Forum Settings
Forums
New
Do we really need a black history month?
Yes
16.9%
No
47.2%
I don't care.
35.9%
142 votes
Feb 3, 2009 9:34 PM

May 2008
Discuss

Personal opinion: Imagine the outrage if there were a white history month.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 3, 2009 9:39 PM

May 2008
hikky said:
Personal opinion: Imagine the outrage if there were a white history month.

Defenders of Black History month will say "every other month is white history month".

This is of course stupid.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Feb 3, 2009 9:43 PM

Apr 2008
we black ppl dont deserve a month until we stop acting stupid and stop shooting each other. until that ends we dont need one right now

ppl get so hyped over black history month that they think they can do whatever they want and get away with it, for some ppl its just another excuse to act stupid.

and yes i am half black
Feb 3, 2009 9:44 PM

Nov 2007
Well, I am part black. My dad is more like "There shouldn't be a specific month for black people, since every month is black history month". It really isn't necessary.

If there was white history month I would laugh hard.
sad
Feb 3, 2009 9:50 PM

Nov 2007
It was definitely necessary when it was first created, yes. Not anymore though. Of course, there's no way in hell it can be done away with at this point. So just learn to enjoy whatever even happens during this month (nothing of significance).
KanashimiFeb 5, 2009 10:23 PM
Feb 3, 2009 10:08 PM

May 2008
FireReaverX said:
It was definitely necessary when it was first created, yes. Not anymore though. Of course, there's no way in hell it can be done away with at this point. So just learn to enjoy whatever even happens during this month (nothing of significance).

Possibly true, but I think it can at least be phased out. I think black people should feel insulted really, as if we should just bear their history for a month and learn about a dozen key people or so as a sort of expression of pity and not because we're actually interested in them, and then move on with our lives.
KanashimiFeb 5, 2009 10:23 PM
Feb 3, 2009 10:15 PM

Nov 2007
hikky said:
Possibly true, but I think it can at least be phased out. I think black people should feel insulted really, as if we should just bear their history for a month and learn about a dozen key people or so as a sort of expression of pity and not because we're actually interested in them, and then move on with our lives.

Black history month for me, is learning about white people stealing things from the Indians. We never talk about black people in my history classes, really, I didn't realize it was black history month till a guy I knew told me.
sad
Feb 3, 2009 10:19 PM

Nov 2006
i don't really have an opinion on it, to be honest. it's nice, but NECESSARY? of course not.
Feb 3, 2009 10:21 PM

Aug 2007
At least the get a month. D: Hispanic Heritage Month is like Sep 15-Oct 15. And the Asians get all of May. >.>
Feb 3, 2009 10:24 PM

Mar 2008
I personally don't care. I'm 75% black and my family don't really celebrate nor get in the subject about black history.....it's just isn't something my mother really talked about.
Feb 3, 2009 10:46 PM

Oct 2008
It isn't necessary, but it's not hurting anything. Why care?
Once you get out of grade school you won't really hear much about it anyway.

Feb 3, 2009 10:46 PM

Jul 2007
Necessary? No. Should it be implemented? Yes.

The country needs some way to remember how they've wronged and enslaved the black people throughout its history. However, I also think there should be a Native American History Month.
All the mods fucking blow on this website except Kaiserpingvin, Cloudy-Sky, Baman and aero. PM me if you're actually good and I left you out.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Feb 3, 2009 10:58 PM

May 2008
Sin said:

The country needs some way to remember how they've wronged and enslaved the black people throughout its history. However, I also think there should be a Native American History Month.

So you believe that people inherit the fault of their ancestors? If your father murdered someone, should you be held accountable too, just because you are blood-related? "This country" hasn't enslaved black people. The country changes and the people change, and the America of the 17th-19th century enslaved black people. It might as well be a completely different and unrelated country right now, because in substance it is dissimilar.

