Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: Second Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]
Apr 11, 2022 10:38 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Just before watching the 4th and last episode of Shinobu Time, I just wanna say that I'm pretty excited for this one. Why? It's got the most replies in its episode discussion thread besides the first and last episodes which typically have the most. Anyway, here we go, expecting some good shit.

After watching the episode: Damn. No wonder Mayoi is at the forefront of the key visual.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Apr 30, 2022 11:05 PM

Feb 2019
Gaen is really attractive. I hope to see more of her.

Looking forward to the Hitagi End arc. Hitagi is Senjougahara right? It's been a while~ we need more Senjougahara
May 6, 2022 6:55 AM

Jan 2015
I have not felt this sad over a piece of media since early 2016.
Feels so defeating, so heavy, so upsetting. I should have been more ready but how things from Bakemonogatari are coming here with such heavy impact is really incredible. Spent a lot of this episode crying, everything was so impactful. Genuinely said something like, "oh god, why?" while watching, no exaggerating. Was some proper crying too, not only some tears, lots of them, not only my eyes were dripping, my nose as well. Come credits I had to get off my chair somewhat so I could put my face in my bed so I didn't cry heaps loud. Mouth was even going off as well as my nose though so I couldn't really stick to pushing my face into my bed as much as I should.
Hachikuji is my favourite character in the series (even made her my lockscreen on my laptop before this), I wasn't expecting this arc to really be focused on her. Clever subversion of expectations. Music, directing, voice acting, all really sold how impactful this decision was. Araragi's words on how he'll stay lost on some unknown mountain with Hachikuji so she is able to remain, so heavy, I can't even type about it without bursting back into crying. Hachikuji's, "I stuttered," for the last time, really great finale for the iconic bit, I feel like I might have some struggles coming back to previous arcs hearing her say it.
Araragi still, after her passing, wondering what he could have done differently to keep her around, which, well, of course he is.
I got some serious bad vibes from sleeves girl at the end, when she was implying her task, I was standing in disbelief/shock from how this suggested she has something to do with the correcting stage of aberrations. Really significant threat, but, thinking on it, I don't believe it has anyone else it has to correct.
Overall thoughts, really sad, powerful episode. This season has been continuing to amaze me, well surpassing my expectations set by Bakemonogatari. Every arc here has been something really, really special. Monogatari is both one of my favourites as well as one of the best anime I've seen. Goodbye best girl, I hope we see plenty more of you in arcs taking place earlier.
Jul 19, 2022 3:42 PM

Mar 2009
Пожалуй самая мощная на мой взгляд серия в гатариях на данный момент
Jul 21, 2022 10:32 AM

Sep 2018
Masterpiece .. easily the best episode of the series so far .. sayonara best girl ;(
Aug 20, 2022 11:38 PM
Oct 2020
Maaaayoiiii! TT TT TT Damn that hit hard and fast! I was so worried about Shinobu that I didn't see the Mayoi thing coming with the darkness. Not sure if there was any way to predict it from past events, until when she was identified as a suspect in neglecting her duties that was a clue. I'm with Koyomi on his solution- just keep being lost with the her until he figures something else out. But I guess that was part of the shift with this episode. He's always been able to figure something out in the past- riding away on the bicycle to escape the darkness, blasting away to a remote location with the help of Ononoki. But this time Araragi was out of options. He had to be reminded that staying lost with Mayoi meant leaving Senjougahara, Hanekawa, and basically everyone else behind. I think I was fine until that kiss. That just opened the flood gates. What a great episode. Right up there with Senjoughara's This Starry Sky scene (although that one is still the absolute best of the series so far imo).
Sep 30, 2022 6:41 AM
Apr 2022
I loved this episode. Hachikuji's gone is very sad, but important to Araragi and I'm curious about what is going to happen after it
Oct 3, 2022 10:31 AM

Nov 2021
that was a decent arc though the previous ones were amazing, that emotional melodrama at the end doesn't work on me yet it was engaging enough to binge watch 3 episodes.
Jan 9, 2023 8:27 AM
Jan 2022
10/10 like always
Jan 9, 2023 8:27 AM
Jan 2022
10/10 like always
Jan 28, 2023 1:43 PM

