Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 11, 2013 12:41 AM

Oct 2009
Everyone keeps saying it's 3D. Bulbapedia is saying it's 3D. But it is not 3D so don't get your hopes up. It has the same 2D isometric appearance as Generation 4 and 5, with the occasional 3D appearance in selected spots. Look at all the game play trailers.

It is annoying that Game Freak still cannot make a proper 3D Pokemon game. The DS itself could handle 3D graphics (Super Mario anyone), so why can't Game Freak do that with the 3DS?
lucjanAug 11, 2013 12:44 AM

Aug 11, 2013 12:44 AM

Aug 2013
Ushbz said:
Everyone keeps saying it's 3D. Bulbapedia is saying it's 3D. But it is not 3D so don't get your hopes up. It has the same 2D isometric appearance as Generation 4 and 5, with the occasional 3D appearance is selected spots. Look at all the game play trailers.

It is annoying that Game Freak still cannot make a proper 3D games. The DS itself could handle 3D grapics (Super Mario anyone), so why can't Game Freak do that with the 3DS?

Watch the E3 footage. They designed it for the 3DS. Bulbapieda got something wrong for once.
"Canaan. You're a victim whose past was taken away by war. And she's a defeated person who lost her past in a power struggle. Soldiers who are born within destruction take hatred as their weapon. Even though you and her became soldiers for the same reason, you both live differently. Listen Canaan, you cannot counter hatred with hatred... ever." -Siam, Canaan
Aug 11, 2013 12:46 AM

Oct 2009
moonkingdomify said:
Ushbz said:
Everyone keeps saying it's 3D. Bulbapedia is saying it's 3D. But it is not 3D so don't get your hopes up. It has the same 2D isometric appearance as Generation 4 and 5, with the occasional 3D appearance is selected spots. Look at all the game play trailers.

It is annoying that Game Freak still cannot make a proper 3D games. The DS itself could handle 3D grapics (Super Mario anyone), so why can't Game Freak do that with the 3DS?

Watch the E3 footage. They designed it for the 3DS. Bulbapieda got something wrong for once.

It's not just Bulba. Everyone I know who plays Pokemon is saying it's 3D. It's splattered everyone on the net.

I'm sure it'll have great functionality. Regardless it would be nice to have a 3D Pokemon game. Game Freak is getting stale.
lucjanAug 11, 2013 1:26 AM

Aug 11, 2013 1:09 AM

May 2013
What in the world are you talking about? Its in 3D with 3D model and everything. Yes, they are going to keep the primary camera angle the same in battle I and such, but its still very much in 3D all around.
Aug 11, 2013 1:15 AM

Oct 2009
lx_theo said:
What in the world are you talking about? Its in 3D with 3D model and everything. Yes, they are going to keep the primary camera angle the same in battle I and such, but its still very much in 3D all around.

Are we seeing the same thing? The graphics, with the exception of them being sharper and slightly more detailed, are the same as Black and White. Yeah we have a new battle system but other than that Nintendo's graphics haven't evolved. What's more puzzling are people like you saying these games will be 3D. X and Y will are designed on an isometric angle. It's the same with Super Mario RPG. They're not actually 3D. 3D is Xenoblade. 3D is Ocarina of time. 3D is Skyrim. Isometric is designed to look 3D-ish, but it's not actually 3D.

Edit: I see what you're saying. It's hard to explain but X and Y aren't the 3D Pokemon games fans have been waiting for. It's 3D but it isn't 3D. What people want is a 3D world in Pokemon. The game gives 3D functionality but the game itself is 2D.
lucjanAug 11, 2013 1:29 AM

Aug 11, 2013 3:06 AM

Feb 2013
Game Freak is GETTING stale? They got there a long time ago, imo. I wouldn't say the games were getting bad, but they weren't really bringing anything super new to the table either.

Pokemon is like Nintendo's CoD. Make a few adjustments to the core concept, but essentially, re-release the same game every year.

I was poke'-pooped after Gold and Silver.
NTADAug 11, 2013 3:11 AM
Aug 11, 2013 3:17 AM

Apr 2013
Pokemon x and y now have a mega evolution lol. Reminds me of digimon.

www.siliconera. com/2013/08/09/pokemon-x-and-pokemon-ys-mega-evolutions-are-like-going-super-saiyan/
Aug 11, 2013 3:35 AM

Oct 2009
Ntad said:
Game Freak is GETTING stale? They got there a long time ago, imo. I wouldn't say the games were getting bad, but they weren't really bringing anything super new to the table either.

