Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 30, 2013 6:42 AM
Jul 2018
I was thinking of getting a Chromebook for college to do my work on the go and what not, and I was wondering if that'd be a good idea?

I have a desktop too (albeit not a very good one), so I wouldn't be stuck with the Chrome OS and not having access to things like Skype and iTunes, for example.

Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated! ^~^
Sep 30, 2013 8:05 AM

Mar 2012
I've always hated Chrome OS/Chromium OS. Just buy a regular notebook and use the programs you like instead of relying only on web applications.
Sep 30, 2013 8:11 AM
Jul 2018
Would I really need the programs that I already have on my desktop in class? It'd basically be just for documents and working while out of class and not at home on my desktop :s
Sep 30, 2013 8:54 AM

Mar 2012
The working part is relative to what you're going to work in. Regarding the documents, if you like google docs then there's no issue (outside of the quality of your school's network).
Sep 30, 2013 8:57 AM
Jul 2018
well, depends on the softwares you need. I would still recommend a windows based notebook until chrome OS is powerful enough
Sep 30, 2013 12:53 PM
Jul 2018
I guess I'll think about it some more then, thanks guys :3
Sep 30, 2013 4:13 PM

Feb 2013
If you're looking for something small and portable for school, but end up deciding you want something with Windows, pick up a Surface RT.

Comes preloaded with Office 2013, is more durable than most laptops (32GB and 64GB SSDs with optional MicroSD expansion, so no worries about HDDs with moving parts), easy to carry and ideal for getting work done. Plus, even though you can't install any software other than what comes in the Windows Store, it still has plenty of entertainment value. And the battery life is great. With only minor use, I was able to go a whole month on a single charge with my power settings.

But it's not a powerhouse, that's what the Surface Pro is for. The RT's main focus is productivity. I'm only recommending it to you based on what you said.

I also own one and despite all the trash talk it gets, it's a solid system.

You can also get it bundled with the touch cover (thin, spill resistant keyboard that doubles as a cover) for around $400 USD.
NTADSep 30, 2013 4:26 PM
Sep 30, 2013 5:41 PM
Sep 2013
Please understand what you're getting when you buy one. It is a small computer with an ARM processor, this is much different from an x86 processor and cannot run x86 software. You cannot run windows software if that's what you intend to do.

By default these come with ChromeOS, which an extremely horrible locked down version of GNU/Linux and really shouldn't be compared with actual linux. This is basically for people who just want a browser.

Personally I think chromebooks were marketed at the wrong people. They needed to be marketed at enthusiasts who wanted a very cheap and small/portable ARM laptop to run linux on and do small tasks. The crowd they got was people saying "y this so shit it not even run .exe installerr wtf?". This is mainly google's fault.

If you know what it is and still want one, by all means go ahead.

Ntad said:
If you're looking for something small and portable for school, but end up deciding you want something with Windows, pick up a Surface RT.

Comes preloaded with Office 2013, is more durable than most laptops (32GB and 64GB SSDs with optional MicroSD expansion, so no worries about HDDs with moving parts), easy to carry and ideal for getting work done. Plus, even though you can't install any software other than what comes in the Windows Store, it still has plenty of entertainment value. And the battery life is great. With only minor use, I was able to go a whole month on a single charge with my power settings.

But it's not a powerhouse, that's what the Surface Pro is for. The RT's main focus is productivity. I'm only recommending it to you based on what you said.

You can also get it bundled with the touch cover (thin, spill resistant keyboard that doubles as a cover) for around $400 USD.

I played with a surface RT before. Biggest piece of crap IMO. Secureboot CANNOT be turned off, and it can only boot operating systems designed by microsoft. This honestly should be illegal.

Even if someone made an ARM program for Windows RT, you wouldn't be able to install it, you can only install stuff from the windows store. That's just unacceptable to me. The whole thing is microsoftified. You're only allowed to install what microsoft wants you to install, and only allowed to use your computer the way microsoft allows you to use your computer. When you buy a surface RT, you basically don't actually even own the computer, Microsoft does.
Sep 30, 2013 5:44 PM

Feb 2013
rm00 said:
Please understand what you're getting when you buy one. It is a small computer with an ARM processor, this is much different from an x86 processor and cannot run x86 software. You cannot run windows software if that's what you intend to do.

By default these come with ChromeOS, which an extremely horrible locked down version of GNU/Linux and really shouldn't be compared with actual linux. This is basically for people who just want a browser.

Personally I think chromebooks were marketed at the wrong people. They needed to be marketed at enthusiasts who wanted a very cheap and small/portable ARM laptop to run linux on and do small tasks. The crowd they got was people saying "y this so shit it not even run .exe installerr wtf?". This is mainly google's fault.

If you know what it is and still want one, by all means go ahead.

Ntad said:

I played with a surface RT before. Biggest piece of crap IMO. Secureboot CANNOT be turned off, and it can only boot operating systems designed by microsoft. This honestly should be illegal.

Even if someone made an ARM program for Windows RT, you wouldn't be able to install it, you can only install stuff from the windows store. That's just unacceptable to me. The whole thing is microsoftified. You're only allowed to install what microsoft wants you to install, and only allowed to use your computer the way microsoft allows you to use your computer. When you buy a surface RT, you basically don't actually even own the computer, Microsoft does.

Design something unlocked and open source and market it to the world, then.

Your complaint is virtually centered on not being able to mod the system. The fuck kind of shit is that? At least it doesn't restrict your data transfer ability like lolApple does with iTunes.

I knew full well what the Surface RT was and was capable of before I picked it up (before it was even launched for that matter) and I only recommended it to the guy because it fits his needs anyway.
NTADSep 30, 2013 5:53 PM
Sep 30, 2013 6:05 PM
Sep 2013

Not really talking about "modding", but really just stuff you should be able to do on a computer that you "own". If you don't care about that stuff, you should.

Yes I know Apple does stuff like that too on iOS devices. I have my fair share of complaints about that though too.
Sep 30, 2013 6:13 PM

Feb 2013
rm00 said:

Not really talking about "modding", but really just stuff you should be able to do on a computer that you "own". If you don't care about that stuff, you should.

Yes I know Apple does stuff like that too on iOS devices. I have my fair share of complaints about that though too.

I care and I understand what you mean. But you can't complain about somebody's product when they flat-out explained from the beginning that they were designing it for a specific purpose (referring to the ARM developer's conference). The Surface RT, for what I use it for, does it quite well. It is by far one of the most versatile tablets I have used and while it isn't as open as Android, it's pros far outweigh the cons. But that might just be me. I'm probably one of the only people on the planet who takes care of his fucking electronics and never has a problem with them.

And there's always the Surface Pro, which, if you can get by the price-point will give you the greater freedom that you're looking for...not sure about SecureBoot though, as I've only ever had luck disabling that on desktops/laptops. Never tried on a Surface Pro, but then, I don't have one.
NTADSep 30, 2013 6:16 PM

More topics from this board

» total games on your steam library ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 22

57 by KenaiPhoenix »»
3 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3564 by Nette »»
Today, 1:22 AM

» Any paradox games fans here?

D5rkUnl0ck3r - May 12

10 by Alpha-Nine »»
Yesterday, 4:21 PM

» Favorite gaming cover art?

Nette - Apr 25

14 by Galletita »»
Yesterday, 7:56 AM

» What are your PC specs

ST63LTH - May 5

16 by SnipeStrike »»
Yesterday, 7:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.