Forum Settings
Forums
New
Do we really need a black history month?
Yes
16.9%
No
47.2%
I don't care.
35.9%
142 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Feb 5, 2009 9:59 PM

May 2008
tr1ggers4d said:

Thought I would just insert that he explained this beautifully, thanks Freeman
Feb 5, 2009 10:01 PM

Dec 2008
antitype said:
Finally, some relatively sane assertions I can respond to.

Black History month is not about "judging" culture or pitying African Americans. It is, like you say, about honoring them. Simple as that, end of story. That's all there is to it. You have a problem with it, you're part of the problem. Period.

Sin said the best thing in this thread by pointing out that there should also be a Native American history month.

Are all cultures special and valuable? Fuck yeah! But America owes a debt to Native Americans and African Americans, and for that we should HONOR them, and THAT IS THE FUCKING POINT. That is what makes it necessary.

I agree, it was made to honor people. That was the point of it. Unfortunately, things don't always go as planned (sorry Raito). I'm sure that right nowadays, everyone who knows about Black History Month already knows the atrocities America commited in the past. Do we really need a constant reminder of them? I'm not saying that we should completely forget about it. Keep teaching it in schools, continue working with their culture, etc. But we don't really need an entire month out of the year to... To do what? Remind us of it? Tell them "Hey, this is your month, GO CELEBRATE!"?

Black history is something that should be celebrated YEAR ROUND, is my point. Yes, it is important to America, but geuss what, so were 5437527456 other countries and cultures. Do we designate set amount of times to honor them? No.

To me, isolating them is like for a month, throwing African Americans into a giant zoo pen. It's like a special exhibit that Americans get to finally view -- in their nature! -- a special opportunity once a year. I think if we didn't have BHM, it really wouldn't be any different. By removing it, it's like we're seeing them eye to eye, not as people who are different from us and deserve to be treated differently. I think that would be really honoring them.
KanashimiFeb 5, 2009 10:20 PM

There is nothing in this world more ugly than imperfection
Feb 5, 2009 10:03 PM
Feb 2009
Kyora said:
Again, I want to refer to my previous post two above yours.

There's nothing inherently wrong with White History Month, other than the fact that it's kind of irrelevant. We've never been in a position in this country where we, as white people, were taken for granted by our own nation. We've always been in power, and as far as I can tell, will most likely always be in power. To celebrate ourselves and all the good stuff we've done for our country is a bit like a bunch of mega-rich CEOs getting together to pat each other on the back for how excellent they are at making money.

Black slaves, via the tobacco trade, helped make our country into the financial powerhouse it became(and still is, despite the current economic situation). But their reward was a life of servitude. To want to give something back, and finally recognize the contributions that black people made to this country seems completely natural to me.
Feb 5, 2009 10:07 PM

Jun 2008
antitype said:
America owes a debt to Native Americans and African Americans, and for that we should HONOR them, and THAT IS THE FUCKING POINT. That is what makes it necessary.

How ridiculous. I, Ryan Dayton, in no way shape or form contributed in any way what so ever to the attempted destruction, enslavement and or eviction, or violence aimed at either race.

I don't feel obligated to 'pay' for the mistakes of hate mongering idiots who lived several decades, and in some cases hundreds of years before I was even born! Just because these pea-brained mongoloids happened to be white I'm now somehow morally obligated to feel remorseful or guilty? for something I neither condoned or had a part in? just because my skin happens to be the same color as theirs? FUCK THAT!

...hypocrite
Feb 5, 2009 10:07 PM

Jul 2007
Quite honestly, I only posted it because anything morgan freeman says is awesome. Fuck, if a book becomes boring, just read it in his voice and it becomes fucking epic.
And then this thing was somewhat relevant, so I posted it.
=D

Like I said before, I'm indifferent to the whole thing. Does not matter at all to me.
Feb 5, 2009 10:11 PM
Feb 2009
Kyora said:
Black history is something that should be celebrated YEAR ROUND, is my point. Yes, it is important to America, but geuss what, so were 5437527456 other countries and cultures. Do we designate set amount of times to honor them? No.

