Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Do you like Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan?
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 15, 2013 7:28 PM

Jun 2007
HalfMetalJacket said:
I don't get the point of your argument. Removing anything good about a series will only leave the bad behind. The audio is the positive. Of course its going to be bad if you remove, its a part of the experience.

The music and placement of it has had such an impact that, without it, it'd be an entirely different show. Take the tension added by the female titan chase at the end of ep18 as an example: the build-up to Annie being shown; the quick stop-start the music did when Annie squashed the two reinforcements... it wasn't the video so much as it was the audio that sent chills down my spine. Another recent example would be when Eren decided to sit on Annie for a few mins in ep21: the way the music gradually pumped up, along with his speech, made it only a minor complaint that Eren wasted time monologuing.

What I'm trying to say is that the music/voice acting scores an easy 10/10 whilst the other aspects score lower. That's all. Nothing terribly complicated. And while this may differ from person to person, I'd be surprised if you could find someone that wouldn't go with audio as Shingeki's single most impressive aspect out of story, characters, animation, etc.
Sep 15, 2013 7:36 PM

Dec 2011
AironicallyHuman said:
A mature person can be objective. An idiot can't. Ya'll should keep this in your mind's eye.

I love/d the manga. I love parts of the anime. But, overall, it's nowhere near polished enough as an adaptation to be worthy of the highest praise. It's small-minded to look at, say, ep21 then ignore the episodes where nothing happened/nothing was animated.

There's nothing to argue about: the music and audio in general has carried the show over its weaker moments. Without the audio side... not pretty.

I feel that if instead of aiming to make this as long as they could for a first season and took off a couple eps.. So instead of 25 eps maybe 21-23, they could've improved the pacing by a lot a gotten rid of those unnessacary filler parts and fixed it so there weren't those eps were almost nothing happened..

Also I agree, I love the show but I am personally tired of people only looking at the good and refusing to admit the flaws. Those fans that act like it is the perfect adaption and try to justify every thing that contradicts that.. Yes, it's a good adaption but it is no where near perfect.
Sep 15, 2013 7:47 PM

Jul 2013
AironicallyHuman said:
HalfMetalJacket said:
I don't get the point of your argument. Removing anything good about a series will only leave the bad behind. The audio is the positive. Of course its going to be bad if you remove, its a part of the experience.

The music and placement of it has had such an impact that, without it, it'd be an entirely different show. Take the tension added by the female titan chase at the end of ep18 as an example: the build-up to Annie being shown; the quick stop-start the music did when Annie squashed the two reinforcements... it wasn't the video so much as it was the audio that sent chills down my spine. Another recent example would be when Eren decided to sit on Annie for a few mins in ep21: the way the music gradually pumped up, along with his speech, made it only a minor complaint that Eren wasted time monologuing.

What I'm trying to say is that the music/voice acting scores an easy 10/10 whilst the other aspects score lower. That's all. Nothing terribly complicated. And while this may differ from person to person, I'd be surprised if you could find someone that wouldn't go with audio as Shingeki's single most impressive aspect out of story, characters, animation, etc.

Main point is; Remove everything good (OST for example) and your left with everything else. Lose the stunning animation sequences for that matter, and you don't have much to praise for this adaption. You can apply this to anything really.

Not an adaption, but remove Cowboy Bebop's OST and you've got random scenes that seem time wasting without OST. So much for an audiovisual masterpiece. It wouldn't be so touted. Not that I hate it though, having a blast with it.

Heck, its the same as watching a horror movie in broad day light while muted.

Seems we were agreeing on the same thing then again. Argument was pointless.
Deconstruction ≠ Darker & Edgier
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Fanservice ≠ Ecchi (Though ecchi can please the fans!)
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe
Seinen = K-ON! Shounen, Shoujo, Seinen and Josei are demographics.
Anime/Manga = Japanese Cartoons! Deal with it.

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Sep 15, 2013 7:57 PM
Sep 2013
grumpytoast said:
AironicallyHuman said:
A mature person can be objective. An idiot can't. Ya'll should keep this in your mind's eye.

I love/d the manga. I love parts of the anime. But, overall, it's nowhere near polished enough as an adaptation to be worthy of the highest praise. It's small-minded to look at, say, ep21 then ignore the episodes where nothing happened/nothing was animated.

There's nothing to argue about: the music and audio in general has carried the show over its weaker moments. Without the audio side... not pretty.

I feel that if instead of aiming to make this as long as they could for a first season and took off a couple eps.. So instead of 25 eps maybe 21-23, they could've improved the pacing by a lot a gotten rid of those unnessacary filler parts and fixed it so there weren't those eps were almost nothing happened..

Also I agree, I love the show but I am personally tired of people only looking at the good and refusing to admit the flaws. Those fans that act like it is the perfect adaption and try to justify every thing that contradicts that.. Yes, it's a good adaption but it is no where near perfect.

I agree it just hurts the show and future shows to not give any criticism to producers who will do whatever they can get away with..

I just can't get into the show when i know what's going on behind the scenes and that it's about to end in a cliff hanger 10 minutes before the show ends...

and ya every show's flawed.. but the best ones have very few.
Sep 15, 2013 8:07 PM

Jul 2013
A1B2C3 said:
grumpytoast said:
AironicallyHuman said:

I agree it just hurts the show and future shows to not give any criticism to producers who will do whatever they can get away with..

I just can't get into the show when i know what's going on behind the scenes and that it's about to end in a cliff hanger 10 minutes before the show ends...

You know of spoilers already? If not, then the cliffhanger really might catch you off guard, just saying.

