Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 11, 2013 3:51 AM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I know this is starting to sound redundant but I have to say it anyway, this was one of the best episodes of the show, and one of the best episodes I've seen of any anime recently.

I could feel her terror when she was waiting for her turn, and the dread when her name was called out. When she froze, I felt awkward and I wanted to tell her to be calm and start reciting. I wanted to tell her that she could do it. Just like Diana and Jayne, I was afraid she would mess it up. But seeing Gilbert gave her the resolve she needed although, of course, her feelings or what she thinks are her feelings for Gilbert and Gilbert's feelings for her are misguided. Its obviously clear that deep down she likes the guy.

But the best part of the whole episode, and certainly one of the most defining moments for Anne's character and the show was her conversation with Diana and Jayne on the carriage-ride back home. Her view of life and the true value of material wealth, of what things in life truly matter made a great impression. Those last line of dialogues had a profound impact on me as a viewer and made me respect her character even more. I think I like Anne a lot more now than I did until the previous episode.

"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jun 15, 2015 10:43 PM

Jul 2011
koreye said:
But the best part of the whole episode, and certainly one of the most defining moments for Anne's character and the show was her conversation with Diana and Jayne on the carriage-ride back home. Her view of life and the true value of material wealth, of what things in life truly matter made a great impression.

This! I love characters and people that see the true value of things. Shiny rocks are only shiny rocks.

I like that she captured the audience with her performance and everyone liked her. :)
Aug 18, 2015 4:55 PM

Sep 2008
Everything Anne said at the end of the episode, aside from being very powerful, highlighted exactly how much she's grown up. It's kind of melancholic to think of Anne at the start of the series and compare her to now. Beautiful episode.
Apr 3, 2016 4:39 AM

Dec 2011
That was a fabulous episode.I have no word to describe it as if i was myself a character in this and feelings all these emotions :).
May 13, 2017 12:39 AM
Jul 2009
I wholeheartedly agree. I'm glad that more people have watched this show in the last couple of years.

The carriage ride conversation is one of my favourite scenes in the series as it shows us just how much of a strong woman Anne was growing up to be. Don't get me wrong, she always had a strong personality, but what I mean is the firmness of her character and resolution. The same girl who was prone to worrying too much about her appearance and daydreaming about the countless worldly charms that she did not posses had become an ever stronger person comfortable in her own skin and proud of her roots. We saw her strong resolution when she overcame her nervousness and doubts of being a "country bumpkin" by giving her best on the stage. By the end of it, she was more beautiful and more radiant than she'd ever been.
Sep 9, 2017 6:32 PM

Feb 2016
Wow what happened, so far Akage no Anne has just been phenomenal since the time-skip.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Dec 8, 2020 8:02 AM

Jul 2019
I still come back to this episode time-to-time. Ending was phenomenal.
Anne's view of world is absolutely gorgeous.

"Please, love this hardship..."

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 49 Discussion

Hakuneii - Jul 20, 2017

7 by 11equalsFish »»
May 12, 1:29 AM

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 16 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Jun 24, 2012

13 by RedSwordHeart »»
Dec 21, 2023 3:57 AM

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 3 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Jun 21, 2012

5 by Dumb »»
Nov 23, 2023 1:13 AM

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 2 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Jan 21, 2012

8 by Dumb »»
Nov 22, 2023 1:31 AM

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 1 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Jan 21, 2012

28 by Dumb »»
Nov 21, 2023 8:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.