It's true many other cultures helped shape America, but I don't think any -- save Native Americans -- had near as large an impact, or were as horribly treated for as long. The fact that there ISN'T a Native-American History Month demonstrates just how poorly this culture continues to be treated.

And I also agree that black history should be celebrated year round, but it isn't. People want to ignore racism and pretend it doesn't exist in this country anymore, but that's just not true. Even with programs like affirmative action this country continues to be run by white men to a degree far outweighing their statistical numbers in the population. Best Buy, America's largest electronics retailer, was sued something like only 2 YEARS AGO for having less than 10% of its management be non-white, non-male American individuals. Wal-Mart's numbers are close.

And as long as there is racism, and it continues to be ignored, things like Black History month are necessary to keep discussion going and, hopefully, keep educating people. I fear this is no longer the case, which is mighty saddening, but that doesn't make it any less relevant. It makes it more so.
Feb 5, 2009 10:12 PM

Dec 2008
Kyora said:
To me, isolating them is like for a month, throwing African Americans into a giant zoo pen.

I'm sorry, but that's a really disgusting way of looking at it. Think about what you're saying there.

Anyway, the point is not to isolate them for a month, or even to say, "Hey! Be yourselves for a month!" -- it is, most importantly, for other cultures (white America, etc.) to reflect upon history and embrace African American culture for what it is. It's a way of honoring, accepting, and uplifting. Should we try to practice this year-round? Of course! Should we remind ourselves of things that happened in the past? YES! All of it still remains very relevant today, and keeping it all in mind as we try to move forward is the most honest and sincere way that we can honor African Americans for who they are, and keep things moving forward. That is what it's supposed to be about.

About that Morgan Freeman youtube clip, I understand and respect that, but you have to understand that a lot of black men and women don't feel that way, and would be happy to be recognized as black men and women, because they are proud. And there's nothing wrong with that!

FarewellToWords, stop pissing and moaning like you're the persecuted. You're a ridiculous person.
Feb 5, 2009 10:13 PM

May 2008
ghost_dinosaur said:
And as long as there is racism, and it continues to be ignored, things like Black History month are necessary to keep discussion going and, hopefully, keep educating people. I fear this is no longer the case, which is mighty saddening, but that doesn't make it any less relevant. It makes it more so.

You should listen to what Morgan Freeman has to say about that. Honestly I completely agree with him; its events like Black History Month that keep us segregated. If kids grow up and see no difference besides a shade of skin, then we don't need things like these.
Feb 5, 2009 10:16 PM

Dec 2008
Quoting myself first:
Kyora said:
To me, isolating them is like for a month, throwing African Americans into a giant zoo pen. It's like a special exhibit that Americans get to finally view -- in their nature! -- a special opportunity once a year. I think if we didn't have BHM, it really wouldn't be any different. By removing it, it's like we're seeing them eye to eye, not as people who are different from us and deserve to be treated differently. I think that would be really honoring them.

ghost_dinosaur said:
It's true many other cultures helped shape America, but I don't think any -- save Native Americans -- had near as large an impact, or were as horribly treated for as long. The fact that there ISN'T a Native-American History Month demonstrates just how poorly this culture continues to be treated.

And I also agree that black history should be celebrated year round, but it isn't. People want to ignore racism and pretend it doesn't exist in this country anymore, but that's just not true. Even with programs like affirmative action this country continues to be run by white men to a degree far outweighing their statistical numbers in the population. Best Buy, America's largest electronics retailer, was sued something like only 2 YEARS AGO for having less than 10% of its management be non-white, non-male American individuals. Wal-Mart's numbers are close.

I think racism will never be completely eradicated. Yes, it would be great if it would be, but some people are ignorant and I think the existence of a BHM really won't affect them. I mean regardless, if you really hate black people, have learned to do so through generations, will you really pay more attention or suddenly decide to look into it because there is a month every year for it? I don't think so.

Also, keep in mind that white Americans are the majority still. I'm not saying that the Best Buy was right or anything though. Just as a reminder.