Criticism is how things get better in the first place. Hopefully the Studio acknowledges some niggles and will do what they can to make the second season better. Hopefully the studio keeps our criticisms in mind when the second season comes out. Hope for better pacing and more consistent animation quality (they've got years to make it now, no excuses).
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Sep 15, 2013 8:33 PM
Sep 2013
HalfMetalJacket said:
A1B2C3 said:
grumpytoast said:
AironicallyHuman said:

You know of spoilers already? If not, then the cliffhanger really might catch you off guard, just saying.

Criticism is how things get better in the first place. Hopefully the Studio acknowledges some niggles and will do what they can to make the second season better. Hopefully the studio keeps our criticisms in mind when the second season comes out. Hope for better pacing and more consistent animation quality (they've got years to make it now, no excuses).

No spoilers I can just tell by the pacing and how there's tons of suspenseful themes happening and how much has happened before. But no not always, sometime I get drawn in then get that feeling at the end where it's like "WOW COOL WHAT"RE THEY GONNA DO". It's just after getting a feel of how things flow... you know...

Though this is kind of a silly point and not really a big deal now that I think about it. I was more making a point of what's going on behind the scenes and how all the pacing is constructed to draw stuff out etc..etc...

Anyways ya Hopefully the studio acknowledges stuff like you say. Though I don't know if i'll mind either way i've kind of lost interest in this show and will probably not even finish the next 2 episodes.

I feel if i talked about code geass this much while watching it it might have ruined the series slightly... idk i've never talked much about anime to anyone... do you talk about every show you watch while it airs?
Sep 15, 2013 8:34 PM
Sep 2013
Nvm i see you've watched very little.
Sep 15, 2013 8:39 PM

Jul 2013
A1B2C3 said:

I'm trying to remember what I've watched, so yeah, the list is small. Wouldn't get much bigger either. I wouldn't change my score for SNK though, regardless of how much I've watched.

Are you going disregard everything I've said now? Just because my list is small, you think my perspective is?
HalfMetalPriestSep 15, 2013 8:43 PM
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Sep 15, 2013 9:56 PM
Sep 2013
HalfMetalJacket said:
A1B2C3 said:

I'm trying to remember what I've watched, so yeah, the list is small. Wouldn't get much bigger either. I wouldn't change my score for SNK though, regardless of how much I've watched.

Are you going disregard everything I've said now? Just because my list is small, you think my perspective is?

Nononono I was just saying that for the question "do you talk about every show you watch while it airs?" Seeing as you've seen so little i though the question wouldn't be answerable due to not watching much as they aired.

I definitely respect and agree with most of what you have said.
Sep 15, 2013 10:11 PM

Jul 2013
A1B2C3 said:
HalfMetalJacket said:
A1B2C3 said:

Nononono I was just saying that for the question "do you talk about every show you watch while it airs?" Seeing as you've seen so little i though the question wouldn't be answerable due to not watching much as they aired.

I definitely respect and agree with most of what you have said.

Wouldn't blame you if you doubted me though. I try my best to remain open.
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Sep 15, 2013 11:46 PM
Oct 2010
I don't like it, the pacing is whack.
Sep 16, 2013 2:45 AM

Jun 2008
A1B2C3 said:
HalfMetalJacket said:
A1B2C3 said:
Jinkuro said:
The pacing could have been a lot better, but i'd rather have a slow paced show and get a full second season tbh.

Why? That's just a waste of time for poorly told 2 seasons... sounds like you are a shounen never ending story guy..

The slow pacing, slight filler and recaps are necessary weasels to allow the first season of SNK to end the best way possible to pave the way for season 2. When season 2 comes out, hopefully there is enough material to avoid the same draggy issues of the first season.

By upping the pace, removing long recaps and taking away slight filler, the consequences are MUCH worse than slow pacing. Remember Naruto? The anime series eventually wound up catching up with the manga. Filler arcs followed. Not going to say the rest. The same thing will happen to SNK if they try to up the pace. Still going to end the anime in 25 episodes anyway for season 2? Well you've just run into a quarter of a new arc ahead of the current one, leaving an iffy season conclusion.

Don't worry man, you've pointed out a perfectly reasonable issue with the series. Trost Arc being the obvious offender. But keep in mind what I've stated, and you'll see why it must be done.

I get why it's being done, and you admit it's flawed, so why is it in the top 10?

I'm in no way an action buff btw. and naruto isn't a good example of good story telling.. the manga is still shounen - i.e. drag it out as long as possible.

I don't consider this story shounen, it's more action, adventure, mystery with shounen pacing. Not the manga though. - that depends how it plays out but I do believe they have answers to these questions.

Estherella said:

That is the actual flaw of the story. Not just the anime but the SNK manga is a very slow paced and slow developed story. Didn't notice it in the manga but when you see an anime version of the adapted series, the flaws becomes really visible. When you mentioned whether some of us viewers were frustrated about it, well, i'm actually used to it because i know how slow the story progresses. I'm not irritated at all because i'm used to slow paced story. :X

I read the manga and it's way faster paced than the anime. Also the anime has fillers. Also it tries really hard to make the conversations as long as possible taking pauses and trying to get to the end for a cliff hanger.

Again I am enjoying it mare than hating it I just don't see how it's considered top tier production...

Why do you still give it a 10 when you understand all these flaws and understand that the pacing is "the actual flaw of the story."?

Just wondering your reasoning, you don't seem to give them out easily.

