Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 10, 2013 1:11 AM

Jun 2008
What can I say...the guy is so damn dense and useless a MC.

Every episode should just be Laura and Charlotte kicking ass like episode 1.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 10, 2013 1:16 AM

Nov 2011
I agree full-heartily.
I was hoping The King of Denseness just kill over like he apparently was in that dream of his. When it went to Laura and Charlotte I was the happiest fucking camper in the West Coast.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Oct 10, 2013 11:42 AM

Nov 2008
Blame the stupid creator for that.
Oct 10, 2013 11:46 AM

Sep 2012
Sure because I become Ichika when I watch the anime LOL
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 10, 2013 12:58 PM

Jun 2011
He's not so bad when you think of him as an asexual who just wants to have fun with friends.

His manga version is very different in that he is misogynist that he is dense, not that's necessarily better but it's something.

Edit: Scratch that. Genderswapping him as a girl will make him a million times better.
AhegyaoOct 10, 2013 1:05 PM
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Oct 10, 2013 1:38 PM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
Ahegyao said:
He's not so bad when you think of him as an asexual who just wants to have fun with friends.

His manga version is very different in that he is misogynist that he is dense, not that's necessarily better but it's something.

Edit: Scratch that. Genderswapping him as a girl will make him a million times better.

It's getting worse, because not only is he so socially dense and completely asexual, he doesn't ever seem to learn in other situations, like battles. He's constantly making the same mistakes, and I'm just getting sick and tired of seeing that dumb look on his face every five minutes.
Oct 10, 2013 3:18 PM

Apr 2013
Yeah, he's useless. Still less annoying than the main characters in Freezing and Campione, though.
Oct 10, 2013 3:58 PM

Oct 2009
Why do MCs in this kinda shows (harems) are generaly idiots? Whats the point of that?
Oct 10, 2013 4:45 PM

Jun 2011
AsherFischell said:
Yeah, he's useless. Still less annoying than the main characters in Freezing and Campione, though.

Can't speak for Freezing because I never started this series, but Godou's leagues above Ichika in terms of getting girls and being OP.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Oct 10, 2013 4:51 PM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
trusttt said:
Why do MCs in this kinda shows (harems) are generaly idiots? Whats the point of that?

Because apparently the Japanese find it funny. Essentially, with harem, in their minds, it's either stupid MC or hentai. They almost never think of anything in-between, and they don't realize that most others find it annoying and stupid.
Oct 10, 2013 4:53 PM
Apr 2013
AsherFischell said:

Goudo wasn't like Ichika imo but in Freezing honestly Kazuya really isn't a main character. He is just there and it completly focuses on the pandora, it is just how Freezing is. He is pretty much a side character in all honesty and i would barely calm him a main one.
Oct 10, 2013 4:54 PM

Mar 2012
He is just decoration anyway.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Oct 10, 2013 4:55 PM

Sep 2012
trusttt said:
So that his terrible treatment by the other characters is justified.

So that things have to be verbally explained to him, functioning as a writing device in order to let the audience know what's going on.

Because it's "funny".

So that you can relate to him.

Because when writing the show, the male character is the one that the target audience is going to care the least about (because at it's core, the entire purpose of the show is to display cute girls), so that's also the character the writer(s) care the least about. Why bother exerting effort and trying to write a good character that nobody is even going to pay attention to, like, or care about anyway?

There's probably more reasons.. but that about covers it generally.
Oct 10, 2013 10:21 PM

Mar 2012
BTW Rito >>>>>>>>>>> Ichika.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Oct 10, 2013 10:29 PM

Dec 2012
NeoAnkara said:

Rito is an enormous pussy.

