Forum Settings
Forums
New
Anybody getting it?
Feb 11, 2009 7:51 AM

Jun 2007
It's almost here, is anyone plan on picking it up?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 11, 2009 7:58 AM

Jun 2008
I'm leaning towards no, but normally I'll have my RPGs which I'd beat - then I'd play an online game or fighting game between my next game that can actually end.

Since I do not have a filler game right now - I probably will get it or~

I voted no because I am thinking of just picking up Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike. While the focus attacks seem great; I've never seen players really use it to cancel things much. Parry seems much nicer.

Feb 11, 2009 7:58 AM

Dec 2008
I'm leaning more on yes but till I know what the control system is like for the PC, I probably won't be getting it. There's a small chance I'll still get it though... even if getting the PC version means doing some serious keyboard-mashing.
Feb 11, 2009 9:18 AM

Jan 2009
I am getting SFIV for sure..
Waiting a long time for it's release date and I have already ordered one at the gamestore
Feb 11, 2009 11:54 AM

Feb 2009
I've had the game pre-ordered for a couple of weeks and my roommate and I are planning to play it. SF4's actually going to be my first Street Fighter because my parents wouldn't let me play SF2 when I was younger and I can't really remember seeing SF3 in arcades anywhere.
Feb 11, 2009 12:40 PM

Nov 2008
Yeah, I'll be picking it up. Eventually.
Feb 11, 2009 12:44 PM

Jun 2008
Yeah, I eventually will pick it up (360) with possibly the Akuma gamepad.
Feb 11, 2009 2:59 PM

Jun 2007
^ You have NO chance of that happening. Go get yourself a freeloader and import Capcom Vs tatsunoko instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatsunoko_vs._Capcom
MY FIGHT MONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!
Feb 11, 2009 3:38 PM

Sep 2008
I see this as a rental until it drops in price. No way in hell will I pay 60 bucks for any fighter.
Feb 11, 2009 3:42 PM

Jun 2008
MotokoAramaki said:
I see this as a rental until it drops in price. No way in hell will I pay 60 bucks for any fighter.

This is very important. I felt robbed paying 50 dollars for Brawl and it wasn't even my own money [late Christmas present that was promised to me]. Even is SF4 is tournament worthy - I doubt I'll ever be able to actually win that money back [since I plan to suck XD]. I just want it for fun =/.

Feb 11, 2009 4:00 PM

Jun 2007
Rikuna said:
MotokoAramaki said:

This is very important. I felt robbed paying 50 dollars for Brawl and it wasn't even my own money [late Christmas present that was promised to me]. Even is SF4 is tournament worthy - I doubt I'll ever be able to actually win that money back [since I plan to suck XD]. I just want it for fun =/.

That and your name isn't Daigo or Justin Wong. =P
Feb 11, 2009 4:17 PM

Jun 2008
xeixei said:
Rikuna said:
MotokoAramaki said:

That and your name isn't Daigo or Justin Wong. =P

I won't look up where they live, but as long as one of those stars don't live near by - there is a chance to win something back@@; I just want to be good enough to enter the tournament at AX 2009 and Otakon 2009!

Feb 11, 2009 5:36 PM

May 2008
Rehash of SFII Turbo?

No thanks, I'll stick to SFIII:3rd strike.
Feb 11, 2009 5:56 PM

Aug 2007
I'll eventually get it. BlazBlue is superior in every aspect though.
Feb 11, 2009 6:29 PM

May 2008
Karura said:
BlazBlue is superior in every aspect though.

haha oh wow....opinions, opinions. got a good laugh out of it though.
Feb 11, 2009 6:50 PM

Jun 2008
DeltaPlus said:
Karura said:
BlazBlue is superior in every aspect though.

haha oh wow....opinions, opinions. got a good laugh out of it though.

Eh - he reminded me more that in Spring for NA~ Guilty Gear XX AC Plus will be out. So I am thinking I'll just wait for that. Didn't feel like laughing@@;

Feb 11, 2009 7:03 PM

Feb 2009
Just get HD Remix and save yourself $45.
Feb 11, 2009 7:50 PM

Jun 2007
Rehash of SF2Turbo???? What the hell are you guys on about, it's nothing like it. The pace and play style is completely different.
Feb 11, 2009 10:04 PM

Dec 2007
Karura said:
I'll eventually get it. BlazBlue is superior in every aspect though.

Blazblue and SF4 are absolutely nothing alike except for the fact that they're fighting games. One is not superior to the other.

All the crap about "Rehash" and stuff about buying HD Remix or 3rd strike is stupid because of the same thing - three separate games; they don't even play alike.

But I guess if you're looking at things from the "HELL YEAH IM GONNA MASH BUTTONS LIKE CRAZY AND WATCH COOL THINGS HAPPEN" then I can see where you're coming from.