Pokemon is like Nintendo's CoD. Make a few adjustments to the core concept, but essentially, re-release the same game every year.

I was poke'-pooped after Gold and Silver.

I personally like Generation 3 and Generation 2 was my favorite. I gave up on Generation 4 and 5 though.

You're right about COD. But Generation 2 was a different than Generation 1. It wasn't until Generation 3 started to become repetitive.

The Director of Game Freak actually said in an interview that he views the Pokemon series like Baseball or Basketball. That the core will always be fun and that it doesn't need to change much. I disgree with this immensely. Video Games aren't Sports. They're an experience. Keeping the fundamentals in a sequel is a must but making it the same thing is different. Game Freak is content in remaking Pokemon every couple years and I don't blame 'em. They rank in millions in sales. But their lack of artistic integrity shows. X/Y is the same game. Nothing new.

Aug 11, 2013 3:38 AM

May 2009
The negativity on MAL about pokémon is astounding. I dont see any problem with the franchise, since they're always adding something new to the battle mechanics. More then COD ever will with a new installment.
I can say the only people that give critique to the game mechanics, are the people who simply do the campaign, then call it a day.
ShoryuukenAug 11, 2013 3:42 AM
Aug 11, 2013 5:17 AM

Oct 2009
Shoryuuken said:
The negativity on MAL about pokémon is astounding. I dont see any problem with the franchise, since they're always adding something new to the battle mechanics. More then COD ever will with a new installment.
I can say the only people that give critique to the game mechanics, are the people who simply do the campaign, then call it a day.

I did say that I didn't blame Game Freak for this. They make millions of dollars on each release so why fix what isn't broken? It's just become overly apparent that Game Freak cares more about money than artistic integrity. Yeah, they make small changes each release, but why not big!?

Aug 11, 2013 6:02 AM

May 2009
Ushbz said:
Shoryuuken said:

I did say that I didn't blame Game Freak for this. They make millions of dollars on each release so why fix what isn't broken? It's just become overly apparent that Game Freak cares more about money than artistic integrity. Yeah, they make small changes each release, but why not big!?

Big changes wouldn't be appreciated by me, even you possibly. What can you possibly change about a simple, yet complicated rock paper scissors mechanic without making the fanbase butthurt? They definitely mastered it at generation 4, I'd be fine with it if they only introduced the new pokés at gen 5. Yet they didn't.

A part of the fanbase will always remain butthurt whatever they're doing. Changing the mechanics drastically at one go are going to make things much MUCH worse and will make the whole fanbase go on a frenzy, trust me on that. Changing the mechanics by tiny bits is the way to go.

But alas, that's my unimportant opinion.
Aug 11, 2013 6:11 AM

Sep 2012
@OP there's footage of the character turning the camera manually so it's 3D gameplay as well.

And pokemon all brings the nostalgia, I think the TV series are pretty shit as for the games they are usually a pretty solid RPG Pokemon Black and Heartgold were great and kept be playing for hours after beating the game.
Aug 11, 2013 12:29 PM

Oct 2009
Shoryuuken said:

Big changes wouldn't be appreciated by me, even you possibly. What can you possibly change about a simple, yet complicated rock paper scissors mechanic without making the fanbase butthurt? They definitely mastered it at generation 4, I'd be fine with it if they only introduced the new pokés at gen 5. Yet they didn't.

A part of the fanbase will always remain butthurt whatever they're doing. Changing the mechanics drastically at one go are going to make things much MUCH worse and will make the whole fanbase go on a frenzy, trust me on that. Changing the mechanics by tiny bits is the way to go.

But alas, that's my unimportant opinion.

A portion of the fanbase is already butthurt. I am kinda sick of playing the same game. Keep the mechanics but add more than just a couple new pokemon. Add a new atmosphere and add familiar faces (they just churn out generic new regions).

Ukkoclap said:
@OP there's footage of the character turning the camera manually so it's 3D gameplay as well.