Feb 5, 2009 10:19 PM
Sep 2006
This is just a warning. I think the discussion had become a little heated, and there's some off topic posts here and there. Please try to contribute with a polite argument, and take a breath... this is only the interwebs.

I'm deleting anything off topic or that does not contribute. Try not to get all antsy or this topic will be locked.

Topic has been fully purged, thanks for the wacky wait.
KanashimiFeb 5, 2009 10:53 PM
Feb 5, 2009 10:21 PM

Dec 2008
antitype said:
I'm sorry, but that's a really disgusting way of looking at it. Think about what you're saying there.

Anyway, the point is not to isolate them for a month, or even to say, "Hey! Be yourselves for a month!" -- it is, most importantly, for other cultures (white America, etc.) to reflect upon history and embrace African American culture for what it is. It's a way of honoring, accepting, and uplifting. Should we try to practice this year-round? Of course! Should we remind ourselves of things that happened in the past? YES! All of it still remains very relevant today, and keeping it all in mind as we try to move forward is the most honest and sincere way that we can honor African Americans for who they are, and keep things moving forward. That is what it's supposed to be about.

About that Morgan Freeman youtube clip, I understand and respect that, but you have to understand that a lot of black men and women don't feel that way, and would be happy to be recognized as black men and women, because they are proud. And there's nothing wrong with that!

FarewellToWords, stop pissing and moaning like you're the persecuted. You're a ridiculous person.

Okay so my analogy may have been a bit extreme, but that is what some people really see it as.

Also in terms of moving forward:
What MLK wanted was for everyone to be equal, everyone to see eye-to-eye. fhdkljfaksldhf you know what. JUST READ THE REST OF THAT PARAGRAPH ALREADY.

Quoting myself AGAIN:
Kyora said:
By removing it, it's like we're seeing them eye to eye, not as people who are different from us and deserve to be treated differently. I think that would be really honoring them.

theeggman85 said:
I'm thinking you honestly might want to lock it now... thanks for stopping by ;D

Seconding this.

Feb 5, 2009 10:23 PM

Dec 2008
I read everything you said, Kyora.
Feb 5, 2009 10:36 PM

Aug 2008
NujaGurl said:
Unkind said:
I don't care. (your vote)

Who actually gives a shit? I haven't actually even noticed a black history month in like 6 years, why? Because I don't care.

If you don't care about it either (or don't think they need one), then it shouldn't be a problem. Unless maybe you're in highschool and they focus on some famous black people in history class or something for a few weeks.

I actually give a shit

That's fine, i never said there was anything wrong with caring, but if you don't care, it's not like people roll up to your house and knock on your door and tell you it's black history month. My point was you don't have to notice if you don't want to, there's no reason to make posts like this when it doesn't effect anyone's lives who don't support it.
Feb 6, 2009 4:19 PM

Jan 2009
antitype said:
Kyora said:
To me, isolating them is like for a month, throwing African Americans into a giant zoo pen.

Honestly I agree with you and theeggman85
Feb 6, 2009 4:27 PM

May 2008
NujaGurl said:
Honestly I agree with you and theeggman85

As in antitype and theeggman85? Cause I disagree with antitype. I see where he's coming from, but his brutal way of getting his point across irritates me.

I just think if we do have a black history month, then fine, I really don't care. It's just that the US is getting so paranoid about races that we have to delegate months (and now an HIV Awareness for blacks day, what happened to awareness for everyone -.-) to black people. Honestly, morgan freeman is right when he's talking about this.
Feb 6, 2009 4:34 PM

Dec 2008
If I came off as overly "brutal" last night it was because I was extremely frustrated, exacerbated by the fact that I was outnumbered when I believe strongly that I'm right.

Morgan Freeman, star of Driving Miss Daisy, is probably one of the last black people you should be expecting to speak for the majority of black people.

