Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Jan 4, 2021 7:19 PM

Jan 2016
Strong anime. It was a really good story with a female lead. I enjoyed watching how Chagum went from this entitled prince to a more humbled person. Also, I found it kinda funny how the last line was "Man I shoulda eaten Tanda's soup"
Jan 10, 2021 11:23 AM

Apr 2020
Wholesum
Nice to see hes grown up a lil
7/10
Pretty Gud!
Jan 21, 2021 4:59 PM
Apr 2016
The final battle with all those octopus shaped monsters was a bit anticlimatic, i was expecting something more epic but i liked this overall, the art was impressive, the music was great and the few fight scenes were amazing, wish there were more of them, i am also not a big fan of all those slice of life episodes in the middle part and i think the pace of this series is a bit too slow at times.

What i did like is the characters, they are all very down to earth and act like normal people, it's refreshing that there were no good and evil characters in this story, everyone did what seemed the right thing to do at each time, Chagum especially was great, i was expecting him to be the typical unbearable whiny or spoiled little prince but he behaved pretty stoically and responsibly almost all the time considering his situation. The ending made me shed manly tears when Chagum and Balsa said goodbye to each other, all in all i rate it a 8/10.
charlieman999Jan 22, 2021 11:35 AM
Jan 22, 2021 1:20 PM

Jul 2017
For the amount of writing in the forums I've done for these episodes (except the first few admittedly due to me being a bit tired and lazy), I really don't have much more to say other than this episode being such an excellent and bittersweet way to finish off the show.

The novels do continue the story on and infact, this anime was only the adaptation of the first book with a ton of original episodes to flesh out the show a lot more by Kenji Kamiyama's brilliant scriptwriting. But he and the staff did such a great job that I feel more than satisfied with the first book being the only one animated, as it ends on a great note.

The part where Balsa offered Chagum to run away with them was fun but also bittersweet again, since we know that he in his real heart won't accept that offer and would choose to help his family with running the kingdom, but Balsa offering shows that no matter what happens in the future, if he's able to get in contact with her, she'll run to him and help out with anything no matter what. It's goodbye for now but never a goodbye for eternity was the message given. Him crying as he sends her off was really touching too, they both really had a great mother-son bond right there, and its tough to see them let each other go but it was meant to be. They can only stop so many fateful occurrences from happening.

Overall, this show was a masterpiece. I gave it a 9 initially, but sort of lost my memories of this show but after the rewatch, it's left me stunned as I hung on every word and action this show was taking, every parallel and bit of progression this show was making, every ounce of characterization and growth that was happening, especially with Balsa and Chagum's bond together, and the finish wrapped the present up beautifully. This truly is one of the best anime I've ever seen, and I'm sad that there isn't more of it, but forever grateful regardless.

Thank you Nahoko Uehashi-sensei, Kenji Kamiyama and Production I.G for creating this anime adaptation. One of the easiest 10/10s I can ever give.
Mar 31, 2021 11:12 PM

Feb 2020
Amazing ride.... did quite enjoy it truly an anime worth rewatching after couple of years
Jul 13, 2021 6:00 PM

Jan 2021
What a fantastic adventure. I can say that I genuinely enjoyed every aspect of this. This is the second of Uehashi's novels to be given adaptations and both are great (with the other being Kemono no Souja Erin). Waiting for the adaptation of the Deer King next, hoping that will be great as well.
Opti-Jul 13, 2021 6:21 PM
Mar 10, 2022 7:09 AM
Jan 2018
Didn’t want it to end so I took as long as possible to finish it lol.

this only being one volume of 10 was surprising but the anime gives a conclusion in away then most adaptions do,

Next I will try and find the manga which adapts the 2nd vol and continues from the anime where barsa goes back to her hometown
Aug 19, 2022 3:25 AM

Sep 2018
They said "fuck all you shippers, we'll throw a bone with the confession, but there will be no actual romance here folks", lol, another case of "it happens after the anime finishes". I see the original source continues, something surely happens there with Balsa and Tanda.

Anyway, after finishing Twelve Kingdoms not so long ago, Seirei no Moribito had some stiff competition here. Doesn't quite capture the magic of the world building of Twelve Kingdoms, but easily surpasses the battle animation and choreography side of it. A lot more simpler to follow, which had it's merits, even though the world of Twelve Kingdoms was more interesting. Youko and Balsa are both fantastic characters, I probably even prefer Balsa over Youko, even though Youko has a bit more depth to her, Balsa is just too badass in the end. Really fun story and adventure overall, I give it the same rating at 9/10.
Sep 25, 2022 3:29 AM
Sep 2022
All anime endings seem to make me feel sad and empty.. this is a recurring anime thing yeah?
Nov 28, 2022 1:14 PM
Oct 2018
I watched this years ago initially because Balsa's design was interesting to me compared to the usual objectification of women in anime.
However, the concepts in the story were too slow paced & to keep me engaged at the time. I lost interest.

Fast forward to now, i can honestly say i'm glad i watched it again.
Balsa doesn't necessarily get a major character arc, compared to chagum, but most of the meat in her character is in her past.

- The writing is good
- Chagum's arc was decent, he easily could've been the worst/annoying character but he's can hold his own as a character with Balsa

- The music is also well composed (same artist that composed Gundam 00)

- Side characters are decent

- The plot does not take long to get going, and it also knows when to settle & do some character exploration

- Female lead is well written, and her fight style blends well with her build & skillset; She's not an eyecandy prop nor a contrived empowerment proxy. She's well written, she's cool, she gets hurt, not invincible but she's experienced and knows what she's doing.

- World building isn't Avatar the last airbender good, but it's okay.

The worst part i'd say is there's a lot of lore to digest, regarding spirit worlds and mechanics that are so specific, it might lose some people like it did me way back when.

