Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 31, 2021 7:02 PM

Jul 2016
bakayaroconoyaro said:
SouthRzVa said:
As for Alice, the poor girl sure was about to have a mindbreak moment with such bizarre visit from Lain. That part and the following sequence at the school gates were kinda confusing tho. I mean, didn't Lain already reset everyone's memories a few episodes ago?... Unless it was some sort of flashback from Alice's POV, perhaps?

I think you're referring to the end of episode 8 but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure that entire sequence was Lain's hallucination. I'll include a wordy recap in case you don't remember what happened:

I'm pretty sure that scene was just Lain's mind playing tricks on her and showing her something she feared, which was the idea that there was more than one of her and that she's not entirely in control of the other Lains. She wanted to believe that she had successfully erased her friends' memories and that they had forgiven her, but in reality, she was just hallucinating. I hope that helps clear it up a little, sorry it was long.

Yes, I was referring to that same scene and though I already have the series downloaded, I truly appreciate the effort you put into that brief recap.

And yeah, I guess it makes sense if it was just Lain playing tricks on herself and didn't actually use the option of resetting people's memories until this episode. Sorry, for some reason I decided to watch this series at 3 am so I guess some details simply went over my head lol.
Apr 4, 2021 1:01 AM

Jun 2020
Hmmm... So what was the first half? A new way to recap the series up till now?
Jul 18, 2021 11:29 AM
Apr 2018
I'm still not buying that lain was made by that painted guy, even though so much about her family's circumstances can be explained by that.
Assuming that lain was really manufactured and her family was a lie, her sister seemed normal. What happened to the prophecy and her sister? Was she in it like the father and mother?
Aug 21, 2021 8:10 PM

Aug 2018
Im still super confused.

so, Lain can change the past now, huh?

Oct 12, 2021 7:02 AM

Aug 2020
So basically a recap episode with an upbeat guitar riff, huh.

When Lain went popped out of Alice's door and talked to her, for some reason, it reminded me of Freddy Krueger (the attire). I guess it was referring to the alien that we saw in the previous episode.

I kinda understand; I kinda don't. At this point, which Lain are we following? It seems like we are following the original Lain, but didn't she get removed by evil Lain?

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Jan 12, 2022 9:10 AM
Nov 2020
I'm glad Lain does the same thing as Evangelion where only the first half of the "recap episode" is actually recap. Plus, it makes sense in the context of the story since of course Lain would be looking back over the events of her life, now knowing all of it was fake, intentionally set up for her physical body.
Mar 6, 2022 9:57 AM

Dec 2021
Just noticed the Apple reference. Probably best """"recap episode"""" possible
Mar 17, 2022 8:45 PM

Jan 2021
if the border between wired and real world is gone now then it means, its the same world now.. damn then it means lain is like the most powerful person in that world now.. like this episode she literally undo something that it seems like it never happened.. (not really undo but like manipulated them except arisu)

now i wonder what arisu would do.
Mar 22, 2022 10:34 AM

Jan 2022
jazz music during that recap was great, and I guess lain can just undo stuff now?

two episodes to go
Mar 30, 2022 12:03 AM

Feb 2021
First half was unnecessary but the second half was again confusing. The only thing that I understood was that Lain is a software.
Apr 17, 2022 9:53 AM

Dec 2021
Maxtronex said:
First half was unnecessary but the second half was again confusing. The only thing that I understood was that Lain is a software.

Consider back then they watched it weekly so it wasn't completely unnecessary, it is today that we can watch it in a matter of days
Jul 31, 2022 11:26 AM

Aug 2021
Interesting episode for a refresh after so many things happened, so it wasn't as confusing as I thought, if it were better directed, I'm sure the content and the summary in this episode will be much clearer and consistent. 2 more to go.
Aug 14, 2022 2:39 PM

Jun 2020
SO CLOSE TO THE END IT IS AMAZING
Aug 31, 2022 6:13 PM
Jul 2013
I love how after going through all of this and obtaining the power to change past/memories, Lain decides to use it for something as insignificant as rumours about Alice. Just goes to show she's still just a schoolgirl, at least in her real world form.
Sep 9, 2022 3:45 AM
Aug 2021
fdgdrfhfggjfffg
Sep 12, 2022 8:46 PM

Oct 2019
Wow, like ppl said, a recap. A 10 fuckin min recap. At least i liked the music with the recap but having watched this for the past week, i didnt need a fuckin recap. I need answers.
Also, really thought we'd see alien again and not lain. Like the alien idea ppl had about her alienation but dont see the connection to the alien and Roswell unless alien magic helped make the Wired.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Sep 20, 2022 6:01 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
The first half of the episode was the most disturbing pseudo recap I've ever seen. THe latter half was simply as weird as the anime is at this point.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Oct 6, 2022 1:22 AM
May 2021
Crazy on so many levels. I can't wait to see what else will happen now that both worlds connected.
Oct 8, 2022 3:03 PM
Oct 2022
about to fall asleep before it got interesting-- but then it hit me. I genuinely don't find this genre all that interesting. Though this one was the exception. I liked it a lot
Nov 9, 2022 5:11 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Well thanks for a recap I guess.

