Forums

"What's with all the innocent guy characters being tools to tsundere?"

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jun 28, 2013 4:49 PM

Dec 2012
Red_Keys said:
tsudecimo said:
Oh Haruhi, that fucking cunt. It blows my mind that she has 10974 favorites...
I've heard so many mixed things about this series.

I want to watch it, because apparently the main character is one of the sarcastic types, kind of like Oreki from Hyouka. And I've heard the movie sequel or whatever is nothing short of amazing.

But then I've heard that Haruhi is an insufferable cunt to ever character. And then that endless 8 shit. Whatever that is.

I'm kind of skeptical about starting it.

Kyon is cynical like Oreki. He is a better character imo his monologues are pretty good but he is still submissive to Harhui which ruins his character for me, he does everything she asks for no matter how selfish and stupid it is and he doesn't always help the people Haruhi bully.

I say watch it, it might provide you with new material to rage over lol.
Jun 28, 2013 4:49 PM

Aug 2012
Red_Keys said:
But then I've heard that Haruhi is an insufferable cunt to ever character.
Well, to be fair, it only gets extremely irritating at one point near the end. However, that was the exact intent, as even Kyon called her out on it.
And then that endless 8 shit. Whatever that is.
It's bullshit. Watch the first two iterations then skip to the 8th iteration. You'll miss nothing.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Jun 28, 2013 4:51 PM

Oct 2010
The problem with Haruhi is how people have forgotten that she's supposed to be a spoiled bitch with a massive latent superpower, making other characters' lives difficult to endure as they have to please any of their desires in order to have the world safe another day.

She's not even a reliable picture of a tsundere. Or at least, her tsundere side is the least blatant reason for her aggresive and bitchy behaviour.

About Endless Eight...

Jun 28, 2013 4:52 PM

Apr 2011
jal90 said:
The problem with Haruhi is how people have forgotten that she's supposed to be a spoiled bitch with a massive latent superpower, making other people's lives difficult to endure as they have to please any of their desires in order to have the world safe another day.

She's not even a reliable picture of a tsundere. Or at least, her tsundere side is the least blatant reason for her aggresive and bitchy behaviour.

Endless Eight is quite good, though.

Why do you think Endless Eight is good?
Jun 28, 2013 4:53 PM

Dec 2012
Ghost-Lightning said:
I can't say Haruhi's character was to blame really (I don't remember her being a bitch; I actually recall her being considered something of a "weirdo" by the show's other characters), for me it was just that I felt bored watching it.

How? she is a bitch to the boob girl and almost everyone. She bullies anyone to get what she wants. Her main problem is that she is bored with how ''normal'' the world is and all that happened because she realized she is not a ''special'' person when she was a kid.
Jun 28, 2013 4:54 PM

Jan 2008
Not all tsunderes are physically abusive. Maybe you just don't like abusive or sadistic characters, not tsunderes in general.
Jun 28, 2013 4:55 PM

Apr 2011
Paul said:
Not all tsunderes are physically abusive. Maybe you just don't like abusive or sadistic characters, not tsunderes in general.

I still find character's that aren't honest with themselves to be very annoying.
Jun 28, 2013 4:56 PM

Apr 2009
tsudecimo said:
Red_Keys said:
tsudecimo said:
Oh Haruhi, that fucking cunt. It blows my mind that she has 10974 favorites...
I've heard so many mixed things about this series.

I want to watch it, because apparently the main character is one of the sarcastic types, kind of like Oreki from Hyouka. And I've heard the movie sequel or whatever is nothing short of amazing.

But then I've heard that Haruhi is an insufferable cunt to ever character. And then that endless 8 shit. Whatever that is.

I'm kind of skeptical about starting it.

Kyon is cynical like Oreki. He is a better character imo his monologues are pretty good but he is still submissive to Harhui which ruins his character for me, he does everything she asks for no matter how selfish and stupid it is and he doesn't always help the people Haruhi bully.