And why should we draw the line with black people or Native Americans? There are lots of minorities who have been wronged time and time again throughout history. These things are facts of human existence and they still continue in different ways today. It's not feasible to teach the current generation about all the evils committed in history, because there are far too many, and on top of that, we have modern problems to worry about.
Feb 3, 2009 11:01 PM

Nov 2008
Its very important but I think it is kind of silly. A whole month just for Blacks?
Feb 3, 2009 11:02 PM

Jul 2007
hikky said:
Sin said:

So you believe that people inherit the fault of their ancestors? If your father murdered someone, should you be held accountable too, just because you are blood-related? "This country" hasn't enslaved black people. The country changes and the people change, and the America of the 17th-19th century enslaved black people. It might as well be a completely different and unrelated country right now, because in substance it is dissimilar.

And why should we draw the line with black people or Native Americans? There are lots of minorities who have been wronged time and time again throughout history. These things are facts of human existence and they still continue in different ways today. It's not feasible to teach the current generation about all the evils committed in history, because there are far too many, and on top of that, we have modern problems to worry about.

I don't think they should inherit the fault of their ancestors, I think they should REMEMBER the fault of their ancestors. Regardless of whether or not the people of America today committed the sins of their ancestors, it's important to remember the way we dehumanized the African Americans in the same way that it is important for the Germans to remember how their ancestors dehumanized the Jews in World War II.

And no, America as a country has not "wronged" a certain group of minorities in general NEARLY as much as they have wronged the African Americans and Native Americans. They might have wronged them here and there, but everything is relative, and you have to choose the minorities that got hit the hardest by America as a country. This land was the Native Americans', and we nearly wiped them out as well as took their land, and we also took the African Americans from their home country and enslaved them/dehumanized them. I don't remember a wrongdoing that the country has acted on minorities nearly as poignant as those two.
All the mods fucking blow on this website except Kaiserpingvin, Cloudy-Sky, Baman and aero. PM me if you're actually good and I left you out.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Feb 3, 2009 11:12 PM

Feb 2008
In Canada we get a National Aboriginal Day, and black people get a whole month? Screw that, it should be one day. We should reduce Gay Pride Week to a day while we're at it. When did these kind of things get extended to weeks or months anyway? It cheapens the value if you ask me.
Feb 3, 2009 11:15 PM

Nov 2007
My personal problem with Black History month (and all other race months or whatever) is that they do have the opposite effect of what they're intended to do. It's supposed to be an integration method. Recognize the accomplishments of Black people so we can say they're just as good as white people. However, Black people need a month to be recognized?? Seriously? Does no one understand the crutch this creates? We're just as special as everyone else, but we need a whole Month to prove it.

No, let individual accomplishments be individual accomplishments regardless of race. Is it so great that some great person is black? no, it's great that they're a great person. Someone's race should not have the credit we give it in making someone who they are.

so... no, I'm not racist, I think ideas like Black History month are counter productive...
Feb 3, 2009 11:38 PM

Oct 2008
they should consider having a month for every single color of the skin. then we won't have discussions like this.
Feb 3, 2009 11:40 PM

Nov 2007
I'm just upset that Black history month gets a special curriculum from history classes and English classes, and no one even knows when Latino history month even falls. Even worse, there's no Asian history month or any other minority, so why are we making exceptions? I'm sad that I know more about Black history than my own Latino history, all I've ever learned about in school is how Santa Anna got duped by Americans into giving up Mexican land dirt cheap and how the Aztecs were bloodthirsty, monstrous type warriors >___> .
OrbiFeb 3, 2009 11:48 PM
Feb 3, 2009 11:43 PM

Nov 2007
Orbitzz83 said:
I'm just upset that Black history month gets a special curriculum from history classes and English classes, and no one even knows when Latino history month even falls. Even worse, there's no Asian history month or any other minority, so why are we making exceptions? I'm sad that I know more about Black history than my own Latino history, all I've ever learned about in school is how Pancho Villa got duped by Americans into giving up Mexican land dirt cheap and how the Aztecs were bloodthirsty, monstrous type warriors >___> .

