Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

So what are the chances of Kill la Kill surpassing AoT in popularity, as well as winning Anime of the Year(2013)?

Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 4, 2013 9:02 PM
Sep 2013
I've heard a lot of hype about it so far, and i felt curious to ask this.
Oct 4, 2013 9:05 PM

Dec 2012
I hope Kill la Kill doesn't get crammed with shitty threads like SnK.
Oct 4, 2013 9:06 PM

Nov 2010
For the first one almost none and for the second idk.
Oct 4, 2013 9:21 PM

Jul 2012
Attack On Titan was such a huge success to where even random people who don't watch anime seemed to watch it.

I don't see Kill La Kill making it that far. Don't get me wrong; it's likely to become popular within the anime fandom; But THAT popular? I don't see that happening.
Oct 4, 2013 9:21 PM
Mar 2011
most pooplar hmm no its tv ratings do say that not even brake top 8 [ yes i use top 8 cuase nothing brakes the top five]

its ales No 100% no Kill la kill is a orginal anime from a studio that has sold nothing while SnK was based on a well know middling sucess manga [ oior oyu could say a manga that is good selling cuase is monthly shounen]
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 4, 2013 9:22 PM

Sep 2013
Dropping that anime before I even watch it. I'd say..... no.

EDIT: Nevermind, undropped. Still #SnKNumber1
th3pwnsh0pOct 4, 2013 11:35 PM
Oct 4, 2013 9:35 PM
Sep 2013
tsudecimo said:

Don't like it don't click it.
Oct 4, 2013 9:40 PM

Oct 2010
If it's as epic as Tengen Toppa Guren Lagann, it will probably reach the same popularity as SnK. It'll be a tough contender to beat.

~ IA- Aria on the Planetes ~ Vocaloid V3 voiced by LiA (Clannad Afterstory, Angel Beats! theme song singer)
Oct 4, 2013 9:47 PM

Aug 2012
It will be tough to beat the popularity of AOT, but may give it a run for anime of the year but dunno yet since only 1 ep is out.
Oct 4, 2013 11:44 PM

Mar 2013
I don't see that happening :/
I could see Kill La Kill being popular and such, but it won't surpass AoT
AoT will still remain as 2013 Anime of the Year :)
Oct 5, 2013 12:12 AM

Nov 2011
Too early to decide ...

But if KLK went like TTGL and had 26 ep with lot's of Twists ,Epicness, Character development , a time skip , and Craziness...

I think it would match AoT , but still far away from beating's it's popularity

AoT is now considered like Death Note, A Must for any anime Watcher

PLus : I have faith in KLK and it's Crazy Staff
Oct 5, 2013 12:33 AM

Aug 2012
If that's really their objective, I dunno. I never really consider over-the-top action animes and series that I can never take seriously as AoTYs, though.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure that KLK is a series that caters more to experienced anime fans that know their tropes, whereas SnK doesn't really rely on its own tropes to appeal to its own fanbase, which is why its popularity is more widespread. Since they're different that way, I'd rather not compare them, though.
Oct 5, 2013 12:48 AM

Jan 2009
its too early to know since 1 episode is only out, but personally i doubt it will reach the popularity of SnK
Oct 5, 2013 1:37 AM

Sep 2013
Ok. After finishing the 1st episode of KLK and doing some snooping around,

MAYBE as much popularity as SnK, Anime of the Year 2013 no.
Oct 5, 2013 2:57 AM
Apr 2011
Popular? Yes. SnK-level? No.

Kill la Kill uses lots of anime tropes that may turn off non anime viewers. I doubt it will even reach the same level as TTGL.
Oct 5, 2013 8:06 AM

Dec 2012
SnK has a huge manga fandom, the anime hooked a lot of anime-only viewers. Kill La Kill is a nice treat, but makert-wise, too early to speak of success. I badly need a good story to match the superb visual gag and the action in Kill la Kill.
Oct 5, 2013 8:25 AM
Jul 2013
tsudecimo said:

I hope so too.

So what are the chances of Kill la Kill surpassing AoT in popularity, as well as winning Anime of the Year(2013)?

This question should be asked later on, after 4 or 6 episodes, Because you can't assume the Level that this Anime would be on from just one episode.

To tell you the truth i couldn't finish the first episode yesterday, that show felt like it had a Torpedo on it, i mean slow the hell down.

Last note: I'll continue watching it after they air episode 3 or so, cuz then i'll give it it's preliminary Score and then will see if it will reach SnK level.
Oct 6, 2013 1:43 AM

Jul 2008
Both series had a lot of hype going into them, but how can you really judge them side by side? They have completely different art and style. The plot set-up is quite different... Kill la Kill looks like it will be a bit more episodic (judging from the preview for the next episode... it seems like it might have a bit of a "battle of the week" while unfolding some of the plot through each fight, etc. BUT it's too early to call that entirely). SnK is the complete opposite.. each episode is part of one story, and you can't tune in to any random episode without watching the rest.