(and yes, I'll be buying SF4 as soon as I get a console to play it on..)
Feb 11, 2009 11:30 PM

Feb 2009
You're either kidding yourself or haven't played the arcade version if you don't think SF4 plays similar to Super Street Fighter II Turbo.

There isn't a big enough change to warrant $60.
Feb 11, 2009 11:35 PM

Aug 2007
All 2d fighting games have similar gameplay. You're in denial if you think otherwise. Sure there are minor differences, but scraping it down it's the same fundamental formula.

similar =/= the same
Feb 12, 2009 12:01 AM

Nov 2007
PS3 CE and 2 TE FightSticks on pre-order (hopefully both sticks come through around launch), and if I can actually find an Akuma FightPad, will pick one of those up as well (but for PC use).

And I'm not even going to bother responding to the ridiculous notion that SFIIT is the same thing.

"You live and learn. At any rate, you live." ~Douglas Adams (RIP)
Feb 12, 2009 4:55 AM

Jun 2008
I don't mind if SF4 is simple or not or like SF2 Turbo or not.

I wanted a HD fighter on 7th gen, but apparently this won't be it. BlazBlue eventually <3~~

THE WHEEL OF FATE IS TURNING
REBEL 1
ACTION

Feb 12, 2009 5:41 AM

Jun 2007
gokieks said:
PS3 CE and 2 TE FightSticks on pre-order (hopefully both sticks come through around launch), and if I can actually find an Akuma FightPad, will pick one of those up as well (but for PC use).

And I'm not even going to bother responding to the ridiculous notion that SFIIT is the same thing.

*Whistles* Get you moneybags!
Feb 12, 2009 8:48 AM

Jun 2007
I want BlazBlue too, but that is not coming to NA anytime soon...
Feb 12, 2009 10:53 AM

Jun 2008
Nuge said:
I want BlazBlue too, but that is not coming to NA anytime soon...

I dunno... I am not one for settling with the thing I want least. Even Guilty Gear XX AC Plus is coming in spring. Would you play SF4 over AC+@@;;;;?!! [coming to Wii></PS2^_^/PSP@@;;;;]

Every time I watch this though - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44551.html

I kind of want SF4 ><. Don't troll me too hard, okay =)~~
SetsumiFeb 12, 2009 10:58 AM

Feb 12, 2009 11:09 AM

Mar 2008
I never got into ST/HDR so I doubt I'll be picking it up. SF was never appealing to me (game seems largely yomi and hitconfirm). Prefer those ridiculously difficult combo links like GG/MB/BB/HNK and okizeme setups and guard break blockstrings.
Feb 12, 2009 11:23 AM

Sep 2007
BlazBlue's release date is still TBA. But a lot of people are already expecting a release during Fall this year.
Feb 12, 2009 11:25 AM

Jun 2008
Massaki said:
BlazBlue's release date is still TBA. But a lot of people are already expecting a release during Fall this year.

OMGOGMOGMGOMGOMGOGMGOMGOMGOMGOGM OMG <3

Even if it doesn't turn out to be true - that would be the greatest thing ever ><~~ Perfect Birthday Present~~~

Still - only game for 2009 so far I think I'll get is Ar Tonelico 2 [which I already got]. If BlazBlue really came out - it would save the year for me <3~~~~~ Wahhh wahhh ;-;. Even if it is Japan only; I'd play-asia it! Unless they make the game region specific ;-; (do PS3 games even have that or is it only 360?).

Feb 12, 2009 11:31 AM

Feb 2009
Karura said:
All 2d fighting games have similar gameplay. You're in denial if you think otherwise. Sure there are minor differences, but scraping it down it's the same fundamental formula.

similar =/= the same

Indeed, and note that I never once anywhere said they where the same. There just isn't a big enough change from SFIIT -> SF4 to warrant the money. SFIII Added a TON of new shit to warrant it's purchase, including an entirely new cast aside from the main characters, parrying, leap attacks, ect. It was it's own game where SF4 feels like Street Fighter II with a new coat of paint.

The chunks of legitimately new content in SF4 seem few and far between in comparison.
Feb 12, 2009 11:31 AM

Jul 2008
Eh, I've played a fair amount of SF4 already. Honestly, not a huge fan. I can see why David Sirlin, a top tournament pro and lead designer of HD Remix, dislikes it.

Wonky meters, strange acceleration on the jumps, plus they don't go far enough horizontally, and are too high vertically. There's also questionable balance in terms of the characters (Sagat, anyone?), and some very handwavey cancels and counters to them.

I'll probably save my money and more importantly, the few hundred hours I would have spent trying to get my Guile up to solid tournament caliber, heh.

