Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 26, 2009 12:11 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was without a doubt the worst episode of 5d's yet. I know I said that for the last one, but this one was 10 times worse. Writers, nice job shooting feminism in head. And WTF was wrong with her boobs? When did they get so ginormous? Animation was awful, Ruka and Rua's eyes sometimes just freaked me out. There was way too much close ups. And everyone was oh-so-dramatic. Actually, I can't believe that Jack would go on with this. Considering his characterization up to this point, I expected him to walk away after drama started. And, God, they were dramatic!!! In a weird, awkward way. Why does everyone have to speak like they have been consuming funny mushrooms? Can't they discuss stuff like normal people do? But, nooo, everything has to be overly deep and annoyingly theatrical. Why do they have to share everything? OMG, I'm so angry.

I really hope they don't ruin Jack and Carly this way. I mean, you can tell good couples from bad couples easily. Good ones are the ones who make you smile, and bad ones are the ones that make you cover your eyes in embarrassment. And that's how I felt while watching this two episodes. If all of their "romantic" episodes are gonna look like this, they should just drop those subplots, and stick to what they do best. Card games.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 9, 2009 3:35 PM

Sep 2008
Tottaly agree with you, this is getting lame, hope it gets better, with more action and less oversentimental scenes.

Jan 17, 2011 1:08 PM
Nov 2008
I didn't really see the romance in this....just friendship and bonds but it could have been a little less '' emotional'' , a little too much agitation for this but,well ,I've seen much worse so wasn't that bad.
Mar 23, 2011 5:19 AM

Jan 2011
mel-hime said:
I didn't really see the romance in this....just friendship and bonds but it could have been a little less '' emotional'' , a little too much agitation for this but,well ,I've seen much worse so wasn't that bad.

Yup. Every yugioh series never been about romance. It's all about friendship, even Aki and Divine. It just people might think different thing or just think straight about romance, regardless the friendship plot. I mean, card game is the main spotlight but it doesn't mean another genre won't come up.

How can I make this signature appear automatically below that black line? Write in my profile please.

HyoroemonMar 23, 2011 7:22 PM
There is like 2 weeks delay in my recent reading list
I randomly bought discount/second hand manga with cute/mysterious cover.

Use Personal Blacklist extension in Chrome if you just want to Google for a series synopsis, without google slapping MAL score in it.
3/1
Mar 23, 2011 1:45 PM

Jul 2009
The romance isn't developed but it's there. It becomes a little more prominent later on though
Apr 15, 2015 5:22 AM

Nov 2010
Did she know that Yusei had that last trap card?
May 16, 2015 11:24 PM

Apr 2013
Yusei's getting beat up/hurt again. Just when he started to recover from his last injury, too. The duel was pretty symbolic with Yusei destroying the Thorns of Hatred card at the end. I thought it was a very touching ending.

With this, our 4 signers have united!

At this point I like Jack/Carly relations better than Yusei/Aki, but we've seen these two together for only 2 duels, which isn't that long compared to how long Jack and Carly were hanging out. I think there is potential for upward development. I'm still surprised the series is even touching on a romantic sub-plot. People can take it as friendship as well, and I like that it's kind of left open like that.
funlandMay 16, 2015 11:28 PM
Sep 10, 2016 12:21 AM

Jul 2008
Welp, the troops have now gathered.
Nov 3, 2019 7:21 AM

Nov 2016
Yusei reached her. A bit cheesy, but sarisfying overall.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 26, 2020 8:48 PM

Jan 2012
I completely disagree with the post starter. Best episode yet. This show needs more emotional battles Since all they're doing is playing cards. The whole premise of yugioh revolves around how these cards have mystical powers of destiny. In any case, I loved the episode and if you didn't want dramatic, you're watching the wrong damn show. 90% of the show is dramatic children's card games lmao. Complaining about this episode being dramatic means you weren't watching the rest of the series.

And this episode could be romantic (I'd like that) but it wasn't really. Yusei got her to stop being self destructive and got her to accept her family. He didn't ask her to love him. I have no idea where the first poster got those ideas wtf. And how many times did they mention the bonds of friendship? Not romance.

"Drop these subplots and stick to what they do best. Card games." Wait what? The entire yugioh series is about over dramatization of card games and crazy sub plots. People trapped in cards, shadow realm, theft, gambling, Kaiba in a BEWD jet, and other ridiculous stories. This show is based around card games but it's the crazy stories that make the show. What are you watching? If you don't like these wild and dramatic stories you should probably drop the anime and just go play the card game yourself.
GabranthJun 26, 2020 8:58 PM

Jan 27, 2021 8:54 PM

Dec 2011
I also disagree with OP. Yugioh has always been dramatic and dueling within the show is about reaching the other person i.e expression of love. Romantic or otherwise. The movement in this episode is the kind I wish had been used more back in GX, so seeing it in 5D's to emphasize the mood, is lovely to see. The dialogue is still typical and expected Yugioh stuff; Yusei speaks similarly to how [Yami] (censored for spoilers) would, with deep, almost poetic speech.