The overall attitude in this thread is sick, shortsighted, and white. I almost feel like I should be embarrassed on everyone's behalf as a white man, but I can't go there.
Feb 6, 2009 4:36 PM

Jul 2008
Does Germany have a Jewish History Month? I also think we need a Native American history month and a Ginger history month.
Feb 6, 2009 4:38 PM

May 2008
antitype said:
The overall attitude in this thread is sick, shortsighted, and white. I almost feel like I should be embarrassed on everyone's behalf as a white man, but I can't go there.

See thats the "anti-racism racism" that is spreading throughout America. You see it everywhere, especially with people bitching about political incorrectness to such an extreme that it in itself is racism.

I'm not saying anything like "Blacks don't deserve a history month" or anything like that. If people want to go ahead and delegate a month to black people, good for them. It's just things like this, despite their good intentions, further separate and highlight the "differences" between white and black, which ironically is the exact opposite of where we're trying to go.
Feb 6, 2009 4:42 PM

Jul 2008
theeggman85 said:
tr1ggers4d said:
http://www.youtube.com/v/http://www.youtube.com/v/FO214IFRW1M&rel=1&rel=1

Thought I would just insert that he explained this beautifully, thanks Freeman

Feb 6, 2009 4:46 PM

Dec 2008
theeggman85 said:
See thats the "anti-racism racism" that is spreading throughout America. You see it everywhere, especially with people bitching about political incorrectness to such an extreme that it in itself is racism.

I'm not saying anything like "Blacks don't deserve a history month" or anything like that. If people want to go ahead and delegate a month to black people, good for them. It's just things like this, despite their good intentions, further separate and highlight the "differences" between white and black, which ironically is the exact opposite of where we're trying to go.

And I'll just say again that I think that's the wrong attitude about it through and through.

The idea is to promote acceptance, respect, and support.

Everyone white person who gets all bent out of shape and says things like "I shouldn't have to pay for what my ancestors did, I've done nothing wrong" is being selfish and absurd -- this is about something bigger than any individual currently alive. It's about ongoing cultural segregation and having the entire nation take a moment to say, "Hey. We acknowledge you and your history and we embrace you."

Seriously, please don't use this Morgan Freeman quote as your trump card for ignoring the matter of race/color/culture. It exists, and we need to deal with it, whether or not you or Morgan Freeman wants to.
Feb 6, 2009 4:49 PM

May 2008
I agree that we need to deal with it, but hitting it face on just brings more light to the issue.

Think of a child born just today. If that child grows up hearing a huge debate over black history month and "forgetting our differences because there are none" and other things, the kid is gonna start thinking "why are blacks different?" and begin to look for differences. Wheras if we ignore the whole thing altogether, the kid will not even know what he's missing.

It's a heated debate, with lots of different opinions. There is certainly no right answer, but that's my belief.
Feb 6, 2009 4:56 PM

Dec 2008
theeggman85 said:
I agree that we need to deal with it, but hitting it face on just brings more light to the issue.

Think of a child born just today. If that child grows up hearing a huge debate over black history month and "forgetting our differences because there are none" and other things, the kid is gonna start thinking "why are blacks different?" and begin to look for differences. Wheras if we ignore the whole thing altogether, the kid will not even know what he's missing.

It's a heated debate, with lots of different opinions. There is certainly no right answer, but that's my belief.

And I understand what you're saying, but I believe there is only one answer:

People think that ignoring our differences is the answer, but it's only a form of lazy ignorance and will not accomplish anything but more separation. They don't seem to grasp the simple idea that acknowledging differences doesn't have to be a hateful way of thinking -- it's really the only true path to actual acceptance. "Hitting it face on" and bringing more light to the issue, as you say, is EXACTLY what must be done. I'm talking about honesty vs. sweeping the truth under the rug here. Black people ARE unique and different from white people! Of course we're all human and we have universal qualities, but to pretend we're not at all different and then think this will be okay is so shortsighted. What does it even entail? We want black people to be like white people? Do you see what I'm saying? It's absolutely ludicrous.

Acknowledge with honesty, understand, and try to accept. That's the aim.
Feb 6, 2009 5:01 PM

May 2008
I pretty much completely agree with you, lol... the problem is that I don't think a black history month will address this properly. I think schools can provide this "acknowledgement of differences" as well as parents and other role models in the community.