That is because i'm a loyal mangareader to the original series. I've seen many adaptions in the past but all of them sunk the boat for me. Regardless of those flaws that you've mentioned, so what? It doesn't really change the fact i thoroughly enjoyed it with all my heart and it was the greatest thing that i could wish for. I'm not elitist or some sort of critical reviewer. Why is rating relevant to this? You like, you like. You don't so you don't. It' just that simple. I love aspects of the shows that people don't. One of the reason why i like SNK so much was because i have a thing for apocalypse series and this is one of the very few apocalypse series that i think conveyed the effect of despair and hopelessness really well. I also like how the series provide some insights that are relevant to our world. Not to mention, those lengthy dialogues in SNK is one of the aspect of the show that i actually enjoyed because it tells me something about their values, attitudes and beliefs in their universe. Though, it should be shorten as some people have already said.

You are also severely mistaken if you think the pacing in the manga is any better than the anime contents itself. I've already seen people complaining about the pacing and the story being dragged on. There's a difference between reading manga and watching anime. In manga, you can read as fast as you want but you may not necessary be able to identify the issues with pacing. These are some of the things that a lot of people think so as well. It's not just me in that regard. There are already people who quit reading the manga because it was very slow-paced. It was actually the main reason why i placed SNK on hold as well for two years because i couldn't stand the pacing. Even at the start of the series, the pacing itself was pretty bad in the manga. I thought the first few chapter was incredibly rushed and you can really tell that the author was pretty new to this. The story-telling wasn't as effective and great either and it was very confusing but these aspects improve as the series progresses particularly during the female titan arc. There are a lot more flaws that i could point out in regard to other aspects of the series but the positive side of it has redeemed itself for the negative aspects.

Take in mind that the studio is pretty new as well so i applaud them for going so far. There are no series that are PERFECT. None at all. But then again, if there wasn't any other good animation or good music, i probable wouldn't be able to give the same ratings as i have now. Every series have a flaw even the most regarded and highest scored series on MAL. Not to mention, i use a very high rating system where i normally rate anything between a 7-10. To me, it's just impossible for there to be any series that are so bad to the point that it's unwatchable. Maybe except for a few series. If i were to rate every series based on pacing, then some of the ones that i regarded as masterpiece will never deserve the rating they have noe. I've read a handful of manga and anime that are very slow paced series so i don't have these issues at all as i've mentioned.

P.S- Also, can people stop treating fans as blind idiots? Just because they are a fan of something, it does not mean they are just blind fanboys. Honestly, fans are not stupid, you know. Even though i'm a big fan of SNK, i recognize those flaws.
EstherellaSep 16, 2013 3:09 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 16, 2013 4:46 AM

Dec 2011
Estherella said:
A1B2C3 said:
HalfMetalJacket said:
A1B2C3 said:
Jinkuro said:
The pacing could have been a lot better, but i'd rather have a slow paced show and get a full second season tbh.

Why? That's just a waste of time for poorly told 2 seasons... sounds like you are a shounen never ending story guy..

The slow pacing, slight filler and recaps are necessary weasels to allow the first season of SNK to end the best way possible to pave the way for season 2. When season 2 comes out, hopefully there is enough material to avoid the same draggy issues of the first season.

By upping the pace, removing long recaps and taking away slight filler, the consequences are MUCH worse than slow pacing. Remember Naruto? The anime series eventually wound up catching up with the manga. Filler arcs followed. Not going to say the rest. The same thing will happen to SNK if they try to up the pace. Still going to end the anime in 25 episodes anyway for season 2? Well you've just run into a quarter of a new arc ahead of the current one, leaving an iffy season conclusion.

Don't worry man, you've pointed out a perfectly reasonable issue with the series. Trost Arc being the obvious offender. But keep in mind what I've stated, and you'll see why it must be done.

I get why it's being done, and you admit it's flawed, so why is it in the top 10?

I'm in no way an action buff btw. and naruto isn't a good example of good story telling.. the manga is still shounen - i.e. drag it out as long as possible.

I don't consider this story shounen, it's more action, adventure, mystery with shounen pacing. Not the manga though. - that depends how it plays out but I do believe they have answers to these questions.

Estherella said:

That is the actual flaw of the story. Not just the anime but the SNK manga is a very slow paced and slow developed story. Didn't notice it in the manga but when you see an anime version of the adapted series, the flaws becomes really visible. When you mentioned whether some of us viewers were frustrated about it, well, i'm actually used to it because i know how slow the story progresses. I'm not irritated at all because i'm used to slow paced story. :X

I read the manga and it's way faster paced than the anime. Also the anime has fillers. Also it tries really hard to make the conversations as long as possible taking pauses and trying to get to the end for a cliff hanger.

Again I am enjoying it mare than hating it I just don't see how it's considered top tier production...

Why do you still give it a 10 when you understand all these flaws and understand that the pacing is "the actual flaw of the story."?

That is because i'm a loyal mangareader to the original series. I've seen many adaptions in the past but all of them sunk the boat for me. Regardless of those flaws that you've mentioned, so what? It doesn't really change the fact i thoroughly enjoyed it with all my heart and it was the greatest thing that i could wish for. I'm not elitist or some sort of critical reviewer. Why is rating relevant to this? You like, you like. You don't so you don't. It' just that simple. I love aspects of the shows that people don't. One of the reason why i like SNK so much was because i have a thing for apocalypse series and this is one of the very few apocalypse series that i think conveyed the effect of despair and hopelessness really well. I also like how the series provide some insights that are relevant to our world. Not to mention, those lengthy dialogues in SNK is one of the aspect of the show that i actually enjoyed because it tells me something about their values, attitudes and beliefs in their universe. Though, it should be shorten as some people have already said.

