Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 27, 2009 7:16 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What a great collaboration! I didn't expect this special to be such a perfect entertainment. The script made the most of the costarring of Lupin and Conan. I loled so much at the last part, where the two competed to solve the mystery.
Mar 28, 2009 3:48 AM

Jun 2008
I hope someone puts up the subs quick. Can't wait to see the two first anime characters I ever saw clash.
Mar 29, 2009 7:37 PM

Nov 2008
This was great fun. It was more of a Conan mystery than a Lupin adventure, but never-the-less Lupin held his own very well.

Now I want to see the Kaitou Kid compete against Lupin! <LOL>
Apr 4, 2009 12:12 AM

Nov 2008
There should be a sub up soon. :)
Apr 15, 2009 2:14 PM

Nov 2007
nihon said:
There should be a sub up soon. :)

Let's keep our fingers crossed then!
Apr 15, 2009 9:35 PM

Apr 2008
Hopefully it will be soon. Really looking forward to it
Apr 25, 2009 11:13 AM

Apr 2008
According to DCTP, they should be getting the subs out sometime by the end of this month. They've been busy with school and other projects.

May 7, 2009 1:38 PM

Jun 2008
Anyone know where I can download a fan sub of this? I just have found the raw.

RtheO
May 7, 2009 3:08 PM

Apr 2008
Sadly it still hasn't been subbed yet. Still waiting
May 7, 2009 3:35 PM

Nov 2008
Region 2 DVD and Japanese Blu-Ray versions have been announced for release in Japan at the end of July this year. I've ordered the Blu-Ray version - I can't wait to re-watch it in high-def on a big screen!

It doesn't appear that there will be English subs on the releases.
May 8, 2009 9:29 AM

Jun 2008
well I have the raw in HD if anyone wants it

RtheO
May 22, 2009 3:18 AM

May 2007
Its subbed now and it was awesome!!!
May 22, 2009 5:24 AM

May 2008
subs fucking where?
May 23, 2009 8:45 AM

Apr 2009
canephalanx said:
subs fucking where?

http://www.animecrazy.net/lupin-iii-vs-detective-conan/

If you're still wondering.
May 23, 2009 2:44 PM

Apr 2008
Gonna watch it tonight, hopefully it's good. Long wait and a long special at that
May 29, 2009 4:04 PM
Apr 2009
The subs fucking sucked. Someone else please sub this!
May 29, 2009 8:20 PM

Apr 2008
I don't expect it to be subbed to well. I watched the first 20 minutes of it but it didn't grab my interest at all. Maybe it's because I'm not big on Conan and am just simply wanting to watch it for Lupin
Jun 17, 2009 1:44 PM

Apr 2008
Aw somebody know wat lupin did to picture of conan to the last part~
Jun 22, 2009 9:16 AM

Nov 2007
I really liked this team up and the little hint at thend that Lupin gives to Conan too. I think they should make more of these collaborations between the two.
Jun 26, 2009 1:32 PM

Nov 2008
It was... okay. I went in with the expectation of there being more "versus" than "coincidentally running into each other and helping each other out".

I mean you have the most renown detective and thief in anime history in the same movie and you make it a very transparent murder mystery case with a side of planning to steal a valuable item.

Sorry, but I wanted to see the two clever minds try to outwit each other and a mixture of tasteful plot twists as Conan tries to bring Lupin to justice while Lupin does what he does best: get away in style.

But no. That would have been too fun and exciting, so they just went with a cheesy, cliche plot and out of character scenes.

Sorry, but you'll have to forgive my cynicism. I've been looking forward to an epic battle of wits between these two since I first heard the movie was coming out.
Jun 27, 2009 9:29 PM

Feb 2009
Bah never watched nor like Lupin the Third I am a real fan of Arsène Lupin and this one make an mockery of the gentleman thief which piss me off.
Anyway Conan is too much in this the stunt he pulls man this episodes is awesome! (even though the whole Lupin things kinda suck)
Aug 2, 2009 2:44 AM

Jul 2008
Nick4x said:
It was... okay. I went in with the expectation of there being more "versus" than "coincidentally running into each other and helping each other out".