I say watch it, it might provide you with new material to rage over lol.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Why these guys have the nerve to accept being tools to tsundere like this? I mean, Kyon KNOWS that Haruhi's intentions are bullstink, yet he still goes to her and follows and do her bidding. Thats really stupid, even if it is JUST for the sake of keeping the world safe, that's no excuse to have anything to do with her. The worlds full of idiots as it is, so why does it matter wasting your own life to become a tool to the biggest brat in history and watch others suffer for it? Making her into a god-moder, is just beyond ridiculous. It's like accepting the fact that our god is the devil in the form of a girl and we have to obey and suffer for his/her sake.
Jun 28, 2013 4:56 PM

Dec 2012
jal90 said:
The problem with Haruhi is how people have forgotten that she's supposed to be a spoiled bitch with a massive latent superpower, making other characters' lives difficult to endure as they have to please any of their desires in order to have the world safe another day.

So is Kirino and Louise. Their character and personality was on purpose and had a lot of relevance to the plot but that doesn't make them any less of a spoiled cunts.

Haruhi is a tsundere but that was hardly the focus of her character or the anime.
Jun 28, 2013 4:57 PM

Sep 2012
tsudecimo said:
Ghost-Lightning said:
I can't say Haruhi's character was to blame really (I don't remember her being a bitch; I actually recall her being considered something of a "weirdo" by the show's other characters), for me it was just that I felt bored watching it.

How? she is a bitch to the boob girl and almost everyone. She bullies anyone to get what she wants. Her main problem is that she is bored with how ''normal'' the world is and all that happened because she realized she is not a ''special'' person when she was a kid.

I see. Again, I only watched the first three episodes, and it was some time ago so I may not be totally accurate in my recollection.

So maybe Red_Keys may not like it.
Jun 28, 2013 4:57 PM

Oct 2010
Nidstang said:

Well, I spent quite a lot of time in this thread dealing with this issue.

But basically, I see and respect the intention of the arc, the effort put on it that for me puts it aside from being an easy troll movement, and the fact it is true to what it wants to transmit.
Jun 28, 2013 4:58 PM

Apr 2009
Nidstang said:
Paul said:

I still find character's that aren't honest with themselves to be very annoying.

Exactly. They take forever to be honest with themselves. Not only that, show some backbone to be kind to others.
Jun 28, 2013 4:58 PM

Oct 2010
tsudecimo said:
So is Kirino and Louise. Their character and personality was on purpose and had a lot of relevance to the plot but that doesn't make them any less of a spoiled cunts.

Nope, but that doesn't make the anime intentions with this character a failure. I wouldn't care about people who say that Haruhi is a spoiled cunt if they weren't actually trying to deny the show's merit with that statement.
Jun 28, 2013 5:01 PM

Apr 2009
Paul said:

Hmm, you know, I never thought of it like that. I guess thats why I always have a liking to the tolerable ones like Asuna (SAO), Saber (Fate/Stay Night), Kyo (Fruits Basket), and so on and not those types that you mentioned. And you're right, not all of them are like that, though it still sad we don't see much of those tolerable ones anymore.
Jun 28, 2013 5:05 PM

Aug 2012
jal90 said:
tsudecimo said:
Nope, but that doesn't make the anime intentions with this character a failure. I wouldn't care about people who say that Haruhi is a spoiled cunt if they weren't actually trying to deny the show's merit with that statement.
Simple version:

Anime's Intent: Make Kirino/Louise likeable.
Process: Make Kirino/Louise a spoiled bitch.
Result: Epic failure.

Anime's Intent: Make Haruhi hated.
Process: Make Haruhi a spoiled bitch.
Result: Success.
Jun 28, 2013 5:07 PM

Dec 2012
Nidstang said:
Paul said:

I hate how tsundere is such a generic character trope, there are rarely any original tsundere out there but anime is a business I guess.
jal90 said:
tsudecimo said:

Who said anything about the show being a failure ? Like I said I understand why they act this way be it Haruhi or Kirino and it's relevance to the plot. I am only commenting about how ''annoying'' their personalities are. But if I were to comment on the anime itself I would say it's mediocre at best. It gained all of it's popularity because of gimmicks not because the show was actually good.
Jun 28, 2013 5:10 PM

Apr 2011
jal90 said:
Nidstang said:

Well, I spent quite a lot of time in this thread dealing with this issue.