Don't watch generic harems, problem fixed.
Oct 10, 2013 10:33 PM

Mar 2012
tsudecimo said:
NeoAnkara said:

Rito is an enormous pussy.
He still have more personality that Ichika even though he is pussy.
Oct 10, 2013 10:46 PM

Sep 2009
trusttt said:
It's pretty annoying. Some anime/manga try to change things up though. Take Kaminomi for example...despite being a harem, the MC isn't stupid and he actually gets stuff done.
Oct 10, 2013 11:30 PM

Aug 2011
JustALEX said:
Every episode should just be Laura and Charlotte kicking ass like episode 1.

Yaaaas, screw everyone else.
Oct 11, 2013 12:34 AM

Aug 2013
I think I have an idea regarding Ichika..:
1.decreasing his screen time (like Tadakuni)
2.TBA...
Oct 11, 2013 2:07 AM

Dec 2007
He is pretty worthless, isn't he? It almost feels like he's more plot device than character. I mean, the only thing he has going for him is that he's the only available guy in the whole school, so he could have been a raging pervert like Tomoki (Sora no Otoshimono) and not only still gotten the whole harem anyway, but made a better show in the process!

In fact, I have to admit:
If he were nonexistent and it had just been the girls getting stuck with Tatenashi's antics, the show would probably be twice as good.
Oct 11, 2013 3:23 AM

Dec 2011
If he were ever slightly more intelligent, there's a high possibility he will pick a girl right away, which means the harem won't function. In JAP's mind, getting a girl means THE END, so he wasn't supposed to get anyone until the end, or even no one if they are planning for a sequel.

There are only few ways to make sure a harem story still continuing. The most popular way is to make the MC extremely dumb like this one here. The other way is to make the MC has complete control over his emotions like Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei or Grisaia no Kajitsu, but the latter is far more difficult, and also it seems production companies trying especially hard to make the MC inferior to make viewers feel better of themselves. They can still relate to him while imagining if they were put on MC role they would do a far better job.
Oct 11, 2013 3:26 AM

Jun 2013
Can't we say the same about the 99% of harems?
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.

Oct 11, 2013 3:29 AM

Jan 2013
I like when people pretend only harem MC's are stupid.

Most anime MCs are stupid, across all genres.
Oct 11, 2013 3:42 AM

Jul 2011
omg Alex you really disappoint me with this kind of question...
Oct 11, 2013 3:42 AM

Sep 2013
AsherFischell said:

Godou is nowhere as bad as Ichika and while Kazuya is closer he is still less annoying then Ichika at least for me.
"I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target"
Oct 11, 2013 4:22 AM

Sep 2011
Please don't hate me Ichika haters >_<
BUT, NO. I watch this precisely because its a harem. There ain't no harem without a boy, sooooo NO.
I have no particular problems with his denseness, since honestly, there are worse cases. Actually, its his denseness that actually makes his character slightly more interesting than the plain as white rice MC's from other old harems MC's.

ALSO, Ichika never learned from his mistakes because as Chifuyu has already pointed out, he isn't mastering this kind of technique. His personality is the exact carbon copy as his sister, he is one who masters only ONE thing but to the extreme. He NEVER learns from the situation, because his opponents mostly have sniping ability, missiles, long range, etc. He only has a sword that he PURPOSELY doesn't use to its full potential because of the danger it holds on hurting the pilot. But what simply irritates me is his IS itself. The guy simply needs to learn trajectory and dodging and he's an absolute IS monster since his IS is the best close range in the series. BUT not even a SINGLE long range weapon? seriously? I really wish he had at least a beam rifle or an SMG.

BTW, as you may have noticed, its a possibility that some of the mechas here are designed according to some gundams. In Ichika's case I saw Destiny Gundam, I mean look at the guy's techniques. His sword is also like Destiny's, and his second phase includes a beam on his hands, ALSO part of Destiny Gundam. As for Cecilia.... you seriously have to be blind as to not see that her Blue Tears is designed like Strike Freedom. Even the way the beams are the same, her sniping is the same, she also has those flying beam firing thingies...I dunno the name, but in Gundam Destiny its called the Dragoon system. BUUUT I can't say for sure. LOL, its just a theory, and I haven't really seen anyone prove that the author giot the designs from the Gundam series, but the hints are simply too hard to ignore, and ESPECIALLY Cecilia's blue tears, that mech simply cries out "HEY, I'M ACTUALLY STRIKE FREEDOM".