At this point, I don't see a romance between them. It's more like the start of a friendship (that could potentially lead somewhere, have to wait and see). The duel mostly helped them individually tackle a fear while serving as a point to become close.

Divine's relationship to Aki was a parallel to Kiryu and Yusei. Yusei fears facing Kiryu, but wasn't afraid of Aki, despite both having a reality-altering power. She says they're not friends, but he says they are. So how could he face one friend but not another? How could he love one but not the other? I say love specifically as a term bc that's what he faced her with, unlike her parents when she was little; what they didn't do but should have. Yusei doing this helped her parents understand their feelings, just as how she helped Yusei to understand and calm his own in regards to Kiryu. In reverse, Divine gave Aki purpose (a place in the movement but also at his side), like how Kiryu gave one to Yusei (team satisfaction, and since it's a parallel, it was also at his side).

Classic yugioh love: treated as bonds, elevated above simply romantic, although there's a lot of room for the viewer to forge their own interpretations about what those bonds mean for other people.

But yeah. Martha teasing Yusei last episode was so cute because to me it was to deliberately showcase that she's his mom, teasing her child, always embarrassing, regardless if it's true or not. Family is a focal point in Aki's story afterall, and she's part of Yusei's.

Actually, I can't believe that Jack would go on with this. Considering his characterization up to this point, I expected him to walk away after drama started.

Old Jack would, but the guy's come around since reigniting his bond with Yusei :p

But, nooo, everything has to be overly deep and annoyingly theatrical. Why do they have to share everything? OMG, I'm so angry.

In relation to this, I'll just wrap up and say: onions have layers. Yugioh is an onion. Could be stinky sometimes, but it's good for you!
CMYKJan 27, 2021 9:09 PM
Nov 27, 2021 12:32 PM

Aug 2019
I'm cackling at the fact that so many people bashed this episode even though it was a prime example of character development, which was something that folks said they wanted in the previous episode thread. While this episode isn't my favorite by a long shot, it was a nice resolution to Aki's mental breakdown subplot. I just wish that the duel hadn't ended with Yusei winning since at the end of the day Aki's subplot would've ended either way even if the duel had been left unresolved.
Oct 13, 2022 3:44 PM

Jan 2020
Yusei can't draw the card he needs. What he needs is the heart of the cards.

I feel like, it doesn't necessarily make sense that Stardust Dragon regained its lost attack points. And also, if Akiza didn't want to fight anymore, can't she just forfeit? Was it necessary to have Stardust Dragon deal a finishing blow? I mean, Marik literally forfeit to Yugi in the original, and that was a major battle. Why does this battle need a definitive winner?

Anyway, looks like everyone is united once more! Onto the Dark Signers?

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jun 10, 2023 9:54 AM

Mar 2016
Conflicted about this double episode. At least Aki's father managed to show that he'd realised his errors and that he was prepared to start making amends and trying to reconnect with Aki, even putting himself in harms way which started his fear initially. Feel that Aki forgave him far too easily though. She'd been pushed aside for years so that neglect can't be healed just like that.

Also think Aki's character was given an extreme disservice. Her issue rightly was with her parents, yet she seemed determined to fight Yusei despite being the only one since Divine to accept her. And the amount of whining about Divine. He didn't care about her, he was 'ostracised', he had a personal skyscraper FFS!
Feb 6, 3:24 AM

Jul 2013
The interesting part of this is, while this is an Aki episode, Yusei was also at his lowest point so far. The Kiryu fight had left him insecure, and the interaction with Aki gave him the confidence boost that he needed. He can save someone. He can reach Kiryu.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Episode 140 Discussion

Ozelot - Dec 26, 2010

13 by KrabbeKage21 »»
Mar 28, 12:14 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Episode 154 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kanade-chan - Mar 30, 2011

81 by JustMonaka »»
Mar 4, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Episode 151 Discussion

Hoppy - Mar 9, 2011

33 by JustMonaka »»
Mar 3, 3:57 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Episode 150 Discussion

Hoppy - Mar 2, 2011

30 by JustMonaka »»
Mar 3, 3:21 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Episode 149 Discussion

Hoppy - Feb 23, 2011

19 by JustMonaka »»
Mar 3, 2:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.