But basically, I see and respect the intention of the arc, the effort put on it that for me puts it aside from being an easy troll movement, and the fact it is true to what it wants to transmit.

My interpretation of it was basically:

"Oh let's repeat this to make it realistic to the course of events in the show!" Though I wasn't impressed.
Jun 28, 2013 5:11 PM

Apr 2009
gamer2710 said:
jal90 said:
tsudecimo said:
Simple version:

Hey, now that you mentioned that, i did remember that there are times where they make characters into mary-sue's for comedy purposes and give us a reason to hate them so much. It can be done right, so long its for comedy or to show how mary-sues like Haruhi are so bad. Maybe thats why it got so successful, yet feels overrated at times.
Jun 28, 2013 5:11 PM

Oct 2010
tsudecimo said:
Who said anything about the show being a failure ? Like I said I understand why they act this way be it Haruhi or Kirino and it's relevance to the plot. I am only commenting about how ''annoying'' their personalities are. But if I were to comment on the anime itself I would say it's mediocre at best. It gained all of it's popularity because of gimmicks not because the show was actually good.

Sorry if I sounded like I was judging you, when I'm actually talking about general attitudes I've seen more often than anything in these forums; mainly as a response to the idea of Haruhiism I guess.
Jun 28, 2013 5:13 PM

Aug 2012
starwarriorrobby said:
gamer2710 said:
jal90 said:
tsudecimo said:
Simple version:

Hey, now that you mentioned that, i did remember that there are times where they make characters into mary-sue's for comedy purposes and give us a reason to hate them so much. It can be done right, so long its for comedy or to show how mary-sues like Haruhi are so bad. Maybe thats why it got so successful, yet feels overrated at times.
Except all three have cases where their bitchiness is played straight for drama. The Familiar of Zero was particularly bad in this regard.
Jun 28, 2013 5:14 PM

Dec 2012
starwarriorrobby said:
i did remember that there are times where they make characters into mary-sue's for comedy purposes and give us a reason to hate them so much. It can be done right

Medaka box comes to mind.
Jun 28, 2013 5:20 PM

Apr 2009
jal90 said:
tsudecimo said:

Sorry if I sounded like I was judging you, when I'm actually talking about general attitudes I've seen more often than anything in these forums; mainly as a response to the idea of Haruhiism I guess.

Ohh, I see. None of the negative stuff bothers you that much, because you only focus on the bright sides in there, or the positives. Or maybe feeling in terms of a guilty pleasure to this anime.
Jun 28, 2013 5:25 PM

Apr 2009
tsudecimo said:
starwarriorrobby said:
i did remember that there are times where they make characters into mary-sue's for comedy purposes and give us a reason to hate them so much. It can be done right

Aww cuss. I knew this anime's gonna be brought up soon. I freakin' knew it.
Medaka Box is just about as bad and pretentious as Haruhi, but coming close. I've seen some episodes of that, and I just dropped because it screams "God-mode Mary-Sue" all over it and most of the characters are all psychos. But I'll admit, the action and animation in there are all a small guilty pleasure for me. It is Gainax after all.
Jun 28, 2013 5:30 PM

Dec 2012
starwarriorrobby said:
tsudecimo said:
starwarriorrobby said:

Medaka Box is just about as bad and pretentious as Haruhi, but coming close. I've seen some episodes of that, and I just dropped because it screams "God-mode Mary-Sue" all over it and most of the characters are all psychos. But I'll admit, the action and animation in there are all a small guilty pleasure for me. It is Gainax after all.