Edit

Anyone who thinks SF4 and Super Turbo/HD Remix are even REMOTELY SIMILAR games probably shouldn't be playing fighting games to begin with.

I mean, wow. If you think fighting games have anything to do with cast of characters or visuals, then it's clearly not the genre for you.
Feb 12, 2009 11:32 AM

Sep 2007
Well. Knowing how Aksys got their own translation of the BlazBlue Arcade Machine pretty quick, they might make a simultaneous release. It'd be great if that really happened, but then, Europe would get screwed over cause there's no Aksys/Arcsys over here. 505 Games takes too much time to release Arcsys' games.

Regarding the region lock, the system itself isn't. But, the games might be locked so that they only work in a specific region. Fortunately, Japan doesn't even care to lock most of their games, so most of them are region-free. 360 owners get screwed tho.

Also, for people wanting BlazBlue to get released in the 360 might get their hopes crushed. As Microsoft doesn't put much consideration into niche fighting games.
Feb 12, 2009 11:37 AM

Nov 2007
xeixei said:
gokieks said:

*Whistles* Get you moneybags!

A completely brand new Street Fighter game being released in an almost-once-in-a-decade type of event, so I have no qualms about splurging a bit for it. And I don't really intend to get much of anything else during the month of February anyway (Flower off PSN is about it aside from SFIV).

Feb 12, 2009 11:46 AM

Feb 2009
Rikuna said:
(do PS3 games even have that or is it only 360?).

PS3 is region free. Thinking about importing Yakuza 3 myself.

ShaolinRibiero said:

Anyone who thinks SF4 and Super Turbo/HD Remix are even REMOTELY SIMILAR games probably shouldn't be playing fighting games to begin with.

Then please, indulge me.
Feb 12, 2009 11:54 AM

Mar 2008
God forbid us thinking SF4 and ST have remotely similar styles should allow us to play fighting games! I mean the movesets are completely different, after all.
Feb 12, 2009 11:59 AM

Jun 2008
If a tournament pro guy of a past version says it is bad - I'll generally take their word instead of see for myself. I should have listened to the people playing Brawl who were good at Melee before I wasted 50 dollars.

Feb 12, 2009 12:07 PM

Jan 2009
Already got the Japanese version but, I have the us version pre-ordered as well :p

ZEPHYR0US said:

wow, did you really just say that?

Feb 12, 2009 12:09 PM

Feb 2009
Bakedninja said:
Already got the Japanese version but, I have the us version pre-ordered as well :p

ZEPHYR0US said:

wow, did you really just say that?

Yeah, it's the better game.
Feb 12, 2009 12:13 PM

Mar 2008
Rikuna said:
If a tournament pro guy of a past version says it is bad - I'll generally take their word instead of see for myself. I should have listened to the people playing Brawl who were good at Melee before I wasted 50 dollars.

If there's an arcade you can check out w/ SF4 then it would be a great idea to just get a feel for the basic mechanics, of course.

Also match videos (youtube, nico, etc) of "high level play" to see how the game plays out. Watching a promo video showcasing each character's supers doesn't really say much about the game, except for the sprites.

Of course, CMVs are a great motivation to play games that require tight execution if you're into that kinda stuff...
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x67f85_nostalgia_videogames
I guess everyone has a different reason why they like certain FGs.
Feb 12, 2009 12:18 PM

Jun 2008
Eh - I watched a lot of videos even ones of supposed good guys playing. Didn't really seem too technical not like they kept canceling everything with focus attacks for mindgames.

Already decided I'll get Guilty Gear XX AC Plus for this (next) season or zero fighting games at all.

Feb 12, 2009 12:41 PM

May 2008
ShaolinRibiero said:

Even the pathtetic tourney heads agree with it being a poorman's version of Turbo. 5 years down the line, SFIII will still be the main event at EVO.
TechnicsMKIIFeb 12, 2009 12:56 PM
Feb 12, 2009 12:45 PM

Jun 2008
DeltaPlus said:
ShaolinRibiero said:

Even the pathtetic tourney heads agree it being a poorman's version of Turbo. 5 years down the line, SFIII will still be the main event at EVO.

Poorman's version? On Amazon Turbo is 4 dollars used@@; SF4 is 60 dollars@@; And look at EVO now - SF3 isn't there anymore? I haven't researched recently, but I remember in summer it wasn't; Guilty Gear wasn't there either. Or did I confuse something?

Feb 12, 2009 7:25 PM

Jul 2008
ZEPHYR0US said:

ShaolinRibiero said:

Then please, indulge me.

Indulge you in what? They're not even remotely similar. What else do you want me to explain? How an orange is different from an apple, even though they're both fruits?

DeltaPlus said:

Even the pathtetic tourney heads agree with it being a poorman's version of Turbo. 5 years down the line, SFIII will still be the main event at EVO.