I just think that black history month is targeted too much at black people and making it seem better than something like Jewish history month, as freeman says. Instead of black history month we should be having Cultural History Month, where you just learn to accept every way of thinking. That would be badass actually.
Feb 6, 2009 5:12 PM

Jan 2009
Its pointless and somewhat racist - towards blacks. The dont realize this, however. But its really saying "okay, we'll give you a hole month. for the rest of the months, can we stop hearing about your accomplishments as a race?"

Thats how it is in some ways, it seems like it is also a product of white guilt. It also seems to be somewhat segregated, in terms of them having their own month. See, its like saying "they are different - or black so lets give them a month to give them some "pride"'. Instead of intertwining the history of all races, they segregate blacks' history. When the truth is, most high-school history classes focus on white men, here in US
Feb 6, 2009 5:12 PM

Dec 2008
I do understand that some argue that Black History Month has become a shallow ritual, and some would even say it's harmful to the idea of African Americans leaving their history behind, but I still think lots of others see it differently. Maybe it should be changed to Black Culture Month.

The idea of having a more inclusive way of recognizing the plethora of cultures is also a good one.
Feb 6, 2009 5:14 PM

Jan 2009
theeggman85 said:
Instead of black history month we should be having Cultural History Month, where you just learn to accept every way of thinking. That would be badass actually.

agreed.
Feb 6, 2009 8:36 PM

Dec 2008
Rail_Man said:
theeggman85 said:
Instead of black history month we should be having Cultural History Month, where you just learn to accept every way of thinking. That would be badass actually.

agreed.

Yes thats true... i mean whats the point of Black History month? If they have that why dont they have a White history month? lol
::: (\(\
*: (=' :') :*
•.. (,('')('')¤°﹒‧°‧° ☆.(¯`•.•´¯)
.°☆ ‧°‧°☆∴° ☆ ¤º… `•.¸.•´ ☆™
Feb 6, 2009 8:36 PM

Dec 2008
/headdesk
Feb 6, 2009 8:39 PM

Apr 2007
windy said:
i don't really have an opinion on it, to be honest. it's nice, but NECESSARY? of course not.

That is basically what I wanna say.

That, AND,
WHERE THE FCK IS ASIAN HISTORY MONTHHHHHHHH?!?!?!?!

Also, I agree w/ the cultural history month. I think many people (Americans especially) lack knowledge of other cultures.

Feb 6, 2009 8:40 PM

May 2008
theeggman85 said:
where you just learn to accept every way of thinking

"It's cultural history month, children. Today we'll be continuing our analysis of the merit of gay swingers in bondage gear stripping and performing sex acts in public view."
Feb 6, 2009 8:44 PM

Dec 2008
Yeah, 'cause that happens all the time.
Feb 6, 2009 9:54 PM

Oct 2008
Nyao_chan said:
Is there a "White History Month"??

Exactly.

Indeed.
Feb 6, 2009 9:56 PM

May 2008
hikky said:
theeggman85 said:
where you just learn to accept every way of thinking

"It's cultural history month, children. Today we'll be continuing our analysis of the merit of gay swingers in bondage gear stripping and performing sex acts in public view."

Did you see me on the street?
Feb 6, 2009 10:01 PM

Dec 2008
infiltrate said:
Nyao_chan said:

Exactly.

Indeed.

Again:

/headdesk

I'm just done with this thread. Have fun being racist fucks.
Feb 6, 2009 10:05 PM

Jul 2008
antitype said:

Right back at ya, big guy.
Feb 6, 2009 10:06 PM

May 2008
antitype said:

You're just such a perfect example of someone who is an anti-racist racist. Whites have some pretty interesting history too, isn't your position that we should all be treated with respect?

antitype said:
They don't seem to grasp the simple idea that acknowledging differences doesn't have to be a hateful way of thinking -- it's really the only true path to actual acceptance.
Feb 6, 2009 11:02 PM

May 2008
antitype said:
infiltrate said:
Nyao_chan said:

Exactly.

Indeed.

