Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 30, 2013 6:19 PM

Oct 2013
I mean.. when I finish a series with awesome characters I've grown reaaally attached to I get really sad about parting with them when I realise they're not real and I'm not going to be able to share in their adventures anymore. And I just stay depressed and feel 'empty' for days, sometimes weeks.

Its not even just post anime.. I sometimes get it in the middle of a series, when I suddenly remember that its all fiction. I really wish life was as exciting as anime, maybe my own life is too boring, all I do is go to college, get the train home, then watch anime and draw for hours. Maybe I watch too much. But yeah. I was just wondering if this is common or not?

p.s. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, I'm noobish to this site.

Oct 30, 2013 6:19 PM

Jan 2008
Considering we got plenty of threads like this on MAL, I'd say it's common enough.
Oct 30, 2013 6:21 PM

Sep 2012
No, it's not common. You should go see a doctor for help.
Oct 30, 2013 6:22 PM

Jul 2013
College sucks!! IKR?? I get that kind of feeling too but not for long..hours I guess.. not days or weeks..thats too much.
Oct 30, 2013 6:22 PM
Mar 2013
If one of your favorite series is ending, I think it's only naturally to feel down about it. There is only one cure: keep watching more anime. Eventually that feeling will go away until you find another anime you get depressed over. And then the cycle repeats itself...
Oct 30, 2013 6:31 PM

Oct 2013
PrimeX - Yes it does suck.

your right emeraldrosary.. should just keep watching as i am, its not like i would ever give it up xD

Oct 30, 2013 6:32 PM

Aug 2008
It is not uncommon in the least. Anime, or animation, is a medium of art. Like all other mediums, it should be able to affect you in some way and an emotional response (whether intentional or solicited by one's own experience) is perhaps the most common example as such.

My recommendation is to not focus so much on the fictional element, but how the author(s) is using his or her own work to project a probable vision of reality that can relate to your life or the life of others within your immediate world.

What you are describing is the result of both the anime's presentation of the world, and your preconceptions of it reacting. In a sense, these anime are exciting your depression.

Depression is not always a negative experience; it can materialize (as it often does) as a period of solitude and stimulated intellectual activity. You might find it advantageous to use this time to explore ideas of authors such as Inio Asano, Shuuzou Oshimi, and Albert Camus (See The Stranger), among others (ask for more).

Take note that this is largely based on my own experience, but I intend to lend whatever I can offer.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Oct 30, 2013 6:40 PM

Oct 2013
Deserada said:
It is not uncommon in the least. Anime, or animation, is a medium of art. Like all other mediums, it should be able to affect you in some way and an emotional response (whether intentional or solicited by one's own experience) is perhaps the most common example as such.

My recommendation is to not focus so much on the fictional element, but how the author(s) is using his or her own work to project a probable vision of reality that can relate to your life or the life of others within your immediate world.

What you are describing is the result of both the anime's presentation of the world, and your preconceptions of it reacting. In a sense, these anime are exciting your depression.

Depression is not always a negative experience; it can materialize (as it often does) as a period of solitude and stimulated intellectual activity. You might find it advantageous to use this time to explore ideas of authors such as Inio Asano, Shuuzou Oshimi, and Albert Camus (See The Stranger), among others (ask for more).

Take note that this is largely based on my own experience, but I intend to lend whatever I can offer.

That's a great response, makes perfect sense. Thanks for the recommendations I'll check them out.

Oct 30, 2013 6:40 PM

Aug 2012
Escapism.

Not rare at all.
Oct 30, 2013 6:41 PM

Sep 2012
Seeing as there's like 14 variations of this exact thread, sure, I'd say it's pretty common.
Oct 30, 2013 6:41 PM

Apr 2013
No it's not common at all. Check yourself into a hospital immediately.
an egomaniac and a fool

Oct 30, 2013 6:42 PM

Jun 2012
About as common as the people who will reply to this saying it's uncommon.
получить деньги моего друга
Oct 30, 2013 6:43 PM

Sep 2013
Not common... you know because friends and real life stuff that is more fun than watching anime.
There's no need for all this tension.
Oct 30, 2013 6:44 PM

Sep 2013
MellowJello said:
Escapism.

Not rare at all.

How is being emotionally attached to a character considered escapism?