You are also severely mistaken if you think the pacing in the manga is any better than the anime contents itself. I've already seen people complaining about the pacing and the story being dragged on. There's a difference between reading manga and watching anime. In manga, you can read as fast as you want but you may not necessary be able to identify the issues with pacing. These are some of the things that a lot of people think so as well. It's not just me in that regard. There are already people who quit reading the manga because it was very slow-paced. It was actually the main reason why i placed SNK on hold as well for two years because i couldn't stand the pacing. Even at the start of the series, the pacing itself was pretty bad in the manga. I thought the first few chapter was incredibly rushed and you can really tell that the author was pretty new to this. The story-telling wasn't as effective and great either and it was very confusing but these aspects improve as the series progresses particularly during the female titan arc. There are a lot more flaws that i could point out in regard to other aspects of the series but the positive side of it has redeemed itself for the negative aspects.

Take in mind that the studio is pretty new as well so i applaud them for going so far. There are no series that are PERFECT. None at all. But then again, if there wasn't any other good animation or good music, i probable wouldn't be able to give the same ratings as i have now. Every series have a flaw even the most regarded and highest scored series on MAL. Not to mention, i use a very high rating system where i normally rate anything between a 7-10. To me, it's just impossible for there to be any series that are so bad to the point that it's unwatchable. Maybe except for a few series. If i were to rate every series based on pacing, then some of the ones that i regarded as masterpiece will never deserve the rating they have noe. I've read a handful of manga and anime that are very slow paced series so i don't have these issues at all as i've mentioned.

P.S- Also, can people stop treating fans as blind idiots? Just because they are a fan of something, it does not mean they are just blind fanboys. Honestly, fans are not stupid, you know. Even though i'm a big fan of SNK, i recognize those flaws.

It's not so much as treating every fan as a blind fanboy but those fans that try so hard to knock down the fact that it has faults and cover up and deny that it does.. And trust me there are many fans for snk especially who do this and try to find every mean possible to justify any faults..

The pacing in the manga isn't the best.. But it is still better than the anime.. The anime purposely draws out scenes and dialogues... They even add scenes that are totally uneccasary to the story and the characters and some of the added scenes don't even make sense.. Like the ep with them leaving the forest I wonder it the animators even thought it through or if they just wanted some sorta sob story, what ever their reason it ruined the nice pacing the previous eps had (in my opinion).. Some instances they even go as far as to cut scenes from the manga and then add their own in order to justify what is going on in their version instead of just sticking to the original (they cut several moments important to Annie's character growth and relationship to eren and then later in the series added their own which change the outlook on Annie's character)..

I agree with you there are no series that are perfect.. Every series has flaws including snk and pacing is one of them.. Not to say that it ruins the series or anything.. No way, its still very enjoyable and I myself will probably give it a high 7 or an 8 depending on how they decide to end it... But you all should just accept that some people don't like the pacing and their opinion on that shouldn't detract from you enjoying the series or them enjoying the series as a whole.
Sep 16, 2013 5:13 AM

Jun 2008
grumpytoast said:
Estherella said:
A1B2C3 said:
HalfMetalJacket said:
A1B2C3 said:
Jinkuro said:

Estherella said:

It's not so much as treating every fan as a blind fanboy but those fans that try so hard to knock down the fact that it has faults and cover up and deny that it does.. And trust me there are many fans for snk especially who do this and try to find every mean possible to justify any faults..

The pacing in the manga isn't the best.. But it is still better than the anime.. The anime purposely draws out scenes and dialogues... They even add scenes that are totally uneccasary to the story and the characters and some of the added scenes don't even make sense.. Like the ep with them leaving the forest I wonder it the animators even thought it through or if they just wanted some sorta sob story, what ever their reason it ruined the nice pacing the previous eps had (in my opinion).. Some instances they even go as far as to cut scenes from the manga and then add their own in order to justify what is going on in their version instead of just sticking to the original (they cut several moments important to Annie's character growth and relationship to eren and then later in the series added their own which change the outlook on Annie's character)..

I agree with you there are no series that are perfect.. Every series has flaws including snk and pacing is one of them.. Not to say that it ruins the series or anything.. No way, its still very enjoyable and I myself will probably give it a high 7 or an 8 depending on how they decide to end it... But you all should just accept that some people don't like the pacing and their opinion on that shouldn't detract from you enjoying the series or them enjoying the series as a whole.

That's SOME. Seriously, it's really ignorant to say that just because you met some that are blind, other fans are automatically assumed to be the same as well. I actually seen lot and lot of idiots like that who just insult the fanbase and hate on the series, does that mean all of them are like that? No, i don't think so. I don't understand this logic at all. These sort of fans appears on every series why limit it to a certain series? But that's a whole another issue. Plus, i don't see anything wrong or bad with defending the series if they have a good justification. It's those that are unreasonable and unjustified that can't be taken seriously. If i were to insult other series without a reason, other fans would defend the series with good justification as well. Defending the series =/= Being blind and fanboyism. Just because you're criticizing the series =/= hater. Same deal!

But you're right about everyone have their own opinions and all i've been doing was expressing my opinions. What i was trying to address to the person i was replying to was that MY RATINGS or whoever's ratings should not have matter in the first place. Everyone have their own way of rating and opinions and I don't see why everyone should rate the way just because someone said you should yet. Yet, here i am trying to justify why i gave it a 10 because i was questioned. To be honest, why really bother? Why does it matter to another person how i rate? =_=

It's not about accepting opinions but rather it's about respecting other people's opinions. Why should people have to explain why he/she don't like a certain something? They don't like it so be it, some do so be it. Nothing's wrong with that.