High school history classes are generally worthless. D:
Feb 3, 2009 11:44 PM

Aug 2007
And I don't care if there's a black history month or not. I'm not black (I think?) so it doesn't bother me. For the record, I'm not white either so I don't care if there's a white history month too.

Let's have a human history month.
KanashimiFeb 5, 2009 10:26 PM
Feb 4, 2009 12:53 AM

Jan 2008
No, since we get the shortest/coldest frakin month of the year. :|
Feb 4, 2009 12:53 AM

Oct 2008
Another sensitive topic that I would skip. There isn't a "White History Month" but people who are proud to enjoy and celebrate the "Black History Month" are going to take any negative stance on the issue as personal which results as unnecessary division and conflicts. Thus, I think it is best to leave it as it is..
Feb 4, 2009 5:32 AM

Feb 2005
Feh, I'll never understand why people feel the need to label themselves based on skin colour.
Never heard of this black history month, and I'm sure people already know all they need about slavery and the lot. At least we do in No-way, and we're not even Americans.
Feb 4, 2009 8:26 AM

Jul 2007
Orbitzz83 said:
I'm just upset that Black history month gets a special curriculum from history classes and English classes, and no one even knows when Latino history month even falls. Even worse, there's no Asian history month or any other minority, so why are we making exceptions? I'm sad that I know more about Black history than my own Latino history, all I've ever learned about in school is how Santa Anna got duped by Americans into giving up Mexican land dirt cheap and how the Aztecs were bloodthirsty, monstrous type warriors >___> .

We're making exceptions because we didn't steal the Asians' land, nor did we force them out of their country and enslave them in ours. And, the fact that people don't remember the Latino history month is because relatively speaking we honestly didn't screw them over nearly as much as we did to the black people in general (imperialism, slavery, and centuries of discrimination). All we did was take a certain part of their land (much of it through trade...not by force), and though it's not good to downplay that, it's so conspicuous that we've screwed the African Americans over much more.

I'm Asian American, but I still recognize the significance of this month, and I think it's kind of sad that people are trying to downplay the well-deserved month of the African Americans.

Orbitzz83 said:
kasumisama said:
But like 2 paragraphs on Japan and the Pacific War. Aside from Pearl Harbor.
yes, in American history classes, Asians don't exist D: . aside from reading the joy luck club, good luck finding ANY references to Asian culture in school.

This honestly doesn't bother me at all, and I'm Asian. Asians haven't been nearly as crucial to the history of this country as the African Americans, it's a fact. Teaching about Asians in American History classes would be like teaching about the significance of Africans in Japan in the 1600s.
SinFeb 4, 2009 8:35 AM

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Feb 4, 2009 10:00 AM

Sep 2007
No.

Its a method to divide the public from its eternal threats (US goverment)
Feb 4, 2009 10:55 AM
Nov 2007
Sin said:
This honestly doesn't bother me at all, and I'm Asian. Asians haven't been nearly as crucial to the history of this country as the African Americans, it's a fact. Teaching about Asians in American History classes would be like teaching about the significance of Africans in Japan in the 1600s.
Didn't Chinese immigrants play an important role in construction of the First Transcontinental Railroad, which connected the American east and west coast for the first time by anything other then horse driven convoys over a dirt trail?

But anyway I don't know any reason for calling February "Black history month". But yeah you should have a "Native American history month" too then. I mean didn't they suffer allot because of the immigration of the US?
Feb 4, 2009 10:59 AM

Apr 2008
Wheres native american history month
Asian history month
latino history month
etc..