Yes, I feel a bit sad when one of my favourite series ends, but I also realize that it's a fictional story solely created to evoke emotions from the viewer.
Oct 30, 2013 6:46 PM

Sep 2013
Of course its natural to feel a little down after you finish a series you had been watching. Especially if you watched it while it was airing because when watching it week after week you get to spazz about it with others in the fandom. But getting actual symptoms of depression after finishing something isn't necessarily a good thing... As to whether its common or not I wouldn't know but if it is I hope its not all to that degree O_O
Oct 30, 2013 6:50 PM

Jun 2012
Watch more anime, it will stop happening after a while.
Oct 30, 2013 6:52 PM

Aug 2008
Chronostasis said:
MellowJello said:
Escapism.

Not rare at all.

How is being emotionally attached to a character considered escapism?

Yes, I feel a bit sad when one of my favourite series ends, but I also realize that it's a fictional story solely created to evoke emotions from the viewer.
It could be escapism for someone else, but what Loli_Sensei is describing is distinctly different, more along the lines of an existential crisis.

Further than your realization, Chronostasis, OP has questioned the core purpose and values of their life. This is paramount in considering a response, as mine has accounted for.

If OP were simply indulging in escapism there would likely be no will to question their state of being and thus no motivation to create a thread with such a question. Escapism, in our age, is a practice of vanity that has been socially conditioned on much of the world's population (at least those subject to advertisements and other similar manifestations) as acceptable and expected.
DeseradaOct 30, 2013 6:57 PM
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Oct 30, 2013 7:14 PM
Oct 2013
I know exactly how you feel, and I've been down that road plenty of times. It really isn't rare at all. But hey, if you are feeling down still, find some recommendations of the anime you finished and cheer yourself up! If you're still down, give the series a re-watch. Hope the advice helped!
Oct 30, 2013 7:17 PM

Oct 2013
Its not escapism.. Its not like I deliberately watch anime to escape from reality, its more like when I watch anime I seem to unconsciously compare my life to the characters and worlds in them. Which therefore makes me feel depressed as I realise how much my existence sucks in comparison to fiction..
My solution.. Watch anime until the day I die! xD Thanks for your posts Deserada they really helped

Oct 30, 2013 7:20 PM

Aug 2013
Do I feel...empty? Like a void? Yes.
Depressed? No. Not in the slightest.
As much as I love anime, I'm not going to let some visual medium change my life. Perhaps I'll let it give me some...new perspective or new things to think about, but to go so far to make me depressed for weeks? No.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Oct 30, 2013 10:32 PM

Jun 2011
You are not alone.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 31, 2013 6:14 AM

Oct 2013
I guess it's rare for some people to actually admit it but personally, I think it IS pretty common. Though your condition is alarming--my maximum post-anime depression usually just lasts for a day or two, lol. Don't worry about it. You'll be fine.
One does not simply hate boobies.
Oct 31, 2013 6:20 AM

Oct 2013
I have a certain kind of envy for those who can be so immersed.

Personally though, it's pretty obvious to me that I'm watching fictional shit on a TV at all times.
Railroad switch
Nov 2, 2013 8:08 PM
Oct 2013
i nkow your pain i fill like this all the time but in truth i think clannad hit me hard with its story i nearly cred evreytim and i cant cry
Nov 3, 2013 3:14 AM

Nov 2013
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom ruined my soul.
/人 ‿‿ 人\
Nov 3, 2013 3:35 AM
Jun 2012
StillSwingin007 said:

That kind of sounds like depression to me
Nov 3, 2013 3:52 AM

Dec 2012
Paul said:
Considering we got plenty of threads like this on MAL, I'd say it's common enough.

Yep, yep, yep.
Nov 3, 2013 4:21 AM

Oct 2013
By the looks of these forums it is common but, I still think that it is pretty weird.
Look at my wonderful signature.
Nov 3, 2013 4:26 AM

Nov 2013
to me it is completely normal.. i do feel lonely after watching a very good anime and it even keeps me lonely for days too so its natural bro...
Nov 3, 2013 5:44 AM
Oct 2012
Well I just finished Monster and I don't feel like watching anything else except those boring SoL that are actually decent (Natsume)

No psychological anime for at least a month, though.