EstherellaSep 16, 2013 6:42 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 16, 2013 10:01 AM
Sep 2013
Estherella said:
grumpytoast said:
Estherella said:
A1B2C3 said:
HalfMetalJacket said:
A1B2C3 said:
Jinkuro said:

Estherella said:

That's SOME. Seriously, it's really ignorant to say that just because you met some that are blind, other fans are automatically assumed to be the same as well. I actually seen lot and lot of idiots like that who just insult the fanbase and hate on the series, does that mean all of them are like that? No, i don't think so. I don't understand this logic at all. These sort of fans appears on every series why limit it to a certain series? But that's a whole another issue. Plus, i don't see anything wrong or bad with defending the series if they have a good justification. It's those that are unreasonable and unjustified that can't be taken seriously. If i were to insult other series without a reason, other fans would defend the series with good justification as well. Defending the series =/= Being blind and fanboyism. Just because you're criticizing the series =/= hater. Same deal!

But you're right about everyone have their own opinions and all i've been doing was expressing my opinions. What i was trying to address to the person i was replying to was that MY RATINGS or whoever's ratings should not have matter in the first place. Everyone have their own way of rating and opinions and I don't see why everyone should rate the way just because someone said you should yet. Yet, here i am trying to justify why i gave it a 10 because i was questioned. To be honest, why really bother? Why does it matter to another person how i rate? =_=

It's not about accepting opinions but rather it's about respecting other people's opinions. Why should people have to explain why he/she don't like a certain something? They don't like it so be it, some do so be it. Nothing's wrong with that.

All right, well I got my answer anyways. People have different ways they see the rating system of 1-10.
And I understand that it's only some/few people who practice crazy fanboyism. then there's you who actually gives constructive criticism and is a fan.

I'm out, you silly geese
Sep 16, 2013 11:16 AM

Sep 2013
Favorite.
This series is breathtaking,people who dont like it are either narrowviewignorant and never gave it a chance(mainly because in their imaginary minds they think they´re too cool for mainstream anime) or just cant mentally understand how well this was made.

Hands down Masterpiece 10/10
Sep 16, 2013 6:43 PM

Dec 2011
A1B2C3 said:
Estherella said:
grumpytoast said:
Estherella said:
A1B2C3 said:
HalfMetalJacket said:
A1B2C3 said:
Jinkuro said:

Estherella said:

All right, well I got my answer anyways. People have different ways they see the rating system of 1-10.
And I understand that it's only some/few people who practice crazy fanboyism. then there's you who actually gives constructive criticism and is a fan.

I'm out, you silly geese

I didn't mean for it to come out that way.. I know not every fan is an over the top fanboy and I know snk isn't the only series that has them.. I'm not trying to hold every one here to the same standards of fanboyism... It's just there are some (not all) and there is nothing wrong with justifying a series you like but some of them do it blindly and refuse to admit its faults...

I don't mind anyone giving it a ten.. It's your choice and opinion on the show.. Even I have shows that I know have faults and that others don't rate as highly of as me but the over all amount I enjoy the series has me giving it a ten..

I'm just tired of some of the fans (not you and not all) that act like its the most perfect god sent thing ever and practically worship the series and refuse to see its faults..

But whatever.. If they want to do that they can.. I don't really care anymore.. Haha some of the theories they come up with are crazy though and I wonder if some people are actually reading the story or just skipping over to parts they like aha
Sep 16, 2013 7:51 PM

Jul 2013
Let us fans who understand the flaws of this series be buddies! No need to argue, we're like minded fellas after all. The real enemies are the mindless haters and blind fans that waste our oxygen! We must unite good fellows and stand against the hordes!

On a more serious note, those quotes. Quote towers I mean. Can you spoiler it to save room next time? Thank you in advance.
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Sep 16, 2013 10:15 PM

Jun 2013
There's nothing I don't like about this series.
Sep 16, 2013 10:46 PM

May 2012
Voted no by accident. Read only the topic title instead of the poll question before voting lol.

Anyway, of course there are people that dislike it and even though I'm not one of them, I agree that the show has some flaws. Despite those flaws though, the show had me gripped by episode 1 and has not let go.
Sep 16, 2013 11:24 PM

Jul 2013
Manderton said:
Read a few chapters of the manga and decided it wasn't my thing.

The beginning of the manga isn't well executed tbh. First and esecond episode does it justice.
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Sep 17, 2013 12:43 AM

Jun 2008
grumpytoast said:
I didn't mean for it to come out that way.. I know not every fan is an over the top fanboy and I know snk isn't the only series that has them.. I'm not trying to hold every one here to the same standards of fanboyism... It's just there are some (not all) and there is nothing wrong with justifying a series you like but some of them do it blindly and refuse to admit its faults...

I don't mind anyone giving it a ten.. It's your choice and opinion on the show.. Even I have shows that I know have faults and that others don't rate as highly of as me but the over all amount I enjoy the series has me giving it a ten..

I'm just tired of some of the fans (not you and not all) that act like its the most perfect god sent thing ever and practically worship the series and refuse to see its faults..

But whatever.. If they want to do that they can.. I don't really care anymore.. Haha some of the theories they come up with are crazy though and I wonder if some people are actually reading the story or just skipping over to parts they like aha

Sorry for misinterpreting your response and overreacting as well :X It's just that the way you phrased makes it sound like that. It's just that I'm really really sick and tired of ignorant people that are quick to judge whenever it comes to fanbase and it's the most stupid thing ever seemingly as a few fanboys represent thousands of fans out there. Sometime, i even wonder if they are actually fans at all seemingly as though some are deliberately ticking people off. Either way, It's just really unfair to those fans that actually genuinely loves and acknowledge the flaws of the series to have their points and discussion to be condemned into sheer fanboyism by others, especially when there are people who spent an hour trying to justify their points. .-.