I have to totally agree with this. I would've even been happy with "Lupin gets framed for murder and Conan has to find out the real murderer". But instead Lupin vs Conan plays out more as a mediocre modern royal drama, which happens to feature some famous characters or something. Seriously, adding Conan and Lupin's screen time together only accounts for about 1/2 the movie and unfortunately, the half with more plot.

I think that ultimately, almost anybody with a decent familiarity with both franchises could come up with a half dozen better premises and, no matter how hard they did or didn't try, this movie couldn't have possibly been good with it's premise.
Oct 11, 2009 11:29 AM
Apr 2008
This was great, I hope they make another special with Lupin :)
Nov 19, 2009 1:08 PM

Apr 2007
I thought it was a really fun movie. Oddly enough I was in the mood for some Lupin and Conan so it's a good thing I saved it for now lol. I was kind of expecting more of a 'vs' thing as well, but this was a great way to introduce the two groups. Now if only they made a sequel with Conan chasing Lupin then that would be awesome ;)

dtshyk said:
I loled so much at the last part, where the two competed to solve the mystery.
Me too, that was one of the best parts XD
MonochromeNov 19, 2009 1:11 PM
Mar 8, 2010 1:28 PM

Aug 2008
Monochrome said:
I thought it was a really fun movie. Oddly enough I was in the mood for some Lupin and Conan so it's a good thing I saved it for now lol. I was kind of expecting more of a 'vs' thing as well, but this was a great way to introduce the two groups. Now if only they made a sequel with Conan chasing Lupin then that would be awesome ;)

This was a super movie! Two great anime legends! I also love how big a role Fujiko had! ;) Ran and Princess Mira switching places was fun to see.

Btw, I like your last idea. But, you know what that would mean...Conan would have to work more together with Zenigata rather than with Kogoro. hehe
May 4, 2010 7:05 PM

Jun 2008
dbaranyi said:
This was great fun. It was more of a Conan mystery than a Lupin adventure, but never-the-less Lupin held his own very well.

Now I want to see the Kaitou Kid compete against Lupin! <LOL>

agreed, I was a tad disappointed by this but then again I suppose Lupin hasn't garnished nearly 600 episodes like Detective Conan has so marketing wise it'd make sense to make Conan characters take the main stage

though I do think that in pairing the two casts that Lupin characters would play the "in the shadows" role better

it worked anyway

RtheO
May 14, 2010 11:47 AM
Oct 2009
this special is proof that no amount of awesome legendary characters can save a god awful plot

Smile, Sweet, Sister, Sadistic, Surprise, Service, Slider
Jun 2, 2010 4:29 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
lol this was rly awesome.. but Lupin is more made out.. i mean sword man that cutted throught walls llike that -_- ... conan wouldnt have an chance... BUt still it was awesome i think il be watching Lupin series also
Oct 16, 2010 6:43 AM

Jun 2009
I watched the series when I was like 8-10y/o so I guess enjoying most of the movie doesn't help but score it just 7/10. Though a lot of funny moments happen and a grand reunion for both parties. Nice slap for Lupin
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Oct 24, 2010 7:29 PM

Feb 2009
I wonder how does Lupin found that Conan is Shinichi? I mean if they can find out so is the Black Organization.
Aug 2, 2011 7:25 AM

Jul 2011
The movie was great and hilarious!!!
though I was wondering why the princess looked exactly like Ran!!
Jan 16, 2012 1:13 AM

Sep 2008
I probably would have liked it if I watched Conan; I thought he was like supposed to transform into the big, better looking guy...

Fujiko made the special worth watching by herself although it was only about two scenes. The first being the elevator clothing change. I just love how she pushes her breasts together when she snugly fits into her biker outfit. The second was after her shower. Fujiko sleeping in the nude never gets old.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 23, 2012 1:14 PM

Jun 2010
Astounding dull for something with Lupin's name on it. Giving Ran lots of screentime is never a good idea.
Nov 26, 2012 9:47 AM

May 2012
MaxCrazy7 said:
Bah never watched nor like Lupin the Third I am a real fan of Arsène Lupin and this one make an mockery of the gentleman thief which piss me off.
Anyway Conan is too much in this the stunt he pulls man this episodes is awesome! (even though the whole Lupin things kinda suck)