I got depressed after I finished my first "major" anime series though (FMA)
Nov 3, 2013 6:00 AM

Jul 2011
Is it common to get post movie/book depression?

In the end they are always stories, changes only the fact of being told well or not.
Nov 3, 2013 9:32 AM

Jun 2008
Yes it's common. Now move along.
Nov 3, 2013 9:40 AM

Dec 2012
I think it's probably reasonably common. I used to have a more mild version of that when I was younger, which is why I originally started going to online forums to talk and share enthusiasm about some of the games/shows I enjoyed (I do not recommend you try to do this). I don't think it's something you should feel bad about though. Just try and find as much enjoyment out of it that you can.
daedroth4Nov 3, 2013 10:14 AM
Nov 3, 2013 10:09 AM

Sep 2011
Paul said:

I came to say the exact same thing.

Usually I would say its not common, but I'm really starting to doubt myself now.
Nov 3, 2013 1:54 PM
Apr 2013
Nov 3, 2013 1:56 PM

Jan 2013
yesh
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
And the best part is that no one can prove it wrong
The best part is that you somehow actually exist.
Nov 3, 2013 4:12 PM

Jul 2012
i think i went into a coma after Berserk

hehe. obsession!
Nov 3, 2013 4:22 PM

Aug 2013
It's not just Anime, pretty much anything I've really invested in, I'll try to draw out the experience, as long as I can. You can never feel the same as when you first watch/read/play something good, so I want to make it last.
Nov 3, 2013 4:43 PM

Nov 2013
It sucks sooooo much especially when you hope for a second season and they end up not realesing one :(
To hunger, but not gluttonous. To arouse, but not lustful. To tire, but not slothful.
Nov 3, 2013 5:16 PM

Aug 2013
Nikoka said:
StillSwingin007 said:

Probably because it is. Depression doesn't always mean crying. For me at least, it's the opposite. I never cry when I'm depressed.

More OT: It's common. Very much so.
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Nov 3, 2013 5:59 PM

Aug 2013
Slayermaster said:
Nikoka said:
StillSwingin007 said:

Probably because it is. Depression doesn't always mean crying. For me at least, it's the opposite. I never cry when I'm depressed.

More OT: It's common. Very much so.

Meh, it usually lasts like... half a day? Maybe less.
It's more of a feeling of 'wow, I'm never gonna watch something that amazing again. I fucking love this show' rather than 'wow, what am I gonna do with my life'.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Nov 3, 2013 6:05 PM

Jan 2013
I do get depressed when ik an anime I love a lot is coming to end like Shingeki no Kyojin. I think about all of the amazing things that happened and such. It takes a while for it to actually sink in that it ended. Especially if I like the characters and I can't see the things they do again unless I re-watch the anime. Of course I just go and move on to a different anime soon. I don't stay depressed forever.
Nov 3, 2013 6:09 PM

Jan 2009
back when i was kid sure but when i did get old i stop caring much and just look forward to new anime each season
Nov 4, 2013 3:17 AM
Aug 2013
No
maybe everyone is effected from some point >.>
Nov 4, 2013 4:30 AM

Apr 2013
Loli_Sensei said:
I mean.. when I finish a series with awesome characters I've grown reaaally attached to I get really sad about parting with them when I realise they're not real and I'm not going to be able to share in their adventures anymore. And I just stay depressed and feel 'empty' for days, sometimes weeks.

Its not even just post anime.. I sometimes get it in the middle of a series, when I suddenly remember that its all fiction. I really wish life was as exciting as anime, maybe my own life is too boring, all I do is go to college, get the train home, then watch anime and draw for hours. Maybe I watch too much. But yeah. I was just wondering if this is common or not?

p.s. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, I'm noobish to this site.

not just anime, series you liked or long games.

not really depressed though but kinda sad because it is over

More topics from this board

» Your longest record/streak

Yonahim_Zz - Today

46 by Akuya »»
1 minute ago

» Do you have a prejudice against people who watch ecchi/hentai?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

22 by Akuya »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Current MAL Top 10 Most Popular Anime ( 1 2 )

LittleStar - May 4

59 by Akuya »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » How you decide what anime to watch next

ST63LTH - 12 hours ago

20 by Akuya »»
10 minutes ago

» Opinions on characters colors!

Yonahim_Zz - Today

37 by Akuya »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.