There are certainly some really whacky theories that came out of nowhere, though i'm not really surprised. Many of my friends who read SNK only read for the sake of reading it rather than making an attempts to actually understand the story or even picking up the clues. That's also the main reason why many people did not figure out who the female titan was even in the manga unlike the anime where everything was just too obvious. I guess it's too much of an effort for some people to even bother doing that. There are some really good analysis and theories on the other hand in some of the forums though and they are an interesting read.
Sep 17, 2013 12:48 AM

Jun 2008
HalfMetalJacket said:
Manderton said:
Read a few chapters of the manga and decided it wasn't my thing.

The beginning of the manga isn't well executed tbh. First and esecond episode does it justice.

Not going to lie but the first few chapters of the manga were pretty shit in terms of story telling but the plot kept me interested and i only began to immerse into the story at Female Titan arc. The first few episodes of the anime does the manga justice and improved the quality a lot.
Dec 7, 2013 5:07 AM
Dec 2013
I know I'm late on this post but only reason I dislike the show is because there were many times that the characters were screaming and arguing with epic music playing with very little action lol. Reason was because I was told the anime was action pack. Stop watching it and came back when season was finished.
Dec 9, 2013 7:23 AM

Jul 2013
^^Having the show bombarded by lots of action would be disastrous, IMO. The anime team did a great job (except the fantastic last episode, damn that was disappointing)
Dec 9, 2013 7:31 AM

Jul 2008
Damn it!! >.< I read the thread title which state 'dislike' so I immediately enter the thread and vote 'no' only to discover the poll question state 'like' XD Obviously I like both the anime and manga :D
Dec 10, 2013 6:23 PM
Jul 2018
I have a friend who dislikes SnK. I introduced it to him right after it ended but after he watched the whole series, he message me and said: "Stupid anime with Psycho characters. It's f*cking overrated. How the hell did you like it?" I almost hit him. :____: He also added that Armin is f*cking useless. Damn him, seriously. He obviously didn't know how Armin is pretty useful.
Dec 17, 2013 3:52 PM
Nov 2010
Well after finally finishing it, I thought it was kinda soft since I've seen a lot of dark themed and gruesome animes as is...so I'm use to that genre though I have to say, SnK was pretty soft imo and not sure what the big deal is...it was just like any other Shounen anime imo
Dec 19, 2013 8:25 AM

Apr 2010
I don't dislike it but it's quite overrated, this is strictly speaking about the 25 episodes of this anime only.

The plot moved too slow, there were times where it felt like nothing happened, and the parts that filled in weren't overly interesting. And in the end not all that much happened either, people talk about some amazing story but not only was it not amazing but not enough happened. It's hard to judge the story on these 25 episodes but that's all you can do.

The shock value that they tried to use so much wore out quite quickly as well, and the gruesome deaths that a lot of people love and make a big deal out of, well, read a seinen manga. It's nothing new, it's almost as if a lot of the SnK fanboys have never seen such violence in a series before.

I can't fault the production of the series though, the music was very good, though certain tracks got tiresome cause they tried to use it for "impactful" moments too much, it felt at times like they were trying too hard. The visuals, though, were stunning.

The cast though, well, other than Naruto, it probably has to be the worst cast for a big name series. Eren is an average protagonist and Mikasa pretty much has nothing to her other than her obsession with Eren which is boring anyway. This whole "Mikasa is hot" thing is bs, it doesn't make her a good character. Hanji is probably the best character since she's actually smart, entertaining and not some boring person standing around with her jaw dropped doing nothing in every scene cause she has no intelligence or courage(granted it was the first war for a lot of them but if you're not ready then why did you join?). Armin is also a shout for best character because he had great character development, going from useless crybaby to one of the better characters in the show and, in the end, being really useful and perceptive. Levi is cool cause there's more to him than the cold exterior that he shows, he's also rather perceptive and smart/wise. Pixis wasn't in it enough and same goes for Irvin. Other than that everybody was just extremely mundane. Sasha, all she had was the potato scene, though somehow that kept people thinking that she's actually noteworthy.

That said, I'm not a hater, I don't dislike this show at all, I still gave it an 8/10 but it does have some glaring flaws that even the amazing production can't make up for. Even the manga, which is better than the anime and has had some good bits since the point where the manga ended, still hasn't touched on the story enough. I'm hoping the story starts getting better sooner rather than later but it's not something I'll drop even if it does take time. I have faith!
Dec 26, 2013 10:08 PM

Apr 2012
"Does anyone dislike Shingeki no Kuojin/Attack on Titan?"

i am
to me - it's a boring hysterical shit, trying to pretend to be cool and edgy
super highschoolers, crybaby soldiers, magic physics - NO THANK YOU
Dec 27, 2013 1:45 PM

Jul 2009
Yup, this anime is quite mediocre.
Dec 27, 2013 1:58 PM

Nov 2012
Hate i mostly see as a complement. Everything that gets good get hated eventually. The thing is, because it is in the top 30. Haters probably feel the need to stand out, and prove all those likers wrong. Personally i think someone is a bit retarded if they don't see that the makers put much work in this anime. Srry haters that's my honest opinion, you don't want me to lie to you guys don't you?
Dec 27, 2013 9:25 PM

Oct 2013
Personally I really enjoy SnK and look forward to each new manga chapter. The anime, while deviated from the manga in a lot of areas, was an amazing adaptation. I think SnK deserve the popularity and attention it go but I can also see why people think it's overrated, specifically Levi who the author never intended to become as popular as he did.

It seems like a lot of the fandom jumped on the Levi bandwagon, mainly fujioshi who are known for being the ones that buy merchandise obsessively... just look at some of the stupid merchandise they have or the Lawson advertisements. They pander so hard to yaoi fangirls it's pathetic and embarrassing to see since the actual show has no fanservice at all. Then there is Levi spin-off in a shoujo magazine to pander to the fangirls as well, which is taking away from the mystery of Levi's character. If anybody should be writing Levi's past it should be the author himself not give it to someone else to fill out.

