Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 26, 2013 12:33 PM
Sep 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The sequel to Galaxy Express 999. Tetsuro from original movies is being kept in the jail for years but Maetel sets him free to fight another great villain. It seems that producers tried to reanimate the series of 80-s in 90-s and shot the test movie to watch the reaction. The end of the cinema feels a bit rushed, I think they wanted to end on a cliffhanger to create sequels but it seems that the movie wasn't very popular so they decided not to continue it.
Goh'Dan
Nov 26, 2015 5:48 PM

May 2012
Another very interesting movie, I'm actually not directly sure where to place this, while the synopsis says it's one year after the events but I do wonder which events (the previous movie or the series). In general it does look more close to the main series being that Tetsurou also is more to its main series form so I assume it's directly related to that but well it works either way.

I was quite surprised to see Claire again but it sure was wonderful to see her again together with the addition of Mii-kun!

The new things in this movie sure were quite lovely additions, especially loved that the original atmosphere and ost similarities to the main series were present!

In general I wasn't directly a fan of the CGI they used for the train as that was something that should've been kept true to the original drawing style, but in the end it wasn't that bad for 1998. What I did like was the more detailed and "updated" art style which also had quite an impact in my opinion.

I did wish they had continue with another movie as the story of this movie is far from over and has only just begun, but what was certainly a big surprise for me was the appearance of the Uchuu Senkan Yamato! While we know they're the same makers they should normally not be in the same universe/timeline as far as I know? Well they might just have added it for additional effect but boy would it be awesome to see The Yamato, The Arcadia, The Queen Emeraldas and The Ginga Tetsudou 999 all battle together!

That said, this was another amazing movie if you ask me, and as it's a half open ending, the journey of Tetsurou and Maetel will continue even if it is only in our imagination!
Feb 5, 2016 6:08 PM

Jul 2010
I love how the movie ended with "And the journey continues" instead of the sad farewells like the previous two movies. Also a minor thing I enjoyed was how the 999 came straight to the camera and then it turns black and all we hear is one last train horn sound, I just love that.
Apr 12, 2017 6:17 PM

Jun 2013
A beautiful specimen of fantasy genre. The obentou with message reminded me a lot of Honey And Clover. Sad as it was.
Sep 12, 2017 7:38 PM
Apr 2012
What is the sequel to this movie?
Dec 8, 2022 10:14 AM

Oct 2010
looks like a retcon to me, same as the last movie ,some times they're good but here oh damn. The only good things about it were the character designs, onsen scene and final gun fight
Apr 29, 2023 8:08 PM

Jun 2014
This seems to retcon the previous 999 movie, but that's not a bad thing, either. The only disappointment, was that it didn't really "end," but there is no sequel movie, which is unfortunate.

This appears to be a partial adaptation of the 1996 GE999 manga. I hope that someone translates it someday, so perhaps we can find out the conclusion of this movie.

Aug 13, 2023 3:18 PM

Jul 2022
Only confusion I have is.
Who is that girl Tetsuro is thinking about?
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.