So much of this will be entirely based on personal preference. If you want to backtrack to a similar situation from several years ago, it's a bit like when Gurren Laggan came out around the same time as Code Geass R2 in so far as comparing character designs, art, style, etc.
Oct 6, 2013 2:53 AM

Apr 2012
Will it be famous? YES
Surpass SnK? NO

School settings with bullies are so overused and you can spot it a mile away that not only will it rely on generic type casting but also a lot of ecchi. The student body council rules with an iron fist... like I've never heard that before.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Oct 6, 2013 3:38 AM

Aug 2012
Janethan23 said:
Will it be famous? YES
Surpass SnK? NO

School settings with bullies are so overused and you can spot it a mile away that not only will it rely on generic type casting but also a lot of ecchi. The student body council rules with an iron fist... like I've never heard that before.

I'm pretty sure they're aware of that, though. What Trigger's doing with it is making the generic setting they've taken into something bombastic and over-the-top that has effectively resulted into the majority of the viewers not giving a single damn of how cliche its premise is because the execution is explosive.

That's why we've already discussed before that the fanbase of KLK is mostly focused on those who already know the tropes that KLK's put a twist on. It's not my cup of tea, as well, but I'm just arguing that Trigger knows their stuff and is implementing the 'generic' premise in it for a reason.
Oct 6, 2013 4:32 AM

Apr 2012
I'm pretty sure this anime will do well and be a big hit but I highly doubt it can make non anime watchers watch it like SnK did. Lets not kid ourselves here when the fact of the matter is that school settings are somewhat limited and tied down following a format we've seen countless times. KLK will have its compelling characters and their back stories and will have some memorable fight scene that would make us go "wow" but I highly doubt it make people crave for the next episode like SnK did. Fighting for survival against enemies that are bent on eating you into extinction has a heavier plot line than group of kids struggling against bullies. Here are a couple: Ikkitousen and Tenjou Tenge. There are more out there with similar settings and I don't see anything unique with this one.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Oct 6, 2013 5:18 AM

Dec 2012
Kill la Kill will definitely be an anime to remember this year and probably make it to most people's top 5 or even top 3 but surpassing Attack on Titan is an enormous stretch. Even reaching the same level as AoT is highly unlikely. Kill la Kill has a fair amount of hype surround it but AoT was ridiculously popular, almost everyone in the anime community was watching it. Unless Kill la Kill can reach the same level of quality and popularity as its predecessor Gurren Lagann then it won't beat Attack on Titan.
Oct 6, 2013 4:21 PM
Sep 2013
Janethan23 said:
Will it be famous? YES
Surpass SnK? NO

Interesting. I still wonder though, which one will be AoTY.
Oct 6, 2013 5:04 PM
Sep 2009
I personally don't understand why everyone is going crazy over Kill la Kill.

I see nothing outstanding at all. Animation is weird and things are all over the place =/

But then again I never liked Guren Lagan which has same style and is still popular.
Oct 6, 2013 5:38 PM
Jan 2013
What kind of question is this? SnK will definitely surpass Kill La Kill
Oct 6, 2013 7:05 PM
Feb 2008
Kill La Kill is more comedic so it won't be as popular as SnK. Half the hype for that show is the sheer amount of melodrama that happens due to how serious it tries to be even though the show just seems illogical if you think about it.

As for anime of the year it depends on your taste. If you like really serious shit, Titan, if you love old school kungfu apocalyptic stuff but with funny shit thrown in, Kill.
Oct 6, 2013 7:09 PM
Sep 2013
Janethan23 said:
I'm pretty sure this anime will do well and be a big hit but I highly doubt it can make non anime watchers watch it like SnK did. Lets not kid ourselves here when the fact of the matter is that school settings are somewhat limited and tied down following a format we've seen countless times. KLK will have its compelling characters and their back stories and will have some memorable fight scene that would make us go "wow" but I highly doubt it make people crave for the next episode like SnK did. Fighting for survival against enemies that are bent on eating you into extinction has a heavier plot line than group of kids struggling against bullies. Here are a couple: Ikkitousen and Tenjou Tenge. There are more out there with similar settings and I don't see anything unique with this one.

I....actually agree with you here. :P
Oct 6, 2013 7:11 PM

Sep 2011
how about we wait for more than 1 episode of supposedly 24 episodes before we even consider either of those questions

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 3, 2013 8:57 PM
Nov 2013
I agree that SnK would win against KLK but i hate those F***ing retards that says that the art or animation of KLK sucks

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

42 by BETTY_ »»
Apr 24, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 25, 2013

971 by Confessor0 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.