Long story short, I think this show deserved success because the story is good and consistent but the amount of popularity it got turned it into a cash cow that is pandering to fandom which I don't like. Just looking at the merchandise I can see how much of a sellout it has become.
Dec 28, 2013 1:29 PM

Jun 2012
bloodswordzkill said:
[...]

It seems like a lot of the fandom jumped on the Levi bandwagon, mainly fujioshi who are known for being the ones that buy merchandise obsessively... just look at some of the stupid merchandise they have or the Lawson advertisements. They pander so hard to yaoi fangirls it's pathetic and embarrassing to see since the actual show has no fanservice at all. Then there is Levi spin-off in a shoujo magazine to pander to the fangirls as well, which is taking away from the mystery of Levi's character. If anybody should be writing Levi's past it should be the author himself not give it to someone else to fill out.

[...]

I think you should read that:

http://soltarination.tumblr.com/post/69150083053/about-how-canon-kuinaki-sentaku-a-choice-without

- I only draw freestyle! -
Dec 29, 2013 7:41 PM

Jul 2012
I usually heavily criticize popular shows (SAO, Danganronpa, Clannad: AS, WA2 etc.) but this was one of the shows that I legitimately enjoyed throughout. Whilst it's not the best thing ever (I like a lot of anime more than SnK), it still deserves it's popularity. I adore the ideas of it, the dystopian setting, the mystery behind it and the suspense it creates.
Jan 2, 2014 5:50 PM

Jan 2013
Willard_Filmore said:
I understand that some people just don't care for the show. However, it's different when they just rip away at it.

I personally love the show, but I can point out its flaws here and there. The only time someone really "hates" it, is when they're doing it because they think it's "overrated".

The common arguments are:
"Eren is a crybaby of a main character and is too cliche." (Oh I'm sorry every character has to be badass and not show emotion. Besides, he saw his mom get devoured right in front of him. I'd be pretty damn pissed too)

"Armin is the most useless character ever." (You obviously don't know shit)

"The plot is not original." (I can understand that, but they took a good take on a common plot)

"Summaries mother f*cker." (Yes...)

"Too many flashbacks." (This is only partially true, some of them add a lot of effect)

"It drags on too much." (The only time it really dragged on was during the time he had to prove to them he was human and their time in the Forest of Giant Trees before Eren goes ape shit on FT)

"The mysteries are weak." (You have no idea what is coming)

"The training time skip was too much!"(I can't believe you feel like watching a show about people for TRAINING 5 YEARS, SO INTERESTING)

There are tons of others I could think of, but I don't feel like typing them. If you look at the reviews on this site, it seems that all of the bad ones are all by the same person but reworded.

Just remember, if you love it, someone hates it.

Love the way you address the common criticisms mate. I have heard the common criticism that the show has "massive pacing issues" which are a "serious flaw" all too often. When I enquire as to what exactly people mean by this they offer the training period as an example. But you are spot on, why would anyone want to watch years of training...

And SnK spends a few episodes on their training anyway, it isn't like they just resort to one simple montage. With that in mind I will link Team America's clip satirising the montage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFrMLRQIT_k
Jan 3, 2014 5:59 PM
Jan 2014
Personally, I love attack on titan. The animation is beautiful and so action packed, the story line and plot are strong and there is plenty of character development throughout the series. Furthermore, you really get attached to the characters and can really see the passion they have for exterminating the titans (especially Eren). Even Levi has a strong will to obliterate the titans and really does care for his comrades, even though he appears emotionless. Overall, it is a unique and brilliant manga and anime which truly had me on the edge of my seat in nearly every episode and made me very emotional on episodes 21 and 22.
However, I can see why some people dislike it. Because of it's growing popularity, it can become annoying for people to constantly hear about it and have it shoved in their face all the time on different websites including Tumblr, Twitter etc. It has been so raved about that when people come to watch it, they find it disappointing. I am glad I watched this anime in summer 2013 when the popularity was still rising before it reached the ridiculous fandom it has now (Jan 2014). Even though the fandom is wonderful and it's great that so many people enjoy the anime, it also means the anime loses it's charm and doesn't live up to the standards that people have created about it. Even though, it is an anime that deserves to be raved about in my opinion and I can proudly say it is my favorite anime to date.
Jan 3, 2014 11:13 PM
Jul 2009
Its rating speaks for the majority of us.

May 26, 2014 9:38 PM

Aug 2012
I dislike it. The plot makes no sense and it's confusing for me. And half of the time when I was reading the manga, I had no idea what was going on. Plus the character development was slow and everyone just looked like crap.

And due to the overwhelming fanarts and fans in general it gets annoying for me to watch it.

Another reason I don't like it is because it's way too plain, I like to see either comedy or action with lot of special powers like Fairy tail, it's great, nice fights, cool magics/special powers, etc. or like DBZ where they have the strongest fighters in the world and they save the world multiple times from beings who can destroy many planets.
ClearSkyMay 26, 2014 9:45 PM
May 27, 2014 9:17 AM

May 2014
I didn't like it honestly. I think it has some good elements, but they made many things really bad. For example Annie, she has big role in the plot and they characterised her really badly. They didn't ever make her motives clear. I think many other characters are really shallow.
Jun 22, 2014 12:36 PM

May 2012
I have mixed feelings on the show. While the animation and sound I really enjoyed along with the action scenes, the characters and plot absolutely bring it down. The main characters are flat and boring, while none of the supporting characters are memorable at all outside of the constant posts the fanbase makes about Levi and Sasha. The plot is just slow and boring now. I enjoyed when it started out fast paced and mysterious with the titans, but the entire political aspect they introduce with the world-building really drags on and on.
Jun 29, 2014 8:47 AM
Jan 2014
Let me make this clear I don't hate the show, it is a perfectly good anime.