Lol? It's a satire at battle shounens. Medaka is a mary sue and overpowered and the show is fully aware of it, there is a whole arc in the manga that breaks the fourth wall and makes fun of shounen MC hax. I suggest reading the manga but okay.
Jun 28, 2013 6:05 PM

Apr 2009
tsudecimo said:
starwarriorrobby said:
tsudecimo said:
starwarriorrobby said:

Lol? It's a satire at battle shounens. Medaka is a mary sue and overpowered and the show is fully aware of it, there is a whole arc in the manga that breaks the fourth wall and makes fun of shounen MC hax. I suggest reading the manga but okay.
Hmm, I have checked out some recent piece of the manga. Its looking pretty fair so far. and by shonen MC hax, which do you mean?
Jun 28, 2013 6:08 PM

Jan 2008
starwarriorrobby said:
tsudecimo said:
starwarriorrobby said:
tsudecimo said:
starwarriorrobby said:

Hmm, I have checked out some recent piece of the manga. Its looking pretty fair so far. and by shonen MC hax, which do you mean?

Shounen MC are almost always over powered in one way or another. Medaka Box makes fun of that. There's even an example under Plot Armor page in TV Tropes.

"The reason the Arc Villain won't start her plans yet is because Medaka is the main character, and thus guaranteed to defeat her if she is challenged."
Jun 28, 2013 6:13 PM

Apr 2009
Paul said:
starwarriorrobby said:
tsudecimo said:
starwarriorrobby said:
tsudecimo said:
starwarriorrobby said:

Shounen MC are almost always over powered in one way or another. Medaka Box makes fun of that. There's even an example under Plot Armor page in TV Tropes.

"The reason the Arc Villain won't start her plans yet is because Medaka is the main character, and thus guaranteed to defeat her if she is challenged."

Hmm the only characters that I can think of thats overpowered through plot armor are Superman, Shirou (Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works), and of course, Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach).
Jun 28, 2013 6:24 PM

Dec 2012
What Paul said and I doubt that you will find a character like [him] anywhere else. A character that wants to lose, a good loser.
Jun 28, 2013 6:35 PM

Apr 2009
tsudecimo said:
What Paul said and I doubt that you will find a character like [him] anywhere else. A character that wants to lose, a good loser.

So is he bad as a main character? 'Cause from what I saw before, he seems more on the lines of an anti-hero or something due to his psychotic nature.

As for being the character that wants to lose, there is actually one person I can think of that's like that. His name is Ash Ketchum.
Jun 28, 2013 7:50 PM

Jun 2012
Red_Keys said:
Oh it's this thread again... well..

It's the stupid ass virgin white knight attitude.

Attention from a female, whether it be negative or positive, is still attention from a female. And all attention from a female is good and glorious and enviable and beautiful and great. She smacks you in the face? You're lucky, because her glorious hand graced you with it's contact. I find this attitude disgusting and pathetic.

I dropped Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka? of the Dead because of this stupid fucking attitude that radiated from the show. Ayumu was treated worse than dog piss, and we're supposed to like the characters doing it. Fuck that.

Characters get treated like complete shit, and the fanbase still has the audacity to be jealous of them (and then hate them too).

I'm not sure the masochistic attitude in a lot of anime really stems from masochism itself, but more from insufficient self respect and confidence from the fanbase.

I mean, can't you see how utterly offended people become once Kyoani made a show about *GHASP* attractive, non-loser-bitch-ass guys? OH THE HORROR. OTHER GUYS MORE ATTRACTIVE THAN ME.