Lol, Lupin the 3rd is basically for remembering Arsene Lupin, dont hate it man..
Anyway this was quite fun to watch, dont mind rewatching it someday soon.
Nov 26, 2012 9:55 AM

May 2012
shadowcat2323 said:
Nick4x said:

I have to totally agree with this. I would've even been happy with "Lupin gets framed for murder and Conan has to find out the real murderer". But instead Lupin vs Conan plays out more as a mediocre modern royal drama, which happens to feature some famous characters or something. Seriously, adding Conan and Lupin's screen time together only accounts for about 1/2 the movie and unfortunately, the half with more plot.

I think that ultimately, almost anybody with a decent familiarity with both franchises could come up with a half dozen better premises and, no matter how hard they did or didn't try, this movie couldn't have possibly been good with it's premise.

While I agree with this, I have to say that this wasn't half bad movie at all. I would have myself made Conan the "middle" art stage version for the movie to be extremely hardcore and the old school Lupin. Although Lupin WAS presented fine in this, the settings are not working that well.
Jun 22, 2013 1:29 AM

Oct 2012
nice.... that lupin was pretty interesting person. though i still prefer kaito kid rather than him. um anyways it's good but compared to conan movies it's rather inferior. nice show 7/10

Aug 9, 2013 5:11 PM

Apr 2013
I finally got along to watch this and it was pretty cool.It had a lot of funny moments and was pretty enjoyable.For me it was also a change since I never watched Lupin to see new and interesting characters alongside the cast of Detective Conan.
I have to say though that compared to the usual Conan cases this was rather a really mediocre one.The idea of Ran and a princess switching places was not bad but everything concerning the case was not well done.neither was the crime done in an interesting way (tricks etc) nor was it even explained in great way,you can see the case wasn't their focus on this special.
still I appreciated it. 7/10
Aug 28, 2013 4:12 PM

Jul 2012
Plot wasn't the best, but I enjoyed the funny moments and the crossover between two characters - the meitantei and the thief. Honestly speaking though, the case was really boring in general and had no suspense to it. The plot direction was bad because there was no climax or twist to it. It was evident from the start (or near it) that the antagonist would be someone in the royal palace.

But I'm pretty generous because I'm still a Conan fan, so 7/10

Hoping the movie coming out soon will be better!
Aug 30, 2013 7:52 PM

Apr 2012
I liked that special of two anime legendaries very much. Sure the plot was flat, I agree on this but the special entertained me from the first minute to the end.

I really look forward to the new movie and hope it will entertain me also like that ^^
Jan 4, 2014 2:31 AM

Aug 2013
At the very end of the episode, it is never explained how Lupin and his group know who Conan really is (Shinichi Kudo). According to a Wikipedia article (listed below): "through some means discover Conan's true identity". This is still very vague and doesn't really explain how they discovered him. I am extremely curious to this matter and would like to know if anyone has additional information on the subject.

Wikipedia article in question: http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/List_of_characters_who_know_Conan%27s_identity#Lupin_III_Cast
Sep 21, 2014 8:40 PM

Jun 2008
I loved it. It's not like I expected it to have much of a mystery. It was just pure fun. We get enough mysteries in the real show so I'm fine with having something silly like this :)
Sep 27, 2014 6:26 PM

Dec 2008
I really want to hate Fujiko, but I can never bring myself to do so because even though she is extremely selfish and greedy in her own right...she's never left Lupin III hanging.

I love Lupin III, though! He's the smartest and best thief EVER!
Sep 28, 2014 1:55 PM

Feb 2011
I wonder what did Lupin do with Conan's picture at the end.
Jul 8, 2015 10:43 PM

Nov 2014
Cool crossover!

Oct 18, 2015 6:02 AM

Nov 2011
Conan×Jigen

TOTALLY NEED MORE OF THIS
Nov 13, 2015 2:16 AM

Jul 2008
The plot itself could have been better, but this totally worked. Lupin playing the part of the sleeping Kogorou was perfect.