Again:

/headdesk

Feb 6, 2009 11:03 PM

Apr 2007
LMAO
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 6, 2009 11:12 PM

May 2008
ROFL THAT IS GREAT
Feb 6, 2009 11:15 PM

Aug 2008
looks like he's about to cry at the end :( lol
Feb 6, 2009 11:18 PM

Apr 2007
Unkind said:
looks like he's about to cry at the end :( lol

he does
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 7, 2009 12:19 AM

Oct 2008
Just as expected..

Questioning the existence of the "Black History" month may end up dividing America. More over, considering that Obama is the current US president, bringing up this topic in America may be a bad idea.

On the contrary, it is somewhat questionable as to why there is only a "Black History" month, when everyone else don't have their very own month. Nonetheless, it is best to leave things alone..
Feb 7, 2009 12:23 AM

May 2008
Kira01 said:
Just as expected..

Questioning the existence of the "Black History" month may end up dividing America. More over, considering that Obama is the current US president, bringing up this topic in America may be a bad idea.

On the contrary, it is somewhat questionable as to why there is only a "Black History" month, when everyone else don't have their very own month. Nonetheless, it is best to leave things alone..

Honestly, having a Black History month isn't going to change things much anyway, so we might as well ignore the discussion of it. In that sense I agree with you.

On the other hand, I really think America could use a Cultural History Month, dont just leave it at blacks.
Feb 7, 2009 6:30 AM

Feb 2009
I don't think there should be a month set aside but the fact that we talk about history (whether black history, white history, native american history, etc.) all year. . . . One month doesn't need to be set aside as long as people remember it (and it gets taught in school)
Feb 7, 2009 6:48 AM
Jun 2007
I don't care. (your vote)
Feb 7, 2009 7:01 AM

Jan 2009
Never heard of it lawl
Feb 7, 2009 11:18 AM

Oct 2007
Kira01 said:

It's been mentioned here before but there is a Hispanic Heritage month from Sept 15-Oct15, Native American Heritage month in November, Asian history month in May...it probably can go on. There is not just a black month.

Why are these months created in the first place? To allow people to see what contributions minorities have made that don't get publicized to the general public. Minorities are in American history. We should know what they have contributed to just as much as non-minorities.The problem is that in our education system contributions by minority groups are not given as high as significance as non-minorities. What began as weeks of celebration of minority contributions eventually expanded into months over time.

While, it served it's purpose to expose people of contributions given by minority groups it does not solve the incorporation problem. So now you are stuck with two problems: 1. if we take away these months will people give any recognition to minority contributions? 2. if we leave them in are people just going to keep cramming decades and centuries of history in one month instead of spreading it throughout the whole year?

It is sad to say, but I don't think our society in the USA as a whole is going to give up it's tradition and change the history books of all schools in the nation and rewrite history to incorporate as many viewpoints as necessary. I'd rather not give up any of the history months if it means that it's not going to get taught at all. It's like choosing between a rock and a hard place. Neither is good in the long run but something is better than nothing.

Only if there are significant findings that "black history" is being taught and incorporated year round at all different levels of education, not just college, would I find it necessary to eliminate black history month. The same can be said for the other history months. The overall goal is to incorporate all history into our history books.
Lil34Feb 7, 2009 11:23 AM

If we got 80% or higher let me know! :)
Feb 7, 2009 11:28 AM

Apr 2008
lilgumba said:

Why are these months created in the first place? To allow people to see what contributions minorities have made that don't get publicized to the general public. Minorities are in American history. We should know what they have contributed to just as much as non-minorities..

That minority will turn into a majority over the next 30-40 years.
Feb 7, 2009 11:35 AM

Oct 2007
For one minority population. If that future makes history rewrites unbalanced then I still think temporary representations as months should be in place until the history books are written with as much representation as possible.

If we got 80% or higher let me know! :)
Feb 7, 2009 9:58 PM

May 2008
theeggman85 said:

On the other hand, I really think America could use a Cultural History Month, don't just leave it at blacks.

This would be much more widespread and efficient, i agree with this.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.