And anyway, it isn't "Black" history month
I doubt theres anything on half of the African continent.
Feb 4, 2009 11:35 AM

Sep 2008
I don't mind BHM, and it's kind of interesting to learn about what my ancestors went through. For the most part the school's I've gone to don't celebrate it. I guess you have to have a certain ratio of blacks in a school before it becomes mandatory (I'm one of about 7 in my school). I don't think it's necessary, but it doesn't hurt to learn a little more.
Feb 4, 2009 11:37 AM

Apr 2008
Shouldn't this be renamed "African-American History month"?
Feb 4, 2009 11:45 AM

Apr 2008
Usually discussions about this turn into huge pits of deep seated black anger and lolNazis. Guess I hang out in the wrong places.

Anyway, I think relevant important history should be taught year round - doesn't matter what race did it. And inventing peanut butter is not fucking important, btw.
Feb 4, 2009 11:58 AM

Oct 2008
I enjoy the commercials and hundreds of bio's they do for black history month and that's about it. It's fun to learn about my heritage (half black) but it's nothing I didn't learn in high school. BHM almost becomes a joke because when February came around my friends would be like, "Leave Hart alone it's black history month blah blah," and i would run with it, too. Also, the fact that I live in a largely white populated, rural area where i was one of about 11 black kids in a 1000 person school and the only black senior may have affected my outlook on it.

Another point is that my dad, who lived through the 50's and 60's and faced harsh discrimination, doesn't seem to care that much about it so why should I have huge pride in the month, I haven't gone through anything nearly as bad as him.

Basically, it should be recognized but not celebrated.
Feb 4, 2009 12:33 PM

Oct 2008
Is there a "White History Month"??

Exactly.
Feb 4, 2009 12:55 PM

Jul 2007
Lofoc said:
Sin said:

Didn't Chinese immigrants play an important role in construction of the First Transcontinental Railroad, which connected the American east and west coast for the first time by anything other then horse driven convoys over a dirt trail?

But anyway I don't know any reason for calling February "Black history month". But yeah you should have a "Native American history month" too then. I mean didn't they suffer allot because of the immigration of the US?

So? They were hired, it's not like they were forcefully taken from their country and enslaved to work on the railroad, and THAT'S my point. Sure their wages weren't admittedly good, but they still got paid regardless, and they chose that job. But yes, I agree in terms of the Native American Month, and I've said that multiple times.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Feb 4, 2009 12:56 PM

Apr 2008
Sin said:
Lofoc said:
Sin said:

So? They were hired, it's not like they were forcefully taken from their country and enslaved to work on the railroad, and THAT'S my point. Sure their wages weren't admittedly good, but they still got paid regardless, and they chose that job. But yes, I agree in terms of the Native American Month, and I've said that multiple times.

how about Mormon month.
they would have just as much right then.
Feb 4, 2009 12:57 PM

Jul 2007
Sohei said:
Sin said:
Lofoc said:
Sin said:

how about Mormon month.

What??? Clarify, if you actually have a legitimate point.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Feb 4, 2009 1:10 PM

Apr 2008
Sin said:

Intended as a joke, but theres still enough proof.

Endured hatred from all other religions, and lynching was quite common. Founder of mormonism was linched and their cult was banned in the eastern USA. had to trek long and far before they found a place in Utah.

had to give up certain religious practises before the federal government would even recognize Utah as a state.

don't feel like elaborating, wiki's the solution if you want to know more.
SoheiFeb 4, 2009 1:28 PM
Feb 4, 2009 1:14 PM

Jul 2007
Sohei said:
Sin said:
sohei said:

how about Mormon month.

Intended as a joke, but theres still enough proof.

Endured hatred from all other religions, and lynching was quite common. Founder of mormonism was linched and their cult was banned in the eastern USA. had to trek long and far before they found a place in Utah.

had to give up certain religious practises before the federal government would even recognize Utah as a state.

Ok so that point isn't legitimate. People from any nationality and any religious sect have gotten lynched. It doesn't mean that there should be a month in remembrance for them, especially since it wasn't U.S. policy to lynch them or to discriminate against them. And yes, religious practices shouldn't be part of a state's government.