That being said,I do not like it and yes, it is because its to popular. I love that more people are coming into the anime world due to this, i'm glad so many people enjoy this show, but it also bothers me how overblown the show is getting. It was top of the chat with only 5 episodes out. Now we have people who have never even seen, hell probably made fun of anime, now saying "Oh my god i'm such a nerd I LOVEEEE anime because I watch attack on titan."
Now thats just me, will i watch the show? Yes, after it has all aired, and hopefully the hype dies down, till then, i'll just try to stay away from all the Titan hype for now.
Jun 29, 2014 5:25 PM
Feb 2010
I didn't really get/enjoy it till episode 4. after that it was ALL WIN.
Jun 29, 2014 5:46 PM

Jul 2013
iCards said:
I didn't really get/enjoy it till episode 4. after that it was ALL WIN.

It was better without Titan shifters though.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Nov 3, 2014 10:03 AM
Nov 2014
Well I voted no, BUT I love the plot that is one thing I realy like about the show,I love the feeling of distopyan titan medial stuff. But I dont like it becouse of the charecters .... I couldnt relate to any of them. No I´m lying I relate to one our 2 of them, Annie, in a way and potatoe girl.
But Annie got seen as a villan and potatoe girl is a secondarie charecter ...I´m sorry but I think she could be a bether hero then Eren... but I´m saying this only becouse Eren to me seems like a guy that dosent have his own ideias he looks like a pupet he does whatever others think is right, AT LEAST IN MY OPINION, and then theres the Mikassa thingy ...he seems like he is manipulated by her ...but hey I do agree she is a badass she is realy cool. But I dont like how it seems that the only purpose of her life is Eren, to be arround him, but she never seems to actualy belive in him ...oh well.
I dont like how Eren could actuly have had all the anwsors to the Titan stuff if he went with the other shifters, but he didnt ...becouse he didnt think straight...

What I´m trying to say is I like a show where the plot is drived by the charecters and not the other way arround , and here it seems like the plot and the charecters are 2 diferent things.

But okay this is my opinion and actualy if you guys have rants and stuff I´m willing to read them, I love the anime the problem are the charecters.
Peace !
Nov 8, 2014 11:30 PM
Jan 2013
jeirin said:
I honestly enjoy this series. A lot. I always enjoy talking about SNK to my friends and I love the humor and posts about SNK on Tumblr. In fact, I have a bad habit of getting really excited about it and talking about it to my sister. I tried getting my sister into it but for some reason after watching the first few episodes she claims that it's one of the worst anime series she's ever seen. She's always bashing it and it really aggravates me. I understand that she doesn't like it but it seems like she's always overreacting. It seems a lot of people really enjoy this series so it got me curious, does anyone actually dislike SNK? I don't mind if you do but I honestly just want to know if there are people who hate it just as much as my sister does. Also, if you dislike it I'd like to know why. I won't argue with anyone, I'm honestly just curious.

I thought it lived up to the hype for the first few episodes .

Then it quickly turned into your typical shonen.

1.Everybody was completely ret@rted in the face of mikasa to make her a "strong woman".

2.The plot was shonen-dragged on.it was so bad later on.Armins plot armored answers.The plans are so deliberately dumb.

3. And.Titanman.

I like it,but it is just your typical shonen in the end.No way would i call it a masterpiece of storytelling.

It had great animation only.

Nov 9, 2014 2:41 AM

Dec 2013
Lol after reading some arguments why they dislike AoT, I feel like killing myself.
Nov 11, 2014 9:26 AM

Apr 2014
genesic123 said:
jeirin said:
I honestly enjoy this series. A lot. I always enjoy talking about SNK to my friends and I love the humor and posts about SNK on Tumblr. In fact, I have a bad habit of getting really excited about it and talking about it to my sister. I tried getting my sister into it but for some reason after watching the first few episodes she claims that it's one of the worst anime series she's ever seen. She's always bashing it and it really aggravates me. I understand that she doesn't like it but it seems like she's always overreacting. It seems a lot of people really enjoy this series so it got me curious, does anyone actually dislike SNK? I don't mind if you do but I honestly just want to know if there are people who hate it just as much as my sister does. Also, if you dislike it I'd like to know why. I won't argue with anyone, I'm honestly just curious.

I thought it lived up to the hype for the first few episodes .

Then it quickly turned into your typical shonen.

1.Everybody was completely ret@rted in the face of mikasa to make her a "strong woman".

2.The plot was shonen-dragged on.it was so bad later on.Armins plot armored answers.The plans are so deliberately dumb.

3. And.Titanman.

I like it,but it is just your typical shonen in the end.No way would i call it a masterpiece of storytelling.

It had great animation only.

1. She's one of the best soldiers in the military. Of course people are scared of her.
2. What exactly is dragged out? How are Armin's plans "plot armored"? What makes the plans dumb?
3. I wouldn't call Aren's transformation typical........

This show is in no way a "typical shonen" in any sense of the word.

Nov 11, 2014 4:01 PM

Jun 2014
robis798 said:
Lol after reading some arguments why they dislike AoT, I feel like killing myself.
La familia es todo.
Nov 13, 2014 6:05 AM

Apr 2014
robis798 said:

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

42 by BETTY_ »»
Apr 24, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 25, 2013

971 by Confessor0 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.