EDIT:
I almost forgot to add this.
The reason for his denseness is probably this: He HAS to have something unique about him. The Main character in a harem is either dense , not dense but asexual, or finally, the perverted MC. I personally dislike the perverted MC because some anime studios milk this trait and make it completely about him being perverted. Though I don't particularly hate the perverted MC's but they are somewhat annoying, they are ALWAYS bullied or always at the short end of the stick, I can't feel any enjoyment on the comedy when the poor MC is beaten up every episode. I can handle slightly perverted, or simply perverted when the moment comes, but most of the time is serious, this is the perfect MC for me. The dense MC is irritating when the moment calls for it, but Ichika is not to this extent since he was pretty perceptive during some parts. Lastly, the middle is the not dense MC. This MC is the WORST if they don't have any special trait about them. Some people I can name that are like this is Kodaka(please refer to Season 2). He is not dense but isn't forward, I don't dislike him though because he is sometimes the source of comedy and he has many unique traits. But one MC I can name is Kio from Asobi ni Ikuyo(Actually, thinking back, he IS actually pretty dense. But one thing I've seen throughout the series, he can atleast take a hint. He's not dense rather he's simply clueless when around girls), this MC has no revealing trait, he is absolutely plain. I like him when he's fawned by the girls, when he's in Otaku mode or when he's in action but beyond those traits, I am bored when he's around. Not becauee I'm irritated, but rather because they are more plain than white. They have the ability to bore me to death when their scene comes along, and the only time I actually enjoy him is when he's being fawned over by the girls. OKAY, Ichika is not the best MC, but he's a tolerable MC. CONCLUDED!
Naoe-RikiOct 11, 2013 4:44 AM
There comes a time when you need to become stronger and finally move forward from playing like a child, to strong adult

Oct 11, 2013 4:47 AM

Dec 2011
^
Are u high, dude?

btw, watch Ep 2, his IS has already being equipped with long-range weapon

I personally don't like the current trend "cute girls doing cute things" anime, I still prefer a harem show even with the most unlikeable MC contrary to All Girls crap.
Oct 11, 2013 5:09 AM
Jan 2013
AsherFischell said:

What was wrong with the MC in Freezing? His feelings were one sided towards Satellizer and he had none towards Rana. It was Satellizer who had problems not the MC. To be more accurate it was the show getting in the way of it self to go further than they currently have. If you are going to say that he is useless, you need to be some what academic about it and deconstruct his character along with the reasons for what you are trying to say is true. Quickly thinking about it, I doubt you could prove that it is the MC's fault, rather than another characters fault. For example seeing as this is a IS board I will use that as an example. Ichika is dense as fuck and thus makes him "Useless". An example where nothing happens and a MC is "Useless" but is for plot reasons (Like Freezing) is Haganai. If you have seen Season 1 and 2 then you will understand. Please, don't cristise other shows without good reason.
Oct 11, 2013 5:22 AM

Dec 2012
TDarkNight said:
AsherFischell said:

What was wrong with the MC in Freezing? His feelings were one sided towards Satellizer and he had none towards Rana. It was Satellizer who had problems not the MC. To be more accurate it was the show getting in the way of it self to go further than they currently have. If you are going to say that he is useless, you need to be some what academic about it and deconstruct his character along with the reasons for what you are trying to say is true. Quickly thinking about it, I doubt you could prove that it is the MC's fault, rather than another characters fault. For example seeing as this is a IS board I will use that as an example. Ichika is dense as fuck and thus makes him "Useless". An example where nothing happens and a MC is "Useless" but is for plot reasons (Like Freezing) is Haganai. If you have seen Season 1 and 2 then you will understand. Please, don't cristise other shows without good reason.