In any case, I don't remember any land of the Mormon's being taken from them, and I don't remember Mormon's being forced into slavery, nor do I remember mormons having less rights than others due to governmental decree.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Feb 4, 2009 1:16 PM

Apr 2008
Sohei said:

I think you picked Mormons out of the bag of examples rather unfortunately, because really, lol Mormons

If anything, try Irish, at least there wasn't a legitimate reason for them to be treated like trash.
Feb 4, 2009 1:31 PM

Oct 2008
Plate said:
Sohei said:

I think you picked Mormons out of the bag of examples rather unfortunately, because really, lol Mormons

If anything, try Irish, at least there wasn't a legitimate reason for them to be treated like trash.

so are you saying there's a legit reason to treat humans like trash?
Feb 4, 2009 1:33 PM

Apr 2008
Sin said:

Ok so that point isn't legitimate. People from any nationality and any religious sect have gotten lynched. It doesn't mean that there should be a month in remembrance for them, especially since it wasn't U.S. policy to lynch them or to discriminate against them. And yes, religious practices shouldn't be part of a state's government.

In any case, I don't remember any land of the Mormon's being taken from them, and I don't remember Mormon's being forced into slavery, nor do I remember mormons having less rights than others due to governmental decree.

I really don't feel like arguing this, especially because this is completely unrelated to the topic, but i'd rather calrifity some points here.

1. The mormons were persecuted, for their beliefs, and i believe it is the largest religious group in America ever to be officially persecuted, both officially and unofficially.
2. They did have less rights than other civilians, which is exactly why they migrated to Utah.

but whatever, read more on wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_persecution

and anway, since when is being enslaved a prerequisite to being allowed a remembrance month.

MackDaddyHart said:

so are you saying there's a legit reason to treat humans like trash?

If it's legitimised by a government, its legit.
Not taking into account morals.

perfect example are of course the Nuremberg Laws.
Feb 4, 2009 1:45 PM

Feb 2008
This is just in USA right? I never heard of this holiday(?) occurring before. Is this something new?
Feb 4, 2009 1:50 PM

Oct 2008
good comeback with Nuremberg

but it's just the way he said it rubbed me the wrong way. i dont know how to explain it. though, i'd like to know his legit reason to treat mormons or anyone else like trash.
Feb 4, 2009 2:41 PM
Nov 2007
Burek said:
This is just in USA right? I never heard of this holiday(?) occurring before. Is this something new?
Yeah...and apparently they take it pretty seriously...XD

But yeah i guess America's still a young country where they can take out a whole month to remember those kind of hardships for a certain group of people. I mean here in Europe we had so many different groups of people kill each other off over time that we wouldn't have enough months to remember them all.XD
Feb 4, 2009 3:31 PM

May 2008
Otakus, Nerds, Geeks, etc. have been discriminated a lot through the years (and probably still are), we deserve our own month to commemorate our greatness and how we've pulled through... :D
Feb 4, 2009 4:10 PM

Nov 2007
Sin said:
We're making exceptions because we didn't steal the Asians' land, nor did we force them out of their country and enslave them in ours. And, the fact that people don't remember the Latino history month is because relatively speaking we honestly didn't screw them over nearly as much as we did to the black people in general (imperialism, slavery, and centuries of discrimination). All we did was take a certain part of their land (much of it through trade...not by force), and though it's not good to downplay that, it's so conspicuous that we've screwed the African Americans over much more.

if you honestly think that the US gained land from Mexico through mere land trades, then you haven't heard both sides of the story. From what I've heard from Mexicans and what I've read in books like "Lies My American Teacher Told Me," the US had already conquered the lands they "traded" for with Mexico before any trade talks even took place, monetary compensation was only accepted to cut Mexico's losses. Since Mexico accepted, the US gets to say they made a fair trade - which can be seen as being as fair as a person giving up money to someone who's holding a gun to their head in return for not getting shot.