But if you can immerse, the whole project is like an elaborate "Yojimbo" tale.

I recommend it.
Going to read the manga next to see if there's more than likely content that wasn't in the show.
Jan 25, 2023 4:37 PM
Nov 2013
Amazing. I haven't been this engrossed in a series in a while. Balsa was a wonderful breath of fresh air MC. While she's amazingly strong, mentally and physically, she has her flaws like every human out there. She's relatable. She's living her life with no real purpose, saving others as a sort of escapism for her guilt, and then Chagum comes along. We don't often get anime about motherhood- in fact I don't believe I've ever seen one before this- and the fact is, as much as she influenced him, he also influenced her. Through him she learned to love, to protect, to have a meaning to life that isn't just for oneself. She grew as a person, and I am glad she didn't just settle down with Tanma.

That's another thing-- her relationship with him is so real it hurts. There's the pining Tanma, whose love has cooled throughout the years like it tends to do. There's Balsa, who doesn't reciprocate his feelings but is starting to consider it, because she cares for him, because having a child made her think of a simple life and Tanma is the simplest choice to take. She'll probably end up settling down with him, which I don't mind, but will be a bit bittersweet. That's just how life is.

And one more thing- those necklaces she had at the end, my theory is that Chagum gave her his, and the other one came from her own father as a child. We don't know much of her roots after all.
Feb 7, 2023 4:04 AM

Sep 2016
That was a great ending. Seeing how far Chagum grew up was really nice. They didn't outright says it, but Balsa is probably going to put Jiguro's soul to rest by telling him about her journey. Overall, very good series! 8/10
Mar 1, 2023 7:42 AM

Dec 2017
how Arslan should've been!! it hurts so much when the i finished the last episode. will miss every bit of this series. 

Apr 24, 2023 12:13 PM
Apr 2023
Beatifull, opressed by the death and the destiny, hard and sad. Love too kenji's kawai music
Aug 24, 2023 7:51 AM

May 2015
Funny how they bath fully clothed but I guess it's better than seeing an old woman naked lmao
Mikado and his entire royal court save for Chagum's mother (and Warrior Eight to some extent) are fucking trash tbh.
And seriously if you don't separate with Balsa just hire her as your royal bodyguard, peace of cake OR just run with her to Kanbal for real lol
Anyways this anime was just as good as I expected and wanted it to be IF not better and was really, really heartwarming and wholesome BUT I wish it revolved around Balsa herself, I mean it does, she's a bodyguard and the entire story is about her saving a life, but... it revolves around that life rather than her life like the title itself suggests...
Anyways, anyways this anime desperately NEEDS a 2nd season set in Kanbal, sucks they killed Logsam off screen in the flashback, a 2nd season with a vengeance plot would've been lit AF.
I know this anime is based on a light novel series and I would LOVE to read it if there's more to it post the ending of this anime, else it'll be pointless.
This anime is the 2nd anime out of several I had planned to watch a long, long time ago and postponed for so long, the first was disappointing, this one is gonna leave a gap I don't know how I'm going to fill :( A similar anime may do, may not, as I really, really want more of Balsa right now and not something else be it similar or not lol but nothing can be done about it :/

animejas said:
The novels do continue the story on and infact, this anime was only the adaptation of the first book

This is what I needed to know, now where to find those remaining 9 books fully translated, ha... sucks they aren't adapted into 9 full fledged sequels...

extralie said:
That was a great ending. Seeing how far Chagum grew up was really nice. They didn't outright says it, but Balsa is probably going to put Jiguro's soul to rest by telling him about her journey. Overall, very good series! 8/10

I thought she was going to visit her father's grave, Jiguro should be buried somewhere in Shin-Yogo, but I guess the latter makers more sense.

LAST EDIT:
Looks like there's a manga alternative WITH a sequel based on the 2nd book, I was only aware of the alternative but learning there is a continuation too which is fully translated is great news for me! Better and faster than reading a novel tbh lol
TheBerserkerAug 24, 2023 8:14 AM
Aug 24, 2023 9:30 AM

Aug 2020
Oh this series was truly some kind of amazing. Chagum's growth was surprising, and Balsa gotta be one of the best female leads I've ever seen... That was an experience...

8/10 for me. A future rewatch would be more than welcome.

Sep 7, 2023 10:12 PM
Oct 2021
Now this is what I call an ending, I got a little sneak peek at Balsa in the bath, Madam Torogai was on a roll with her jokes, and the parting scene from Balsa and Chagum was far too emotional; they laughed and Chagum cried. Couldn't see this being any better. The ending itself is a 10/10 experience. But the entire anime imo opinion earned the 9/10 rating. Was so close too. If it wasn't those damn echoes for which I might just blame the fact that I was watching using a pirated site. This experience would've been far more golden, it was just a little off-putting that's all. That birth scene could've been a little better in terms of voice acting and direction. And finally one question that has haunted me since I saw in a forum in the previous early episodes, how did Chagum and Balsa escape that poisonous gas valley? All these considered played only a miniature part in the enjoyment of the entire show and as such way less damage than I make it sound. I just wanna stay here a little more😭😭😭😭. I'm gonna miss this quality of anime. Really hard to find that's for sure.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

windborn - Jul 1, 2007

54 by Safrichh »»
Mar 2, 7:37 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 15 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jul 24, 2007

46 by WIIXAnd »»
Feb 26, 2:35 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 12 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jun 30, 2007

45 by Safrichh »»
Feb 12, 8:20 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mild_even - Jun 18, 2007

55 by Safrichh »»
Jan 6, 7:54 PM

» Why does balsa leave for kambal in the end (her hometown)

Kitsune_089 - Dec 13, 2023

9 by KitsuFrost »»
Jan 5, 10:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.