Your wording is really confusing but I think I get what you mean.

I don't think the MC of Freezing is really bad, he is more bland than the usual harem MC and even though I read past the first season in the manga I couldn't describe his personality if my life depended on it. But on the bright side, he doesn't have a lot of screen time and the anime heavily focus on Satellizer more than other characters for obvious reasons, and he is not useless when it comes to battle, he helped in a lot of situations and he is not dense as fuck.

Kodaka is also better than you typical harem MC because he is likable although a bit boring ( not to me though) and his denseness is explained and he is not actually dense for the sake of being dense and he is character design and personality is not too generic.

I can't really think of a harem MC worse than Ichika, I literally can't name one good thing about him, it's like the author never tried at ALL, not even a little bit.
Oct 11, 2013 5:40 AM

Jul 2011
tsudecimo said:
I can't really think of a harem MC worse than Ichika, I literally can't name one good thing about him, it's like the author never tried at ALL, not even a little bit.

Freezing
Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi
Kanokon
Maburaho
Mayoi Neko Overrun
School Days
Yumeria
Koi Koi 7
Maken-Ki
Amaenaide yo
Fortune Arterial

I find them even worse and there are still others that I cant remember right now.

but yeah almost all of them are irritating

Oct 11, 2013 6:03 AM
Jan 2013
tsudecimo said:
TDarkNight said:
AsherFischell said:

Your wording is really confusing but I think I get what you mean.

I don't think the MC of Freezing is really bad, he is more bland than the usual harem MC and even though I read past the first season in the manga I couldn't describe his personality if my life depended on it. But on the bright side, he doesn't have a lot of screen time and the anime heavily focus on Satellizer more than other characters for obvious reasons, and he is not useless when it comes to battle, he helped in a lot of situations and he is not dense as fuck.

Kodaka is also better than you typical harem MC because he is likable although a bit boring ( not to me though) and his denseness is explained and he is not actually dense for the sake of being dense and he is character design and personality is not too generic.

My bad for not proof reading what I wrote I just got a little defensive over the MC of Freezing. I don't particularly like him however I think he played his role right*.
* I didn't go into Freezing expecting much more or less a full on fan service show, which it was and the MC was more than I expected. Freezing is a perfect guilty pleasure show much like DxD but IS is not.
Oct 11, 2013 6:05 AM
Jan 2013
ainky said:
tsudecimo said:

Freezing
Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi
Kanokon
Maburaho
Mayoi Neko Overrun
School Days
Yumeria
Koi Koi 7
Maken-Ki
Amaenaide yo
Fortune Arterial

I find them even worse and there are still others that I cant remember right now.

but yeah almost all of them are irritating

Why does everyone hate the MC of Freezing? Can someone please explain? Please give good reasons not he is annoying or something subjective, a objective answer on his character would be nice :)
Oct 11, 2013 6:15 AM

Dec 2012
ainky said:

Kanokon
[.....]

Oh right Kanokon, I forgot that little shit. I disagree with the other ones you listed though, at least the ones I have seen.
Oct 11, 2013 6:17 AM

Jul 2011
@TDarkNight I hated the MC of Freezing especially in the first episodes, he was so annoying almost as Kanokon's MC but at the end of the first and now in the second season I must say that he's much better.
Oct 11, 2013 6:33 AM
Jan 2013
ainky said:
@TDarkNight I hated the MC of Freezing especially in the first episodes, he was so annoying almost as Kanokon's MC but at the end of the first and now in the second season I must say that he's much better.