Think about it - California makes up 17% of the nation's GDP. If California were it's own country,we'd have the 7th highest GDP of the world. Why the hell would Mexico want to give up a land full of so many resources willingly? As far as bad treatment, look at illegal immigrants - they keep the nation running by doing jobs practically no American would take willingly, and at dirt cheap rates to keep our foods and services at a low cost. What do they get in return? INS raids the day before payday, the scorn of Americans who want them gone, and laws which make it impossible to enter the country legally (i.e. 14+ year wait periods to get a green card, if you can get a sponsor and have enough money) .

I get that African Americans did suffer a lot, and I get that it was against their will. However, Mexicans continue to suffer, but no one cares because they figure that no one forced them to come and blah blah blah. Don't even get me started on the whole Native American part of it, because it's even worse. Basically, the moral of the story is that if you don't bitch and moan enough to guilt trip us about how much your people suffered as a result of US involvement, we're not gonna pay attention.

and oh shi... became tl;dr D:
Feb 4, 2009 4:59 PM

Jan 2009
History is something that we should look back at whenever we have the chance. Why do we have to put aside one month every year to look at one specific part of history when it`s taught in school at different points anyway?

If there is to be equality, black history should get the same treatment as white history or hispanic history. It`s all one history split up. Why should we segregate? Is it to try and make up for the mistakes in the past? It wasn`t us and it wasn`t you. It was in the past. It was in the history. We should learn about it, just like we should learn about everything else we`ve done collectively.

Personally I don`t think Black History needs it`s own month. It should be with white history, just like they wanted ;-)

Feb 4, 2009 5:16 PM

Jul 2007
Orbitzz83 said:
Sin said:

if you honestly think that the US gained land from Mexico through mere land trades, then you haven't heard both sides of the story. From what I've heard from Mexicans and what I've read in books like "Lies My American Teacher Told Me," the US had already conquered the lands they "traded" for with Mexico before any trade talks even took place, monetary compensation was only accepted to cut Mexico's losses. Since Mexico accepted, the US gets to say they made a fair trade - which can be seen as being as fair as a person giving up money to someone who's holding a gun to their head in return for not getting shot.

I get that African Americans did suffer a lot, and I get that it was against their will. However, Mexicans continue to suffer, but no one cares because they figure that no one forced them to come and blah blah blah. Don't even get me started on the whole Native American part of it, because it's even worse. Basically, the moral of the story is that if you don't bitch and moan enough to guilt trip us about how much your people suffered as a result of US involvement, we're not gonna pay attention.

and oh shi... became tl;dr D:

Ok apparently you don't understand enough of The Mexican War. For 9 years before the U.S. annexed Texas, Texas had been an independent republic. It was a perfectly fair transaction, but yet the Mexicans refused to recognize this annexation and fought the U.S. The result of the war being that the U.S. received California and New Mexico. This was a result of a war, it was not the result of an injustice of the U.S. done to Mexico in any way, since Mexico was the one who instigated the war to begin with. The U.S. actually took over Mexico City, but was nice enough to allow the Mexicans another shot at peace and gave their city back to them. I don't consider this a wrong doing, I consider it a spoil of war, and a spoil won through fair means.

If Mexicans "continue to suffer" that's too bad since their loss of territory can only be blamed on their previous government. The African Americans LITERALLY had NO choice in their enslavement, and the Native Americans had NO choice in terms of losing their land and did nothing to instigate this loss and had it unfairly taken from them. THAT'S the difference, and THAT'S why they don't have their month as known.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Feb 4, 2009 5:37 PM

Jun 2008
StephanBlackhawk said:
Orbitzz83 said:

That statement in bold made it sound like blacks don't suffer anymore.

Everybody suffers, not just blacks.
I'm back.
Feb 4, 2009 5:38 PM

Nov 2007
Sick-Bastard said:
StephanBlackhawk said:
Orbitzz83 said:

That statement in bold made it sound like blacks don't suffer anymore.

Everybody suffers, not just blacks.

I know but the statement made it sound that way. Considering I am part hispanic, I understand every race suffers, even whites.
sad
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.