I'm not a huge fan of SF4, but you do realize that Third Strike is one of the most hated games in SF history, and most pros ignore it? I mean, talk about the worst possible example to make your point...

Besides, I think the biggest entries in recent years at EVO have been for MvC2, correct me if I'm wrong.
Feb 12, 2009 8:23 PM

Mar 2005
I'm getting this game def
Feb 12, 2009 8:30 PM

Feb 2009
ShaolinRibiero said:

Indulge you in what? They're not even remotely similar. What else do you want me to explain? How an orange is different from an apple, even though they're both fruits?

You can keep repeating yourself about how they aren't similar all you want but until you back it up your post means nothing.

SF4's engine is just expanding on SFII, it's ridiculous to think there aren't any similaritys.

Everyone seems to think they have a lot in common.

The game has a very similar feel to Super Street Fighter II Turbo, but also has several features from Street Fighter III 3rd Strike.

http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Street_Fighter_IV

Despite the 3-D graphics, Street Fighter IV is still a 2-D fighting game, and indeed, it plays very similar to the older Street Fighter titles, although with some modern improvements.

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=59395

The overall basic structure of Street Fighter IV feels like an attempt to carefully mix elements from the Third Strike and Super Turbo engines.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3166483&p=10

I can go on, but I think you get the point.
IconoclastFeb 12, 2009 8:35 PM
Feb 12, 2009 9:28 PM

Jul 2008
ZEPHYR0US said:
ShaolinRibiero said:

You can keep repeating yourself about how they aren't similar all you want but until you back it up your post means nothing.

SF4's engine is just expanding on SFII, it's ridiculous to think there aren't any similaritys.

What?

You make a stupid, ludicrous statement, and then it's my job to disprove it? That's not how things work outside of kindergarten. If you say "the world is flat!", you're the one who has to provide a shred of evidence for that, not me.

ZEPHYROUS said:

Everyone seems to think they have a lot in common.

The game has a very similar feel to Super Street Fighter II Turbo, but also has several features from Street Fighter III 3rd Strike.

http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Street_Fighter_IV

Despite the 3-D graphics, Street Fighter IV is still a 2-D fighting game, and indeed, it plays very similar to the older Street Fighter titles, although with some modern improvements.

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=59395

The overall basic structure of Street Fighter IV feels like an attempt to carefully mix elements from the Third Strike and Super Turbo engines.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3166483&p=10

I can go on, but I think you get the point.

Wow, congratulations on copying a few links which are nothing more than public relations hype trying to show that SF4 is closer to the gold standard classics like Third Strike and Super Turbo than the first game people thought of...Street Fighter EX.

Better yet, THEY DON'T EVEN SUPPORT YOUR POINT.

Third Strike and Super Turbo couldn't possibly be more diverse, so if a game mixes the elements of both, then it's pretty fucking different, no?

Christ, at least play the game first, and only then make your exaggerated and incorrect claims.
Feb 12, 2009 10:24 PM

Feb 2009
ShaolinRibiero said:

What?

You make a stupid, ludicrous statement, and then it's my job to disprove it? That's not how things work outside of kindergarten. If you say "the world is flat!", you're the one who has to provide a shred of evidence for that, not me.

Breaking it down to the basics it's a 2D, 6 button layout fighter with super combos like SFIIT but with a few new uninteresting gimmicks tacked on.

If you think this isn't true then explain.

ShaolinRibiero said:

Third Strike and Super Turbo couldn't possibly be more diverse, so if a game mixes the elements of both, then it's pretty fucking different, no?

Different? If rehashing elements from 2 previous games is different sure. that doesn't mean there still aren't similaritys

ShaolinRibiero said:
Christ, at least play the game first, and only then make your exaggerated and incorrect claims.

I've had my time with it, albeit not as much as I'd like since it's constantly being used.
IconoclastFeb 12, 2009 10:28 PM
Feb 12, 2009 10:40 PM

Nov 2007
Your basis of them being similar is that they're both 2D, use a 6 button layout, and have supers? Seriously?

Feb 12, 2009 10:44 PM

Feb 2009
gokieks said:
Your basis of them being similar is that they're both 2D, use a 6 button layout, and have supers? Seriously?

And same cast with generally the same movesets if you want to throw that in.

Either way saying they have absolutely no similaritys is silly.

again similar =/= the same
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

62 by BitChilly »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Nintendo the rising king of console industry!?

rohan121 - Yesterday

8 by Lucifrost »»
4 hours ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

28 by MalchikRepaid »»
4 hours ago

» What Are Your Favorite Games? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ZeroTatsuyaYu - Mar 13, 2016

289 by SolidPayne »»
4 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3537 by BookBirdie »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.