Thanks I will leave it at that. I must only remember him from the final episodes. But if he drastically improved is it right and is he still really that bad of a MC? Perhaps it was his character archetype and not him?
Oct 11, 2013 7:22 AM

Sep 2011
a
wuhugm said:
^
Are u high, dude?

btw, watch Ep 2, his IS has already being equipped with long-range weapon

I personally don't like the current trend "cute girls doing cute things" anime, I still prefer a harem show even with the most unlikeable MC contrary to All Girls crap.
Ah sorry. I posted that without watching the 2nd episode. I'd edit it but its already useless at this point. What I'd say after watching episode 2 is this. He has a new long-range weapon, the problem is that he doesn't have any idea how to use it. I've played games with me requiring to be a long range and the others are close range. I prefer long range though. In long range, going at it and simply firing like an idiot is a big no-no. Random firing and without strategy will get you caught, expert players will be able to predict your spamming and decide the battle by the next strike. I always have a plan ready when I play Gundam SEED Destiny+. This game is quite close as to how you actually fight with mechas, and I have to say, close range is so much harder. When using long range, you have to predict your opponent's move, read the situation and learn his next movement with his/her booster. The point of the booster is to make sure you can dodge, so while using the booster, your unable to hit your enemy easily, so predicting what time and point they'll make a stop or at least slow-down enough for a clear shot to appear is very much needed. Ichika simply shot and aimed for Rin, he did not hit because he didn't wait for a clear shot and rushed things. The ultimate failure of the guy is this: He doesn't predict the enemy's strategy. I've encountered a situation just like Ichika's when playing the Gundam game, though unlike IS, we had boosters that was depleted in mere seconds. You move for the kill when you have enough boost to make a dodge movement, in Infinite Stratos, it seems that shield energy isn't quite the same but like in my gundam game, this energy is able to charge though at a very slow rate unlike in Gundam games where you have very limited boost energy, but it recharges after 2 seconds of not using it. Preserving your boost, making optimal attacks with enough leverage for a dodge is essential when your playing against really good players. Ichika's problem was reserving his boost energy and controlling his movements. In Gundam Vs. Gundam, boost energy is depleted even faster with the second boost, in Infinite Stratos, it seems Ichika keeps using these boost movements that depletes his energy. Why does he need to do this? Because he has no control over predicting trajectory from enemy shots and controlling speed with optimal energy consumption, and because he wastes energy, the seocnd the enemy found a weak spot, they can simply scratch around this weak spot until the energy is depleted and making sure that the boost is no longer usable.
Naoe-RikiOct 11, 2013 7:26 AM
There comes a time when you need to become stronger and finally move forward from playing like a child, to strong adult

Oct 26, 2013 11:07 PM

Jun 2008
After watching episode 3....

Move over Shinji, you are no longer my most hated anime character ever.

That distinction now belongs solely to this piece of shit.

Ichika has ZERO redeeming qualities and continues to be the most retarded character I have probably ever seen in anime.
Oct 27, 2013 1:56 PM

Aug 2012
"Better" is not saying much at all. Getting rid of him doesn't fix the girls' stupidity or the writers' inability to come up with stuff other than 1) filler or 2) introducing new and forgettable characters in order to fill up the 1-cour limit.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Oct 27, 2013 3:21 PM

Apr 2013
If you really hate his dense behavior (I personally find it hilarious if anything) than don't watch the OVA coming out this wednesday, considering from the trailer its gonna be a whole lot of dense coming up.
Yahari <3
Nov 8, 2013 5:05 AM

Jun 2013
Some of you are either brain dead, daft, suffering from cancer of the brain, or maybe you just never had one in the first place.

He is not asexual, nor is any MC in a harem. He clearly shows excitement and arousal when seeing the girls in certain situation, and no that would not be a natural reaction to someone who is asexual.

Secondly this is harem, MCs are always like this in harems, and why are watching knowing this fact. I don't go and watch a sports show and wonder why aren't the characters fighting in mechs. Certain genre have certain tropes and especially if you already saw season1, and I assume you did since this is season 2, you should know what to expect.

