
I felt like last ep they just barely failed to bite into the creamy center of the plot, but this time they did.

Have to question the whole NEET thing, seems a bit odd, hopefully they'll answer that.
And the thing about the cell phone money is interesting, I wonder if there is a way to get more.
Apr 24, 2009 1:32 PM

Oct 2007
robbydesu said:

I'm loving Akira more and more; I finally realized why I partly like him: he's like a carefree/normal/smooth version of L (he was wearing a white sweater and jeans last epi) XD

YES
i totally agree...hes L...
instant <3
Apr 24, 2009 1:36 PM
Dec 2007
So this week, it's "The Cold Blue" and "Dawn of the Dead", two fairly good choices I must admit :)

Apart from the cinema references, the script is starting to get very interesting as the direction is still out of this world. Seriously one of the best if not the best I've seen in an anime, at least in the 2000's, Kamiyama has officially reached the Godlike status for an anime series director (as his name implies :)).

Oh and the end of the detective was great: stabbed by his wife because of a mail directed to her instead of his mistress by his "supporter" (he was probably not helpful or interesting anymore and deserved to die, Noblesse Oblige). So we can finally understand that the basic purpose of Juiz and the Seleçao is to save the demoralized and out of control country of Japan. 10 guys, 10 billion yen each, unlimited support and possibilities and they must find a way to save the country by their owns means. I'd like to play that game too ! Oh and I forgot to mention that killing 20.000 naked NEETS is not a way to save Japan (you only just wipe out 20.000 unneeded citizens but it isn't really a way to restart the economy or change society is it?). It seems fairly fun though ;)

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 24, 2009 1:42 PM

Apr 2007
noteDhero said:

Could be. Looking back on episode two when Saki was talking about Careless Monday to Akira on the train, she mentions how the overall reaction to the attacks was optimistic (or how the subs put it, "giddy") because of whole "no casualties" result. They believed that something like this couldn't happen again if nothing bad happened the last 10 times. That definitely feels like a more positive outlook on the whole situation, if it was indeed the intended result of Careless Monday.

And since the purpose of Selecao appears to be for (to use a bushism here) the embetterment of Japan, it seems to make sense.
Apr 24, 2009 1:43 PM

Sep 2007
Man that was just so awesome and weird at the same time. A bunch more questions pop up but it just makes it even more interesting. I want to know how Akira managed to trick the NEETs to appear at the mall. He probably advertised some lolz anime convention and they just came flocking.

I didn't expect Kondo to die that quickly.
Apr 24, 2009 2:46 PM

Aug 2007
Lol

They were scared shitless.
Apr 24, 2009 3:23 PM

Sep 2008
this is probably my favorite of the season. these unanswered questions leave me sitting on the edge of my seat.

this question has been bugging me since episode 1. what approximately is 10 billion yen and 8.2 billion yen in dollars? seems like a lot.
Apr 24, 2009 3:27 PM

Feb 2009
Wow I love this show. its one of the best i've seen so far!! it really keeps me on the edge of my seat and I like the characters!!! I cant wait to see more. I wish it was more than 11 episodes T_T
Apr 24, 2009 3:30 PM

May 2008
Another excellent episode, I really wish this was longer than eleven episodes ;_;

Well as long as it's eleven episodes this good I suppose I'll be happy.
Apr 24, 2009 3:32 PM

Sep 2008
Another great episode ^^

Apr 24, 2009 3:51 PM
Jan 2009
Jacut said:
So this week, it's "The Cold Blue" and "Dawn of the Dead", two fairly good choices I must admit :)

Also Scarface.
Apr 24, 2009 4:16 PM

Apr 2009
Definitely looks like the top show of the season. Absolutely brilliant.
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Apr 24, 2009 4:44 PM

Sep 2008
i really want to know what happens next
as if it were possibly to earn 10 millions with out doing nothing....
so are the other 10 enemies or alies ? and wath will happen to the girl?
wow akira killed all f the useless people in the town jejej
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Apr 24, 2009 4:46 PM
Dec 2007
Alright, so I was completely wrong with the fact that I didn't think Akira was a terrorist. Kondou even mentioned that he was the most 'dangerous Selecao' member, and the others would be reluctant to help him. It makes me wonder what kind of person Akira was before he lost his memory. I assume he did that purely by himself, without anyone pulling the strings. I'm guessing he's the same person as he is now, except he was more of a person who adored chaos. Who knows? I was right on the mark with the NEETS, though. Akira did certainly round them up, but I kind of thought he was trying to save them. Didn't even cross my mind that he was probably trying to 'save Japan', presumably by getting rid of them. In regards to one of the cryptic messages in the opening I previously mentioned, "You saved our world from the fallen angels / I saw Messiah standing", that could directly reference that incident. Especially when Akira gave the peace sign, standing in front of them all. Can't believe he got rid of them all outside his own home, though. Really unsettling seeing all the left over food from the NEETS, along with all the messages like, 'I'm going to get you; Akira!'.