And pokemon all brings the nostalgia, I think the TV series are pretty shit as for the games they are usually a pretty solid RPG Pokemon Black and Heartgold were great and kept be playing for hours after beating the game.

You missed the point I made about that earlier. Those scenes aren't everywhere. It's just like black and white where you will occasionally find an area that allows 3D navigation. But don't expect your game to be 3D.

If you like the newer games then great. That's why Game Freak makes money. I was actually super hyped about X and Y because I thought they would have full 3D worlds, but they didn't, so now I am kinda angry that Game Freak is being repetitive.

Aug 11, 2013 4:37 PM

Feb 2013
Everyone still needs to remember that the core audience is children.

While those of us who were around when Pokemon first launched are old enough to nitpick over the lack of changes they make now, I think it's evident that they know they can market the games to kids the way they are, still keep them happy and keep the parents forking over the cash.

These days, I have other things to worry about that are more important than Pokemon....like finishing Silent Hill 3. I bought that game on release day and still haven't finished it.
Aug 11, 2013 4:42 PM

Jul 2013
I thought the battles would at least be in 3d like XD Gale of Darkness. Oh well, it'd be asking too much for them to release a shadow pokemon spin off on the 3ds as well as main series.
Aug 11, 2013 10:34 PM

Apr 2012
What's the problem though? I thought X and Y looked great when we're talking about the graphics. I'm pretty excited for X and Y. I don't think I've been this excited for a Pokemon game in a long time. I think it looks fine personally
Aug 11, 2013 11:03 PM

Feb 2013
I don't think you understand what 3D means in terms of game design, if you watch the gameplay trailers, the game is clearly 3D there are multiple shots that show the player moving on a z-axis, that makes the game 3D, if it were 2D it would only have an x and a y axis which means the player can only move up and down and left and right on a horizontal plane, however the addition of a z-axis allows the player to move on vertical plane as well and this is shown multiple times in all of the gameplay trailers.
Aug 12, 2013 1:31 AM

Aug 2009
Ntad said:

Ntad said:
Pokemon is like Nintendo's CoD.

Well, since I'd probably suck at CoD's multiplayer, I should get online with Pokemon and have a perfect kill death ratio.

Aug 12, 2013 1:59 AM

Jul 2013
Ushbz said:
Everyone keeps saying it's 3D. Bulbapedia is saying it's 3D. But it is not 3D so don't get your hopes up. It has the same 2D isometric appearance as Generation 4 and 5, with the occasional 3D appearance in selected spots. Look at all the game play trailers.

It is annoying that Game Freak still cannot make a proper 3D Pokemon game. The DS itself could handle 3D graphics (Super Mario anyone), so why can't Game Freak do that with the 3DS?

What they mean is that there models now not just textures or sprites.
Aug 12, 2013 3:32 AM

May 2013
Ushbz said:

Take a look at the trailers again and tell me that is not 3D. Even if you can't move the camera, it is still 3D models, not 2d sprites like in Pokemon Black and White 2.

What are you smoking, Ush?
Aug 12, 2013 4:37 AM

Jul 2013

It's 3D. It doesn't really matter, anyway. Just as long as the game's good.
Aug 12, 2013 5:21 AM

Oct 2009
CamoBullo said:

It's 3D. It doesn't really matter, anyway. Just as long as the game's good.

Those were the cut scenes I was talking about. Black and White had them too. The other 99% of the game is isometric though.

Aug 12, 2013 11:10 PM

Feb 2013
-DevinTownsend- said:
Ntad said:

Ntad said:
Pokemon is like Nintendo's CoD.

Well, since I'd probably suck at CoD's multiplayer, I should get online with Pokemon and have a perfect kill death ratio.

Don't twist my words, you hentai.
Aug 21, 2013 2:00 PM

May 2009

Hands on gameplay, you can run in all directions.
Aug 21, 2013 5:00 PM

Feb 2013
Shoryuuken said:

Oh snap....so they went and did it.

More topics from this board

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3512 by Strahan »»
20 minutes ago

» total games on your steam library ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 22

50 by Strahan »»
21 minutes ago

» What's the funnest local multiplayer game with friends.

SnipeStrike - Apr 16

13 by Strahan »»
26 minutes ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Apr 25

2 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
5 hours ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

58 by Jentheworld »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.