Jan 2021
They can’t do this to me man it’s not fair, This was so sad you really hate to see it I guess this is goodbye Hachikuji .
Jul 26, 2023 4:17 PM

Feb 2021
Goodbye Mayoi ;-;
Oct 26, 2023 7:42 AM
Jul 2018
I sure am glad that Shinobu is actually safe, but to see that Hachikuji isn't. Man, what an emotional episode this was... farewell... Hachikuji Mayoi, the Lost Cow...
Dec 15, 2023 2:28 AM

Nov 2023
What an arc this one was, man. Gahhdamn.
Jan 25, 9:30 PM

May 2021
Noooo, our favourite ghost girl is gone. RIP. I didn't think any moment was gonna top Sengoku becoming a goddess but here we are.

And thus begins the war against Ougi. Sengoku seems nothing more than a pawn now.

Jan 26, 3:16 AM

Mar 2020
Hachikuji.... ;-; At least she went out somewhat happy.

ending aside, this arc is honestly pretty mediocre. Kind of funny how the arc with Mayoi's name in it focused on Shinobu and vice versa. Other than that it kind of just felt like a way to kill off Hachikuji and introduce Gaen.

Ougi is still spooky and mysterious. Between the ending where she compares herself to the darkness taking out people who lie and her manipulating Nadeko last arc she probably has it out for Araragi for some reason. I wonder what he did.
EpiccgaymerJan 26, 3:21 AM

Mar 9, 12:43 AM

Mar 2022
I was gonna type stuff out but the person above me said everything I was gonna say lmfao.(still gon do it tho)
Yeah its dumb how the arc name is Shinobu but barley did stuff about her showed more of her backstory tho thats cool
Ougi is a cool character I know she eventually has a arc so im a little hyped for that
Mar 16, 5:05 AM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Well well well, this arc went places I certainly wasn’t expecting, and I guess once again the arc ended up being more about a different character than you originally thought too lol, just like the time travel one. So Miss Gaen appeared once again and explained everything because, well, she knows everything lol, and I’ll say the presence of characters like this gives me an idea of what Monogatari as a whole could be about but that’s something I’ll hold onto so I don’t sound like a dumbass if I’m wrong lol. And essentially this “darkness” or more like “anti-existence” is not after Shinobu, but actually Hachikuji, and it’s because she’s been “lying” the whole time and shouldn’t be allowed to exist since she’s supposed to have went to the afterlife already, shit’s fucked yo lol.

And of course this lead to a heartfelt final talk between Hachikuji and Araragi, and paired with the music I did find it upsetting, like all the sudden we’re losing a beloved character out of nowhere (assuming she never comes back), I really liked this scene and ending it with a kiss means Araragi officially rizzed up all the lolis in the show lol, but this kiss of course felt different than the other two giving the meaning behind it, and just like that we’re in the future and Hachikuji is gone, even if it’s just for now I will miss her a lot, I was a big fan of her character. And after hearing all this from Araragi, Ougi said something really sus that lines up with that “anti-existence” and Araragi is apparently aware of Ougi not being as she seems, I’m glad because it’s been very clear for a while lol, so maybe it won’t be long until she becomes the villain, and it is an interesting plan to only tell her about Hachikuji leaving and not anyone else, I’m interested in what the results could be from this.

But with that, this “Shinobu Time” arc is over, it wasn’t very lengthy but I did enjoy it quite a bit with all the lore dropped about Shinobu and how things got a lot more serious once we learned what the darkness really was. It ended up taking a real one from us too which I wasn’t expecting when it started, and also gave us more on the mysterious Gaen and even dropped that she’s related to Kanbaru, I do wonder what the mission Araragi did for her was but perhaps we’ll never know, or maybe we will idk lol, it’s Monogatari after all. And although the crunch version did not have this arc’s OP, after hearing it when I was getting screenshots afterward I did really like it, it’s a very unique one. And with that we move on to the final arc of Second Season, I need to try and plow through it because I’ve been watching this since January and that’s too damn long lol.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 6, 2013

432 by Kiikani »»
Apr 25, 11:39 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2013

101 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 16, 7:01 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Amarrez - Dec 28, 2013

723 by Yubisoft »»
Apr 16, 2:04 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2013

245 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 12, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2013

204 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 11, 8:08 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.