Its called hentai, if that is what you are after. And they even have a magical thing called yuri where its nothing but cutesy girls making out with each other.
Nov 10, 2013 12:31 PM

Apr 2011
Considering this anime is about random girls following him 19 minutes out of 20 it's hard to ignore him
Nov 11, 2013 7:56 AM
Oct 2008
Damn, i hate when those girls say out loud some of they thoughts and he's like "you said sth?"... ah, how can he be so stupid? In the first season he was actually pretty good character... maybe not a good character, but not so useless like he's now.

But i guess i will at least try to finish this series... out of boredom ;/.
Nov 20, 2013 5:01 PM

Oct 2013
Tomaton said:
Damn, i hate when those girls say out loud some of they thoughts and he's like "you said sth?"... ah, how can he be so stupid? In the first season he was actually pretty good character... maybe not a good character, but not so useless like he's now.

But i guess i will at least try to finish this series... out of boredom ;/.

100% agree, season 2 is literaly so much boring, Ichika is so fucking weak, making the same mistake every time, oh well i guess it will use a special power in episode 12 so the author will let us say OOOOOÉ look how ichika can be good....sure...

p.s dont get me wrong, i know the show is focused about girls follwing him(Harem) but ichika could be a little less useless that now... seriously
Nov 21, 2013 10:11 AM

Sep 2013
Valaskjalf said:
Considering this anime is about random girls following him 19 minutes out of 20 it's hard to ignore him
Nov 27, 2013 1:42 PM

Apr 2010
The show would suck either way. God knows why the Japs love it so much. What's so appealing about a guy who doesn't know why 5 girls are angry at him after he's caught with a girl straddling him? Seriously? I saw the BD sales were 18k on first week, next closest one was something like 5k? How can such a bad show be THAT popular?!?

Plus, I only watch it to see how much more Ichika's IQ drops as the series goes on. His lack of brains is astounding.
Oct 30, 2020 6:53 PM
Oct 2020
I know I'm a little bit late to the game but I'd like to put in my two cents. He really is useless and so fucking dense. If they at least gave us a reason for why he is so dense around girls like with high school DxD, then it might be a little easier to like him. Add the fac5 that seems to either not learn or just doesn't give a fuck. Give us more Issei Hyodo an interesting character who seems to grow and learn, plus giving us not ladies to look at.
Oct 30, 2020 7:21 PM

Oct 2018
Just stopping by to remind you that Charlotte, Cecilia, and Tatenashi are best girls this is fact.
Apr 1, 2022 7:58 PM
Mar 2022
Teenage boys = out of control horndogs... unless there is just something wrong them thats how they are hands down... but in these they make them clueless dumbfuck shat-tards and like chick repelent. I fucking hate these stupid fucks and how these dumbshit japs create the character... it all leads me to beleive that jap males from teen to senile at prude worthless good for nothing no talent assclown pieces of shit and the most pathetic ppl on the planet especially if its like they say when they try and defend pieces of crap like itchika saying put them in their place and in their shoes.... if you are able to relate and can put yourself in the shoes of any of these uessless dbags then you are total and utter fail as a human and you need to go nap on the rail tracks or get a rope and go to the garage and "swing" cause the world would be better off without you.
Jun 23, 2022 5:50 PM

May 2021
What's even the difference between Ichika and nothingness?

Sep 1, 2022 12:12 AM
Apr 2021
HollowIchigo58 said:
Blame the stupid creator for that.

Yeah, the author is physically repulsive lol
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » IS: Infinite Stratos 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2013

110 by HOOfan_1 »»
Feb 22, 2023 5:48 AM

Poll: » IS: Infinite Stratos 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2013

225 by Odysseus88 »»
Sep 1, 2022 12:11 AM

Poll: » IS: Infinite Stratos 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 7, 2013

90 by SIKABOBADIGA »»
Aug 31, 2022 1:14 PM

Poll: » IS: Infinite Stratos 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2013

111 by MizuhoKamui »»
Aug 10, 2022 12:35 PM

Poll: » IS: Infinite Stratos 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 28, 2013

93 by MizuhoKamui »»
Aug 10, 2022 11:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.