I haven't seen Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka? of the Dead (and I really, really don't want to). But I agree with all of this. It's too bad too. A lot of the time anime with this kind of bullshit have other things that are good about it, and therefore represents wasted potential. Depending on the ratio of bullshit to quality, I may still watch it all the way through.
Jun 28, 2013 7:56 PM

Jun 2013
Dirty bitches, that happens because the MC doesn't slap them, he should be a true man and hit them, so they would learn to respect the men.
¡VIVA ESPAÑA!
Jun 28, 2013 8:12 PM

Sep 2012
Why can't all tsunderes be cute like Kurisu from S;G.
Jun 28, 2013 8:17 PM

Aug 2012
Jauregui said:
Masochism?
Jun 28, 2013 8:44 PM

Apr 2009
gamer2710 said:
Jauregui said:
Masochism?
Yes masochism and the fact that those abusive, sadistic types are what almost everyone, even japan, really wants. And yeah, I agree. Kurisu is also a cool tsundere I like, and actually feel sorry for. Even after having to work with a self-absorbed sociopath like Hououin-Kyoma (Rintarou Okabe)
Jun 28, 2013 8:45 PM

Jan 2008
starwarriorrobby said:
gamer2710 said:
Jauregui said:
Masochism?
Yes masochism and the fact that those abusive, sadistic types are what almost everyone, even japan, really wants. And yeah, I agree. Kurisu is also a cool tsundere I also like, and feel sorry for. Even after having to work with a self-absorbed sociopath like Hououin-Kyoma (Rintarou Okabe)

He's not a sociopath, he's a maddo scientisto.
Jun 28, 2013 8:55 PM

Apr 2009
Paul said:
He's not a sociopath, he's a maddo scientisto.

Oh right, mad scientist then. Lolz
Jun 28, 2013 8:55 PM

Sep 2012
I missed the Haruhi discussion.
Actually Haruhi is the only abusive tsundere I like.
I don't know, IMO Haruhi is more like a sociopath, she's a bitch because she doesn't know how to deal with people. She's a weirdo that has always been alone.
But at the end of the tv serie you can see she's starting to develop

I haven't read the rest of the novels but I bet all my internetz points that she will become less bitchy and a most friendly and honest with her feelings person.
That's what I hope...
Jun 28, 2013 8:57 PM

Aug 2012
starwarriorrobby said:
Kurisu is also a cool tsundere I like, and actually feel sorry for. Even after having to work with a self-absorbed sociopath like Hououin-Kyoma (Rintarou Okabe)
But wasn't she the one who imposed on him in the beginning? She could've opted out, but come on. Okabe wasn't a loser. At least, not your typical can't-find-balls-to-confess-love loser.
Jun 28, 2013 9:02 PM

Apr 2009
Jauregui said:
I missed the Haruhi discussion.
Actually Haruhi is the only abusive tsundere I like.
I don't know, IMO Haruhi is more like a sociopath, she's a bitch because she doesn't know how to deal with people. She's a weirdo that has always been alone.
But at the end of the tv serie you can see she's starting to develop

I haven't read the rest of the novels but I bet all my internetz points that she will become less bitchy and a most friendly and honest with her feelings person.
That's what I hope...

Ah I guess I can understand that. But yeah, I hope so too. I would like to see how Haruhi will change for the better than how she still acts in the anime. The movie, however, at least it shows her opposite side in the alternate universe. That version of Haruhi I liked better than that original universe one. But if it's true that she's changing better in the novels and all, then I'll TRY and give her one more chance. One more chance. Since the anime didn't go all the way through, then of course the novels would go deeper than that. Just like how SAO is doing. But then again, I got bored of it as I moved one in the GGO Saga and never go back again. But i know its going further and deeper in the story now.
Jun 28, 2013 9:02 PM

Apr 2011
I guess some people are lonely enough to desire any attention from a girl.
"Reality is a story the minds tells itself. An artificial structure conjured into being by the calcium ion exchange of a million synaptic fringes"
Jun 28, 2013 9:03 PM

Apr 2009
gamer2710 said:
starwarriorrobby said:
Kurisu is also a cool tsundere I like, and actually feel sorry for. Even after having to work with a self-absorbed sociopath like Hououin-Kyoma (Rintarou Okabe)
But wasn't she the one who imposed on him in the beginning? She could've opted out, but come on. Okabe wasn't a loser. At least, not your typical can't-find-balls-to-confess-love loser.
Hmm true.
Jun 28, 2013 9:09 PM