However what this needed more of was actually Conan vs Lupin, some sort of battle of wits between them. Maybe that's what the movie will be.
Jul 30, 2016 5:09 AM

Feb 2010
Just watched this today (watched the movie already) and it was just as epic :D epic plot

Desktop Specs: CPU: AMD FX-4130 Quad Core @ 3.8GHz, Motherboard: ASRock N68-VS3 FX, GPU: 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti SC (EVGA), Ram: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 535MHz, Case: Raidmax ATX (Black), Storage: 931GB Western Digital Blue (SATA), PSU: 550 watt, Display: BenQ RL2455
Jan 19, 2017 8:04 PM

Jan 2012
Well, that was certainly fun. Definitely felt like a Detective Conan story that just happened to guest star the Lupin cast, which I guess it was. Lupin even seemed to kinda acknowledge it in a humorous fourth wall break regarding his lack of "adult" scenes. Though at least they still managed to fit this in:

I looked it up and Fujiko and Zenigata were still being voiced by their primary/original voices in this. Probably explains why they sounded so tired, Zenigata especially. I couldn't believe it was the original actor, he sounded nothing like his Part II Zenigata, but then this did come out around 30 years later. He would have been around 79 years old when he recorded this and has since passed so I guess it makes sense. This was probably the last time he voiced him. Ditto Fujiko's actress. On the Conan side of voice acting we're running out of time with Kogoro's original actor, but more on that when we reach his actual final performance as the character.

Odd place to start a review I know, but it jumped out at me. Anyway yeah, fun as I said. Bit of a Prince and the Pauper story with the two Rans. Felt a bit jarring seeing an incredibly obnoxious/bratty version of Ran in Mira. I swear, Conan becomes some kinda unstoppable gremlin when it comes to protecting Ran, which is sweet...mostly. Grabbing the wheel of the plane all I could think of was that Twilight Zone episode. :D

The mystery itself wasn't much to speak of, but the ways certain characters played off each other were enjoyable. Lupin disguised as Kogoro and mixing his imput with Conan's deduction was fun for instance. Ditto the scene comparing Lupin and Jigen's relationship with Conan and Kogoro's...even if the comparison's truthfulness is up for debate. :D And who knew Inspector Megure knew Zenigata? :P Not sure how Lupin happened to know Conan's true identity by the end. Felt like they just inserted that to have him get one over on Conan, but maybe I missed something.

I enjoyed seeing badass Kogoro in the beginning and doting father Kogoro when reuniting with Ran. Ran's daydream of marrying Shinichi was adorable too. It occurs to me that this was a vs. special but never really felt like Lupin and Conan were fighting each other. Closest it came was his chase with Fujiko but even that wasn't much. Goemon was also very much an afterthought in this, not that I mind, him being my least favorite Lupin regular anyway. And he actually appeared, unlike Haibara or the Detective Boys, whose absence I didn't really mind either. :D I wonder if the theatrical film will be more of an actual vs. story than this was when I get to it, but we'll see eventually. So uh, yeah...8/10. Here's all the other random caps I took:
Apr 19, 2018 12:40 PM
Jan 2016
The plot wasn't all that great, but it was a fun ride.
I loved seeing the interactions between characters from 2 series that I love.
Especially the conan x jigen moments.

Though I must say, there was one thing I could not let pass: that part at the end where lupin and the gang know about conan being shinichi kudo just doesn't make sense, it wasn't even explained simply because it couldn't be.
They could have even passed the last part without us noticing how conan would going back, so it's not the only way for him to return (albeit it was a more interesting way), my guess is it is something that lupin and the gang need to know for the movie, yet they had no way of letting them know.
KendotsApr 19, 2018 12:47 PM
Jan 14, 2019 6:16 PM

Nov 2017
I loved absolutely everything about this!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Theory: Mira is Lupin's daughter

AnimeObasan - Feb 28, 2014

3 by lpf »»
Jul 5, 2014 1:46 PM

» Subtitles

Drew013 - Jun 29, 2009

1 by Mayuka »»
Aug 28, 2013 4:14 PM

» worlds greatest [ detective VS thief ]

Schabrak - Mar 9, 2009

3 by dbaranyi »»
Mar 27, 2009 6:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.