It makes sense that someone with money to burn and a clear love of movies would buy a cinema. I adored the movie references, too~ Cinema Paradiso! :3 Whenever I think of a projector's room, I now think of Alfredo and Toto lovingly putting films on the reel, and it was a pleasant surprise when Akira referenced it. And Shaun of the Dead, too.

So we finally found out who Selecao are; a group of twelve people (picked randomly?) who've been entrusted with ten billion each to save Japan, and when the money runs out, their 'supporter' must come and kill them. I thought that Kondou might've been Akira's supporter, actually, but then why would he take his phone? We also find out that each phone only works exclusively with the member who owns it~ that's pretty handy. Wasn't expecting Kondou to die, though. The way he died like that, just slumped over in the middle of Kabuki-Chou was rather helpless~ showing the way our society is. People just walking by him is a perfect example of man's inhumanity to man.

The pacing in this episode flowed fluidly~ we were given a lot of information, but not once did it feel like it was being crammed in. I wonder, with nine episodes left, and a movie, will we have time to meet the other ten Selecao members? I'm assuming several might be shown at a time, I'm thinking that's the only way it could work out.
Apr 24, 2009 5:11 PM

Sep 2008
lolNEETS.
Apr 24, 2009 5:19 PM

Aug 2007
Kondo death in public reminded me of some Urban tales, about people dieing on the Subway, trains and on the street, and people just noticing like 8 hours later. Also reminded me some cruel realities from the big cities, where if you get mugged and stabbed, dont expect to see anyone helping you.
Apr 24, 2009 5:45 PM

Nov 2007
Picked this show up this week, really liking where this is going. :3 It's interesting and well paced. Though until this episode it was a lot of staring at the screen going "Huh?" xD;

Alexstratz said:
Juiz must have transferred the SMS since stealing another player's phone, or their money, must be against the rules.

No, I'm pretty sure it was because he hit 0 yen. He had around 7K after he killed the three men, then before he called Juiz after getting Akira's phone he had only 7 Yen left. Juiz probably took that 7 yen for the call and transferred the SMS since, as Kondo said, when you hit 0 the supporter gets rid of the user.
I am mongeesubs. If you can time/typeset and want to help sub Youkai Watch, let me know~
Apr 24, 2009 6:02 PM

Sep 2008
Not a bad episode, I guess we find out a little more about the phone and what those selecao's are. I'm still quite awed with the animation for this series. Definitely looking forward to the next episode.
"It's because you exist.. That I'm here right now.."
Apr 24, 2009 6:10 PM

Jan 2009
Really liked this episode more than #2. It made me jumpy on my seat. What I liked: depiction of the slums. Akira's home. The whole dog scare, knew it that it was a dog (said "Sono Inu inu, yappari" (That dog dog, I knew it). The shopping mall walk with Akira showing all to Morimi, knew it was something he bought with the phone. Asako and Ohsugi along with Morimi's family. The movie and Saki watching it. The whole plot of sponsor comes to kill you after you spend 10 000 000 000 000 yen. The shock, twice
Phone can only be used by one who has fingerprint match. Akira taking detective badge. Akira's bike. The end was best but also sad. Kondo' last words.....what will Akira do with detective phone???
What I did not like:(more than last one)

This was a funny part.

Reference missed by people of American movie "Scar Face" World is Yours.

Reference of Shaun of the death. Someone caught this.

I did not like at all the stabbing and death of Kondo.

Did not like seeing Akira being beat up.

japanme32Apr 24, 2009 6:24 PM
Apr 24, 2009 6:37 PM

Jan 2008
japanme32 said:

You mean "Dawn of the Dead" reference.

Another great episode. I can't believe how fantastic the series is~

I just hope Akira becomes stronger or something.
Apr 24, 2009 6:38 PM

Jul 2008
why would anyone want to kill NEETs? it doesn't make sense, that and buying a mall for a home, or giving twelve guys 10 billion yen each
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Apr 24, 2009 6:40 PM

Sep 2007
japanme32 said:
The whole plot of sponsor comes to kill you after you spend 10 000 000 000 000 yen.

You can't count. 10,000,000,000,000 =/= 10 billion yen

japanme32 said:
-Akira being too slow to realize that Saki wants to see with him the movie

He was too busy getting his ass beaten down by Kondo to go watch the movie with Saki.

japanme32 said:

Shaun of the Dead =/= Dawn of the Dead
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» WHAT THE HELL WAS IN THE TRUCKS?!

Sagepool - Feb 24

7 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Feb 25, 1:19 PM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

grapeofdeath - Jun 18, 2009

432 by OneMoreFinal »»
Oct 21, 2023 4:06 PM

» IS THERE ANY "HARD" EDEN OF THE EAST FANS

hitsugaya111 - Mar 22, 2018

7 by rent-free »»
Jun 16, 2023 9:43 PM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Plate - Apr 9, 2009

404 by prozyne »»
Apr 9, 2023 1:35 AM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Apr 16, 2009

245 by Euroqean »»
Mar 29, 2023 6:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.