Apr 2009
MantisShrimp said:
I guess some people are lonely enough to desire any attention from a girl.
Hmm true. It can happen to people that way now and then. Either that or masochism.
Jauregui said:
starwarriorrobby said:

Yes, the anime needs to get deeper into the novels, becuase let's face it. If it wasn't for the movie (the 4 Vol of the novel) probably Nagato wouldn't be as popular as she is now.
True. After all, Yuki, along with Raven from Teen Titans, is one of the reasons why I actually loved Kuudere and Dandere ALOT more than the other -dere archtypes. But yeah, the movie did milk the popularity out on Yuki alot. It's no wonder I keep finding manga volumes based around her lately.
AversaOct 11, 2013 1:53 PM
Jun 28, 2013 9:14 PM

Sep 2012
starwarriorrobby said:

Yes, the anime needs to get deeper into the novels, becuase let's face it. If it wasn't for the movie (the 4 Vol of the novel) probably Nagato wouldn't be as popular as she is now.
Jun 5, 2014 10:11 AM

Oct 2012
gamer2710 said:
starwarriorrobby said:

No. She was just freaked out at his earlier attitude(almost stripping her clothes off, you know why lol) towards her. That's the reason she went a bit harsh on him.
sali511Jun 7, 2014 1:50 AM
Jun 5, 2014 11:03 AM

Jun 2013
Wouldn't it be interesting to switch the genders around a bit? Imagine watching a boy being your typical tsundere or yandere. With all the pros and cons that brings.

This would be a typical first episode of such a show:
Girl wakes up from a dream. She has been calling out some random boy's name in her sleep.. Her childhood friend who is a boy is sitting in her bed with light clothing on. After a short conversation, the boy who is a tsundere smacks the living shit out of the girl because he got embarrassed. He runs off yelling "baka" while crying. The girl, who now lies on the floor covered in blood in a funny position, says "what did I do?" OPENING STARTS!
Jun 5, 2014 12:02 PM

Mar 2014
AnimeSweden said:
Wouldn't it be interesting to switch the genders around a bit? Imagine watching a boy being your typical tsundere or yandere. With all the pros and cons that brings.

This would be a typical first episode of such a show:
Girl wakes up from a dream. She has been calling out some random boy's name in her sleep.. Her childhood friend who is a boy is sitting in her bed with light clothing on. After a short conversation, the boy who is a tsundere smacks the living shit out of the girl because he got embarrassed. He runs off yelling "baka" while crying. The girl, who now lies on the floor covered in blood in a funny position, says "what did I do?" OPENING STARTS!

I would watch that xD
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jun 5, 2014 12:09 PM
Apr 2008
Helder01 said:
Dirty bitches, that happens because the MC doesn't slap them, he should be a true man and hit them, so they would learn to respect the men.

Hei is an example of what MC should do when there lolis are acting violently.
Jun 5, 2014 12:09 PM

Apr 2013
Hentai Shioujo is nothing like the generic tsundere .
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Jun 5, 2014 12:36 PM

Apr 2010
Aeonic said:
Helder01 said:

Living the dream.
Jun 5, 2014 12:41 PM

Dec 2013
antonn said:
Aeonic said:
Helder01 said:

Living the dream.

I'd forgotten about that. Good thing it wasn't made in the US. The studio would have been burned down and its members incarcerated.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Disney Japan Executive Promises to Censor Anime ( 1 2 )

rohan121 - Yesterday

66 by Adnash »»
2 minutes ago

» Ever stopped watching an anime bc you like it so much ?

Yonahim_Zz - Today

28 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
3 minutes ago

» Overall are you happy with anime released these past few seasons/years lately? :)

Rinrinka - 42 minutes ago

8 by GOL_D_EN »»
4 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

998 by zaverix »»
6 minutes ago

» Does it bother you to think how much time we burn waiting for new anime?

Zimmu - 3 hours ago

20 by Adnash »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.