At least it's still better than the last two episodes of evangelion

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 17, 2022 9:08 PM
Apr 2021
half the episode was a music video, and I still don't understand shit
Jan 6, 2023 6:57 AM
Oct 2015
Lycan said:
I'm guessing the flashback acted as both a refresher and to show how much Lain has been dwelling on her own thoughts as she downloaded her NAVIs to her brain. I didn't mind it as much because we have learned much more about Lain than in the beginning, so seeing the past knowing these facts brings a different perspective. (Also, it wasn't the WHOLE episode -- we still learn how much Lain really cares for Alice.) I suppose she wanted to at least do that before the boarder between the Wired and real world are completely brought down.
Thought the same here
Jan 7, 2023 7:40 AM
Jul 2022
Wow. An episode of a show that is part recap, part 'plot' progression. The episode +10 minute long walk down memory Lain ;) was somewhat helpful in remembering certain moments from the series, as I imagined around its release time a lot would likely be forgotten or missed by viewers watching episodes weeks apart, especially with everything SEL introduces and develops. The recap didn't help to fit the pieces together; at least not for me; but may have made you go 'Ahhh' here and there, or 'I get it now' (no you don't) or just caused you to speculate about past events. As the episode continued, it feels like for once the goal is coming into view, that being Lain having to choose between living in the real world or in the world of the Wired. I personally don't like or think much of Lain as a protagonist if I haven't been clear about that before. I know we should feel sympathy or empathy for her and such, but she's just pLain ;). Nothing in this episode made me realize this, rather I just realized it whilst typing this. Also, I'm personally confused about the situation and such with Alice and co, as I thought they were fake the entire time, but I guess not.
Jan 12, 2023 5:10 PM

Jul 2021
This is kinda starting to make sense now
How can you keep moving forward if you keep regretting the past?

Jan 16, 2023 10:12 AM

Aug 2019
i remembered lain to be confusing but its way more confusing than i remember im so lost
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2023 5:24 PM

Mar 2010
I felt like I was on some heavy heavy drugs, my nga but damn This is prolly the only episode in all of anime you can rewatch over and over and it will always feel cracked and spinning. To think it has forced my third eye to open.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Feb 26, 2023 3:47 PM

Jun 2014
I did really like the recap sequence. It felt like we were taking a peek into Lain's mind, frantically flashing from one memory to the next as she processed everything. And from a pure audience perspective, it scratched a good itch in my brain. Recaps are usually boring for me, lol.
Mar 16, 2023 5:50 PM

Apr 2016
Man i'm gunna have to take some adderall to get through this show xD
Mar 26, 2023 12:06 AM
May 2022
I have no clue what is going on I thought I was starting to understand
Apr 30, 2023 11:58 AM

Feb 2017
^^^^ damn bro me too. things seemed to be making sense but then i came to read the comments in this episode thread and it feels like there's TONS of things that i'm missing or that are going completely over my head. seems that i'm back at square one re: not understanding anything that's going on

placeholder text
May 16, 2023 8:32 AM
Jun 2021
"Lain, você sorriu.."
May 16, 2023 8:33 AM
Jun 2021
"Lain, você sorriu.."
May 20, 2023 2:46 AM

Aug 2022
And everything is back to being confusing.
Jun 17, 2023 9:02 PM

May 2023
She smiled...... it's over, she won. Pack it up, give up everyone else has lost.
Jul 25, 2023 12:37 AM

Dec 2009
Thoughts upon Rewatch:
Jul 27, 2023 3:22 AM

Jul 2014
Its not even smart at this point. I legit had to go read an explanation for this, since everything is random at this point lol

10 mins of actual recap then the last part , I think I understood a lil bit then we’re back to the schizo moments
Oct 22, 2023 3:20 PM

May 2019
so cryptic and edgy

Dec 26, 2023 2:21 PM

Feb 2022
these edibles ain't shit
                                                    slice of life anime, my beloved.

2D>>>>>>
Feb 24, 6:39 PM

Dec 2022
very abstract kind of sick groove on that recap
Mar 20, 1:43 AM
Mar 2024
Half of that was stock footage :(
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Will this come over to crunchyroll?

Rockyjams909 - May 7

15 by tsukor »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

StabbyPWNS - Oct 11, 2008

293 by M00ndust »»
May 8, 10:23 PM

» How do you feel about Serial Experiments Lain?

Je-suis-lui - May 1

7 by 14see12 »»
May 1, 12:44 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nini - Dec 30, 2008

372 by mrnmbl »»
Apr 16, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cureroyale - Jan 27, 2009

123 by mrnmbl »»
Apr 16, 3:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.